Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

It's official - Apple iPhone + Cingular

Old 01-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Neech
We use Cingular for work and it's nothing but trouble. We have sites throughout Fairfield county and the dropped call were so bad, I dropped my work phone in a draw and use my personal phone (Verizon) for work now.

I love the iPhone tho. Too bad they went and lumped themselves in with one carrier for 2 years.

I grew up in Fairfield County, and thats where I was last week, and in my experience the coverage from every company stinks. I spent a lot of time driving between Fairfield, Wilton, Ridgefield and Danbury, and I didn't notice Cingular as any better or any worse than other providers I've had, or the coverage of the people I was with. I don't have personal experience with Verizon though.

The network coverage on the east coast alone is enough to keep me out west. I forgot how annoying it is to deal with a shitty signal or no signal at all.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:34 PM
sup

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm guessing that you'll need to purchase a data plan with this as well....which can double your monthly cell phone bill...going from $50 a month to $100 is a big step. Also, what happens when the battery starts to die out?
Old 01-09-2007, 09:49 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
even tho sometimes my coverage suck from cingular im still getting one but i heard everyone has to wait till june
Old 01-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 633 Likes on 281 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
I wonder which carrier they'll use for Canada...?

why wonder, it will be Rogers.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:56 PM
intelligentsia

Location: Land of cheap vodka, hot girls, and great nightlife
I don't even live in Canada and I know its coming out on Rogers. I bet it will be on Vodafone and China Mobile too when it gets released in those areas.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:21 AM
Yeehaw

Originally Posted by ViperrepiV
I'm guessing that you'll need to purchase a data plan with this as well....which can double your monthly cell phone bill...going from $50 a month to $100 is a big step. Also, what happens when the battery starts to die out?
Well you need a data plan for any smartphone/blackberry. Also Cingular has an unlimited data plan for smartphones for $20.

Last edited by BEETROOT; 01-10-2007 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:39 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by BEETROOT
Well you need a data plan for any smartphone/blackberry. Also Cingular has an unlimited data plan for smartphones for $20.
What about T-Mobile? Are there any unlimited data plans for the Sidekick? Do they have an unlimited data plan for $20? I never heard of that plan for Cingular though... is it an Arizona-exclusive?

Wonder if the iPhone can be unlocked or hacked somehow. Just looked at pics, didn't read anything. Cingular sucks ass, but Sony Ericsson Walkman phones are just too good. I would switch to T-Mobile but I'm still under contract.

I don't really like touch screen/input phones that don't have keyboards. How will you text? LG Chocolate = Motorola Ming = cool, but primarily a fashion phone. And I bet that if you looked at the iPhone funny it would end up with a bunch of scratches.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:52 AM
That's Racist

damn. that thing looks absolutely awesome.

if it's got any problems remotely like the ipod battery depletion rate though i'd be hard-pressed to really actually like this phone though....
Old 01-10-2007, 07:55 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I agree, Apple has taken personal communication devices to the next level with the iPhone. I just hope this phone can live up to the hype.

Oh, and I will defend Cingular as well. I’ve been using them/AT&T for about 5+ years and haven’t had any problems with their network.

CINGULAR ROCKS!!!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:06 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm shocked at all the Cingular bashing. I have it (NY) and always have service everywhere I go. Verizon gives you better service, but Cingular is better than T-mobile, Sprint/Nextel by a good margin. The $20 unlimited data plan and my company discount made Cingular an easy decision for me.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:24 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice phone but I don't see much of a market for this

I used to sell phones and it was hard enough to get people to buy a $50 phone let alone a $500 phone. Ill stick to my IPOD and cellphone being seperate, that way I can upgrade them independently.

Also I would never ever switch to cingular. Around this area their coverage is
Plus with verizon my coverage rocks and everyone I know has it so I hardly use my minutes
Old 01-10-2007, 09:02 AM
on to the next one...

Originally Posted by spdy0001

I disagree
There are SO many applephiles out there the demand will be tremendous. I've never been an Apple-fan myself, but I can't wait for this phone to come out...and many of my non-Apple friends are the same way. This IS then the next generation of personal communication devices, and Apple went all out to make sure they did it right.

