Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

It's official - Apple iPhone + Cingular

Old 01-12-2007, 01:22 PM
The hair says it all

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AQUI NO!
It's official, there will be no third party support for the iphone.
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36919

I do love this quote from the article though, draw your own conclusions.

"While many outfits like to pretend that they emphasis user freedom, Jobs tells the Times categorically that he will define everything that is on the phone and not those pesky customers.
Interestingly enough, he said that this lack of user control was taken from the iPod concept and is probably the first time that Jobs has admitted that he insists his users do as they are told. Fortunately for him they do.

I guess papa Jobs knows best
There goes all the interest I had in the iphone, who cares if it runs osx if I cant USE osx???
Old 01-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Python2121
There goes all the interest I had in the iphone, who cares if it runs osx if I cant USE osx???

Just curious, what kind of thing can you foresee wanting to do but not being able to?
Old 01-12-2007, 01:37 PM
The hair says it all

Originally Posted by BEETROOT
Just curious, what kind of thing can you foresee wanting to do but not being able to?
Basically I'm a huge computer nerd (so in other words, I am not the target market...although having osx on a desktop makes it a target for a power user because of the terminal). I want to be able to run programs like VLC so I don't need to worry about video formats and converting. I want to be able to run nintendo emulators so when I'm bored I can rock some mario, hell it's a computer why shouldn't it? I want new and creative programs and touch screen applications from 3rd party companies or programmers who just have a good idea and not to wait for Apple to come up for it. I would like etherial or kismet on it so I can sniff out wireless networks, I want to be able to take any program that runs under Linux or Unix and see it ported with extreme ease to this device.

As stated earlier in this thread, the software, not the hardware, is what will be selling this system, why start shutting doors? If stability of the network is concerned, why not compartmentalize the software so that unsigned programs are locked off from the GSM radio??

Last edited by Python2121; 01-12-2007 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:39 PM
It's not over yet

well for one thing it probably means no skype , which would've been great for making over sea calls on your cell and no homebrew applications. well that is until someone manages to crack the OS and come up with custom firmware.

Last edited by AQUI NO!; 01-12-2007 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:53 PM
werd

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
So Cisco basically wants in on Apple's actual iPhone?

What do they expect?
Old 01-12-2007, 11:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by amisconception
So Cisco basically wants in on Apple's actual iPhone?

What do they expect?
fucking A I jsut wrote this long post and lost it to the browser

well to sum up,

I don't think cisco wants a piece of Apple's version of the "iPhone"

Apple dropped the ball on agreement talks on the use of the trademark and that is what Cisco is going after.

here is some info on the iPhone that Cisco has had on the market well before Apple:

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper
iPhone and a New Age of Communications
iPhone represents a new age of communications, an age that has voice applications at its core. The iPhone age is about more than just dialing the phone and waiting to see if someone on the other end answers. Devices in this new age do more than simply connect you to friends, loved ones, and colleagues. They can also deliver particular types of content tailored to meet your specific needs.

iPhone Delivers Customized Content
iPhone products come with a variety of features that will change the way you communicate with friends and family, including:

• Compelling Internet services: iPhones work with such popular clients as Skype and Yahoo! Messenger with Voice; these clients display real-time contact list and presence information letting you know when the party you want to call is available.
  • Access to personal content: Use your iPhone to access music, photos, and live video cameras from sources on the Internet.
With an iPhone from Linksys, you can do more from your phone than just talk!
I personally think Apple is going to lose this case and if they are smart will probably settle out of court to save face on their part. Anytime any company infringed on their precious "iPod" or "pod" name they went after people. now the tables have turned and they took the iPhone monicker without having the legal rights to do so.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:03 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
David Pogue's iPhone FAQ's 1/2

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/...ked-questions/
http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/...s-list-part-2/

Who on earth would buy this thing? –Obviously not people who ask this question. But that’s OK–there’s no requirement that everyone buy the iPhone. More for the rest of us!
Old 01-13-2007, 11:18 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Rofl, Yes, I'd like 4000 Lattes to Go Please~!

That guy's money!
Old 01-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Cisco lost rights to iPhone trademark last year, experts say

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=236

excerpt:

An investigation into the ongoing trademark dispute between Cisco and Apple over the name "iPhone" appears to show that Cisco does not own the mark as claimed in their recent lawsuit. This is based on publicly available information from the US Patent and Trademark office, as well as public reviews of Cisco products over the past year. The trademark was apparently abandoned in late 2005/early 2006 because Cisco was not using it.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:53 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Colbert on the iPhone

<embed FlashVars='config=http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload/xml/data_synd.jhtml?vid=80781%26myspace=false' src='http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload/syndicated_player/index.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#006699' width='340' height='325' name='comedy_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'></embed>
Old 01-14-2007, 04:37 PM
The hair says it all

LG KE850 and iPhone: separated at birth?

