Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

HTC Touch Pro Released on 10/25/2008, New Pictures Inside!!!

Old 10-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
LOL...my 650 is soooo jacked...im just keepin it for a backup...btw did u get the 20% off?...
me too...palm has to step up their game
Yeah I got the 20% off. It's a great deal AND I get to keep my $30 a month SERO plan.

I actually bought from Japan the entire outer case for my Treo. Whoever buys it is basically getting a brand spankin new 755P.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
With the windows up in my car I can barely hear the speakerphone on my Sprint Mogul with the volume set to max! it's predecessor, the PPC-6700 was the same. Both had speakerphones that sucked arse!

The only phones that I've ever found that were great on speakerphone were nextel phones.

....used the speaker twice today with great results....i really hope it stays this way!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Yeah I got the 20% off. It's a great deal AND I get to keep my $30 a month SERO plan.

I actually bought from Japan the entire outer case for my Treo. Whoever buys it is basically getting a brand spankin new 755P.
...you came up strong bro!

... sounds like a great deal on the 755p is to be had....

...gotta admit...the combo of having NONE of my 650P's 3 years of info and the uphill climb on the OS is giving me fits today!!!!... plus today was crazy at work
Old 10-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
....used the speaker twice today with great results....i really hope it stays this way!
Good to hear! Literally!
Old 10-27-2008, 10:03 PM

...I do like the voice commands!!!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 10:08 PM

Good to hear! Literally!
Old 10-29-2008, 09:26 PM

UPDATE:

1. Call quality is excellent with and without my plantronics headset. Speaker phone works really well....peeps dont even know i have activated it...
2. OS is fast and has not locked up on me even with 6 or 7 programs running
3. the opera browser is pretty cool... actually did a live online chat with the phone in between patients at work...
4. the keyboard is money! it is actually easier to use than I thought...
5. I dont like that the touch flo doesnt work when the keyboard is open
6. feels good in your hands... the back is mildly non slip... my treo was like a greased eel in my hands... you could drop it by just thinking about it...
7. Battery power is crazy short!!! it works like a mini laptop...so I figure that's the price, so I just plug it in when the phone is just sitting around... def need to invest in a battery powered back up for emergencies.
8. camera has really good clarity, but is alittle slow to shoot after it focuses
9. Its delicate... I would avoid dropping it at all costs
10. case has serious vercro on it...so it wont open accidentally, but I detest carrying a phone in a case... says "geeksquad" to me.
11. the format for the OS and the presentation is stunning and creative... but makes good sense...most of the time
12. I still have no good idea how to transfer no's from my treo since sprint nor Best buy have the software to accomplish this feat....LOL
13. Still cannot believe sprint let best buy beat them to the punch.... 2 of my co workers are trying to score a Pro at BB now that they played around with mine over the past 2 days...
14. Really dont like the map function....but the gps did find a really hard to find Mexican place yesterday and the food was great!
More later... I still have alot of learning to do with this phone!!!
Old 10-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Team Owner

UPDATE:

1. Call quality is excellent with and without my plantronics headset. Speaker phone works really well....peeps dont even know i have activated it...
2. OS is fast and has not locked up on me even with 6 or 7 programs running
3. the opera browser is pretty cool... actually did a live online chat with the phone in between patients at work...
4. the keyboard is money! it is actually easier to use than I thought...
5. I dont like that the touch flo doesnt work when the keyboard is open
6. feels good in your hands... the back is mildly non slip... my treo was like a greased eel in my hands... you could drop it by just thinking about it...
7. Battery power is crazy short!!! it works like a mini laptop...so I figure that's the price, so I just plug it in when the phone is just sitting around... def need to invest in a battery powered back up for emergencies.
8. camera has really good clarity, but is alittle slow to shoot after it focuses
9. Its delicate... I would avoid dropping it at all costs
10. case has serious vercro on it...so it wont open accidentally, but I detest carrying a phone in a case... says "geeksquad" to me.
11. the format for the OS and the presentation is stunning and creative... but makes good sense...most of the time
12. I still have no good idea how to transfer no's from my treo since sprint nor Best buy have the software to accomplish this feat....LOL
13. Still cannot believe sprint let best buy beat them to the punch.... 2 of my co workers are trying to score a Pro at BB now that they played around with mine over the past 2 days...
14. Really dont like the map function....but the gps did find a really hard to find Mexican place yesterday and the food was great!
More later... I still have alot of learning to do with this phone!!!
one of the things you can do to increase your battery life is decrease the backlight on the screen. that helped a lot on my sprint mogul.

also, if you need to buy any accessories, check out wirelessground.com. they ship out of burbank here in so cal. I've bought from them before and had good service and they sell OEM and aftermarket products for very affordable prices.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:39 PM

one of the things you can do to increase your battery life is decrease the backlight on the screen. that helped a lot on my sprint mogul.

also, if you need to buy any accessories, check out wirelessground.com. they ship out of burbank here in so cal. I've bought from them before and had good service and they sell OEM and aftermarket products for very affordable prices.
Does the mogul have an auto adjusting screen brightness? The pro has it... should I disable it and just manually lower the brightness?

