Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Get HIGH SPEED Internet Access Via BLUETOOTH and v710 Right NOW!

Old 08-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get HIGH SPEED Internet Access Via BLUETOOTH and v710 Right NOW!

I'm sure some of you are aware, but I wasn't until scouring the HOFO's and experimenting, so here it is for others......you don't need to wait for any PhoneTools software update, you don't need to wait for any v710 firmware update, and you don't need to pay a penny extra to get high speed wireless internet access. Your v710 and Bluetooth enabled notebook are fully capable of working right now in any airport, classroom, park, or beach in about 5 minutes. Here's how:

If you're in the America's Choice plan you've been unknowingly upgraded to a status that lets you surf the web at high speed with the only 'charge' being a deduction from your minutes. Used to be that you could do this at no charge at 14.4 kbps and then pay more for what was called the "Express Network" at 115.2 kbps. That's gone now as the advent of the camera phone means Verizon needs to open up that high speed pipe for you to use to transmit photos and videos. Free nights and weekends? Means that after 9pm Mon-Fri and all day Sat-Sun you can surf for FREE. All you need is a Bluetooth notebook or a notebook with a USB Bluetooth adapter.

Step 1: Pairing The Notebook With The v710

1)In Win XP, go to Start>Control Panel>Wireless Link.
2)Launch the wizard.
3)On the v710, go to Menu>Settings>Connection>Bluetooth Link>Setup>Find Me.
4)Quickly hit the Back button.
5)Go up to Handsfree>Look For Devices.
6)Back on the notebook, let the wizard find the Bluetooth connection to the phone.
7)Make sure you do not change the authentication key. Take what the wizard gives you.

Step 2: New DUN Connection

In Win XP...

1)Go to Start>Control Panel>Network Connections>New Connection Wizard
2)Hit Next. Select>Connect to the Internet
3)Select Set Up Connection Manually
4)Select Connect Using Dial-Up Modem
5)Type "Motorola v710 High Speed Connection" in Box
6)For the phone number use "#777"
7)For user name use <your.phone.number@vzw3g.com>
...ex. 5555551212, using the area code and no hypehns
8)For the password use "vzw"
9)Click next
10)Click finish
11)When the connect to box comes up, click on "Properties"
12)Under "Connect Using" make sure "Standard Modem over Bluetooth link" is selected.
13)Click OK
14)Click Dial

After the connection is made, launch Internet Explorer and you're done!

I thought I had to wait until PhoneTools was updated or I had to suffer with the USB cord. Wrong!

BJ
Old 08-12-2004, 08:33 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Great info. I'll check this out when/if I get a BT adapter for the PC or notebook.

Question - are we using the PC/Notebook's internet connection or is it the phone's connection? If it's the PC/notebook's, then we shouldn't be using any minutes, right?
Old 08-12-2004, 08:35 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by moeronn
Great info. I'll check this out when/if I get a BT adapter for the PC or notebook.

Question - are we using the PC/Notebook's internet connection or is it the phone's connection? If it's the PC/notebook's, then we shouldn't be using any minutes, right?
You are using the phone, literally, as a dialup modem to the high-speed 115.2 kbps Verizon network. Since you're dialing their access number (for lack of a better phrase) it's their network you're on. You do use your minutes, but if you've got a big plan and if you have free nights and weekends, this is really no big deal.

BJ
Old 08-12-2004, 08:41 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Nice, I have to give this a try.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:17 PM
Advanced

under control panel I dont have wireless link..
Old 08-13-2004, 04:29 PM
Racer

You're connecting to a GPRS network, it's not actually DIALING like a conventional modem. It shouldn't be using your minutes if you do dial.

For T-Mobile (over the SonyEricsson phones) you can get onto the GPRS network by creating a bluetooth link between your computer and the phone and having it dial *99#

.. same deal.. for T-Mobile users, go ahead and search on google for "T-Mobile Configurator" and have it send the configurations for Internet to your phone.. I've been using this for free for a little over a month now.. works great.. doesn't use my regular minutes..

