Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Apple: iPhone News and Discussion Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:42 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,114 Likes on 6,105 Posts
iphone firmware 2.0.1 is out! I'm downloading as we speak. I hear it doesn't get rid of netshare so that's good.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i made the switch this weekend. I'm paying double for less minutes (had sero) and dont care. ATT's customer service is WORLDS better. Gah, and the iPhone is heaven.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:47 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
just picked mine up last night. This phone so far completely exceeds my expectations!!!!

I've never had a "cool" cell phone, or anything of the like. Been using a motorola slvr for 3 years now, and it was never anything other then a phone!

This thing is AMAZING
Old 08-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Keeping emos out of

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Screw you guys and your hi techie cell phone I'm still rolling old school style
Old 08-06-2008, 03:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Zach Morris phone FTW!
Old 08-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by CLpower
just picked mine up last night. This phone so far completely exceeds my expectations!!!!

I've never had a "cool" cell phone, or anything of the like. Been using a motorola slvr for 3 years now, and it was never anything other then a phone!

This thing is AMAZING
Did you order it or did you just walk into the store and they had it in stock?
Old 08-06-2008, 08:09 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by 2001AudiS4
Most of the So Cal stores get stock daily.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Most of the So Cal stores get stock daily.
Really? Damn. I've been wanting to get one since I have been using my olddddddddddddd nokia flip phone since my HTC died. Just can't find them in the stores around here.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:22 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
apple stores get them daily and AT&T is doing preorder direct fulfillment
Old 08-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had to order mine at the local AT&T store. Took 10 days to get it, I picked it up Monday and so far so good. I likey.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I traded in my BB 8320 for an iphone 3G 3 weeks ago...the apple stores around me actually got a good supply of them daily and haven't been running out every day anymore.

Honestly, coming from a BB, I am not very impressed with the iphone. It's cool, has a good browser, has a cool UI, but for messages, emails, customizability and downright efficiency, the BB beats this thing hands down. And whoever said that RIM is going down since the iPhone has push email and supports Exchange now, please hand me some of what he's smoking. This phone has a LONG WAY to go before being a corporate monster like my BB was. There's a lot more to being corporate friendly than just having OTA sync/push or exchange support or having a tactile keyboard. All the small things that the BB did that the iphone does not makes a huge difference...I had my BB set up so all messages (all email accounts, SMS, MMS, etc.) were available in the same Messages folder (and each mail account, SMS, or MMS were set for different alert tones so I know what came from what). When I recieved an alert and pulled the phone out of the magnet equipped case (phone has a magnet sensor), the new event (message, email or whatever) popped up immediately without touching any buttons. With the iphone, when I receive a message alert, I have to unlock the phone, select mail, select the account, then select the message.

And don't get me started on syncing calendar and contacts...it just does not want to do it simply with mobile me since it doesn't support proxy servers yet. I have to sync my work laptop calendar to google, then sync my google calendar to my personal laptop. then sync my personal laptop calendar to mobile me, then mobile me to my iphone.

I already sold my BB, so I"m stuck with this iPHone for awhile, and hopefully i get used to it (after 3 weeks, I'm slowly bitching less and less about it, but the volume bug and lack of 3G signal in a 3G swamped area is pissing me off daily). Once the Bold comes out, I will seriously consider purchasing one at full price if I don't warm up to the iphone.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:11 AM
Suzuka Master

And i have been hearing different results with the volume bug...can people with the 2G phone chime in (because from what i found, 3 people at work with the 2G phone have the bug, 1 does not, all are on the 2.0.1 software).

Try this...play some music over the speaker of the iphone at midlevel. Stop and close app. Go to options >> sounds and set ringer volume to max. Go back to music player and play music. When I go back to the options >> sounds, the ringer volume has reset itself to the same level as where I had the music player set.

