Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

New Zunes, now I'm kinda regretting my iPod purchase

Old 10-02-2007, 10:10 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,117 Likes on 6,107 Posts
New Zunes, now I'm kinda regretting my iPod purchase

originally posted by Engadget

We love a good non-mystery around here, and Microsoft's new Zunes are about as un-mysterious as they get. But we also love a good product refresh, and now that the cat's officially out of the bag we can really dig into the new Zunes, which definitely have a lot going for them. There's plenty to cover, so here's what you need to know.

Hard drive Zunes

It's called the Zune 80 and, shockingly enough, it has 80GB of storage.
It will sell for $250 (with "premium" headphones).
Available only in black (to start).
Screen size has increased to 3.2-inches (from 3-inches).
Dimensions are 61.1 x 108.2 x 12.9mm (2.4 x 4.25 x 0.5-inches), some 1/3rd smaller than the classic Zune.
The classic Zune will now be known as the Zune 30 -- it's not going anywhere. More on that in a sec.
New flash Zunes

Zune 8 and Zune 4 are the names for the 8 and 4GB flash based models.
These will sell for $200 and $150 respectively.
Both will be available in pink, green, black, and red.
It will feature a 1.8-inch screen (compare to the nano's 2-inch screen).
Dimensions are 41.4 x 91.5 x 8.5mm (1.6 x 3.6 x 0.33-inches) -- compare to the new iPod nano, at 69.8 x 52.3 x 6.5mm (2.75 x 2.0 x 0.26-inches).
Everything else

New Zunes ship in November, date not yet announced.
All Zunes (including the Zune 30) will have a new, redesigned interface and feature parity. In other words, early Zune 30 adopters will have all the same software features as new Zune 80, 8, and 4 users.
Additional native video codecs for h.264 and MPEG-4 -- users no longer need transcode those file types to WMV.
WiFi sync to host computer.
Podcast support! (Sorry, no over the air downloads -- sync only.) Podcasts can also be shared via WiFi.
The 3x3 song sharing DRM has had its three day restriction removed, but users can still only play files three times.
Official press images, etc. coming shortly, don't wander far!

That Zune 80 is hot!! Wi-fi synching none of the iPods have that!! I'd much rather have that then Wi-fiTunes Music store or that lame Starbucks crap (I hate coffee), I've yet to buy anything off of iTunes and now that Amazon has DRM-free music in 256kbps MP3 format which means it will work on any DAP player oh and the songs are 30 cents cheaper than Apple why would you go with iTunes. The screen is bigger than the iPod classic (3.0in) and just a little bit smaller than the iPhone screen (3.5in)!! Oh and did I mention it's got an 80gb drive which the iTouch should've had this whole time!! I'm glad they got rid off the 3 day restriction and it's just 3 plays which is much more fair but I'll probably never use it. I'd like to know about battery life even if it's not as good as the iPod it doesn't matter cause the iPods are ridiculous, mines 30hrs I'll never use all of that!!

Overall good stuff from MS, I'm kinda jealous!! The Zune 30 is still around and gets all the new features for free!! That's how you refresh a product!! I may just switch my iPod 80gb classic for one of these!! So you guys keep an eye on the Black market forum!! I've said it before the only thing that's keeping me with apple is the cool car kit I have, if that worked with the Zune I'd be all over one of these!! Decisions Decisions!!

p.s. I see MS has finally accepted the term "podcasts" instead of netcasts or webcasts, I thought that was funny!!

p.s.s. anyone else like how MS turns the screen to portrait mode which I think is better than landscape. Apple didn't realize this until the iPhone and if they changed the nano now it would make it look just like a Zune and they'd get called out so fast for that!! This is why the nano is so fat if they turned it sideways you could make it slimmer, look at all the wasted space on the sides of the click-wheel on the nano.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:14 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
i love my zune, no complaints... well maybe my only complaint now is that is want the new one
Old 10-02-2007, 10:16 PM
_____ like a rabbit

wait, so there will be a software update for the older zunes? im really interested in the wi-fi sync...
Old 10-02-2007, 10:18 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by stangg172004
i love my zune, no complaints... well maybe my only complaint now is that is want the new one
yeah but you're getting all the new software features so you're good to go unless you really want the 80gb and larger screen

Comparasion specs
iTouch
Height: 4.3 inches (110 mm)
Width: 2.4 inches (61.8 mm)
Depth: 0.31 inch (8 mm)

ipod classic
80gb
Height: 4.1 inches (103.5 mm)
Depth: 0.41 inch (10.5 mm)