And for you Verizon users.. it's not just nights and weekends.. it's all the time.. just make sure they don't charge you for data transfers or anything.. because even if it is nighttime or the weekend, they will bill you a seperate charge. I didn't know this when I was on the sprint network.. and i got slapped with a giant bill.. not from using too many minutes.. but because I transferred too much data.. just a word of caution..

Enjoy your V710's.. I'd get one if it would work w/ the Sprint network
Old 08-13-2004, 06:29 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by Scuba629
under control panel I dont have wireless link..
Do you have a Bluetooth notebook? If you do, Wirless Link should be there. If not, you can't take advantage of the internet unless you purchase a USB adapter.

BJ
Old 08-13-2004, 06:33 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by Shinj1EVA

And for you Verizon users.. it's not just nights and weekends.. it's all the time.. just make sure they don't charge you for data transfers or anything
To be clear:

On Verizon's America's Choice plans, there is no extra fee for using the high-speed network and there is no charge per minute BUT you WILL get the minutes deducted from your plan as you surf and you WILL be charged $0.40 per minute if you go over your allocated plan minutes, so use accordingly. Nights and weekends are free and do not charge your minutes.

T-Mobile may have a different plan as this poster points out, but for Verizon, those are the rules. Free, but hits your minutes.

BJ
Old 08-13-2004, 08:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by boltjames
Do you have a Bluetooth notebook? If you do, Wirless Link should be there. If not, you can't take advantage of the internet unless you purchase a USB adapter.

BJ

can you post a screen shot of the icon?? I have the motorola bluetooth usb adaptor and a window xp laptop..
Old 08-13-2004, 08:33 PM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey boltjames,

Do you have any experience doing the same thing with a PDA?

I have an HP Ipaq (MS Pocket PC 2003).

I've succeeded in making a connection using the properties you specified in your email. However, when I attempt to dial, it dials "777" as specified, shows a 14.4kps connection on the phone display for around four seconds and then shows "call ended".

Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2004, 08:43 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

can you post a screen shot of the icon?? I have the motorola bluetooth usb adaptor and a window xp laptop..
Okay, then its going to be different to you. Go to the manual for the Moto USB adapter and in there it will tell you how to pair the laptop to the phone via the USB adapter.

If that doesn't help, let me know and I'll try to look it up in the HoFo database.

BJ
Old 08-13-2004, 08:45 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by leeherman
Hey boltjames,

Do you have any experience doing the same thing with a PDA?

I have an HP Ipaq (MS Pocket PC 2003).

I've succeeded in making a connection using the properties you specified in your email. However, when I attempt to dial, it dials "777" as specified, shows a 14.4kps connection on the phone display for around four seconds and then shows "call ended".

Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I don't have experience in setting up a PPC, but I know several guys that do this connection regularly. That said, my opinion is that since it's making a connection and then dropping it immediately you may have mis-typed the "vzw" password and/or mis-typed your telephone number. Check that first.

BJ
Old 08-13-2004, 09:47 PM
Advanced

Okay, then its going to be different to you. Go to the manual for the Moto USB adapter and in there it will tell you how to pair the laptop to the phone via the USB adapter.

If that doesn't help, let me know and I'll try to look it up in the HoFo database.

BJ
Got it working.. Is the 11520 or whatever it is the fastest we can connect to the network..
Old 08-13-2004, 11:31 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Got it working.. Is the 11520 or whatever it is the fastest we can connect to the network..
Yes. That's Verizon's high-speed network's limit at present.

BJ
Old 08-14-2004, 12:31 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
boltjames: this is awesome information. What speed are you connectiing at?

greg
Old 08-14-2004, 08:00 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by gregory28_RENAMED
boltjames: this is awesome information. What speed are you connectiing at?

greg
I connect at the 115.2 kbps speed according to the networking icon that appears in the tray next to the clock. The phone will just display 'packet data' and show these three little pieces of paper as an icon on the main screen.

Now, is 115.2 incredibly fast? Compared to my cable modem, of course not. But compared to the pre-existing Verizon 14.4 and AOL dialup 56k it's a dream! In hotels without Ethernet access and airports without Wi-Fi, I'm all set for decent surfing speed, emails, etc.