It also does the same with the call volume...I don't use the phone at max volume, so every time I finish a call, the ringer volume has been reset to where the phone volume was. If i don't remember to reset the ringer volume, i end up missing calls because the ringer volume reset to a much lower level.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:44 AM
The hair says it all

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
push google calendar ftw:

http://www.nuevasync.com/
Old 08-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Python2121
push google calendar ftw:

http://www.nuevasync.com/
I know I ran across this when I was trying to find solutions to the syncing problems...but the servers were down then (around 2 weeks ago).

But I just set it up (already created an account 2 weeks ago but couldn't get anything to work), and it works!

Thanks!

Now if I can only find a way to sync my outlook contacts with my google contacts, that would be key.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:04 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA

I had to order, I was told 21 day wait, came in in about 10. While most stores get shipments daily, every ATT store i've been to is getting pre-ordered phones in. Apple stores are getting shipments, but many are still selling out quickly (lines still outside before store opening).
Old 08-08-2008, 02:33 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Got my iPhone today! Bought it from an apple retail store.

But.. what a friggin nightmare. You have to be on the account and have the primary social to buy a phone in the apple store.. sorta.

Called AT&T this morning, added myself as an authorized user to the account, verified that I CAN goto an apple store and buy one. She said yes absolutely you're on the account.

Goto Apple, the lady says.. nope.. you're not the primary. I explained to her I talked to AT&T, and that they said I could, and i'm on the account. She said sorry they cannot do it; so I called AT&T, talked to a rep, who again said.. yes, you can. She asked to talk to one of the Apple reps so tell him yes, I can buy one - and he said, no he cannot. The primary account owner has to sign the 2 yr agreement, so I would be forging a signature.

Such crap! had to get back in line and wait for meh other half to meet me there and say hi. im me. ok bye.. =/ oh well.. i got one.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:13 PM
The Third Ball

My parents got theirs last week...and basically what my father said is that the communication between at&t and apple is basically non-existant and neither are on the same page. And its causing the activations to take FOREVER.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
My parents got theirs last week...and basically what my father said is that the communication between at&t and apple is basically non-existant and neither are on the same page. And its causing the activations to take FOREVER.
yep it sure is non-existent. I bought a 1st gen Iphone but didn't like it, so I took it back two days later. It then took the morons at AT&T forever to cancel my contract. I was told one thing by apple and a completely different thing by AT&T.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:12 AM
Im No Superman

Originally Posted by fleshy
Got my iPhone today! Bought it from an apple retail store.

But.. what a friggin nightmare. You have to be on the account and have the primary social to buy a phone in the apple store.. sorta.

Called AT&T this morning, added myself as an authorized user to the account, verified that I CAN goto an apple store and buy one. She said yes absolutely you're on the account.

Goto Apple, the lady says.. nope.. you're not the primary. I explained to her I talked to AT&T, and that they said I could, and i'm on the account. She said sorry they cannot do it; so I called AT&T, talked to a rep, who again said.. yes, you can. She asked to talk to one of the Apple reps so tell him yes, I can buy one - and he said, no he cannot. The primary account owner has to sign the 2 yr agreement, so I would be forging a signature.

Such crap! had to get back in line and wait for meh other half to meet me there and say hi. im me. ok bye.. =/ oh well.. i got one.
authorized user on a family plan? what plan did you have before? I am on my mom's family plan and am eligable for an upgrade but I want my own individual plan and expect problems tomorrow @ the ATT store trying to sort it all out and still keep my number
Old 08-12-2008, 11:27 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I bit the bullet. I still have my Sprint, but i lowered my plan to the cheapest sero. My sister-in-law's boyfriend works at att and got me a 16 gig and my unlimited everything plan is 105 a month. 5 bucs more than sprint, but i get the iphone. I love corporate discounts.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:44 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by h2o-pr00f
authorized user on a family plan? what plan did you have before? I am on my mom's family plan and am eligable for an upgrade but I want my own individual plan and expect problems tomorrow @ the ATT store trying to sort it all out and still keep my number

go to the ATT store, not Apple. I'm on a family plan, am authorized user...but knew going to apple would be a headache
Old 08-13-2008, 01:06 AM
Im No Superman

