AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Technology (https://acurazine.com/forums/technology-16/)
-   -   Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread (https://acurazine.com/forums/technology-16/android-phone-news-discussion-thread-775979/)

Doom878 02-14-2011 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04 (Post 12708317)
What's wrong with the Atrix 4G? Minus the dock price. Specs look pretty excellent and ATT seems to be pushing for Android this year since they lost the iPhone exclusivity. The Galaxy S2 is looking pretty nice as well. Just sucks that Samsung is the one making it. Although they did deliver on Froyo in the international realm like they said they would and supposedly Gingerbread is being tested at the moment for the current Galaxy S line.

Because knowing Android, it will be old hat by the time June/July rolls around.

GIBSON6594 02-14-2011 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Doom878 (Post 12708399)
Because it's on AT&T.

Fixed

sho_nuff1997 02-14-2011 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04 (Post 12708347)
Also, for the many people who have been waiting for it, Words With Friends is now in the market:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.zynga.words

:woot:

Mizouse 02-14-2011 04:37 PM

Wait you guys dont have Netflix on android???!??

Apparently it's coming to android devices w/ a snapdragon processor.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/14/q...ure-android-d/

CGFebTSX04 02-14-2011 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Doom878 (Post 12708399)
Because knowing Android, it will be old hat by the time June/July rolls around.

It still has specs that'll last for a while even if new Android phones come out. That qHD display alone makes me interested in it as most Android phones won't have that. Engadget just reviewed it and surprisingly gave it a 9.

http://www.engadget.com/motorola/atrix-4g-review/

The only thing holding me back from purchasing the Atrix is the uncertainty of the bootloader being locked down and I'm actually enjoying my Galaxy S at the moment so I don't have a reason to upgrade yet.

CGFebTSX04 02-14-2011 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mizouse (Post 12709058)
Wait you guys dont have Netflix on android???!??

Apparently it's coming to android devices w/ a snapdragon processor.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/14/q...ure-android-d/

Nope, Netflix isn't out yet because Android is TOO open. lol. There's too many ways to pirate the streams according to Netflix. lol. I guess they just figured out a way to stream their content with security using Snapdragon processors now. I'm just hoping it'll be cracked just like the other phones so it won't have to depend on the Processors its running. hehe.

Mizouse 02-14-2011 09:00 PM

:tomato:

Mizouse 02-15-2011 02:08 AM

geez i just read that review for the Atrix, looks like i would wait off for the 2nd generation or something.

pretty disappointing as the main thing that interested me in the phone was the accessories.

ParaSurfer1979 02-15-2011 11:57 AM

Sprint Announces Kyocera Echo

Posted on Wednesday February, 9 2011 by mindfrost82 | 5 Comments
http://www.ppcgeeks.com/wp-content/u...ho-kyocera.jpg
I know we're a little behind the ball on this one since it was announced on Monday, but better late than never right? The Kyocera Echo is the first dual-touchscreen Android phone on the Market. This phone will be available in Spring 2011 and will run Android 2.2 (Froyo) with a 1GHz Snapdragon processor. Why no Gingerbread though? It has two 3.5" WVGA screens. Its 4.53" long, 2.23" wide, and 0.68" thick. There's also no front-facing camera, only a rear-facing 5MP camera. It will also come with an 8Gb microSD card, expandable up to 32Gb.
Depending on that hinge’s angle, those screens can perform multiple functions. Slide one over the other, the Echo looks and feels like a somewhat thicker single-screen smartphone. Slid flat and side-by-side, the smartphone offers a 4.7-inch screen (broken by the hinge) for displaying movies and other media (each screen offers 800x480 resolution). One screen tilted at an angle to the other allows for typing on a virtual keyboard, on one screen, while viewing, say, e-mail or Facebook on the other.
It appears that the price point will be $199 on a two-year contract after a $100 mail-in rebate.

Flipster23 02-15-2011 12:43 PM

looking into ditching my BB for a android phone...

F-C 02-15-2011 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Flipster23 (Post 12711331)

Me too.

It's a company supported phone, so I need to stick with T-mobile. Which T-mobile Android phone would you guys recommend?