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/11/i...ated-at-birth/
Old 01-15-2007, 08:49 AM
Race Director

Received 854 Likes on 526 Posts
Hackers looking forward to iPhone

'People are salivating over it,' says one security researcher

January 13, 2007 (IDG News Service) -- Technology fetishists aren't the only folks itching to get their hands on an iPhone. Hackers want to play with Apple Inc.'s new toy, too.

Within hours of Apple's iPhone unveiling on Tuesday, the iPhone was a hot topic on the Dailydave discussion list, a widely read forum on security research.

Much of the discussion centered on the processor that Apple may have chosen to power its new device and what kind of assembly language "shellcode" might work on this chip. "Is this beast running an ARM?" wrote reverse-engineering expert Havlar Flake, "I have doubts about a mobile device being based on x86, so does anyone have details about what sort of shellcode needs to be written?"

In an e-mail interview, one of the hackers behind the Month of Apple Bugs project, which is disclosing new Apple security vulnerabilities every day for the month of January, said he "would love to mess with" the iPhone.

"If it's really going to run OS X, [the iPhone] will bring certain security implications, such as potential misuses of wireless connectivity facilities, [and] deployment of malware in a larger scale," the hacker known as LMH wrote in an e-mail. He declined to provide his real name.

Because the device could include a range of advanced computing features, such as Apple's Bonjour service discovery protocol, it could provide many avenues of attack, according to LMH. "The possibilities of a worm for smartphones are something to worry about," he wrote. " Imagine Bonjour, and all the mess of features that OS X has, concentrated in a highly portable device which relies on wireless connectivity."

"This is all speculation right now, until a technical specification is released by Apple on its features and technology," he added.

David Maynor is another security researcher interested in the iPhone. Maynor's videotaped demonstration of a MacBook being hacked over a wireless network received widespread attention at last year's Black Hat USA conference, although Maynor and his co-presentor were later criticized for the way they presented their research. They demonstrated these flaws using a third-party wireless card rather than the one that ships with the MacBook, and they still have not published the code they used.

"I can't wait to get one," said Maynor, who is chief technology officer with Errata Security LLC. "There's already a lot of discussion going on, and it's not coming out for another six months. People are salivating over it."

Because the iPhone will be new and relatively untested, but running a familiar operating system, Maynor believes that there will be plenty of places for hackers to look for bugs. "My feeling is that this is going to be one of the easier devices to find vulnerabilities in."

But there is one other factor that will also help determine how often the iPhone is hacked: its popularity. If nobody buys the $499 device, then it become less interesting to hackers.

On the other hand, if it becomes as popular as the iPod, it "will become the preferred target for writers of mobile malware," wrote Kaspersky Lab Ltd. Senior Research Engineer Roel Schouwenberg in a recent blog posting.

The fact that hackers looking for OS X bugs would possibly have two platforms to exploit -- Apple's computers and the iPhone -- would "mean an increase in the number of vulnerabilities identified in Apple's workstation OS," he wrote.

Apple seems to be aware of the problem. Although the company was unable to provide an executive who could comment on the security of its products during this week's Macworld conference, the company was quick to respond to Havlar Flake's question on the Dailydave discussion list.

"Do you really want to know the answer to this question?" wrote Apple's Simon Cooper. "If so, then you should apply, get offered and accept the software security position I currently have open at Apple. This is work in Core OS for Mac OS X."

Another joy for Jobs
Old 01-19-2007, 04:11 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Apple iPhone's Insanely Great Profits

Apple iPhone's Insanely Great Profits
iSuppli, a research firm known for analyzing hardware component costs, has run the numbers on the iPhone and concluded that at $499 for a 4GB iPhone, Apple could be making 50 percent gross profit margins. The $599 8GB model is an even better deal - for Apple.

But I think the iPhone could be even more profitable for Apple - because it will only be sold with a two-year Cingular contract. Here's why.

When you look at the advertised price of most cell phones, you have to add $150 to $200 to get the true retail price. That's because wireless carriers typically discount the phones by that much in exchange for getting consumers to sign multi-year service contracts. The cost of the discount is priced into the service fees wireless carriers charge. Cancel the service, and you have to pay an early termination fee - essentially giving back the discount.

So who's getting the $200 here? If it's Apple, and the true price of the iPhone is more like $700, then it's making 64 percent profit margins. If it's AT&T's (T) Cingular, and the carrier's getting iPhone customers locked into two-year service contracts without having to shell out upfront for a hardware discount, then AT&T (T) shareholders should be glad Cingular struck such an insanely great deal.

Most likely Apple and Cingular are splitting the difference, with both poised to make hefty profits off the iPhone.