Thanks alot for link for some goodies!!!!
Old 10-30-2008, 01:03 AM
Team Owner

Does the mogul have an auto adjusting screen brightness? The pro has it... should I disable it and just manually lower the brightness?

Thanks alot for link for some goodies!!!!
The Mogul doesn't have auto brightness. Most of the time I keep it on low, but outdoors, usually you can't see crap, so I end up making it bright again. try putting it on low so that it doesn't auto adjust and see if it helps. Theoretically it should since it'll never go to a brighter setting. The other thing, bluetooth on the WM phones is like gas to an exotic car. I hardly use bluetooth so I keep it off. When I keep it off, my battery can usually last a few days without a charge. But when I turn bluetooth on, i'd be lucky to go half the day without needing to plug it in. Try to keep services that you aren't using turned off, and same goes for keeping the number of applications you are running to a minimum.

I'm not sure what the contrast ratio is on the Pro, like any new phone you're gonna have to try different things like I did when I first got my Mogul and see how the different settings work for you.

What time of memory card does the Pro work with? Is it microSD? or microSDHC? newegg has those cards always on sale for dirt cheap. if you need the extra space, I'd look into getting a larger sized memory card.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on the new phone! Looks sweet!

Turn off Wi-Fi if it is on. On my XV6800 (same thing as Mogul) there is a switch on the left side.

With the Wi-Fi on, the battery life is insanely short.

I leave my BT on all the time, and it lasts all day.

I always charge my phone every nite. Always done that with all my phones.

I agree the speakerphone is too soft.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:53 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,751 Likes on 2,535 Posts
i hate all you sprint users and your fast new touch pro. verizons is going to have the same processor and same amount of ram as the 6800 had. dont even know why they are bothering to release it. the sprint one has 1/4 faster processor and 1.5x as much ram.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
i hate all you sprint users and your fast new touch pro. verizons is going to have the same processor and same amount of ram as the 6800 had. dont even know why they are bothering to release it. the sprint one has 1/4 faster processor and 1.5x as much ram.
I have no idea what verizon is thinkin!!!!

I wanted 3 years to get a new phone...its kinda qwerky but I can live with the hiccups to get a great phone!....And it already looks there are fixes and and updates on the way to smooth out the bumps!!!
Old 11-02-2008, 09:50 PM

The Mogul doesn't have auto brightness. Most of the time I keep it on low, but outdoors, usually you can't see crap, so I end up making it bright again. try putting it on low so that it doesn't auto adjust and see if it helps. Theoretically it should since it'll never go to a brighter setting. The other thing, bluetooth on the WM phones is like gas to an exotic car. I hardly use bluetooth so I keep it off. When I keep it off, my battery can usually last a few days without a charge. But when I turn bluetooth on, i'd be lucky to go half the day without needing to plug it in. Try to keep services that you aren't using turned off, and same goes for keeping the number of applications you are running to a minimum.

I'm not sure what the contrast ratio is on the Pro, like any new phone you're gonna have to try different things like I did when I first got my Mogul and see how the different settings work for you.

What time of memory card does the Pro work with? Is it microSD? or microSDHC? newegg has those cards always on sale for dirt cheap. if you need the extra space, I'd look into getting a larger sized memory card.
....i took the back of the phone off and it says microSD on it... is there anywhere I should chk?

...Thanks for the suggestions on the battery power... for reasons I don't understand...my battery is doing better...maybe I am just using it smarter... LOL imagine that!!!
Old 11-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Team Owner

....i took the back of the phone off and it says microSD on it... is there anywhere I should chk?

...Thanks for the suggestions on the battery power... for reasons I don't understand...my battery is doing better...maybe I am just using it smarter... LOL imagine that!!!
unfortunately, most manufacturers aren't smart enough to realize that microSD is not the same as microSDHC. So instead they specify what the maximum capacity card you can use. Also unfortunate in this case I couldn't find what the maximize is for the HTC Touch Pro after reading the user manual provided on the Sprint website.

I have a 2GB microsd card in my Mogul. IF your touch pro is capable of using microsdhc cards, then you can buy an 8GB data card! I noticed that one cool feature of the Touch Pro is that you can use the memory card in your phone as a usb flash drive using the phone's bluetooth as the connection. That feature is pretty damn cool IMO.

I haven't tried looking up the info on the htc website yet...
Old 11-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Team Owner

Ok, so I found the spec list on the HTC website...

http://www.htc.com/www/product/touch...ification.html

It lists the phone as SD 2.0 capable which means, as far as I know, that it supports SDHC cards which means you can buy the larger CD card sizes. To double check, call up sprint or htc customer service to double check, unless someone else on the boards can verify my info for me. Good luck dude!
Old 11-03-2008, 03:35 AM
Burning Brakes

I am running an 8GB SDHC MicroSD card in my XV6800. I had to install a patch to get it to work. File was called SDHC.777.cab.

