Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

New Zunes, now I'm kinda regretting my iPod purchase

Old 12-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts
Yay! Zune 30's are experiencing a simultaneous freezeup

http://gizmodo.com/5121311/30gb-zune...re-all-at-once

I noticed mine frozen this morning. I left it at home to run the battery down.

Someone on the Zune dev team is going to be so fired today.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:16 AM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
not sure i'd think it were so funny if it was one of my ipods...but still funny.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:40 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
A Zune virus!
Old 12-31-2008, 11:56 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
more microsoft crap lol.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:00 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,486 Likes on 6,356 Posts
Old 12-31-2008, 12:15 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The couple articles I've read said that the problem is leaving these things completely unresponsive. So the obvious question is, how are you going to get a patch applied if the unit is essentially bricked?
Old 12-31-2008, 01:45 PM
Sanest Florida Man

That's weird. There's a DIY fix that involves opening the Zune and reseting the battery and seems to work.

Originally Posted by gizmodo
Reader Neil has just told us a DIY solution to revive Zune 30s killed by the Zunepocalypse until Microsoft gets back with an official fix. It requires some slight disassembly, but nothing too complicated.

Follow Rapid Repair's guide to taking your Zune apart to step 4, so you have access to the hard drive and the battery. Disconnect BOTH the battery and hard drive, and then plug 'em back in. This apparently resets the Zune's internal clock, which brings it back to life. Put it back together, and it should be 100 percent again. (Assuming you don't screw it up.)

The risk here is that we're not sure how attempting this DIY fix will play into what Microsoft's solution is. Like, if for some reason you've gotta send it in to Microsoft, this might screw up your warranty situation. But, at least you'll have a working Zune sooner, rather than later. If you have the patience of a gnat, we'd recommend you waiting for an official fix. Thanks Neil!
Old 12-31-2008, 02:15 PM
Safety Car

It would until you connect it to the computer and it syncs the internal clock.

My bet is on the day 366 theory. It might work fine tomorrow.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:09 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

I blame the leap second that was added today.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:13 PM
where is....

haha, it happened to my brother last night when we got back home last night around midnight. he goes to sync it with his laptop and it froze.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:11 PM
Sanest Florida Man

MS has released a "fix"

Early this morning we were alerted by our customers that there was a widespread issue affecting our 2006 model Zune 30GB devices (a large number of which are still actively being used). The technical team jumped on the problem immediately and isolated the issue: a bug in the internal clock driver related to the way the device handles a leap year. That being the case, the issue should be resolved over the next 24 hours as the time change moves to January 1, 2009. We expect the internal clock on the Zune 30GB devices will automatically reset tomorrow (noon, GMT). By tomorrow you should allow the battery to fully run out of power before the unit can restart successfully then simply ensure that your device is recharged, then turn it back on. If you're a Zune Pass subscriber, you may need to sync your device with your PC to refresh the rights to the subscription content you have downloaded to your device.

Customers can continue to stay informed via the support page on zune.net (zune.net/support).

We know this has been a big inconvenience to our customers and we are sorry for that, and want to thank them for their patience.

Q: Why is this issue isolated to the Zune 30 device?
It is a bug in a driver for a part that is only used in the Zune 30 device.

Q: What fixes or patches are you putting in place to resolve this situation?
This situation should remedy itself over the next 24 hours as the time flips to January 1st.

Q: What's the timeline on a fix?
The issue Zune 30GB customers are experiencing today will self resolve as time changes to January 1.

Q: Why did this occur at precisely 12:01 a.m. on December 31, 2008?
There is a bug in the internal clock driver causing the 30GB device to improperly handle the last day of a leap year.

Q: What is Zune doing to fix this issue?
The issue should resolve itself.

Q: Are you sure that this won't happen to all 80, 120 or other flash devices?
This issue is related to a part that is only used in Zune 30 devices.

