AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Technology (https://acurazine.com/forums/technology-16/)
-   -   Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread (https://acurazine.com/forums/technology-16/android-phone-news-discussion-thread-775979/)

civicdrivr 01-28-2011 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by speedemon90 (Post 12667490)
For the android marketplace you can return it within 24 hrs and you get your money back right? Does that go with any app?

Nope.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2010/12...to-15-minutes/

GIBSON6594 01-28-2011 03:45 PM

Ohh and I got ADW launcher and I didnt like it to much. Didnt exactly play around with it much. But I didnt get the same scroll effect I already have, but I was looking and it looks like ADW launcher EX has that scroll like on stock gingerbread. Maybe I'll try it out.

For the android marketplace you can return it within 24 hrs and you get your money back right? Does that go with any app?

It's 15 minutes.

ParaSurfer1979 01-28-2011 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by is300eater (Post 12667460)
I don't know actually... but I've been told to look for Android phones that are "AWS" :dunno: (and I've been told that the "AWS" phones would work with T-Mobile with no problems, but I'm with AT&T in the States)

i dunno. Ask the phone company which US company the phone il work for easiest. Seems simple to me...lol.

CGFebTSX04 01-28-2011 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by is300eater (Post 12667439)
sorry for another noob/dumb question... but if, suppose I pick up an unlocked Android phone up here in Canada (like a Nexus ONE or perhaps Nexus S when it arrives), and when I go back to California, I can just drop the sim card in from the iPhone (AT&T) for it to work, right? Do I need to anything with my account?

As long as the phones are unlocked, then you shouldn't have to do anything other than put in your sim card. Its what I do now with my Bell Galaxy S. Also you can even get the cheaper $15 unlimited data plan if you pick the right phone. :ninja:

I don't know actually... but I've been told to look for Android phones that are "AWS" :dunno: (and I've been told that the "AWS" phones would work with T-Mobile with no problems, but I'm with AT&T in the States)

AWS = T-Mobile 3G meaning 1700 and 2100 frequency bands. Do NOT get an AWS phone if you want 3G on AT&T. You will get EDGE but not 3G under AT&T. On T-Mobile you will get 3G. Voice (GSM) will work perfectly fine though under AT&T or T-Mobile.

CGFebTSX04 01-28-2011 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by nbennettksu (Post 12666396)
So on the EVO, we can't install the honeycomb... is this correct?

Not yet. The best that devs can do right now is build Honeycomb off the SDK. However, the SDK doesn't include the drivers necessary for wifi, bluetooth, gps, 4G, cell data, etc. Hence, its basically a phone running Honeycomb like the emulator and pretty much useless. They would also have to trick the bootup scheme to get it to even boot.

The only way to get Honeycomb working fully is for the devs to port the drivers from another build already running Honeycomb assuming that phone is using the same hardware as the Evo (one benefit of HTC phones is that they use the same parts just in a different form factor). The other way is for HTC to actually release it for the phone and give the source for the devs to modify. The Evo is capable of the upgrade but it'll be up to HTC to decide whether or not they want to release the updates or sell more phones...

CGFebTSX04 01-28-2011 06:12 PM

Ohh and I got ADW launcher and I didnt like it to much. Didnt exactly play around with it much. But I didnt get the same scroll effect I already have, but I was looking and it looks like ADW launcher EX has that scroll like on stock gingerbread. Maybe I'll try it out.

ADW Launcher and ADW Launcher EX are completely different. They're from the same dev but he completely rewrote ADW Launcher EX so its actually faster and has the transition effects you won't get on the regular ADW.

And yes, the return policy is now 15 minutes. If you have the old marketplace, I believe its still 24. hours Once your market updates to the new one, it becomes 15 minutes. You could also just google for the file, you don't even need root to install it...

CGFebTSX04 01-28-2011 07:00 PM

One more note about the AWS T-Mobile 3G vs. ATT 3G so this is clear for anyone else wondering. You want to look at the specs of the phone, particularly, the spec about 3G/UMTS/WCDMA/HSPA. They're used interchangeably but thats what differentiates the phone on whether or not it will use 3G on that cell phone network. This is NOT the same thing as GSM frequencies which is related to 2G/EDGE and voice. Most phones are Quadband in this regards which is the reason why you will almost always get EDGE if your phone doesn't have the right 3G frequencies.

In the US, AT&T and T-Mobile use different 3G/UMTS/WCDMA/HSPA freq which is why the rest of the world laughs at us because the US didn't force them to just use the same freq bands. That's just how it goes I guess. Most phones are TriBand in regards to 3G, either 850/1900/2100 (ATT phones), 900/1700/2100 (AWS T-Mobile phones) or 900/1900/2100 (European/Asian phones). The only US phone that I know that is QuadBand 3G is the Samsung Vibrant (900/1700/1900/2100). As you can see, it can get 3G in certain areas when used with AT&T because it has the 1900 3G band.