BJ
Old 08-14-2004, 09:29 AM
Advanced

BJ
Very interesting information, I am presuming that a BLUETOOTH wireless notebook is different than simply an 811.b wireless ? I have the 811.b wireless card installed in my Toshiba for my home wireless network. Would that be capable of this type connection or are we talking apple and oranges?
Old 08-14-2004, 09:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
My goodness, BJ, what a thread! Please, give more like this. This is great information. Rep points given. Will try this on my Powerbook (setup is with fewer steps, of course. )
Old 08-14-2004, 10:22 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by georgeny
Very interesting information, I am presuming that a BLUETOOTH wireless notebook is different than simply an 811.b wireless ? I have the 811.b wireless card installed in my Toshiba for my home wireless network. Would that be capable of this type connection or are we talking apple and oranges?
Yeah, 802.11b is Wi-Fi.....different technology than Bluetooth. My Sony notebook has both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for this very reason. Wi-Fi is God on Earth......I've been to many hotels in Europe and cafe's in the US that have access and you know how fast/reliable that is. Until Wi-Fi is everywhere, the v710-to-notebook via Bluetooth is the next-best thing.

Many times I'm in airports and can't get a Wi-Fi connection (especially the smaller regional ones) and so I'd plug my T720 into my laptop via a USB cable to get a marginal 14.4 connection. Could access email but really nothing more as webpages were horribly slow. This new Verizon connection solves that.

So....if you find yourself in need of a notebook internet connection where Wi-Fi isn't available, go buy this Moto Bluetooth USB Adapter and you're all set:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

BJ
Old 08-14-2004, 11:00 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does this mean that the V710's "Mobile Web" is free during weekends?
Old 08-14-2004, 11:28 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by ¿GotJazz?
Does this mean that the V710's "Mobile Web" is free during weekends?
Yes and no.

Mobile Web (surfing the web from the WAP browser bundled in the phone itself) costs $4.99 per month ($5.99 if you want the sexy 2.0 browser's features like color photos on the screen and such with 100 text messages per month) plus airtime charged against your minutes.

So, Mobile Web costs five or six bucks a month and as you surf on the phone's screen it hits your minutes EXCEPT on the weekends when its free (no minutes charged on weekends for either calls or web).

BJ
Old 08-14-2004, 11:46 AM
Advanced

Yeah, 802.11b is Wi-Fi.....different technology than Bluetooth. My Sony notebook has both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for this very reason. Wi-Fi is God on Earth......I've been to many hotels in Europe and cafe's in the US that have access and you know how fast/reliable that is. Until Wi-Fi is everywhere, the v710-to-notebook via Bluetooth is the next-best thing.

Many times I'm in airports and can't get a Wi-Fi connection (especially the smaller regional ones) and so I'd plug my T720 into my laptop via a USB cable to get a marginal 14.4 connection. Could access email but really nothing more as webpages were horribly slow. This new Verizon connection solves that.

So....if you find yourself in need of a notebook internet connection where Wi-Fi isn't available, go buy this Moto Bluetooth USB Adapter and you're all set:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

BJ
BoltJames,

I understand, many thanks for the clarification. Not something I need but thought if it was usable I would play. I truly appreciate your posts.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:28 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Step 1: Pairing The Notebook With The v710

1)In Win XP, go to Start>Control Panel>Wireless Link.
2)Launch the wizard.
3)On the v710, go to Menu>Settings>Connection>Bluetooth Link>Setup>Find Me.
4)Quickly hit the Back button.
5)Go up to Handsfree>Look For Devices.
6)Back on the notebook, let the wizard find the Bluetooth connection to the phone.
7)Make sure you do not change the authentication key. Take what the wizard gives you.

Step 2: New DUN Connection

In Win XP...

