Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Does Anyone Have Any Experience With A Cell Phone Signal Booster

Old 01-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Does Anyone Have Any Experience With A Cell Phone Signal Booster

I KNOW MANY THINGS, BUT CELL PHONES ARE NOT MY FORTAY...I NEED A WAY TO BOOST MY SIGNAL WHEN I AM TRAVELING IN NORTH EAST TEXAS WHERE THERE ARE FEWER TOWERS...IDEAS...SUGGESTIONS...OR SHOULD I JUST KISS MY SIGNAL GOODBYE OUT THERE....
Old 01-14-2007, 08:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I've used those signal booster stickers in my phone in the past, and it did nothing.

when i got my blackberry, i folded up a piece of aluminum foil and stuck it in the battery compartment (a trick someone told me about at another forum). It supposedly does the same thing as those booster stickers. After doing so, I actually got 1-2 more bars on a consistent basis. Does it make a difference? I can't tell since I"m not in "fringe" areas often enough. Call quality is about the same also.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:53 PM

Ok...i Will Try It...sure Cant Hurt...i Will Let Ya Know If It Helps...im Sure Ill Be Out There Later This Week...thanks Deeno
Old 01-15-2007, 12:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
My brother has some sort of booster for his laptop wireless card and his cell phone. I'll have to ask what on earth he did.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:29 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
those stickers you guys are talking about do absolutely nothing... we used to sell them... they are just stickers that LOOK like they do something... if improving sigal on a cell phone was as simple as sticking a thin piece of metal behind the phone, the cell phone manufacturers would have done that already... to all those who say they notice little improvements... it's all in your head....
Old 01-15-2007, 06:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by bimmer88
those stickers you guys are talking about do absolutely nothing... we used to sell them... they are just stickers that LOOK like they do something... if improving sigal on a cell phone was as simple as sticking a thin piece of metal behind the phone, the cell phone manufacturers would have done that already... to all those who say they notice little improvements... it's all in your head....
Did you even read my post?

it's not "all in your head" when it's on the FREAKIN' DISPLAY.

i have a 1-2 bar increase with the piece of aluminum. I can't say whether the call quality is better or even if the reception is better in fringe areas, but it definitely shows 1-2 more bars with that piece of aluminum in the battery compartment than without...so it DOES DO SOMETHING.

I can't say it will have the same effect on other phones or not either. But don't dismiss something as "all in your head" when it shows an effect on someone else's phone.

it's like why people drop in a cold air intake or putting a different exhaust in their cars for a little gain in HP. it's example of something 'simple' that the manufacturer DIDN'T do. Who's to say that one phone type benefits from something more than another phone, just as putting an intake or exhaust in one car benefits one type of car more than another?

Last edited by mrdeeno; 01-15-2007 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Racer

^i have to agree with bimmer. i might not know a lot about cars and tuning and such (which is why im on this forum) but i know cell phones and those stickers DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. you need to chill out. i think youre just being shortsighted.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jsong83
^i have to agree with bimmer. i might not know a lot about cars and tuning and such (which is why im on this forum) but i know cell phones and those stickers DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. you need to chill out. i think youre just being shortsighted.

uh, how am i being shortsighted? I have used those stickers before in the past and it did nothing in my previous phone. I have not used the sticker in my current phone, but I have done the aluminum foil trick, and it DOES do something.

In my office building, i have full bars and EDGE network with the aluminum piece in. When I take it out, I will still have EDGE but will lose 1-2 bars. And this is consistent with the aluminum in and with it out.

When I am at home, I have 2-3 bars and EDGE. when I take the aluminum piece out, I have 2-3 bars GPRS. And this is consistent.

I was skeptical at first when i heard bout this, but when I tried it, i did see a difference and it is on the screen and it the effect is consistent with the piece of aluminum in or not. I have even doubted it and took it out for awhile to see if it was "in my head" or not. But low and behold, it was not "in my head".

So please tell me how it is "in my head" or how i'm being "shortsighted" when I actually have seen a difference with the reception signal on the phone? I have seen the effects on my phone.

Did i say it will definitely work for DarksithCL? No. I said it only showed better reception on MY phone. Did i say it improves call quality or reception? No, i said it only "showed" better reception on my phone, but as for call quality or reception strength, i have no idea if it's better or not.

Just because it may or may not work with your model or brand of phone in your area does not mean it may or may not work with another model or brand in another area. YOU are the one being "shortsighted".

Last edited by mrdeeno; 01-15-2007 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:35 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
Did you even read my post?

it's not "all in your head" when it's on the FREAKIN' DISPLAY.

i have a 1-2 bar increase with the piece of aluminum. I can't say whether the call quality is better or even if the reception is better in fringe areas, but it definitely shows 1-2 more bars with that piece of aluminum in the battery compartment than without...so it DOES DO SOMETHING.

I can't say it will have the same effect on other phones or not either. But don't dismiss something as "all in your head" when it shows an effect on someone else's phone.

it's like why people drop in a cold air intake or putting a different exhaust in their cars for a little gain in HP. it's example of something 'simple' that the manufacturer DIDN'T do. Who's to say that one phone type benefits from something more than another phone, just as putting an intake or exhaust in one car benefits one type of car more than another?
whoa... calm down buddy... the cellular signal indicator on a cell phone goes up and down randomly 1-2 bars all the time... like i said... most likely it's all in your head... if a strip of aluminum foil is all it takes to improve reception on your cell phone, the manufacturers would have built that in already... if you ever open up a cell phone, you'll see there already is a piece of metal similar to a piece of foil but thicker(it's the antenna)... however, this piece of metal is attached to circuitry in the phone... simply putting a piece of foil behind your phone with no contact of any sort to the actual antenna will do you no good... i used to know the guy who supplied us with the stickers.... he made them himself.... they were just sheets of sticker with a pattern printed onto it... we paid almost nothing for them.... sold for 20 bucks a pop.... u'd be surprised how many people came back claiming that it did miracles for them.... saying that where they'd have no reception before, they'd be getting a full signal.... now keep in mind these things were just stickers with ink on them... of course there were the few people who realized that it did absolutely nothing... in those cases, we just refunded money back to the customers...

Last edited by bimmer88; 01-15-2007 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Pro

here's some reading for you... just a quick google... google yourself if you'd like and you'll find a ton of other webpages saying the same thing... these people tested the results of antenna boosters and aluminum foil

http://www.andybrain.com/extras/cell...test.htm#intro

the antenna booster works about as good as the tornado fuel saver....

Last edited by bimmer88; 01-15-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:04 PM

Wow...i Had No Idea There Would Be Any Controversy Abut This Subject...but Thanks For All The Info...
Old 01-15-2007, 08:07 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
My brother has some sort of booster for his laptop wireless card and his cell phone. I'll have to ask what on earth he did.
JUST LET ME KNOW...THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS OUT THERE THAT PEOPLE WHO TRAVEL ALOT OR KNOW THE RIGHT PEOPLE HAVE ACCESS TO THAT I JUST DON'T...I LIVE IN A SMALL WORLD FOR NOW