Pay attention to 3G/UMTS/WCDMA/HSPA specs of a phone regarding 3G. The following lists the 3G freq band the cell phone companies use:

AT&T/Bell/Rogers: 850 and/or 1900 MHz
(AT&T will work with either one depending on which one your city uses. AT&T doesn't give out that info. You can check out www.cellumap.com if your area has data for it in regards to which freq your city uses. Of course if you want to have it everywhere, you want a phone that has both. As you can see though, if you bought a European phone with the 1900 3G band, you may get 3G in certain cities but not everywhere because its missing the 850 band.)

T-Mobile/Wind: 1700 (Downstream 3G) AND 2100 (Upstream 3G) MHz (T-Mobile requires both to be present)

Europe/Asia/most the rest of the world: 900 and/or 2100 MHz

Read up some more here if you like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_frequency_bands

*Note: The 4G frequency used by Sprint/Verizon also differ from those used in other parts of the world but thats for another post. lol. Luckily, AT&T and T-Mobile use the same frequencies for their so-called "4G" or HSPA+ because they're not really 4G.

Hope this post cleared up some of the confusion.

ParaSurfer1979 01-29-2011 03:39 AM

Is there a way to leave evo on (awake) while on power? Is there any setting where the phone wakes up when it receives text msg? Where can i set-up phone to read my texts messages when they are received? All this stuff i loved on my Windows Phones im accustomed to. This is my 1st Android phone. I'm loving mi EVO 4G so far

nbennettksu 01-29-2011 07:13 AM

ATT and T-Mob use GSM I thought... Sprint and Verizon use CDMA

nbennettksu 01-29-2011 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979 (Post 12668539)
Is there a way to leave evo on (awake) while on power? Is there any setting where the phone wakes up when it receives text msg? Where can i set-up phone to read my texts messages when they are received? All this stuff i loved on my Windows Phones im accustomed to. This is my 1st Android phone. I'm loving mi EVO 4G so far

Not that I've found, I wanted that when I first got it; now I'm used to it not waking up and I'm kind of glad it doesnt... since the battery drains so fast.

CGFebTSX04 01-29-2011 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by nbennettksu (Post 12668595)
ATT and T-Mob use GSM I thought... Sprint and Verizon use CDMA

They do. GSM refers to the voice part of cell phones. AWS (Advanced Wireless System) = 1700 and 2100 3G frequency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Mobil...rade_.28AWS.29

CGFebTSX04 01-29-2011 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979 (Post 12668539)
Is there a way to leave evo on (awake) while on power?

Homescreen --> Menu --> Settings --> Applications --> Development --> Stay Awake

If its not there (as in some forms of Android) you can download an app called KeepScreen from the market:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/keepscre...KeepScreenLite

For those with AMOLED and SAMOLED screens, I don't recommend this option because of the burn-in that might happen.

Is there any setting where the phone wakes up when it receives text msg?
Download any of the 3rd party SMS apps like Handcent or ChompSMS. They're excellent and quite customizable and free.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/handcent...ndcent.nextsms

http://www.appbrain.com/app/chompsms/com.p1.chompsms

Make sure to turn off the notifications of your stock messaging app or else you'll get double notifications:

Open up the Messaging app --> Menu --> Settings --> Uncheck notifications

Where can i set-up phone to read my texts messages when they are received? All this stuff i loved on my Windows Phones im accustomed to. This is my 1st Android phone. I'm loving mi EVO 4G so far
Download Vlingo from the market.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/vlingo-v....vlingo.client

Awesome app that also does voice commands like Google's and more. Also has an InCar mode. Play around with it.

In regards to your question, there is an option called SafeReader in Vlingo. Turn it on in the app. Now any notification will be read out to you on the phone or your bluetooth headset. Works with e-mails, texts, etc.

sho_nuff1997 01-29-2011 02:28 PM

Anybody know the name of the widget on the right screen shot where it says half past six?

http://www.theandroidsoul.com/wp-con...-App_thumb.jpg

CGFebTSX04 01-29-2011 03:19 PM

I think its mClock:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/mclock/com.marooned.mclock

CGFebTSX04 01-29-2011 03:38 PM

mClock is close but not it I guess.

Mizouse 01-29-2011 03:38 PM

thinking of picking up a nook color and rooting it. tell me what i could do with that?

merlinsbeard101 01-29-2011 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997 (Post 12669135)
Anybody know the name of the widget on the right screen shot where it says half past six?

http://www.theandroidsoul.com/wp-con...-App_thumb.jpg

Its called "Tajm". I installed a long time ago but I've never used it yet...