1)Go to Start>Control Panel>Network Connections>New Connection Wizard
2)Hit Next. Select>Connect to the Internet
3)Select Set Up Connection Manually
4)Select Connect Using Dial-Up Modem
5)Type "Motorola v710 High Speed Connection" in Box
6)For the phone number use "#777"
7)For user name use <your.phone.number@vzw3g.com>
...ex. 5555551212, using the area code and no hypehns
8)For the password use "vzw"
9)Click next
10)Click finish
11)When the connect to box comes up, click on "Properties"
12)Under "Connect Using" make sure "Standard Modem over Bluetooth link" is selected.
13)Click OK
14)Click Dial

BJ
Do you have to do this every time you want to use it? or just once?
Old 08-14-2004, 01:36 PM
Racer

ok i need to clarify a couple things with this whole internet.

If this is indeed GPRS, you are prb getting around 33.6 kbps speeds. The 115.5 kbps speed that you see popped up when you are conected to the network is a little misleading because that is the link speed between your computer and the phone.

I would like to see a speed test maybe at dslreports.com or someplace to confirm that this speed is indeed 115.5 kbps.

I have t-mobile's unlimited GPRS and I usualy get 33.6 kbps.

Now Verizon may be different but im not sure exactly since i did hear that there were certain test areas that acualy were going at pretty fast speeds.

Anywho GPRS is dying, EDGE is on the horizon, which will offer true 384/128 speeds, but will require the new bt high speed spec.

--edit--

Also you may not have GPRS everywhere. When driving cross country I would be under a tmobile tower with full GSM, but no GPRS signal, so its limited to that.

Verizon is not the only place that does it thought. I have had it working on all my SE phones with Tmobile, and my friends have it on their cingular.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:54 PM
Advanced

just went and did a speed test.. I ran it three times for each..

Download: 72.0, 95.0, 69.0 Kilobits/second
Upload: 17.0, 26.0, 21.0 Kilobits/second

The download was pretty fast, but as you can see my upload sucked. All these test were in my room with less than perfect signal.. I had like 1 or 2 bars.. If I was to go outside I am sure they would be better. Just wanted to post what I had. Anyone else have better or different results??
Old 08-14-2004, 04:30 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by milt
Do you have to do this every time you want to use it? or just once?
Just once. This configures the notebook to the phone. From that point forward, you just click an icon on the desktop and the rest is automatic.

BJ
Old 08-14-2004, 04:46 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

just went and did a speed test.. I ran it three times for each..

Download: 72.0, 95.0, 69.0 Kilobits/second
Upload: 17.0, 26.0, 21.0 Kilobits/second

The download was pretty fast, but as you can see my upload sucked. All these test were in my room with less than perfect signal.. I had like 1 or 2 bars.. If I was to go outside I am sure they would be better. Just wanted to post what I had. Anyone else have better or different results??
Neogeek/Scuba:

My results on CNET's bandwidth connection test (did 3 seperate tests):

82.9 kbps
75.8 kbps
88.0 kbps

http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html

Not the 115.2 kbps as advertised but better than 56k which is pretty good. I'm at home in a rural area....will test in NYC and Vegas shortly....assuming they've got a bigger opportunity to get a faster speed.

BJ
Old 08-14-2004, 10:44 PM
4th Gear

thanks

followed directions... worked like a charm... I am a bit taken aback... I couldn't get a decent signal before at my house... now I get good signal and can access the internet via the cellphone... unbelievable.. thanks for instructions!

Will this work on highways and everywhere there is a decent signal or just in major cities, airports, etc.?
Old 08-14-2004, 10:50 PM
Racer

well i think it is there as long as you have express coverage. I remember awhile back when they were just in the testing faze and it was only in a couple major cities, but from the looks of it they must have opened it up on all their towers like with most of the tmobile towers

for tmbobile as long as you have a GPRS conection, you have internet. I was driving on my way to vegas and was browsing the web

Now my question to the verizon users is, is it completly unrestricted? can you log into hotmail or VNC?
Old 08-14-2004, 11:40 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by Neogeek

Now my question to the verizon users is, is it completly unrestricted? can you log into hotmail or VNC?
No restrictions.....I can log onto any site I've tried to. Outlook Express won't work, but I forward my OE mail to my AOL address so no need to worry there.