Q: How many 30GB Zune devices are affected? How many Zune 30GB devices were sold?
All 30GB devices are potentially affected.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:23 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
^ wow's that's quite the fix...i'd be embarrassed to call that my 'fix', they should at least send out a pretend fix that you can apply and you can say it will prevent it from happening again.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Doucher left off the last question.

Q: Will this happen again in 4 years?
30GB Zunes are not expected to work at all in 4 years.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:05 PM
Sanest Florida Man

why? by the time they wrote the code to fix the problem, then tested it's deployment and that the fix didn't cause more problems and then actually deploy it to all Zune 30 users it would probably be past noon GMT which is only 12 hours from now. Or they can let it fix itself and then they have 4 years to write and thoroughly test code so that it doesn't happen again. If I were MS I'd say sorry for our fuck up and offer a 14 or 30 day free trial of the Zune pass or 25% of some accessories or whatever for the Zune 30 users and then roll out a fix after it's been thoroughly tested and not just rushed out.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:30 PM
Safety Car

I agree. I'd rather not have a rushed patch. For all the enjoyment I've gotten out of my Zune, one day of downtime is hardly an issue. I've had power/internet/telephone/cable outages longer than that.

And it's really a lose/lose for MS. If they hadn't updated the Zune 30's to the latest firmware, this bug wouldn't have come to light. But if they didn't, you'd have all the Gen 1 owners complaining that their device is outdated (like an iPod).

Realistically, this bug is being resolved pretty damn quick in only 24 hours.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:37 AM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by #1 DOUCHER
I'm using my USA-Spec iPod converter that plugs into the back of my OEM dash unit, it has an iPod and Aux input but I'd like something that I could control the tracks with from my steering wheel and charge the Zune at the same time.
Something like this?

http://www.soundgate.com/index.php?r...ategoryid=264&
Old 03-30-2009, 06:45 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Zune 3.0 : Worst gadget of the year

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/30/t...gadget-awards/

readers choice
Old 04-10-2009, 11:12 PM
Sanest Florida Man

^I blame Apple fanyboys, notice an Apple product won for just about every category possible. Time Capsule won "storage device of the year"

Anyways there's new Zunes on the way. Here's a leaked image from MS artwork for the Zune HD. I wonder if it'll actually have an HD screen?

Originally Posted by gizmodo
Whatever the Zune HD is, if what's depicted in this slick cache of images is real, I want one real, real bad. UPDATE: We have reason to believe it's legit and a bit more info.

We've been told that these design concepts were indeed produced for Microsoft, so the artwork is real, not some fanboy's 'shop. Which means that the Zune HD itself is hopefully just as real and yummy.

Update 2: Technologizer's sources "close to the Zune team" confirm Zune HD is the fourth-gen Zune. He says it's a little smaller than an iPod touch with "competitive" capabilities.
http://i.gizmodo.com/5207488/leaked-...yline=true&s=i

I probably won't get one since I already have a Zune and an iPhone but it is interesting.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:34 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Holy shit this thing is real! When the specs of this thing leaked about a month ago I didn't bother to post them cause they sounded to lofty and like complete BS but it ends up those specs were just about correct

480x272 3.3in capacitive multitouch OLED screen
HD Video output
built-in HD Radio receiver
Internet browser based off IE (I hope it's better than what's in Win Mobile 6.5) optimized for multitouch

Zune will be integrating with Xbox LIVE probably in the fall update and this will bring the Zune name to 17 million new customers. Also it was rumored that the Zune HD will be able to play xbox games but that hasn't been announced. Zune is spreading out and will be integrating with other MS services like Xbox Live and in the future Windows Mobile 7. This Xbox integration seems like a solid attempt to counter Apple's attempt at the gaming market. We'll see how this turns out. Much more info about this device is to come.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:54 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,966 Likes on 2,644 Posts
I wonder how they will integrate XBoxLive.