Update: Paul Kedrosky points out that unlike other iSuppli component-price analyses, the firm did not actually tear apart an actual iPhone, and so the figures are all guesses. In an IM conversation, he argued especially that iSuppli's price for the high-resolution, smudge-resistant touchscreen - the centerpiece of the iPhone - is way too low. Fair enough: That just makes Cingular's contribution to the iPhone's overall profit margin even more important.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:36 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Rogers Wireless to offer iPhone in Canada

Rogers Wireless has confirmed that it will be the exclusive carrier for Apple’s iPhone in Canada. “Rogers is actively working with Apple to launch the iPhone in Canada as soon as possible and will be the exclusive provider of the iPhone in Canada,” the company said this week in a customer service email. Rogers Wireless is the largest Canadian wireless communications service provider. An exact date and service pricing were not mentioned. Apple is set to release the iPhone in the U.S. in June.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:15 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Verizon rejected Apple iPhone deal

So, CDMA was the first choice for Apple and the iPhone...so much for the Apple hates CDMA theories.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/20...n-iphone_x.htm

NEW YORK — Verizon Wireless, the No. 2 U.S. cellphone carrier, passed on the chance to be the exclusive distributor of the iPhone almost two years ago, balking at Apple's rich financial terms and other demands.
Among other things, Apple wanted a percentage of the monthly cellphone fees, say over how and where iPhones could be sold and control of the relationship with iPhone customers, said Jim Gerace, a Verizon Wireless vice president. "We said no. We have nothing bad to say about the Apple iPhone. We just couldn't reach a deal that was mutually beneficial."

Verizon's decision to pull the plug on talks sent Apple into the waiting arms of Cingular, which will be the exclusive U.S. carrier for the iPhone. The multifunction device is expected to ship in June and cost about $500.

Apple and Cingular (which now is solely owned by AT&T and adopting that brand name) have declined to discuss terms of their alliance. But the Apple-Verizon talks offer a peek into the computer giant's thinking.

According to Verizon, Apple CEO Steve Jobs insisted that he have hard control over iPhone distribution.

The problem? While Apple and Verizon stores would have it, Wal-Mart, Best Buy and other Verizon distributors could have been left out. "That would have put our own distribution partners at a disadvantage" to Apple and Verizon stores, Gerace said.

Customer care was another hitch: If an iPhone went haywire, Apple wanted sole discretion over whether to replace or repair the phone. "They would have been stepping in between us and our customers to the point where we would have almost had to take a back seat … on hardware and service support," Gerace says.

Cingular won't talk about the financial terms or say how long its iPhone exclusivity lasts, but two people with direct knowledge of the deal say it's a five-year contract. The exclusive is USA-only, leaving Apple free to market its iPhone globally.

Natalie Kerris, an Apple spokeswoman, declined to comment on any aspect of this story.

Mark Siegel, a Cingular spokesman, said, "We think this is a win for Apple, and it is a win for Cingular."

Siegel declined to comment on customer care plans but said Cingular would field calls related to the wireless service. "I don't want to leave the impression that these (iPhone) customers are not ours. They are."

Siegel would not say whether Cingular distributors, which include Wal-Mart and RadioShack, would get the iPhone. The deal announcement referred only to Cingular and Apple stores and their websites.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Drifting

Old 02-23-2007, 06:30 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Study: Consumers not willing to pay $500 for iPhone

San Francisco (IDGNS) - Consumers aren't willing to pay what Apple may ask for the iPhone, but if the price drops they'll switch their mobile service to AT&T in order to get it, according to results of a survey released Thursday.

Online market research firm Compete Inc. surveyed 379 people in the U.S., most of whom had heard of the iPhone and have shopped for an iPod, to find out how interested they are in the device to produce the uncommissioned report. The iPhone is a combined music player and cell phone that Apple plans to start selling in the U.S. in June.

Among the 26 percent of respondents who said they're likely to buy an iPhone, only 1 percent said they'd pay $500 for it. When Apple introduced the iPhone in January, it said it would cost $500 on the low end.

Forty-two percent of those who said they're likely to buy the phone said they'd pay $200 to $299.

The iPhone will be available only to subscribers of Cingular Wireless, now part of AT&T. In a blow to the operator's competitors, 60 percent of those in the survey who said they were likely to buy the phone said they'd switch their mobile operator in order to get it.

While the iPhone has been discussed as a competitor to other handsets like Research In Motion's BlackBerry, the two serve very different markets, said Andy Neff, an analyst at Bear Stearns who participated in a conference call to discuss the results of the study. "Even though there's talk about this as an alternative to RIM, it's not a corporate product," he said. Instead, the iPhone is an indication of a broad shift toward smartphones and the emergence of niches within the category, he said.

The analysts were split on what price they think the device will ultimately retail for. Operators recently haven't been discounting phones in the similar price range as the iPhone, said Phil Cusick, an analyst at Bear Stearns.