I actually went in on Sat, took 10min to take my number and make my own individual account and I was out the door.. Waiting to be notified of when it ships. They said about a week to week 1/2 @ this store is avg wait..
Old 08-15-2008, 01:53 AM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
After getting a Blackberry I couldn't imagine owning that iphone turd.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:33 AM
Race Director

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
here is a good article on problems facing the iPhone (touch) development

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...=NLT_AM&nlid=1

Opinion: Nine reasons the iPhone apps platform is lacking for developers
By Larry BorsatoComments4Recommended1ShareDiggSlashdotEmail

August 14, 2008 (Industry Standard) I decided a while ago to jump into the mobile development world -- creating applications for the iPhone. Apple has done a good job with the iPhone SDK, covering much of what developers need, and I've found it easy to develop applications. But there are still some problems with the platform -- nine of them, to be exact.

Apple typically likes to keep control of its products, and the iPhone is no exception. Primarily as a result of that control, there are nine issues I've encountered in developing iPhone applications:

1. Apple decides who gets to develop applications. Though anyone can download the SDK, there is a $99 fee just to apply to become a registered developer, and you may not be approved. Apple alone decides who is in or out.

2. There are nondisclosure concerns. The SDK download agreement, which must be accepted in order to continue, places substantial limits on what may be shared. This seems to be limiting the ability to create such things as sample code, video instruction or how-to books about developing applications for the iPhone.

3. Unless you are a registered developer, there is no approved way to test your own applications on your own iPhone or iPod Touch. Apple has provided a very good simulator, but that is no substitute for the real thing.

4. Apple owns and controls the sole distribution mechanism for iPhone applications -- the iTunes App Store. There have been problems getting applications reviewed and on the store. And Apple has already removed previously approved applications with no warning.

5. Apple collects 30% of the revenue from your application for the privilege of allowing your application to be distributed through the App Store. Can you imagine the uproar if Microsoft or Nokia took 30% of every application you created?

6. Apple controls -- and limits -- what kinds of applications are allowed to be distributed. For example, it specifically prohibits real-time route guidance GPS applications. The company even has the ability to remotely disable an application that you have already installed and are using on your iPhone.

7. The iPhone runs only one application at a time. Applications do not run in the background. When you start a new application, the first one is shut down, and you need to ensure that your application handles that gracefully -- and quickly.

8. Development of iPhone applications is pretty much limited to Objective C/C++/C, which means that existing mobile applications created in languages such as Java must be rewritten. This means that you can't reuse your existing code base.

9. Since all applications are delivered through the App Store, there is no opportunity for developer-to-user communication, or for things such as beta programs. While this is fine for the type of applications that are currently being developed, this will be completely unacceptable if Apple wants the iPhone to compete in the enterprise market.

The iPhone is still an impressive device, one that is driving much greater use of the mobile Internet and blurring the distinction between your computer and your phone. The applications that we have already seen are just scratching the surface of what is possible.

These concerns certainly won't change that, but in addition to providing the tools, Apple needs to learn to cede some control if it wants to allow the full potential of the iPhone to be realized.

Larry Borsato has been a software developer, marketer, consultant, public speaker and entrepreneur, among other things. For more of his unpredictable yet often entertaining thoughts, you can read his blog at www.larryborsato.com.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Im No Superman

Picked up the phone on thurs from ATT.. pretty happy with the 3g in burbank and some other parts of so cal, but When I am in my home area it is really patchy :/
Old 08-16-2008, 09:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
One of my friends got it - she lives in Flushing, and works in Manhattan. Her 3G signal is weak as hell and she was getting frustrated by constantly getting disconnected. I showed her how to turn off 3G and she wasn't real happy about needing to do that. Hopefully Apple can resolve it via software.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:18 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Firmware 2.0.1 has made it more stable even though I'm still sometimes having the lagging keyboard issue still and I still have to reboot the phone every couple days cause things get crazy. I'm not doing it 1-2 twice a day as I was before but i still have to. I also notice that my apps are more stable across the board making me think that some of those crashes weren't caused by the app when it was running but by the OS itself. As the apps themselves get updated thing should get better.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:33 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Donte99TL
After getting a Blackberry I couldn't imagine owning that iphone turd.
Fantastic, then stay the fuck out of the iphone thread you idiot.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:36 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko
One of my friends got it - she lives in Flushing, and works in Manhattan. Her 3G signal is weak as hell and she was getting frustrated by constantly getting disconnected. I showed her how to turn off 3G and she wasn't real happy about needing to do that. Hopefully Apple can resolve it via software.
If there is no 3G the iphone automatically flips to Edge, if its accessible.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:41 AM
The hair says it all