ParaSurfer1979 02-15-2011 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by F-C (Post 12711338)
Me too.

It's a company supported phone, so I need to stick with T-mobile. Which T-mobile Android phone would you guys recommend?

My brother has T-mobile and his wife has mytouch 4g which is a HTC phone. My brother has the Samsung 4in android they offer.

CGFebTSX04 02-15-2011 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by F-C (Post 12711338)
Me too.

MT4G or G2. Vibrant 4G is coming out on the 23rd will have a front facing cam and "4G' support, but otherwise pretty similar to the original Vibrant.

mdkxtreme 02-15-2011 03:20 PM

I do not recommend upgrading to the Vibrant 4G though. Wait for the Galaxy S2 line. That right there is a worthy upgrade that I might even drop money on.

F-C 02-15-2011 03:49 PM

When is the Galaxy S2 coming out?

Also, anyone know if the video chats work between Android and iPhone?

GIBSON6594 02-15-2011 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by F-C (Post 12711796)

Face Time doesn't work with Android. Only other iPhones, on wifi.

F-C 02-15-2011 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594 (Post 12711861)
Face Time doesn't work with Android. Only other iPhones, on wifi.

Bummer. I'm sure there's an app for that. :wish:

CGFebTSX04 02-15-2011 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by F-C (Post 12711796)

Release date not mentioned yet for US. But I believe international release is in May or so.

Lots of video chat options and all can work on Wifi AND 3G.

Yahoo Messenger - (Works with MT4G, and EVO only I believe)
Fring
Tango
Qik
Skype Video will be coming to Verizon soon

CGFebTSX04 02-15-2011 06:24 PM

NVIDIA just announced that they're going to be releasing Quad-Core Android tablets in August of this year and Quad-Core phones by the holidays. That's just insane. All the other companies are barely pushing out their dual core processors and NVIDIA decides to beat them all by releasing Quad cores before some of them even release their dual cores. :what:

Everyone in the industry was aware that NVIDIA was working on a quad-core processor, but I doubt that any expected them to demo their next-generation Tegra at Mobile World Congress. Tonight in front of a small audience of bloggers, NVIDIA showed off the world´s first mobile quad-core CPU and revealed it would arrive in Android devices this August.

Before we dive into the details of the this chip, I wanted to point out how NVIDIA chose to reveal this information to the world. Instead of paper-launching their next-generation CPU and saying it would arrive in 2012 (like Qualcomm and Texas Instruments did just days ago), NVIDIA skipped the press release entirely and delivered a working tablet along with several jaw-dropping software demos.

The Tegra roadmap through 2014.
The presentation started with NVIDIA announcing their Tegra roadmap through 2014. Sticking with earlier statements, NVIDIA will maintain their yearly cadence by release a new Tegra every year.

The Tegra 2 has often been referred to as a super-chip, so NVIDIA went with super-hero names for their upcoming mobile chips. Project Kal-El (assumed to become Tegra 3) will arrive in 2011 and deliver 5x the performance of Tegra 2, followed by Wayne in 2012, Logan in 2013, and Stark in 2014.

As ridiculous as this sounds, Project Stark (Tegra 6?) is expected to deliver 100x the performance of Tegra 2 in just three years from now.

Unbelievable performance
To demonstrate the power of their quad-core CPU, NVIDIA started with an Android tablet decoding 1440p video to an extreme HD monitor (2560 × 1600 panel). It looked simply amazing. We were later told the source video was shot with a Red digital camera and then downscaled to 1440p for the demonstration.

Next we saw a series of game demos that compared the current Tegra 2 with the upcoming Project Kal-El. We were asked not to reveal the details of several games, but we did witness about a 3x performance increase in graphics performance. Advanced games that could barely crack 20 frames per second on Tegra 2 were running at a silky smooth 60 fps on Kal-El.

One game demo we can talk about is History Channel Great Battles: Medieval from War Drums Studios. This game was released for PC, Xbox 360, and PS3 last year and it was currently being ported to Honeycomb tablets. Thomas Williamson, lead developer and CEO, had less than 24 hours to get the demo running on the quad-core Kal-El, but he was able to pull it off since NVIDIA´s new platform uses a similar GeForce GPU architecture.

