Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

It's official - Apple iPhone + Cingular

Old 06-26-2007, 09:32 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Mossberg Review

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1182...ain_promo_left
Old 06-26-2007, 11:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
I definitely don't have the money to buy this now, but come Christmas time, I'll pick one of these up. I can't wait!
Old 06-27-2007, 09:20 AM
sup

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a little bummed about the fact that "some" headphones won't fit into the plug, so you'll need an adapter for these....so annoying
Old 06-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone know if you will be able to keep your same number or will you have to get a new one?
Old 06-27-2007, 09:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by yanotkaj
Does anyone know if you will be able to keep your same number or will you have to get a new one?

Why wouldn't you be able to use your same number? Its no different than getting a new cell phone.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
the thing I just learned that is turning me off about it is that you are paying full price for the phone (ie not subsidized by AT&T), but you are STILL required to get into a 2-year contract.

Looks like AT&T is milking this thing for all it can.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:24 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I will pretty much only get it if it meets these requirements:

1) It will play through my current ipod setup in my car (charging and all)
2) My bluetooth will pick up the calls and silence music when it does so, returning to normal after that.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:40 AM
Big Block go VROOOM!

The latest rumor: it will be compatible with MS Exchange mail. If true, I think this could be a fairly significant step for Apple making in-roads to corporate IT culture.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=534
Old 06-27-2007, 11:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lembowski
I will pretty much only get it if it meets these requirements:

1) It will play through my current ipod setup in my car (charging and all)
2) My bluetooth will pick up the calls and silence music when it does so, returning to normal after that.
1) If you have an in car system...some are not yet compatible. Apple is supposedly working on a software updates to fix this.
2) Watch the video. I believe the answer is yes.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:34 AM
Trucki!!

which video? the apple one? maybe by v2 they'll have that all in order
Old 06-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Banned

which video? the apple one? maybe by v2 they'll have that all in order
The apple guided tour. There is no reason the car stuff can't be added in this version of the phone. Its just a software update. As for the bluetooth. I'd bet money it does what you want because that is how the iphone works with the normal headset.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:57 AM
Trucki!!

That would be awesome.....

I just say version 2 because I don't get out of Verizon till Janurary, and maybe/hopefully they will have an updated version out but then......with maybe a subsidised price
Old 06-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Banned

That would be awesome.....

I just say version 2 because I don't get out of Verizon till Janurary, and maybe/hopefully they will have an updated version out but then......with maybe a subsidised price
Dont expect to see a subsidized price. it how the rates plans are reasonable. I wouldn't expect to see v2 until next year. Perhaps a memory bump.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:18 PM
The hair says it all

How funny is it that these telecom giants are trying to hold on to every last thing. Songs can not be used as ringtones on the iphone. In other news I am eligible to renew July 18, my birthday is July 25.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:19 PM
The hair says it all

Windows Mobile 5 (dont know about 6) cannot connect to WiFi with hidden ssid's (that I know of). My campus has its ssid hidden, so if this phone can connect to it that would be a big +
Old 06-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Python2121
How funny is it that these telecom giants are trying to hold on to every last thing. Songs can not be used as ringtones on the iphone. In other news I am eligible to renew July 18, my birthday is July 25.
Cept macrumors is now saying with the new itunes 7.3 (to be released as a download on Friday) you should be able to make any song in itunes a ringer for $.99
Old 06-27-2007, 04:38 PM
Shyt Happens 4 a REASON!!

Originally Posted by Python2121
Any and all customers that want the iPhone WILL be able to purchase it on day of release... June 29th 6pm. I recommend everybody upgrade or create your new line today or tomorrow, to a free phone or whatever is most convenient for you. And then get the iPhone Friday. There is NO problem in doing this.

You DONT have to be eligible to upgrade, OR add a line to get the phone. Purchase of phone WILL be $499.99 for the 4GB and $599.99 for the 8GB done in-store but activation will be done at home online through the iTunes program. Also phone activation process will be started in-store and must be finished online as soon as possible.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:46 AM
Instructor

For these prices I'll get the iphone 2.0 when my Verizon is up in Janurary. I pay $54.99 for 900 minutes + $35 for data (company discount) + $10 for texts = $100 before taxes and insurance

So for less cost I can have the iphone + 1500 extra sms = $90 before taxes
Don't count on it. I asked today and cingular peeps said iphone is not able to use corporate monthly discount.