The only thing here they is cool, is the mentioning of the OLED screen.....that could mean the rumor of the next iphone have one is such far off dream as I said it was.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:02 PM
where is....

i see them putting windows live......but not XBL.....
Old 05-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
I wonder how they will integrate XBoxLive.

The only thing here they is cool, is the mentioning of the OLED screen.....that could mean the rumor of the next iphone have one is such far off dream as I said it was.
Yeah me too, the rumor was the ability to play old xbox games. Also the original rumor said the screen was OLED at 800x480 which I didn't believe so I didnt post.

Believe or not I don't have a 360 so I doubt I'll get one of these since I've got an iPhone. but I'd like to know what kind of graphics technology it's got (rumored to have nvidia's tegra chip). It's also got an accelorometer so I'd assume it'll have gaming capabilities.

bigger pic

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 05-26-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:46 PM
The Third Ball

well, we'll see what apple announces next month.

No interest in these zunes, but it could give away somethings apple might be ready to do in the 3rd gen (such as OLED)
Old 05-26-2009, 10:51 PM
The Third Ball

from macrumors:
Microsoft confirmed today that the rumored "Zune HD" was, in fact, real and that they are planning on launching it this fall. The new touch-screen device will surf the web, play high definition movies and tune in digital radio.
"This device is created to go head to head with the iPod Touch," Chris Stephenson, general manager of global marketing for Microsoft Zune, said in a telephone interview on Tuesday. Zune buyers will also be able to play HD content on their TVs via a dock, Microsoft said.

Other notable features in the new media device include a 3.3" multi-touch OLED screen, HD radio, HD video out, Wi-Fi, and integration with Xbox. The device is said to be based on the Windows CE operating system and will include a mobile version of Internet Explorer customized for the touch screen. No word of storage capacities or pricing at this time.

Rumors and photos of such a device were leaked back in April, though there was some debate about its authenticity. Apple has seen tremendous success with the iPod Touch since its introduction with 13 million units sold up until December 2008.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:02 PM
Sanest Florida Man

I'm interested in what the power savings is by using OLED instead of LCD. OLED has better colors and since it doesn't use a backlight will get true blacks compared to LCDs which require a backlight.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Safety Car

Looks good. I still lament the loss of tactile controls, but I acknowledge this is what people want. I hope it sells well.

Geez, I wonder how the XNA framework is going to have to change to handle a multitouch screen. It'd be like having multiple, simultaneous mouse inputs.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:06 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Very cool...especially the OLED.

I won't buy a Zune, but it's great to see OLED making it's way into the market.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:37 PM
Low is a Lifestyle.

lol... i've been in the market for a pmp with a lot of memory for a while. and i think this is gonna do it for me because i heard theres going to be a 120gb option.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Sanest Florida Man

I wouldn't get your hopes up for a 120gb version as that would require an internal HDD instead of flash disks. From the pics it doesn't look like there's room for an HDD but I would really like there to be one. That was my big complaint about the iTouch when it came out, I was ready to get one. I walked into the apple store they day the were announced and learned that the iTouch would be in 8gb and 16gb only I said "fuck that" and then I walked right out the store. I'd expect this to be 32gb at the most may be 64gb.

This isn't the first PMP with an OLED screen, I believe the Sony which came out last month was.

I also don't like the loss of tactile controls which is why my iphone hasn't replaced my Zune, that and capacity is too small.

They're saying that the Zune marketplace will be replacing the XBL marketplace as the 360s place for content downloads and that more info should be coming at E3. I guess they released this just to build a little hype. So all things D is going on right now, then after that is the E3 conference from June 2-4 then June 6 is the Palme Pre launch and after that is WWDC. Lots of shit going on right now. This thing needs to be announced soon so it doens't get buried under the Pre/iphone3/snowleopoard/mactablet/macbookmini avalanche.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Sanest Florida Man

A good article from Ars Technica

We spoke with Brian Seitz, the group marketing manager for Zune, about the new product and Microsoft's larger strategic ambitions. Here's everything you need to know:

Zune questions
Old accessories: Yes, accessories for other Zune models will interface with the Zune HD, which features the same connector plug.