Next we saw some benchmarks like CoreMark, which showed Kal-El (score of 11,354) out performing Intel´s 2 GHz Core2Duo T7200 (score of 10,136). NVIDIA said this silicon was only 14 days old, so we can only expect that performance will continue to improve as they optimize the platform.

Highlights of Project Kal-El include:

■World´s first mobile quad-core CPU
■New 12-core NVIDIA GPU, with support for 3D stereo
■Extreme HD – 2560 x 1600
■5x Tegra 2
Overall, I was extremely impressed with that NVIDIA showed. I have the whole thing captured on video, but there is no way that will be going up tonight on my hotel´s WiFi connection.

Availability
The most shocking part of the event came when NVIDIA shared the availability for Kal-El. The chips are sampling now and we should see them in tablets by August and smartphones will arrive by Christmas (confirming an earlier prediction of mine).

Michael Rayfield, General Manager of Mobile of NVIDIA´s mobile business unit, hinted at this when we previously spoke with him at CES saying, ”It will be pretty quick. I believe I will have my next generation Tegra in production probably before my competitors have their dual-core in production. And so that talks a lot about velocity.”

NVIDIA´s aggressive release schedule is still shocking because the other semiconductor companies are not expected to have comparable chips until the second half of 2012.

Imagine the possibilities
If you thought the Atrix 4G was an innovative product, just wait till you see what the mobile device manufactures dream up for Kal-El.

I´ll go out on a limb and predict that Google will select Tegra 3 as the lead platform for the next major Android release (Jelly bean?) and slap it in their Nexus 3 this Christmas. Maybe my dream handset with Android, Chrome OS, and Google TV on a single device will actually become a reality.

Reactions
This is such huge breaking news that I am still trying to comprehend how it will change the mobile industry. I´m hitting publish now, but I will continue to update this post throughout the night. We would love to hear what you think in the mean time.
Source: http://androidandme.com/2011/02/news...ces-by-summer/

The iPad 2 and all other tablets will be outdated by August if they really do release these Quad cores. Engadget has a video of the Quad-Core in action so it must mean its pretty much ready to go. They also say its more battery efficient as well.

<object width="437" height="288" id="viddler_ae8a121a"><param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/player/ae8a121a/" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://www.viddler.com/player/ae8a121a/" width="437" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" name="viddler_ae8a121a"></embed></object>

sho_nuff1997 02-15-2011 07:07 PM

I still have a dual core processor in my laptop. :rofl: Err...I mean.... :sad:

CGFebTSX04 02-15-2011 07:23 PM

Another vid on the Quad-Core:

<object height="288" id="viddler_6dbeeef0"><param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/player/6dbeeef0/" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://www.viddler.com/player/6dbeeef0/" width="437" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" name="viddler_6dbeeef0"></embed></object>

Excited about this.

Mizouse 02-15-2011 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04 (Post 12712187)
Release date not mentioned yet for US. But I believe international release is in May or so.

Lots of video chat options and all can work on Wifi AND 3G.

Yahoo Messenger - (Works with MT4G, and EVO only I believe)
Fring
Tango
Qik
Skype Video will be coming to Verizon soon

:nod:

facetime only works with iPhone, iPod and Mac.

but 3rd party video apps should work across platforms, (i think)

DarkSithCL 02-15-2011 09:27 PM

quad core vid looks like you are looking out of an actual window... insane is just not a strong enough word... :crazy:

We dont even have 2 freakin dual core phones out yet and here comes quad? I'm so behind and it hasnt even started... LOL

DarkSithCL 02-15-2011 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Flipster23 (Post 12711331)

who is your provider?