Also, in his keynote speak, Steve Jobs said that even if they get 1% of the total mobile phone market in 2007, the equates to 10 million units...
...10 million units at ~$500 is $5Billion. I think they'll settle for that...
Old 01-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Yeehaw

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
What about T-Mobile? Are there any unlimited data plans for the Sidekick? Do they have an unlimited data plan for $20? I never heard of that plan for Cingular though... is it an Arizona-exclusive?

Its national, it is under 'data plans - smartphones' on the Cingular website. This plan works for anything considered a 'smartphone'... but if it is considered a PDA you have to pay $50 for the unlimited data plan.

Blackjack = smartphone
Treo = PDA

So I think I was wrong, since iPhone will almost definitely be considered a PDA.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:25 AM
sup

Originally Posted by spdy0001

In the grand sceme of things, I don't think that many americans will be willing to spill the cash for a $500-$600 phone, two year contract, and additional data coverage. Additionally, limiting it to Cingular restricts the potential userbase. This phone will liekly steal marketshare away from current smarphone users, especially who currently use Cingular, and it will also convert a solid number of regular phone users to the smartphone space. The main thing is that I think it is just too expensive to attract mass demand - it is an uber luxury item.

That beng said, I still want one really badly! It looks totally sweet. I currently have Cingular and have been thinking about going over to the smartphone realm.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:37 AM
Yeehaw

Guys, the Treo 700's list price is $700, and those are flying off the shelves. The iPhone for 5 or 600 isn't in some super expensive class by itself.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:44 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
Guys, the Treo 700's list price is $700, and those are flying off the shelves. The iPhone for 5 or 600 isn't in some super expensive class by itself.
Corporations are buying the Treo....
Old 01-10-2007, 10:58 AM
on to the next one...

Its national, it is under 'data plans - smartphones' on the Cingular website. This plan works for anything considered a 'smartphone'... but if it is considered a PDA you have to pay $50 for the unlimited data plan.

Blackjack = smartphone
Treo = PDA

So I think I was wrong, since iPhone will almost definitely be considered a PDA.
again, don't mean to hijack, but I'm looking at getting the BlackJack through Cing until the iPhone comes out, and it appears that on the Cing site, the only data plans for the BlackJarck are PDA plans...Smartphone plans do not seem to be available for the BlackJack...

Is the site just deciving and I need to go into the store to get the $20 unlimited Smarphone plan as opposed to the $44 unlimited PDA plan?

Again, sorry for the hijack...
Old 01-10-2007, 11:00 AM
on to the next one...

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Corporations are buying the Treo....
most of the people I know that have the Treo (the younger, early 20-somethings mind you) are paying for the Treo and it's plan out of their own pocket.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by bgsm1th
most of the people I know that have the Treo (the younger, early 20-somethings mind you) are paying for the Treo and it's plan out of their own pocket.
Why?
Old 01-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Yeehaw

again, don't mean to hijack, but I'm looking at getting the BlackJack through Cing until the iPhone comes out, and it appears that on the Cing site, the only data plans for the BlackJarck are PDA plans...Smartphone plans do not seem to be available for the BlackJack...

Is the site just deciving and I need to go into the store to get the $20 unlimited Smarphone plan as opposed to the $44 unlimited PDA plan?

Again, sorry for the hijack...

I've been looking at getting one also, and on the forums/blogs/phone sites I've read that the $20 plan 'flies under Cingulars PDA radar'. It might not let you get it when you configure the plan initially, but you should be able to switch to it online after you own the phone. I'm not 100% sure, but that is what I've read.

I paid for mine, so did a lot of people I know. I know the biggest market is business, but it is a hot item for personal use too. And considering the iPhone works as an iPod, video player, runs OS X, and is possibly the coolest looking piece of tech to come out in 5 years... I can't imagine it will be that much of a tough sell.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Yeehaw

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Why?
mp3 player, video player, web browsing, good calendar functions, nice touchscreen... its a versatile phone, doesn't have to be just a business thing.

plus its a status symbol
Old 01-10-2007, 11:11 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
my oh my how ya'll under estimate Apple's demographics.

