Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Best wireless headphones?

Old 03-15-2010 | 05:41 PM
Race Director

Question Best wireless headphones?

Hey gang,

I've been searching and reading sites to find the best sounding wireless headphones to use with my 5.1 sony home theater.

I've looked at the 5.1 gamer headphones but they are mostly made for PCs or gaming systems (xbox, ps3). http://www.psykoaudio.com/index.php/...1-Headset.html

Sennheiser is a popular brand. I'm an audiophile, really really enjoy music and rich sounding bluerays... But I can't any longer enjoy the wrath of my home theater at night..grrrrr.. So this is the alternative.
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/private...es_home_502875

I know that wired is better, but to have a cord stretch throughout the living room would drive me bunkers.

I welcome your suggestions!!! Thanks.
Old 03-15-2010 | 11:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I have the senn RS140, and I'm quite happy with them.
The charging stand is a little finicky, but that's not a big deal to me.

Every now and then, when the signal goes dead (say, if I haven't turned on my PC), it will search for a signal and pick up the downstairs neighbor's cordless phone. (!!!!!!)

You should consider the higher end Senns.
The new KLEER wireless technology is supposed to be quite good.

Personally, if you just want to watch movies at night, then I would watch on the 5.1 anyway. Just turn down the bass!

- Frank
Old 03-16-2010 | 10:32 AM
Race Director

Thanks for the advice! I'm hoping this weekend to go to J&R have a listen to see which I'd like best... I've been turning down the bass and the volume with subtitles on, but watching action movies this way is pretty bad

In regards to picking up neighbors phones with the headphones, I lol at this, could be fun But otherwise, there is no interference?
Old 03-16-2010 | 03:14 PM
Instructor

I have the Sennheiser 140 also and love it... but if I had the extra cash I'd opt for the MX W1 as they are running on 2.4Ghz vs the 900Mhz of my RS 140... less chance of interference. AND the MX W1s are compact ear buds and would be very comfortable to wear if you are laying down - not that the 140s are't comfortable but they are two different styles of headphones.

Either way, Sennheisers are sooo worth it.
Old 03-16-2010 | 03:50 PM
Race Director

I'm about to purchase Sennheisers RS180 , 2.4Ghz, and KLEER technology...

Today I spent learning about closed vs open headphones... This put me in a mental brawl, between RS 170 and RS 180.... I've decided that quality of sound is more important to me than privacy.. RS180 won...

I found a pair for $265 on Amazon, expensive, but what the hell, I'll be using them everyday. Once I'll get it, I'll write about it.
Old 03-16-2010 | 10:49 PM
Instructor

PLEASE DO WRITE ABOUT IT!!!! I look forward to reading your review... Haven't had the chance to try those yet... bet they are awesome!

Congrats!
Old 03-18-2010 | 12:34 AM
Registered TL Lover

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
I'm about to purchase Sennheisers RS180 , 2.4Ghz, and KLEER technology...

Today I spent learning about closed vs open headphones... This put me in a mental brawl, between RS 170 and RS 180.... I've decided that quality of sound is more important to me than privacy.. RS180 won...

I found a pair for $265 on Amazon, expensive, but what the hell, I'll be using them everyday. Once I'll get it, I'll write about it.
a pice of advice about wirless if you have multiple devices using the same freq then they can mess with and effect eact other. such as having a wireless round, cordless phoneand ect all using 2.4 ghz it will effect your interet speed and reception of your phones and audios quality of your headphones...
Old 03-18-2010 | 09:26 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by RJANACONDA
a pice of advice about wirless if you have multiple devices using the same freq then they can mess with and effect eact other. such as having a wireless round, cordless phoneand ect all using 2.4 ghz it will effect your interet speed and reception of your phones and audios quality of your headphones...
My wireless router if anything will be changed to 5Ghz. I'm a techie, I'll figure it out once I'll have it. I'm not running bluetooth technologies either in my house, so that again leaves 2.4Ghz to be free. Land line phone I don't have, but if I ever need to 5.8Ghz and DECT 6.0 will do the trick. I'll see. Hopefully it will work out. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2010 | 10:03 AM
Race Director

Alright, here is my little review of the RS180, so far 5 continuous hours of use.

I must say I am impressed. The quality of sound is remarkable for wireless headphones. I've watched some TV, indulged in surround sound shows and of course listened to some music.

Before I actually used the RS180, I had to wait for them to charge, I've listened to the same sources via regular home theater, and then through sony closed-headphones. I wanted to hear the difference between my usual and the RS180.

The batteries charged in 8 hours. The sound quality simply blew me away, very crisp and precise. The range is amazing, I've walked around my house without any loss of quality. The open-design provides a luxurious surround sound feel, unlike closed headphones where the sound is more in your head than around it. The new feature Automatic Leveling that RS180 employs when watching TV, makes the speech seems to work just like the center channel on your home theater, which is awesome!

Pros:
1 - Wireless CD quality without ANY interference even with my 2.4Ghz existing sources.
2 - Very comfortable, you barely feel them on. I wore them for 5 hours and it was great. I personally hate any constriction, in headphones especially. I only do earbuds.
3 - Simple yet ingenious transmitter design which has allowed me to route all of my listening sources though the transmitter and back to my home theater system, so I can easily enjoy sound from any source without ever switching anything.

Cons:
1 - The bass provides a rich range yet lacks the thump I'm use to, which for most won't be a bad thing as you won't get tired from the headphones. From my closed headphones the thump gives me a headache after like 30 mins.
2 - The volume controls are annoying to locate, but I guess time will tell. I'm still regulating volume via the source, not the headphones.
3 - After 5 mins of idling, the transmitter shuts off...Must press the power button to start it up again, not that I'm lazy, but if I pick up the headphones from the transmitter or press power button on the headphones, they should work.

Well I'll try to chime in more in the future to see how my experience has changed.
Overall, one of the best headphones I've heard; definitely the best wireless I ever heard.

Last edited by TeknoKing; 03-19-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-07-2010 | 11:02 AM
Moderator Alumnus

My RS140 headset flaked out on me for some reason so I decided to upgrade and get the RS180s.

Some comparisons:
1) Sound quality is quite a bit better. I'd been interested in Kleer since it first came out, and it does live up to its hype.
2) Rather than two batteries in one ear, it's one battery in each ear.
That's mildly annoying, since you have to take both earcups off to switch batteries.
(though in theory you don't have to do that much)
3) The headset controls are STUPID.
There are 5 buttons on the right earcup: volumne up, power, volume down, balance left, balance right.
They are in a column, and almost gapless between them.
Sometimes I try to volumn down and hit balance left, and
sometimes I try to hit volume, and I hit the stupid power button! @#($&@#

On the RS140, the power button was on the OTHER ear, and the volume was a wheel! It was much easier to use! Who designs this stuff?

4) The bass is a lot stronger than the RS140.
5) The pass through is cool. The headphones have line in (1/8 jack), and line out (red/white), so you can 'kind of' just stick it between two other components.

Anyway buttons aside (and I'll get used to them I guess), I'm pretty happy with them.

- Frank
Old 07-07-2010 | 12:25 PM
I got the Shifts

best wireless headphones are the wired kind
Old 07-07-2010 | 12:27 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Originally Posted by phee
best wireless headphones are the wired kind