Multitouch: Yes, Zune HD has it.

Web browser: A full Web browser will be included. It will use now-standard multitouch gestures like double-tap, pinch, and stretch. Seitz told us it would be a "cool browser for the finger." My digits are tingling already.

(Update: Microsoft tells us it is a "version of IE 6 that has been highly customized and optimized for multitouch." As for an e-mail client... this is it. No app is available, but "common e-mail services like Hotmail will be accessible via the browser.")

Flash: The Zune HD Web browser is still in early builds, but Seitz says that Flash support doesn't look likely. "From what I've seen, no," he said, but that might still change before release.

HD: Zune HD has an OLED 16:9 touchscreen with a resolution of 480x272. That sounds sweet, but it's not high-def. The "HD" in the product name refers to support for HD radio on the one hand and, on the other, support for outputting HD video to TVs over an HDMI connector.

HD radio: Past Zune research has shown that owners used the radio feature an average of twice a week, so Microsoft hopes to capitalize on that popularity by adding support for HD radio. Like digital TV, HD radio is a digital format that supports multicasting—one station can now offer multiple subchannels. With few portable HD radio receivers on the market, Microsoft hopes this will set it apart.

HD video: If you thought getting that HD video (720p max) off the device and onto a TV would be cheap and easy, you're half right. The HDMI connection needed to do this will only interface with an external Zune dock, which is sold separately (and if history is any indication, at outlandish prices).

Internet connection: As with past Zunes, the Zune HD features a WiFi connection but no cellular radio. The decision positions the device quite obviously against Apple's iPod touch, though Seitz makes it clear Microsoft is "not trying to play copycat."

Original Xbox games: Some early rumors around the device suggested that it could play 3D games from the original Xbox. Microsoft has "nothing to announce" about games at this time, but clearly has plenty of ideas in the works. More details will be forthcoming over the summer.

An app store: One of the touch's key features is Apple's App Store. Microsoft sounds ready to launch something similar for games, but what about other applications? Seitz says that the company looked at the top 20 apps people used on the touch and found that most were games. Without a cell radio and constant Internet, this makes sense. The Zune team also wants to avoid duplicating work being done by the Windows Mobile team, and it doesn't make sense to have two separate app stores.

Zune death: Are the smaller flash Zunes going away? Seitz says that no final decisions have been made beyond the fact that Microsoft wants to focus more on its next-gen product. Reading between the lines, though, if you want one of the smaller flash Zunes, picking one up this summer is probably a good idea.

Xbox Live: The Xbox Live Video Marketplace will be replaced by some kind of "Zune Marketplace" later this year. Microsoft has spent the last year (finally) doing some heavy lifting on the backend with the goal of combining its sprawling services. While specifics haven't yet been announced, the company does want to move to a model where purchased content resides in the "cloud" and can then be viewed on any device (Xbox, Zune, Windows PC). This would be a welcome and long-overdue change to the current, more limited approach.

Storage space: Not yet announced.

The Zune as "platform"
Beyond the spec sheet, the bigger news is that Microsoft has thrown in the towel on its original Zune strategy. The goal was to pump out devices in different form factors while keeping the hardware features the same; that way, every Zune would have the same features and older devices could get feature upgrades via firmware.

That approach has ended. The Zune HD adds HD radio, a new screen in a different aspect ratio, and multitouch. The older devices were nice but never gained much traction in the marketplace, and Microsoft is shaking things up with a serious hardware refresh.

The company has also said for years that Zune would be a "platform" and not just a device, and it finally looks set to deliver on that vision. It has all the tools to be compelling—Windows, Windows Mobile, Xbox, the Zune player, and content partnerships. In a utopian future, the prospect of buying a TV episode through the 360, then watching it on a PC, Zune HD, or WinMo cellphone is powerful.

