Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!
View Poll Results: Who's the best current NBA Player?
Kobe Bryant
33.33%
Tim Duncan
1.96%
Allen Iverson
0%
Shawn Marion
0%
Steve Nash
21.57%
Dirk Nowitzki
1.96%
Tracy McGrady
5.88%
Yao Ming
0%
Kevin Garnett
3.92%
Carmelo Anthony
1.96%
Dwyane Wade
13.73%
Shaquille O'Neal
1.96%
LeBron James
3.92%
Chris Bosh
3.92%
Gilbert Arenas
5.88%
Jason Kidd
0%
Other (please post)
0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Who's the BEST NBA Player right now?

Old 02-20-2007 | 11:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Who's the BEST NBA Player right now?

Okay, let's get a debate and poll going.... my vote is for Nash, followed by Kobe as a close second.
Old 02-20-2007 | 11:29 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I know he hasn't won in the playoffs....but that's a team thing.

Nash

/thread.
Old 02-20-2007 | 11:34 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

"best player" is kind of vague.

but in terms of all-around skills, i'd vote kobe.
Old 02-20-2007 | 11:38 AM
Rebourne

Ben Gordon.........
Old 02-20-2007 | 11:38 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
"best player" is kind of vague.

but in terms of all-around skills, i'd vote kobe.

I personally think best has a direct coralation to wins and success of the team. And that includes playoffs.
Old 02-20-2007 | 11:40 AM
03 3.2 TL FPR

D Wade most talent and best all around player. Plus he has proven he can come through in the clutch and to me that is what seperates the good from the great players.
Old 02-20-2007 | 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by dom
I personally think best has a direct coralation to wins and success of the team. And that includes playoffs.
yea, but you can't knock a player for simply having bad teammates. but if that was the criteria, then i'd have to say tim duncan.

but that's why i was saying that "best player" is so vague. there's a difference between most talented and skilled player versus, say, most valuable player to a team's success, etc.
Old 02-20-2007 | 11:45 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by llJrockll
Ben Gordon.........

You serious? I may have to give you negative rep for real this time.
Old 02-20-2007 | 11:46 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

yea, but you can't knock a player for simply having bad teammates. but if that was the criteria, then i'd have to say tim duncan.

but that's why i was saying that "best player" is so vague. there's a difference between most talented and skilled player versus, say, most valuable player to a team's success, etc.
Yup.

Who would you want most if starting a team today, with a need to start winning immediately, not in 3 or 4 years?
Old 02-20-2007 | 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by dom
Yup.

Who would you want most if starting a team today, with a need to start winning immediately, not in 3 or 4 years?
lebron.
Old 02-20-2007 | 12:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Nash.
Old 02-20-2007 | 12:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Ben Gordon.........
Old 02-20-2007 | 12:56 PM
Senior Moderator

I did want to vote for Latrell Sprewell...
Old 02-20-2007 | 01:15 PM
Rebourne

Originally Posted by dom
You serious? I may have to give you negative rep for real this time.
lol....

To me a best player would have to have an all around game. Defense, Offense etc... There's not that many players out there that stand out. Yes Kobe is a great scorer as well as Dwayne Wade. But from what I have seen, their defense is not up to par with their offense. They're are a lot of talented players coming in, in todays game.

It's just hard to say who's the best player out there. IMO, nobody has dominated the game since MJ did, just my . With Pip on the side, it made things easier. Just like back then Kobe/Shaq & Wade/Shaq

I guess out of the bunch I would have to say Steve Nash, but would I rely on him to make a buzzer beater to win championship tittle?