Apple will have no problem selling 10 million units. That's their goal and they'll surpass it.

This is exactly what 90% of Apple fans and Apple users have been begging for.

If you own a Mac, you'll probably end up buying an iPhone.

... and that's ignoring the iPod's non-Mac using userbase.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:36 AM
My Garage

Not saying this phone isn't cool, but what can it do that my WM5 phone cant?
Old 01-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
Wait until the exclusive ends in 2009... then it will likely be on the other networks. I love the phone, but no way I'll buy it if I have to use it on Cingular's crappy network...
I retract my Cingular comment.

One of my posts from the MacWorld topic in the HT forum...
Plus, last night I realized that my parents have Cingular. For some reason I thought they switched to Verizon when they moved down... but they did not. So they've been using Cingular and have no problems with service neither here, or when they visit NY. So that is a good sign.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Not saying this phone isn't cool, but what can it do that my WM5 phone cant?
look cool.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Looks like I found my new phone. Anyone wanna buy a Samsung D600?

Can't wait till this comes out.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 633 Likes on 281 Posts
i don't think Vodaphone will get it, i would assume Orange will get it in the UK and Europe.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by Astroboy
i don't think Vodaphone will get it, i would assume Orange will get it in the UK and Europe.
Orange
Old 01-10-2007, 02:19 PM
It's not over yet

Originally Posted by soopa
my oh my how ya'll under estimate Apple's demographics.

Apple will have no problem selling 10 million units. That's their goal and they'll surpass it.

This is exactly what 90% of Apple fans and Apple users have been begging for.

If you own a Mac, you'll probably end up buying an iPhone.

... and that's ignoring the iPod's non-Mac using userbase.
not trying to start a flame war, but this is my opinion
A glorified Ipod with built in phone?
The more I read and find out about the iphone the more i conclude the Iphone is a multimedia player first, phone second and handicapped PDA third(no support for removable media, no support for third party applications such as documents to go, no support for MS exchange). The Iphone is revolutionary multimedia player, NOT a revolutionary phone(no ground breaking comm technologies such as 3g or uma), but it's definitely a good step in the right direction in terms of combining different techs and should prompt the nokias of the world to step up to bat. That said, if some one gave me an Iphone I would be sure to sport it, but there is no way i'm paying $500 for the iphone when i already have an ipod nano/80g ipod and a htc 8525, but i'll pick one up if it drops below 250
Old 01-10-2007, 02:44 PM
on to the next one...

Originally Posted by AQUI NO!
not trying to start a flame war, but this is my opinion
A glorified Ipod with built in phone?
The more I read and find out about the iphone the more i conclude the Iphone is a multimedia player first, phone second and handicapped PDA third(no support for removable media, no support for third party applications such as documents to go, no support for MS exchange). The Iphone is revolutionary multimedia player, NOT a revolutionary phone(no ground breaking comm technologies such as 3g or uma), but it's definitely a good step in the right direction in terms of combining different techs and should prompt the nokias of the world to step up to bat. That said, if some one gave me an Iphone I would be sure to sport it, but there is no way i'm paying $500 for the iphone when i already have an ipod nano/80g ipod and a htc 8525, but i'll pick one up if it drops below 250
That may be what is holding you back, but it won't stop countless other individuals from running out and plunking down $600 the day it's released.
Even if it WAS a "glorified iPod" (which it's not), there would still be a huge market for it... I know more people that I can count that have gone out and gotten a old brick iPod, followed by an iPod mini/nano and then buying a third iPod in video form...this is just the next step for all of the Apple lovers out there...