Right now, a "Zune pass" for music doesn't allow streaming directly to a WinMo phones or the 360, while Netflix support is only available on the 360 and Windows, but not the Zune or WinMo. When every service comes to every screen, the Zune hardware truly will be just one piece in a huge ecosystem, but it will gain tremendous value from all that integration.
It seems that the version of IE is the same as the version on Win Mo 6.5 but this version will be multitouch capable. So I'd expect it to act like safari. It's some sort of hybrid of IE6 and some newer tech. Sucks there's no email client though.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...-microsoft.ars
Old 05-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by #1 Stunna
A good article from Ars Technica

It seems that the version of IE is the same as the version on Win Mo 6.5 but this version will be multitouch capable. So I'd expect it to act like safari. It's some sort of hybrid of IE6 and some newer tech. Sucks there's no email client though.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...-microsoft.ars
There's a decent chance if this is a total platform change that Zune might support the entire .NET Compact Framework instead of just XNA, which would include a network library. Writing a POP3/IMAP client would be trivial at that point. It doesn't sound unreasonable to have the Zune run apps in a sandbox, which would protect their code and their DRM'd media.

However, MS has been very specific about keeping the Zune device as a PMP and not a PDA. Personally, I can respect that. If they port the Zune software to Windows Mobile, then that is the place to be writing applications.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Sanest Florida Man

I'd expect apps to work off of silverlight or maybe WPF but I hear WPF is a memory hog. you'd need pretty apps like those on the iPhone, can .Net compact do the pretty graphics?
Old 05-28-2009, 09:02 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
Device looks hot....
Old 05-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CGP CL9
lol... i've been in the market for a pmp with a lot of memory for a while. and i think this is gonna do it for me because i heard theres going to be a 120gb option.
The archos has been around for a long time...

http://www.archos.com/products/gen_5...try=us&lang=en

offered up to 160gb with full html browsing, gps navigation, touch screen and analog buttons...
Old 05-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Safety Car

I got an Archos 704 recently and it hasn't really held my attention. I'll take it on trips since it's a great big screen. I didn't find the UI pleasant at all and each media program fell just a tiny bit short of being powerful enough for my needs. Unless Gen 5 is significantly better, I'm not getting another Archos.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:38 PM
sup

I wish the zune worked with macs. The zune pass + 5 songs per month deal sounds pretty good
Old 05-28-2009, 03:02 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zune Pass is a dream for people that gobble up music like I do. For the record, I have an 8gb Zune and an 8gb iPod Nano and I like the Zune + Zune Marketplace/Zune Pass WAY better than iPod + iTunes. I'll be getting the Zune HD for sure.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And for the record, yes I know that the Nano isn't as good as the touch, but I mainly use it for my car and work (and I'm not really interested in using it for video or internet). The Zune is my primary mp3 player (for home use, running, conecting to my home theater speakers, etc.)
Old 05-28-2009, 03:59 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Here's a hands on of a prototype Zune HD

Originally Posted by Gizmodo
Having just played with a prototype for a few minutes, I'm really impressed with the Zune HD. I've got a video, too, showing off how well the animations work.

The device is tighter and more physically beautiful than the iPod Touch and it's got a better UI, the main menu's scrolling so natural through the swipe gestures. There's a little note on the side, under the volume toggle—"Hello from Seattle." The power button is up top. The home button is nice and prominent, a bar rather than a round button on the Touch. It's smaller. And the accelerometer is more swift in responding to repositioning; images rotate very fast.

Of course, this thing won't have hundreds of apps ready for download when it comes out, as the Touch does.

But I would take this in a heartbeat, provided they get around to making a Mac client.
<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=4889455&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=4889455&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/4889455">Zune HD Video Hands On</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user562128">Gizmodo</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

http://gizmodo.com/5272228/zune-hd-h...and-video-tour
Old 05-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Damn those transitions are sexy, the Zune team makes some sexy shit.

Quick Reply: New Zunes, now I'm kinda regretting my iPod purchase