160gb
Height: 4.1 inches (103.5 mm)
Depth: 0.53 inch (13.5 mm)

ipod nano
Height: 2.75 inches (69.8 mm)
Width: 2.06 inches (52.3 mm)
Depth: 0.26 inch (6.5 mm)
Old 10-02-2007, 10:22 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,786 Likes on 1,409 Posts
either way, with the rate that technology is moving you'll regret it later cuz if it's not MS, Apple will eventually come out with something else to screw you anyway...
Old 10-02-2007, 10:23 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
yeah but you're getting all the new software features so you're good to go unless you really want the 80gb and larger screen
i believe you just made my night
Old 10-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by is300eater
either way, with the rate that technology is moving you'll regret it later cuz if it's not MS, Apple will eventually come out with something else to screw you anyway...
not really. Apple just announced the ipods less than a month ago they don't have new ones coming out anytime soon. They're gonna have to wait until next year to catch up. Only the iTouch and the iPhone have wi-fi so only the iPods that cost $300+ have the potential for this feature you can't just add it to the nano or the classic. But with MS you can get Wi-fi syncing for $150. I love that Apple has real competition now and they can't sit on their ass anymore. Wi-fi syncing will be demanded from them next year, it should've come this year.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:43 PM
Sanest Florida Man

originally posted by Engadget
As we noted in our Zune launch post, with the new Zune announcements, Microsoft intends to do more than just launch hardware. The Zune crew has apparently done a complete overhaul of the Zune desktop software so it's no longer just a weak rebadge of Windows Media Player 10 (praise the heavens), which Microsoft hopes will help the social to get more, um, social-er, with a number of things to attempting better engage music listeners and Zune customers:

The Zune Marketplace is officially adding DRM-free music support, launching with over a million DRM-free MP3 tracks. As we mentioned earlier, other details (like which labels, whether there is a DRM-free upgrade path is for users who've bought music with DRM, price differences, etc.) are not yet known.
Zune Marketplace is also getting podcasts and music videos. (Great, but where's the real video content?)
Microsoft is also launching Zune Social, a free online music community / social network (great, another social network!) which allows users to create...
Zune Cards, which are web widgets not unlike Xbox's Gamer Cards. Zune Cards let other users track your most played and recently played music (updated each time you sync back to your host machine). Users can also sample music directly from someone's Zune Card.
You can now share with others music that was shared with you.
No, the Zune still doesn't analyze the tracks it shares, so Zune Pass unlimited customers still can't share music without DRM.
But, at very least the Zune's 3x3 DRM no longer has a time limit. Same three play restriction, but it no longer has to be within three days.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Some more pics

It's still got the included FM radio that many other DMPs have except the iPod. You can add FM playback to your iPod but it'll cost you another $50!! I personally HATE the radio and don't care either way most people still listen to it and it should be included but Apple has never been threatened enough to do so.

the headphones appear to be much better than the iPod ones. In ear headphones FTW!!
Old 10-02-2007, 11:14 PM
Sanest Florida Man

OMG!!! I think this may have just sealed the deal for me!!! Zune will integrate with Windows Media Center and I can take the TV shows I've recorded in Media Center and sync them too a Zune!! That is soooo awesome for me!!! Apple doesn't have anything even close to this you can't even record TV with Apple software!! ARG!! I just need to find a car adapter for my car and this iPod is GONE!!

originally posted by Gizmodo
Beautiful, big color screen. A bright, durable 3.2-inch glass screen delivers uncompromised portable video viewing. Your music, video and pictures never looked better.
• Touch controls. Fly effortlessly through your song, picture and video collections with the new Zune Pad. Innovative new touch controls let you brush or click.
• Wireless sync. Cut the cord to your PC. Refresh your Zune with new content anywhere you charge your device. Connect to your PC through your home wireless network by setting your Zune to automatically sync the latest podcasts, music and more from your stereo dock, AC adapter or speaker dock accessory.
• Zune Social, a beta online community Web site. Discover, share and leave your musical mark. Create a Zune Card and personal profile at Zune.net to reflect your musical identity. Invite friends, share song recommendations, post comments and browse member pages to discover new music and connect to other people with similar musical tastes.
• Zune Marketplace. Get your fill. Over 3 million songs, albums, DRM-free MP3s, music videos, audio and video podcasts and more. Buy individual songs and albums or choose a Zune Pass to get unlimited downloads for a flat rate.
• Wireless Zune-to-Zune sharing.3 Share full-length tracks of your favorite songs, albums, playlists, pictures and even audio podcasts. Listen to the full track of any song you receive up to three times, and even pass along songs you receive to other friends who have a Zune. If you like a song you receive, you can easily add it to your wish list and then buy it from your PC the next time you sync.
Recorded television content to go. The Zune software will now automatically import broadcast content recorded on Windows® Media Center for Windows Vista® Home Premium or Ultimate, so consumers can sync them onto their Zune and hit the road.