Datacase is a really sweet program
Old 08-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Suzuka Master

So I went to the apple store today. I got there early, there were no customers there. They said I had to see if i was eligible for an upgrade and to call AT&T. I knew I was not. Anyway, they of course said I wasn't and that I would have to pay full price for the phone. I asked the AT&T agent on the phone, what if I extend my contract 2 years, do i still have to pay full price, and she said yes. So there is no way for me to get an iPhone even though i am already a AT&T customer unless I pay at least $400 while someone who has never been with AT&T gets it for half that price. Bullshit.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:52 AM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
So I went to the apple store today. I got there early, there were no customers there. They said I had to see if i was eligible for an upgrade and to call AT&T. I knew I was not. Anyway, they of course said I wasn't and that I would have to pay full price for the phone. I asked the AT&T agent on the phone, what if I extend my contract 2 years, do i still have to pay full price, and she said yes. So there is no way for me to get an iPhone even though i am already a AT&T customer unless I pay at least $400 while someone who has never been with AT&T gets it for half that price. Bullshit.
what were you expecting? that is the way it is for any subsidized phone. it's a business obviously they want to give people incentives to switch over. you knew you weren't eligible...you should have just asked if they would give it to you for free.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by virus7
what were you expecting? that is the way it is for any subsidized phone. it's a business obviously they want to give people incentives to switch over. you knew you weren't eligible...you should have just asked if they would give it to you for free.

Fuck you. Don't treat me like I am an idiot. I went into the AT&T store and asked if I want to get the phone at $199 pricepoint, can I? They said IF I extend my contract, then i can get it at that price. Since they never have them, I decided to go to the Apple store instead, and they had me call AT&T at which point i was told the opposite of what an AT&T associate already told me.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:31 PM
The Third Ball

firmware 2.0.2 released.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Sanest Florida Man

^downloading now
Old 08-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Sanest Florida Man

was the backup process this slow with firmware 1.0? It's been 40 min and it's only half way done with just the backup process!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 06:59 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
^^^^^^

No.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Ok. yeah I hadn't heard anything about slow backup until 2.0, it's still not done after after an hour but almost.

In regards to 3g reception my dad knows this guy who goes to his church that works for AT&T and he installs the 3g network and what not. My dad is interested in getting one of these phones but decided to hold off cause the 3g network isn't everywhere he needs it to be. But when he spoke to the guy he said that they had rolled out 3g in areas not on AT&T 3g coverage map and it was out of date. Also he said that currently there is a 1900MHz 3g in my area and that he is currently installing 850MHz 3g in my area and that will help with reception. So I hope to see improved 3g reception soon cause currently it sux where I live.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:40 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Did the 2.0.2 upgrade last night, my backup flew in like 5 minutes. I'm now getting "more bars in more places" for 3G, and my 3g internet connection is way way faster and less spotty. Ive been getting a constant 900-1300 kbps download speeds. Its so much better now. Plus, the quickpwn jailbrake worked with the 2.01 firmware loaded in the program. Also apps and other general interface slowdown is gone. The phone flies now.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
If there is no 3G the iphone automatically flips to Edge, if its accessible.
The thing is, there is 3G, it's just a weak signal. I think the iphone needs an option for a quicker cutover, where if the signal is too weak to sustain a phone call, it uses 2G instead.

- Frank

Quick Reply: Apple: iPhone News and Discussion Thread