Also the long said rumor about a $150 instant rebate is also not going to happen. Cingular is planning to just sell the phone and you walk away to make the lines move quickly. Hopefully they don't run out if your far back in line.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:21 AM
I pimp an Audi A4.

Originally Posted by WICKEDFX
Don't count on it. I asked today and cingular peeps said iphone is not able to use corporate monthly discount.

Also the long said rumor about a $150 instant rebate is also not going to happen. Cingular is planning to just sell the phone and you walk away to make the lines move quickly. Hopefully they don't run out if your far back in line.

true, also to add one, once we run out of iphones, we will offer a direct fufillment meaning once they are back in stock, they will be shipped to your house.. isnt that awesome?
Old 06-28-2007, 02:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pimpravi
true, also to add one, once we run out of iphones, we will offer a direct fufillment meaning once they are back in stock, they will be shipped to your house.. isnt that awesome?
I could just go home and order one from the apple store if that happens. Better and faster then dealing with an ATT store I'm sure.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:39 AM
I pimp an Audi A4.

Originally Posted by Siddig
I could just go home and order one from the apple store if that happens. Better and faster then dealing with an ATT store I'm sure.
im not sure if they will offer that online, but in our att stores, yes that is deff. an option!.. i dont think these phones will be sold out so fast they will go for thousands of dollars on ebay.. but thats what im expecting..
Old 06-28-2007, 10:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pimpravi
im not sure if they will offer that online, but in our att stores, yes that is deff. an option!.. i dont think these phones will be sold out so fast they will go for thousands of dollars on ebay.. but thats what im expecting..
Yes, they will be on the online apple store at 6pm tomorrow.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:19 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
pretty good summary of what's there and what's missing: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple/eve...one-272827.php
Old 06-28-2007, 11:33 AM
Racer

I am going to wait until the next version comes out,but I am definately going to get one.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:39 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by WICKEDFX

Guess you didn't realize I was refering to my current discount with Verizon, and how the iphone would be cheaper that my current plan with discount
Old 06-28-2007, 01:23 PM
The hair says it all

Originally Posted by MightySemen
Any and all customers that want the iPhone WILL be able to purchase it on day of release... June 29th 6pm. I recommend everybody upgrade or create your new line today or tomorrow, to a free phone or whatever is most convenient for you. And then get the iPhone Friday. There is NO problem in doing this.
Source? I called AT&T and they said I would be breaking my contract if I want to get one before my July 18th renew every almost 2 thing.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:38 PM
I now drive an accord....

Originally Posted by soopa
pretty good summary of what's there and what's missing: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple/eve...one-272827.php
Sounds like there should be plenty of disappointed users. Good marketing on Apples part though. They know people will buy it regardless of the price and what it lacks. This allows them to sell a "next generation" IPhone to the inital users for another $500.

What it doesn't have:
• Support for all iPod accessories—doesn't support all car adapters for playing back, only charging
• An easy way to transfer phone numbers, via AT&T, from an existing phone
• Copy and paste support
• MP3/iTunes music ringtones
• Built-in game support
• Flash support anywhere (including browser)
• Instant Messaging
• Picture messaging (MMS)
• Video recording
• Voice recognition or voice dialing
• Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Streaming (A2DP support)
• One-size-fits-all headset jack (May have to buy an adapter for certain headphones)
• 3G (EV-DO/HSDPA)
• A hardware keyboard
• GPS
• Removable battery
• Expandable Storage
• Direct iTunes Music Store Access (Over Wi-Fi or EDGE)
• BlackBerry support
• Flash or zoom on the camera
• Windows Media support

Known Problems:
• Can get a little warm after use
• Battery will need to be replaced by Apple after 300-400 charges
• Levy had problems with one of his email accounts, due to his ISP blocking port 25. Apple's engineers "suggested a fix and said that this was something that would probably be addressed in an update."
• EDGE data is very slow
• AT&T's signal is lousy
• No hardware playback buttons (on the phone itself) make you go back to the iPod app to change songs or stop music
• Takes more taps to reach the phone interface than other smartphones
• Getting your contacts onto here from your old phone may be a hassle
• No real-time navigation
• The few web-app programs Mossberg tried weren't' impressive
• Camera is only good with ample light and no motion
• Only 200 text messages included on any calling plan
• Playing back music through an iPod dock may cause interference, so the iPhone "offered to switch to airplane mode". Doing so means you get no calls
Old 06-28-2007, 02:09 PM
sup

So Soopa, now that you have your SE phone, are you going to get the iphone?
Old 06-28-2007, 02:27 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by spdy0001
Sounds like there should be plenty of disappointed users. Good marketing on Apples part though. They know people will buy it regardless of the price and what it lacks. This allows them to sell a "next generation" IPhone to the inital users for another $500.
I don't know about disappointed users, since you know what you are getting before you buy it. With the amount of coverage this thing is getting, there really shouldn't be any surprises.