However, Apple has been known to announce a product with one price and ultimately sell it for less. Apple TV, for example, was expected to cost $399 but sells for $299, he said.

The phone may start out around $500 because early adopters will pay that, said Neff. But pricing will likely drop by $100 to $200 to target the mass market, he said.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
hawt!!!

http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/
Old 06-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any idea when the iPhone is coming out?
Old 06-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Just like the ads say... June 29.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
I didn't think this phone was targeted towards the masses.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:16 AM

Received 2,776 Likes on 1,979 Posts
i like that slide to unlock feature, cause ive had it happen that when a bar phone was in my pocket i guess it randomly pressed the unlock combo.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,137 Posts
Anyone planning on getting one? Me, no
Old 06-04-2007, 10:42 PM
sup

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My bday is june 13th, and my gf told me my present wouldn't be "ready" by then....so i'm crossing my fingers.....
Old 06-05-2007, 12:17 AM

Received 2,776 Likes on 1,979 Posts
Originally Posted by ViperrepiV
My bday is june 13th, and my gf told me my present wouldn't be "ready" by then....so i'm crossing my fingers.....
damn if your gf does get you an iphone for your bday, i need to find me a girl like that
Old 06-05-2007, 09:15 AM
on to the next one...

Originally Posted by Mizouse
i need to find me a girl
Fixed...

I'm locked in for another 16 months with Sprint, and have no reason to switch from my Treo at this point. But I might just make the switch if I play with it enough to feel like I can't live without it.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:58 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i did a favor for my uncle who has a cell shop. I networked his whole office up and asked for an iphone as a joke. He said just pay the stup fee $35 bucs. I will it as soon as it's shipped.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:59 PM
sup

damn, tell me how it is
Old 06-07-2007, 11:20 PM
sup

there's one thing i don't get....how do you click on links within the web browser on this thing...when everything is so small, how does it know what you want to click on? and if you double click to zoom....do you have to hit un-linked area?
Old 06-11-2007, 09:10 PM
I like to whistle in my

im mostly likely getting one. contract ending on current provider. Been using mac for the past 6 years( consistently) until i bought my own, then iPod and the phone just wraps everything up. Maybe even get appleTV eventually:P
Old 06-12-2007, 01:51 AM
iDrink

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
want it, but not getting it. i cant justify spending that much on a phone.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:02 AM
The hair says it all

Ill get it in december when the bugs are worked out and I am off contract.

"Study: Consumers not willing to pay $500 for iPhone" BULLSHIT, I am willing to pay $500 for a phone, am I not a consumer? And what about everyone in every other country who pay $500 regularly for phones. If it is half computer half phone I have no issues dropping some pennies.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Yeehaw

I won't pay $500 for a phone, but I will pay $500 for a PDA, video iPod, and a phone in one.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:31 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I won't pay $500 for a phone, but I will pay $500 for a PDA, video iPod, and a phone in one.
Werd.......I'm gonna have to try my roomates At&t phone out for a day to see how reception is. If its acceptable I might get an iphone since my personal line is up with Verizon. I could just sell my Dell axiom, ipod Nano 8gb, and Black moto q to come up with the $500 to get the iphone. I will just have a problem if I can't get insurance on the damn thing........cingular was always nutty like that.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Yeehaw

Thats pretty much how I am justifying this. It will replace my w810i and my nano. I have also been holding off on buying both a real iPod and a PDA in favor of the iPhone.

My only concern is the lack of any actual buttons. I have never really liked using the touchscreens on any of my previous PDA phones, hopefully this is better.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Trucki!!

Thats pretty much how I am justifying this. It will replace my w810i and my nano. I have also been holding off on buying both a real iPod and a PDA in favor of the iPhone.

My only concern is the lack of any actual buttons. I have never really liked using the touchscreens on any of my previous PDA phones, hopefully this is better.
True, but it would be my personal phone.....already have my crackberry for work. I just hope that since it has the 30 pin connector I can connect it to my ipod adapter in my car. If I can do that I'm sold.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:37 PM
on to the next one...

Really? The exact opposite is why I went with my Treo as opposed to a BJ or BB...
Old 06-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by bgsm1th
Really? The exact opposite is why I went with my Treo as opposed to a BJ or BB...
But you still have the option of using buttons. You have no option with the iphone
Old 06-12-2007, 02:47 PM
sup

personally, i don't mind paying for the phone, i'm just afraid of the cost of the monthly service they are going to require...
Old 06-12-2007, 03:05 PM
The hair says it all

Originally Posted by ViperrepiV
personally, i don't mind paying for the phone, i'm just afraid of the cost of the monthly service they are going to require...
as far as i can tell, its going to be the $30 unlim data (anyone know if this is more expensive for 3g?) and i will then get a very low plan for my minutes

Quick Reply: It's official - Apple iPhone + Cingular