CGFebTSX04 01-29-2011 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mizouse (Post 12669256)
thinking of picking up a nook color and rooting it. tell me what i could do with that?

I'm pretty interested in getting one as well. I haven't been following it too closely but I think the rooting process is not as user friendly as other Android devices yet. They just OCed it to 1.1 GHz recently which makes it fly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VSlrx5psZM

They have been able to install the Android Market on it so you should be able to do everything you can on any other Android device with a rooted Nook while having it act as an eReader at the same time. :thumbsup:

Mizouse 01-29-2011 04:02 PM

yea ive been watching some videos online, for $250 its a pretty decent android tablet.
and its got a sexy IPS display.

GIBSON6594 01-29-2011 05:13 PM

Folks at XDA have already started getting HC builds on the Nook, they are still very dirty, but they are working on it.

sho_nuff1997 01-29-2011 05:37 PM

I think it may be mClock. I am trying to tweak it so it displays like the screeny.

nvm. DLing tajm now. Thanks!

DarkSithCL 01-29-2011 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mizouse (Post 12669256)

One of peeps at work has one... her boyfriend rooted it... she said it is pretty pimp... I have just seen her mostly reading on it... but I was jealous when she broke out Angry Birds on that large, pretty screen the other day!!!!!

sho_nuff1997 01-29-2011 07:29 PM

I decided to do a perm root with visionary's single click. My phone has been on the HTC screen for 20 min. How long do I need to wait or am I already screwed?

sho_nuff1997 01-29-2011 09:45 PM

thought I was screwed for a bit, but then I found this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=912399&page=4

Originally Posted by Hot_Hands (Post 10583834)
Yes he should have read more and I'm positive he's had a hell of a learning experience. At least he's taking initiative to fix it and not sending it off for warranty.

Having said that.

This is a custom PC10IMG.zip built from files available at shipped-roms.com. I have removed the radio.img and replaced the recovery.img with Koush's ClockWorkMod recovery.

It will restore your system to the original 1.12 release. It was also flash the 0.76.2000 engineering hboot as well as 2.5.1.2 Clockwork Recovery, saving you a bit of hassle the next time around.

Put it in the root of your SD card and then go into hboot and select BOOTLOADER.

http://www.mediafire.com/?kcugvobjewkj63a

Copying to SD card now..... :wish:

sho_nuff1997 01-30-2011 12:14 AM

First time bricking a phone for me. Shitty. :mad: Should have done some more research before jumping in. It turns out I fucked up by trying the visionary permroot. The last OTA update had some root blocks added to it. Hopefully I can find a fix for this paperweight soon! I have an old Motorola Cliq XT that I will be using in the meantime. Dang.

CGFebTSX04 01-30-2011 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997 (Post 12669981)
First time bricking a phone for me. Shitty. :mad: Should have done some more research before jumping in. It turns out I fucked up by trying the visionary permroot. The last OTA update had some root blocks added to it. Hopefully I can find a fix for this paperweight soon! I have an old Motorola Cliq XT that I will be using in the meantime. Dang.

That sucks. :( Does it not turn on at all? If you can access HBoot or Recovery you can probably still save it. If you can't access either then its truly bricked.

sho_nuff1997 01-30-2011 12:37 AM

I can get to hboot. I tried flashing the rom from the post above, and it acts like it is loading and then when the status bar completes it just goes right back to hboot instead of giving me other options. Recovery never makes it past the htc screen and factory reset give me a red triangle with an ! in it.

I came across this quote in my searches:

*if you cannot get into shell, and you have stock recovery, s-on, and post OTA, im sorry your pretty screwed. as of right now the only thing thats gonna bring it back is a full img/update signed from htc thats equal to or higher then the version currently on the phone. (well and jtag of course)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=842495

I'll do some more searching tomorrow. This one has got my brain fried.

CGFebTSX04 01-30-2011 12:40 AM

If your HBoot is saying S-ON then it'll be a little bit more difficult like that post says. If you're using an eng-HBoot, you can probably fastboot flash image through ADB. S-OFF will allow you to flash custom recovery files as well. If you probably post your HBoot status on XDA someone can probably help out more.

speedemon90 01-30-2011 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04 (Post 12667796)
ADW Launcher and ADW Launcher EX are completely different. They're from the same dev but he completely rewrote ADW Launcher EX so its actually faster and has the transition effects you won't get on the regular ADW.

And yes, the return policy is now 15 minutes. If you have the old marketplace, I believe its still 24. hours Once your market updates to the new one, it becomes 15 minutes. You could also just google for the file, you don't even need root to install it...

Is there a certain way to google the file? And you can just install it like that?

CGFebTSX04 01-30-2011 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by speedemon90 (Post 12670010)
Is there a certain way to google the file? And you can just install it like that?