The four things I'm not too happy about:

No video recording
No bluetooth sync w/ computer
No copy paste
No IM

but what about web based IM? Can I use google talk if I am on gmail.com?
Old 06-28-2007, 03:11 PM
I now drive an accord....

Originally Posted by BEETROOT
I don't know about disappointed users, since you know what you are getting before you buy it. With the amount of coverage this thing is getting, there really shouldn't be any surprises.

No video recording
No copy paste
No IM

True, however almost all of the "coverage" the phone is getting is positive and is mainly pushed by Apple and AT&T. There certainly not going to try and make the items the phone lacks common knowledge.
I know for myself if I were dropping ~$500 on a phone I would certainly research the hell out of it and make sure what I was getting. Am sure some people on this board are like me as well, but the majority of people aren't.

Im not really knocking the IPhone im just confused as to how they can manage to integrate all this new technology in to a phone and forget some of the basics
Old 06-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Yeehaw

I hear ya spdy. Some of the stuff makes sense....(no gps or 3g) because of battery life and cost... but other stuff is just weird. I'm really confused about the lack of bluetooth sync and IM more than anything else. Is the missing IM to drive SMS rates up?

I use bluetooth sync a few times a day, I really hope they update that.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:15 PM
sup

^^ maybe they ran out of time

software updates will fix some of these hopefully. but you dont know, because apple keeps a lot of this close to its chest.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:21 PM
Yeehaw

Good point, it was sort of rushed to market.

I just read that the battery is supposed to last 300-400 cycles, and after that you can send the phone into Apple to have 'it' replaced. Not sure if the 'it' means the phone or the battery, I assume the battery. I think it is better this way... should last 3 years before the battery starts to go, and there are less moving parts and just a cleaner design overall.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:28 PM
Trucki!!

I hear ya spdy. Some of the stuff makes sense....(no gps or 3g) because of battery life and cost... but other stuff is just weird. I'm really confused about the lack of bluetooth sync and IM more than anything else. Is the missing IM to drive SMS rates up?

I use bluetooth sync a few times a day, I really hope they update that.

Well on 3g, isn't there some kind of ban on 3g chips coming to the US? Heard that somewhere, and they said that if the iphone had 3g in it, it would have to be delayed until a ruling allows 3g imported chips. Dunno if thats right.......
Old 06-28-2007, 03:39 PM
Yeehaw

^ I hadn't heard that. I just heard the chips drained too much battery, and that since GSM was the standard they were going with that.

Its irrelevant for me personally, I'm in a wifi network 99% of the time I would be using a phone, I'll hardly ever access data through ATT. I think that is the case for a lot of people, so they weren't really concerned so much with going 3G.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:13 PM
Trucki!!

Yeah, I heard that imported 3g chips are being banned from entering the country......iphone coming from china.

That's why there haven't been any new 3g phones coming out. Unless they are made with Qualcomm chips in the US. If I remember correctly
Old 06-29-2007, 10:15 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts

@ the people in line waiting.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:21 AM
The Creator

No video recording
No copy paste
No IM

the big thing for me is no MMS. i don't understand how you can make such an immersive multimedia mobile device with no means of SHARING that media.

no video is a big bummer too.

no bluetooth iSync? wtf.

copy/paste, dont care.

IM, don't care. I IM via SMS anyway. And I can guarantee you there will be a 3rd party IM app within days.

But fuck, no MMS?!?!?!??!?!?!
Old 06-29-2007, 10:31 AM
Trucki!!

the big thing for me is no MMS. i don't understand how you can make such an immersive multimedia mobile device with no means of SHARING that media.

no video is a big bummer too.

no bluetooth iSync? wtf.

copy/paste, dont care.

IM, don't care. I IM via SMS anyway. And I can guarantee you there will be a 3rd party IM app within days.

But fuck, no MMS?!?!?!??!?!?!
yeah, i take and send way too many drunk pictures and videos. I guess you'd just have to send them to email addresses
Old 06-29-2007, 10:31 AM
The Creator

can it send attachments via email? if it can that would be some consolation.

Quick Reply: It's official - Apple iPhone + Cingular