Ben Gordon, yeah....he's not up there with all the guys mentioned above, but he's one hell of a scorer coming off the bench. I might even think he's the highest scorer coming off the bench in the league. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong).
Old 02-20-2007 | 01:23 PM
My Garage not

question is way too vague. agree with the current arguments in this thread but in terms of all around skills, kobe is far and away the most complete player in the league with no weaknesses on offense and defense. yea, he doesn't play all nba defense like he did in the past but he also has to do everything on this pitiful team. he has multiple all nba first team seasons.

just going by the best player i don't necessarily think means the best player on one of the best teams in the league. that actually means that you have other players that contribute and it's not just u and 4 scrubs on the floor. after all, look at dirk and the mavs (good right now) and dwade and the heat (bad right now).
Old 02-20-2007 | 01:30 PM

Yes Kobe is a great scorer as well as Dwayne Wade. But from what I have seen, their defense is not up to par with their offense. They're are a lot of talented players coming in, in todays game.
i'd have to disagree. i don't think you can put kobe with the likes of the best defenders in the league, but he's a good defender. yea it's not up to par with his offense, but that's just a testament to how superior his offensive game is.

when i watch kobe now, the one main difference between his defense now and during the shaq era was that he doesn't take as many chances since he doesn't have shaq behind him. so you don't see a lot of the highlight steals. but other than that, he's quick enough to man up on the perimeter, strong enough to defend on the blocks, and he'll guard three positions.
Old 02-20-2007 | 02:21 PM
All your base belong to

D Wade and Kyle Korver.
Old 02-20-2007 | 02:26 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Ben Gordon, yeah....he's not up there with all the guys mentioned above, but he's one hell of a scorer coming off the bench. I might even think he's the highest scorer coming off the bench in the league. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong).
you're wrong. ben gordon hasn't come off the bench for over a month now; which is exactly the reason why he's not in the running for 6th man of the year award.

therefore, he's no 'highest scorer' in anyone's books.

Kobe FTMFW
Old 02-20-2007 | 02:52 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by wasupdog

just going by the best player i don't necessarily think means the best player on one of the best teams in the league. that actually means that you have other players that contribute and it's not just u and 4 scrubs on the floor. after all, look at dirk and the mavs (good right now) and dwade and the heat (bad right now).
IMO, The Lakers with Nash > Lakers with Kobe
Old 02-20-2007 | 03:05 PM

i dunno about that...for nash to be effective, he has to have scorers and players around him. lakers with nash but without kobe...who would score on that team? other than odom, there aren't any above-average players.
Old 02-20-2007 | 03:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

A healthy Steve Nash is the best.
Old 02-20-2007 | 03:11 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

i dunno about that...for nash to be effective, he has to have scorers and players around him. lakers with nash but without kobe...who would score on that team? other than odom, there aren't any above-average players.

My theory is, Nash turns the average into above average.
Old 02-20-2007 | 03:27 PM

Nash gets my vote.
Old 02-20-2007 | 03:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

All around player? Dwayne Wade, and especially now that he has a championship under his belt. His stats are still going up every year.
Old 02-20-2007 | 03:30 PM
Drifting

Kobe, he is sick.
Old 02-20-2007 | 03:31 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Originally Posted by dom
IMO, The Lakers with Nash > Lakers with Kobe
IMO, the Suns will pan out just fine without Nash. On the other hand, the Lakers would be doomed without Kobe.

Transitively, Kobe should be MVP.
Old 02-20-2007 | 04:44 PM
My Garage not

ok. u can't really compare a 2 guard with a PG. nash and kobe are both great at what they do. u also can't really compare a run and gun offense with the semi-triangle that the lakes run. nash, and any other elite PG, would be more ineffective in a triangle cus u don't really rely on the PG as the primary initiator of the offense.

this lakes team flat out sucks. i'm shocked they were actually on pace to reach a 50 win season at one point, even if that has stalled. u got kobe and odom. all the other 3 "starters" have the skillsets of bench players, not to mention that their supposed PG is looking more and more like he shoulda stayed in the NBDL player as time goes on. there's only so much u can do with this ragtag lakes team i'm surprised kobe has gotten them to where they are now.

i mean, what's nash gonna do...pass to kwame so he can drop the ball outta bounds or alley oop to turiaf or walton? this isn't to undermine what nash can do with any team, but he's at full strength when playing with high flying athletic finishers like the guys his team is made up of...marion, barbosa, stoudamire and diaw. plus, the dude plays D like adam morrison.
Old 02-20-2007 | 04:46 PM

ok. u can't really compare a 2 guard with a PG. nash and kobe are both great at what they do. u also can't really compare a run and gun offense with the semi-triangle that the lakes run. nash, and any other elite PG, would be more ineffective in a triangle cus u don't really rely on the PG as the primary initiator of the offense.