BTW... 8,888 posts is :thumbsup:

eccjak 02-15-2011 10:05 PM

Since I updated to 2.2 on my Captivate the GPS is on when I was fooling around with the camera. Also not able to adjust the exposure before I updated too

CGFebTSX04 02-15-2011 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by eccjak (Post 12712760)
Since I updated to 2.2 on my Captivate the GPS is on when I was fooling around with the camera. Also not able to adjust the exposure before I updated too

GPS is automatically turned on for geotagging in Froyo ROMs for the Galaxy S. You can disable it by turning off GPS. The icon will show up but it won't geotag. I just ignore it now. As far as exposure, I'm not sure. I just use the different scenes they have like Night Mode, etc. Otherwise, I use Camera360 for the effects when I need them. Someone made a patch for AutoFocus in video recording I just tried out now. Not sure if its only for the international version so it won't be of benefit for the other Galaxy S variants unless I'm mistaken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q_JuJmNat8

CGFebTSX04 02-15-2011 10:47 PM

CyanogenMod 7 RC1 is out for the Nexus One, MT4G, and Evo 4G. Still waiting for a stable build for the Galaxy S before I start flashing.

Source: http://www.androidcentral.com/cyanog...-4g-and-evo-4g

eccjak 02-15-2011 11:23 PM

Thanks CGFebTSX04, I've have spent some time on xda and android forums just seeing what people have done to their phones. It never ends to amaze me what you can do with the Android phones.

CGFebTSX04 02-16-2011 12:23 AM

Yeah the people at XDA are amazing. Having a flashing itch at the moment so I'm currently flashing a new custom ROM. Its been two weeks since I flashed one. Haha. Looking forward to a stable MIUI and CM7 for the Galaxy S. Looks like its not too far off.

F-C 02-16-2011 10:16 AM

I'm narrowing down to the white colored myTough 4G. Anyone have a white cell phone? I'm kind of tired carrying around a dark colored cell phone. Does white phones get dirty/scuffed easily?

DarkSithCL 02-16-2011 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by F-C (Post 12713716)
I'm narrowing down to the white colored myTough 4G. Anyone have a white cell phone? I'm kind of tired carrying around a dark colored cell phone. Does white phones get dirty/scuffed easily?

a friend at work has the White EVO and she said it hers hasnt given her any special problems... the only thing she did note, was that the clear protector that she had on the back started to yellow, so she took it off...

ParaSurfer1979 02-16-2011 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL (Post 12713902)
a friend at work has the White EVO and she said it hers hasnt given her any special problems... the only thing she did note, was that the clear protector that she had on the back started to yellow, so she took it off...

I have a rubber case on mine so if it were white, you would know. I got blk. White makes it diminished to a your teen daughters phone. Just not business enough looking to me.

DarkSithCL 02-16-2011 11:37 AM

NSFA Alert!!!

not safe for android...

Huge phones at next click... beware!

http://www.bestbuyon.com/computer-in...m_term=tablets

:rofl:

F-C 02-16-2011 12:41 PM

Gordon Gekko!

civicdrivr 02-16-2011 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979 (Post 12713958)
I have a rubber case on mine so if it were white, you would know. I got blk. White makes it diminished to a your teen daughters phone. Just not business enough looking to me.

Agreed. I had the bronze G1 when it came out and it was understated, then I got the red Slide and it would stand out too much at work, looked like a toy. Im loving the Nexus S though.

F-C 02-16-2011 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL

Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979 (Post 12713958)

Hmmm, is it a stereotype that only girls get white cell phones?

DarkSithCL 02-16-2011 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by F-C (Post 12714239)
Hmmm, is it a stereotype that only girls get white cell phones?

Nope... I know some guys with white phones... one of them has an EVO... he said he liked it b/c it looked "clean"

DarkSithCL 02-16-2011 02:45 PM

rock what you want... who cares? most of us only keep phones for a short time anyway...

sho_nuff1997 02-16-2011 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL (Post 12713994)
NSFA Alert!!!

not safe for android...

Huge phones at next click... beware!

http://www.bestbuyon.com/computer-in...m_term=tablets

:rofl:

LOL! I had the $249 Motorola on slide 10. In fact, it's still in my junk drawer....I break it out once in a while to compare its size to my current phone. The thing is massive!

Flipster23 02-16-2011 04:35 PM

its official as soon as my contract is up in December I'm dropping my blackberry and gettin a droid..

I want angry birds and friends with words damn it!!!

if I could find a nice mint condition droid for verizon I would buy it