Yes and Yes. :whistle: Can't post details because that would probably fall under warez.

sho_nuff1997 01-30-2011 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04 (Post 12670009)
If your HBoot is saying S-ON then it'll be a little bit more difficult like that post says. If you're using an eng-HBoot, you can probably fastboot flash image through ADB. S-OFF will allow you to flash custom recovery files as well. If you probably post your HBoot status on XDA someone can probably help out more.

I posted the hboot screen on xda...just waiting for a reply.

I can't even get to my phone through adb. It just says error: device not found

Mizouse 01-30-2011 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL (Post 12669531)
One of peeps at work has one... her boyfriend rooted it... she said it is pretty pimp... I have just seen her mostly reading on it... but I was jealous when she broke out Angry Birds on that large, pretty screen the other day!!!!!

i messed around with one after dinner at Barnes and noble. while it is nice and im sure will be great once rooted/gets froyo.
but imo its a bit too small for my taste. yes its nice thou because it is lighter but imo i think the 9.7/10.1 inch size of the iPad/Xoom is the sweet spot for tablets.

hopefully when the xoom comes out, ill be able to fiddle with it in some store. probably a verizon store.

GIBSON6594 01-30-2011 08:39 AM

There will be a Honeycomb presentation by Google streamed on Youtube on February 2nd.

speedemon90 01-30-2011 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594 (Post 12670230)
There will be a Honeycomb presentation by Google streamed on Youtube on February 2nd.

Ohh I didnt know they were streaming off of youtube. I just saw the invite that engadget got. Might check it out if I got time, or just look at the wrap up on engadget.

So I played around with ADW launcher ex and I like the home screen things I can do. But the app drawer killed it for me. Even though they had it like stock android with the 4D vertical or whatever you wanna call it, it just wasnt as smooth as stock android. And i'm fine with my home screen, only thing I really see myself missing out on is screen transitions and a few other things which I dont care to much about.

On another note I found a great wallpaper on the xda forums, my first still wallpaper, I've been using live up till now haha.

Here's the link, if you guys want it
http://www.webpulse.us/xda/images/the-road.png

So what music player do you guys use? Do you use the stock one? And is there anyway to bring up a player widget on the lock screen?

CGFebTSX04 01-30-2011 10:05 PM

Live Wallpapers I believe aren't accelerated when using alternate launchers. However, the lag should be minimal unless its a very complex Live Wallpaper. The features I like the most out of the alternate launchers is the resizing of the widgets and allowing a bigger grid instead of the default 4x4 which is a waste on a big screen.

The stock music player should have a widget on the lockscreen when you're playing music. If not, you can install an alternative lockscreen manager like WidgetLocker which allows you to customize every little aspect of the lockscreen by putting widgets onto the lockscreen and changing the lockscreen type:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/widgetlo...w.widgetlocker

DarkSithCL 01-30-2011 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mizouse (Post 12670090)
i messed around with one after dinner at Barnes and noble. while it is nice and im sure will be great once rooted/gets froyo.
but imo its a bit too small for my taste. yes its nice thou because it is lighter but imo i think the 9.7/10.1 inch size of the iPad/Xoom is the sweet spot for tablets.

hopefully when the xoom comes out, ill be able to fiddle with it in some store. probably a verizon store.

I feel ya man... I am kinda wondering about that xoom too vs. a samsung tab... I really want a pad of some sort, but I refuse to be a slave to the apple core... I really need to get to the store and check them both out.... I am going to the Sprint store tomorrow :ninja:

sho_nuff1997 01-30-2011 11:29 PM

Well, I called T-Mo and they are shipping me a replacement phone. :ninja:

There are a couple other things I will try will I wait for the new one to get here.

What a lesson to learn. :blush:

CGFebTSX04 01-31-2011 12:04 AM

^Thats awesome. From what I've read, HTC and T-Mobile take care of their customers. May have to go back HTC in the future.

CGFebTSX04 01-31-2011 12:10 AM

Here's a cool Honeycomb wallpaper I found that I'm using now.

https://img708.imageshack.us/img708/...eycombblue.jpg

speedemon90 01-31-2011 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04 (Post 12671506)
Live Wallpapers I believe aren't accelerated when using alternate launchers. However, the lag should be minimal unless its a very complex Live Wallpaper. The features I like the most out of the alternate launchers is the resizing of the widgets and allowing a bigger grid instead of the default 4x4 which is a waste on a big screen.

The stock music player should have a widget on the lockscreen when you're playing music. If not, you can install an alternative lockscreen manager like WidgetLocker which allows you to customize every little aspect of the lockscreen by putting widgets onto the lockscreen and changing the lockscreen type:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/widgetlo...w.widgetlocker

Ohh its not my live wallpaper thats lagging, its the app drawer.