• Built-in FM radio. With the built-in FM tuner you can listen to your favorite local FM radio stations while you're on the go. Advanced tuning capabilities allow you to see the name of the song and artist currently playing on select frequencies.5
• Import your music. Zune software will automatically import your existing music, pictures and videos, including music you have ripped into iTunes and Windows Media® Player, even transferring your existing playlists and song ratings in one easy step. Some content may be protected by the service you purchased it from, so those files cannot be imported.
• Your games. Your music. Your way. Plug your Zune into your Xbox 360® and customize the soundtrack in your favorite games. You can also stream the music, pictures and videos from the Zune software on your PC to your Xbox 360 console using a wireless connection.
SO FRICKIN AWESOME!!
Old 10-03-2007, 04:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please, buy the zune, sell your ipod and for the love of God, shut the fuck up already.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:48 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Originally Posted by Siddig
Please, buy the zune, sell your ipod and for the love of God, shut the fuck up already.
So 3000 threads praising the Apple's are ok, but one MS thread is too much?
Old 10-03-2007, 07:00 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts

Who pissed in your cereal this morning?
Old 10-03-2007, 07:03 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by EuRTSX
Who pissed in your cereal this morning?
Old 10-03-2007, 07:05 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Whiskers

How's it goin' Warren.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:08 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by EuRTSX
How's it goin' Warren.
US is good. Going bowling with my parents and son now
Old 10-03-2007, 07:11 AM
Team Owner

US is good. Going bowling with my parents and son now

Have a great time
Old 10-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I have my heart set on the new Creative Zen 16GB that should be out later this month.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:01 AM
The hair says it all

While they do look appealing, I will never EVER be sold on a microsoft product based on any windows media center integration. My vista and 360 never played nicely together, my xp MCE and 360 never played nicely together, basically all that shit only conditionally works. That being said, if the Zune is more of an iPod classic competition than the touch but still looks nice. I would much rather have a Zen if I was avoiding apple
Old 10-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
are we sure he doesnt work for MS
Old 10-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Sanest Florida Man

WOW!! I get neg repped for announcing the new zunes!?!?
but I didn't get neg repped for my thread announcing the new iPods which in the beginning I was just as excited about!!
Old 10-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
will the Zune be able to record from FM? I love Tom Leykis but he is now on in the evenings and I never listen to radio in the PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by Eggplant-EX
will the Zune be able to record from FM? I love Tom Leykis but he is now on in the evenings and I never listen to radio in the PM.
IDK can't the Creative Zen do that? Wait isn't recording the radio sort of frowned upon by the RIAA? If so then probably not. I think the Zen has a built-in mic so you can record sounds but not the radio. I know my friends SanDisk Sansa has a built-in mic.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:30 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Pretty cool...too bad Apple couldn't figure out that the iTouch needed a hard drive.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Banned

So 3000 threads praising the Apple's are ok, but one MS thread is too much?
No its the fact that he is always starting threads about ipods and being so excited, then throwing out backhanded compliments and bitching about apple. If he doesnt like Apple fine. Quit starting threads about how much you hate. We got it, there are apple haters. So, buy the MS product and move on.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Sanest Florida Man

No its the fact that he is always starting threads about ipods and being so excited, then throwing out backhanded compliments and bitching about apple. If he doesnt like Apple fine. Quit starting threads about how much you hate. We got it, there are apple haters. So, buy the MS product and move on.
I started one thread about the iPod just as I've started one thread about the zune. Then I said good things and bad things about the iPod aka backhanded compliments. I still don't see what's wrong with that. Ok here's what I'm not liking about the Zune so far (I don't own one yet though) The screen will probably be 320x240 I'm curious to see how this will look on a 3.2in screen. The iPod classic is also 320x240 but it has 2.5in screen (yes I said 3.0in earlier I was wrong) while the iTouch is 480x320 with 3.5in screen. Also the accessory support isn't great, I've found one car kit but it's $250 and I don't like it that much. I'll keep looking though. I'm addicted to my car kit and I can't go without it. so far the iPod wins in that department which is basically a deal breaker for me. We'll see what happens when november 13th rolls around.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Banned

You bitch piss and moaned in the other threaded. I'm so excited, I'm so disappointed, etc etc. Frankly, I don't care what you do or don't like, you're just so damned annoying about it.