Price point be damned, this thing is going to sell big.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:05 PM
It's not over yet

No doubt, apple fans and the image conscious are going to eat this up and ask for seconds "price point be dammed" just as Steve jobs is projecting. My beef is all the hype. The Iphone will not flop and with no discounts will surely bring in some nice revenues for Mr jobs, but the truth is the iphone is a multimedia player first, phone second and PDA third, this is not a phone for power users.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:13 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
it's a revolutionary device. if you try to put it in a single existing category of course its not going to measure up to whatever is already specialized in that genre if whats already specialized is what you want.

for many of us, we dont want any of the shit thats on the market.

for many of us this is what WE want.

if you're not into it you're not into it it's not being made for you.

its being made for a consumer who is not happy with whats out there now
Old 01-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Because Of You

Originally Posted by SRK85

Anyways why did Al Gore leave a voice message?

You should go to the apple site and watch the whole demo/keynote. It was great. Steve Jobs laughed at the Zune and joked with Creative Labs.

The very first thought I had while watching the demo/keynote was that Bill Gates was so SCREWED!!! If I was Bill, I would be firing people already!
Old 01-10-2007, 04:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
i'll bet one month later microsoft realese a new phone scheduled to come out in june....... call the WimP(windows phone)
Old 01-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Yeehaw

Originally Posted by soopa

for many of us, we dont want any of the shit thats on the market.
You hit the nail on the head. I don't want to carry a seperate phone, mp3 player, and a PDA, but it would be nice to have that functionality. So far there isn't anything on the market that does all three properly.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Suzuka Master

You hit the nail on the head. I don't want to carry a seperate phone, mp3 player, and a PDA, but it would be nice to have that functionality. So far there isn't anything on the market that does all three properly.
blackberry pearl.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Suzuka Master

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070110-8594.html

I guess no one will buy buying the iPhone.

Talk about putting the horse before the wagon.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:40 PM
sup

Old 01-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 550 Posts
Who couldn't see this coming
And it is funny I saw a press release by Apple earlier in the day saying they were close to an agreement.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070110/.../cisco_apple_8

Cisco sues Apple over use of iPhone name

By JORDAN ROBERTSON, AP Business Writer 1 hour, 32 minutes ago

SAN FRANCISCO - Cisco Systems sued Apple Inc. in federal court Wednesday, saying the computer maker's new iPhone violates its trademark.
ADVERTISEMENT

The lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, came just a day after Apple CEO Steve Jobs unveiled the Apple iPhone in dramatic fashion at a trade show in San Francisco.

But even while Jobs was trumpeting the product during his keynote address to Apple faithful, the matter of the product's naming had not been resolved behind the scenes between two of the biggest names in Silicon Valley.

San Jose-based Cisco, the world's largest network-equipment maker, has owned the trademark on the name "iPhone" since 2000, when it acquired InfoGear Technology Corp., which originally registered the name.

And three weeks ago, Cisco's Linksys division put the trademark to use, releasing an Internet phone called "iPhone" that uses the increasingly popular Voice over Internet Protocol, or VoIP.

But on Tuesday, Jobs unveiled Apple's own iPhone, a "game-changing" touch-screen-controlled cell phone device that plays music, surfs the Web and delivers voicemail and e-mail.

Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris said she could not immediately comment on the lawsuit.

Cisco said Tuesday it had been negotiating for several years with Apple over a licensing agreement, but that Apple lawyers had not signed and returned the final contract.

"Cisco entered into negotiations with Apple in good faith after Apple repeatedly asked permission to use Cisco's iPhone name," said Mark Chandler, Cisco senior vice president and general counsel, in a statement. "There is no doubt that Apple's new phone is very exciting, but they should not be using our trademark without our permission."

Cisco is seeking injunctive relief to prevent Apple from copying Cisco's iPhone trademark.

"Today's iPhone is not tomorrow's iPhone. The potential for convergence of the home phone, cell phone, work phone and PC is limitless, which is why it is so important for us to protect our brand," Chandler added.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:34 PM
My Garage

This is what I don't get...

I have a Cingular 3125

I can play all the songs I want and watch any video (with expandable memory) on Windows media player , organize my entire life (windows mobile), and make any calls I have to with it.

What exactly is the iphone revolutionizing? I'm not hating, i think it's really cool, I would consider it if I was in the market. But it doesn't seem like this is really doing anything that many other phones out there can't do.

Quick Reply: It's official - Apple iPhone + Cingular