BJ
Old 08-14-2004, 11:45 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by sbriannunn

Will this work on highways and everywhere there is a decent signal or just in major cities, airports, etc.?
Trying to find a more current map, but as of a year ago, the areas in red are where the 1X network would be available (this would of course include roads, airports, etc):

BJ
Old 08-15-2004, 10:55 AM
Instructor

What if I am on the local digital plan?? do i get charged extra for data?
Old 08-15-2004, 01:19 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by moahdib
What if I am on the local digital plan?? do i get charged extra for data?
I don't think so. Just call 611 from your phone and ask a customer service rep. None of what we're discussing is some secret or some illegal hack.....it's all on the up and up. Just ask, they'll tell you.

BJ
Old 08-15-2004, 08:03 PM
Instructor

I can't seem to get it to work with my belking bluetooth usb adapter. =(

POS i tell ya...it goes as far as the phone start Calling but there is no number or anything and it just hangs there forever....

what bluetooth usb adapters are you guys using??
Old 08-15-2004, 08:24 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

I can't seem to get it to work with my belking bluetooth usb adapter. =(

POS i tell ya...it goes as far as the phone start Calling but there is no number or anything and it just hangs there forever....

what bluetooth usb adapters are you guys using??
I don't think its an adapter problem as if I read you correctly, the notebook is telling the v710 to dial and is waiting for a internet connection. As such, I think the issue is that your service might not have been upgraded to the 1X protocol when you upgraded your phone to the v710.

Call Verizon and ensure that your service has been modified on their system and that they know you have a high-speed picture phone. Once they know that, they'll enable picture messaging and video messaging- both services that require a lot of bandwidth- and the 1X connectivity that is a prerequsite.

BJ
Old 08-16-2004, 01:02 PM
Cruisin'

I had read about this before and was told to call VZW customer service to "activate" the free service. I called them and was told that you could NOT get the express network for free (ie. using only your minutes). I've been curious about trying to connect anyway, but I'm afraid of racking up a huge bill if its in deed not "free". Anyone else had this problem?
Old 08-17-2004, 02:04 AM
Instructor

I don't think its an adapter problem as if I read you correctly, the notebook is telling the v710 to dial and is waiting for a internet connection. As such, I think the issue is that your service might not have been upgraded to the 1X protocol when you upgraded your phone to the v710.

Call Verizon and ensure that your service has been modified on their system and that they know you have a high-speed picture phone. Once they know that, they'll enable picture messaging and video messaging- both services that require a lot of bandwidth- and the 1X connectivity that is a prerequsite.

BJ
I do have 1X connectivity as it shows up on my phone display. I have tried with 2 different PC's with the same results =\

what USB adapter are you guys using to make this work?
Old 08-17-2004, 07:50 PM
Instructor

To be clear:

On Verizon's America's Choice plans, there is no extra fee for using the high-speed network and there is no charge per minute BUT you WILL get the minutes deducted from your plan as you surf and you WILL be charged $0.40 per minute if you go over your allocated plan minutes, so use accordingly. Nights and weekends are free and do not charge your minutes.

T-Mobile may have a different plan as this poster points out, but for Verizon, those are the rules. Free, but hits your minutes.

BJ
So you know for sure it won't work on the Local Choice plan?
Old 08-19-2004, 09:28 AM
Instructor

I talked to a rep and he told me I can use it but connection is only 14.4kbps. No charge for data, only minutes used.
This would be perfect for things like instant messaging and checking real time traffic, weather, etc...
Old 08-19-2004, 11:47 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

I talked to a rep and he told me I can use it but connection is only 14.4kbps. No charge for data, only minutes used.
This would be perfect for things like instant messaging and checking real time traffic, weather, etc...
Greetings! I am at the Mohegan Sun casino hotel and am currently connected via my v710 and Bluetooth over the America's Choice National Plan at 115.2 kbps. Unless you're in a funky plan, you should be able to connect at that speed too

BJ

Quick Reply: Get HIGH SPEED Internet Access Via BLUETOOTH and v710 Right NOW!