Search the internet for the file, or if you can't find it, PM me and I can send it to you.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Kikaida
I am running an 8GB SDHC MicroSD card in my XV6800. I had to install a patch to get it to work. File was called SDHC.777.cab.

Search the internet for the file, or if you can't find it, PM me and I can send it to you.
Awesome, theoretically this should work for the regular HTC touch too right?

I'll probably not do the file update on my mogul, but a buddy of mine that has the regular Touch could make use of it.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Awesome, theoretically this should work for the regular HTC touch too right?

I'll probably not do the file update on my mogul, but a buddy of mine that has the regular Touch could make use of it.
Actually, after thinking about it, didn't you do an HTC firmware update and update to WM6.1?

The SDHC card might already work...
Old 11-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Team Owner

Actually, after thinking about it, didn't you do an HTC firmware update and update to WM6.1?

The SDHC card might already work...
Nope, haven't done the update to 6.1, but my friends' touch which is running 6.1 doesn't have SDHC enabled either.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Give it a try. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work on your friends Touch.

Another good patch is the no2chem 6800 battery driver. It shows your battery in 1% increments instead of 10%.

Should work on the Touch too I think.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Team Owner

Give it a try. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work on your friends Touch.

Another good patch is the no2chem 6800 battery driver. It shows your battery in 1% increments instead of 10%.

Should work on the Touch too I think.
DUDE, where do you learn all these sweet updates!!
Old 11-05-2008, 09:31 PM

DUDE, where do you learn all these sweet updates!!
... I feel like I am a caveman with this high tech phone... and all the cool peeps are making them fly and mine is a paperweight!... I gotta get some time away with my phone!!!!
Old 11-05-2008, 09:43 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
belated congrats, darksith!

i'm glad you finally got your phone.

it's been a long time coming.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:47 AM
Burning Brakes

... I feel like I am a caveman with this high tech phone... and all the cool peeps are making them fly and mine is a paperweight!... I gotta get some time away with my phone!!!!
Nah, don't worry about it. I have had this phone for many months now so find these tricks of the trade.

Be happy that you got your new phone and enjoy it.

Verizon (who I have) probably won't get the phone for a long while.

I am prepping now for doing the update on my phone that Sprint released a loooong time ago...
Old 11-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Just downloaded and installed PocketShield. http://pocketshield.netserver01.com/

Very cool app. I hate accidentally answering a call when I pull my phone out of the case.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Interesting program. Only works on Diamond and Touch Pro though as it needs a light sensor and accelerometer.

I don't think I ever accidentally answered my phone pulling it out of the case on my XV6800... Is this due to the type of buttons that are on the Diamond / Touch Pro?
Old 11-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Senior Moderator

I end up either hitting the power button or the volume buttons on the sides and top.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:12 PM

I end up either hitting the power button or the volume buttons on the sides and top.
me too!... that looks like a cool program!

BTW: my TP seems to gather dings on the edges faster than my CLS!!!!

Anyone know if there is a clear cover for it yet!!!
Old 11-10-2008, 10:28 PM

....anyone rocking a new jawbone with their TP?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
belated congrats, darksith!

i'm glad you finally got your phone.

it's been a long time coming.
Thanks Jedi.... I almost turned blue holdin' my breath...LOL
Old 11-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Senior Moderator

me too!... that looks like a cool program!

BTW: my TP seems to gather dings on the edges faster than my CLS!!!!

Anyone know if there is a clear cover for it yet!!!
Hot off the presses. Ordered mine last night.

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/...ns-shields.php
Old 11-11-2008, 10:13 AM
Senior Moderator

....anyone rocking a new jawbone with their TP?
I use the original jawbone. Works great. Pairs well. I always had issues with is pairing on my Treo 755P.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:56 PM

I use the original jawbone. Works great. Pairs well. I always had issues with is pairing on my Treo 755P.
Sweet! Thanks...gonna one this week...
Old 11-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Did you get it yet? Review?
Old 11-15-2008, 08:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Did you get it yet? Review?
Not yet. Hopefully next week. I think they just got done finishing the template for it this week.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:36 PM

Qwik ?...does the jawbone allow you to use the TP's voice commands thru it?

...does any BT headset allow this?
Old 11-24-2008, 02:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Hey DarkSith, have you tried Microsoft Voice Commander? It is supposed to be much better than the regular Voice Dial that is probably included on your phone.

You don't have to train it, and you can do lots of other commands besides dialing, such as controlling the Media Player, having it read your text messages, tell you different statuses like battery power, signal strength, etc. etc...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...e-command.mspx
Old 11-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Got it Friday and installed it over the weekend. Fits great. Waiting for the air bubbles to dissipate. Covers the entire phone. Lot's of pieces. Took me a few minutes to figure out where each piece went. Make sure to use plenty of the spray they give you to keep it wet. It's really sticky.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Burning Brakes

How is the texture? I read reviews saying that it is more grippy which makes the stylus harder to use.

Quick Reply: HTC Touch Pro Released on 10/25/2008, New Pictures Inside!!!