PS: Next time you neg rep me in return have some balls and leave your name.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:03 PM
The hair says it all

buahahahaha, I agree.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts

< - Just bought a Classic
Old 10-03-2007, 01:12 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Old 10-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Sanest Florida Man

You bitch piss and moaned in the other threaded. I'm so excited, I'm so disappointed, etc etc. Frankly, I don't care what you do or don't like, you're just so damned annoying about it.

PS: Next time you neg rep me in return have some balls and leave your name.
I didn't neg rep you or anyone must've been someone else. I don't think I've neg repped anyone. I'd tell you if I did.

Sorry you found me annoying. I was very excited about the potential of the new iPod and in the end was quite disappointed along with many others in that thread in what the iTouch ended up being. The Zune 80 is closer to what I wanted than the iTouch. Which is a big screen (yeah I just called a 3.2in screen BIG ) with alot of storage. Plus now I can easily add all my recorded TV to it so now I can watch my NFL team which I always end up missing or new episodes of The Office all on the road and without paying for something that I could watch for free on TV. On top of that with wireless syncing I can just leave the Zune in the car in the garage and it'll automatically jump on the home network and sync my recorded TV, music, pictures, etc. For me this is cooler than YouTube or Safari not that those are bad and that I wouldn't like them but if I had to choose I'd take what the Zune has to offer over the iTouch. Maybe I'm in the minority but we'll see. Then again the Zune 80 shouldn't be compared to the iTouch it should be compared to the iPod classic and in that case I think it's clearly the winner but what do I know?
Old 10-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Sanest Florida Man

and yes Siddig that was me that just pos repped you not someone pretending to be me!!
Old 10-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Money is funny.

I was waiting for someone to come out with something to take on the ipod...i'm gonna have to get me one of these now!! the wifi is HOT!!!!

btw, always wanted to ask whiskers, do you have a brit accetn after all that time there?
Old 10-03-2007, 01:46 PM
_____ like a rabbit

wow what the fuck does it matter what stunna said on another thread? this is beyond ridiculous
Old 10-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by stangg172004
wow what the fuck does it matter what stunna said on another thread? this is beyond ridiculous

I may be slightly annoyed if it wasn't for the fact that every Ipod thread is like this, but I think the reviews are good to have...

Oh and no real British accent, but picked up on some dirty British phrases....
Old 10-03-2007, 01:52 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
wtf? siddig, why are causing shit to close this thread? If you really hate hearing him talking about MS then just don't come here... I don't get it!
back to the topic, I decided not to get itouch because of the memory. I am not happy with 8gb so either I wait for bigger hard drive to come out other wise I'm going to get this zune.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:54 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

I may be slightly annoyed if it wasn't for the fact that every Ipod thread is like this, but I think the reviews are good to have...

he provided good reviews so there is no need to close this thread because of that stupid argument.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:14 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
wtf? siddig, why are causing shit to close this thread? If you really hate hearing him talking about MS then just don't come here... I don't get it!
back to the topic, I decided not to get itouch because of the memory. I am not happy with 8gb so either I wait for bigger hard drive to come out other wise I'm going to get this zune.
Well Apple as well as the rest of the industry is doing away with HDD so I don't think Apple will ever release an iTouch with a HDD even though I'd like them too. So if you want a big screen and lots of storage you got the Zune 80 or the Archos PMP. I'd choose the Zune it's smaller than the Archos but seems like it's still big enough. Or you can wait until 64gb flash becomes more affordable but that'll be at least 1.5yrs if not 2yrs for that to happen soo...
Old 10-03-2007, 02:17 PM
Money is funny.

it's good to have reviews from as many angles as possibles. Makes them more accurate..

whiskers, so you have a fake accent? lol...what are some of these phrases? and what is spotted dick?
Old 10-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by poohlikeshunny
it's good to have reviews from as many angles as possibles. Makes them more accurate..

whiskers, so you have a fake accent? lol...what are some of these phrases? and what is spotted dick?
Spotted dick is some kind of sponge pudding and toad in the hole is some kind of pie with pork in it...Bloke is like a goofy dude...

Quick Reply: New Zunes, now I'm kinda regretting my iPod purchase