this lakes team flat out sucks. i'm shocked they were actually on pace to reach a 50 win season at one point, even if that has stalled. u got kobe and odom. all the other 3 "starters" have the skillsets of bench players, not to mention that their supposed PG is looking more and more like he shoulda stayed in the NBDL player as time goes on. there's only so much u can do with this ragtag lakes team i'm surprised kobe has gotten them to where they are now.

i mean, what's nash gonna do...pass to kwame so he can drop the ball outta bounds or alley oop to turiaf or walton? this isn't to undermine what nash can do with any team, but he's at full strength when playing with high flying athletic finishers like the guys his team is made up of...marion, barbosa, stoudamire and diaw. plus, the dude plays D like adam morrison.
Old 02-20-2007 | 04:46 PM
Go B's Go

Best pure scorer: Kobe
Start franchise with: Lebron
Favorite player: Wade
Old 02-20-2007 | 04:47 PM
My Garage not

there's no doubt that nash is one of the great PG's to come through the league, but look at the mavs now with the players they have. u effectively went from nash to JT. they didn't exactly crumble after nash left cus the mavs had the types of players that don't need his skillset as much as this suns team does.

oops...gotta get back to work lol.
Old 02-20-2007 | 04:48 PM
Senior Moderator

There is one notable omission on this list: Dwight Howard. He's worth editting and adding to the list, IMO.
Old 02-20-2007 | 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Yumchah
There is one notable omission on this list: Dwight Howard. He's worth editting and adding to the list, IMO.
this kid is a man-child. if i was going to build a franchise, i would seriously consider starting with him. even over guys like lebron, d-wade, carmelo.
Old 02-20-2007 | 05:13 PM
Yeehaw

If I was going to pick a player for a game of one on one, it would be Kobe. If I was picking players for an NBA team, my first pick would be Nash.

and I'm not saying Kobe isn't a team player, just that Nash contributes more to the team game.
Old 02-20-2007 | 05:17 PM
Yeehaw

Originally Posted by brianlin87
IMO, the Suns will pan out just fine without Nash. On the other hand, the Lakers would be doomed without Kobe.

Transitively, Kobe should be MVP.

Suns have lost 4 of their last 6 without Nash.
Old 02-20-2007 | 05:18 PM
Senior Moderator

To build a franchise around, I'd pick Nash or Howard...

Although, being a Bulls fan, I'm hoping Hinrich eventually matures into a player like Nash...he shows flashes of it.
Old 02-20-2007 | 06:45 PM
My Garage not

u guys wanna build a franchise with a 31 year old nash? i'd take wade at 24 and kobe at 28 to add some extra years to my team

i'm pretty curious to see how bron bron's career plays out. he needs to learn a consistent jumper so he can be all around unstoppable and hopefully he doesn't pan out like KG (not that his career with his team was his fault). i get the feeling like he should also take it slower than he is going at his current pace and try to save his energy for the playoffs...ie skip a summer or two with the world team.
Old 02-20-2007 | 09:13 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by BEETROOT

There's simply no arguing that point. The Suns may not be a playoff team without Nash. There record was abyssmal without him last year as well yet they made the semi's and alsmot beat Dallas without Stoudamire.

Granted the Lakers may be even worse off without Kobe.
Old 02-20-2007 | 09:20 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

well when the MVP award comes around, you kinda have to.

as big of a laker fan as i am, i do agree with you. which is another reason why kobe should be strong in the MVP contention this year.

the lakers, minus kobe/odom, are pretty bad. yet they still are above 500. that's including the fact that lamar was out a month and a half, putting vlad the borat look-alike in the starting lineup. yet through all that they lakers are still 6 games above 500. the suns have so much MORE talent than the lakers do, yet they can't win more than 50% of their last 6 games? They've gotten so used to nash passing them the ball they can't even function now with Marcus Banks at PG. That's ugly.

Originally Posted by BEETROOT
Which is exactly why the Suns can't win championships. They burn out just like they did last season. Nash's backup Marcus Banks hasn't developed all season cuz D'Antoni can't split playing time.

Originally Posted by dom
Granted the Lakers may be even worse off without Kobe.
Old 02-20-2007 | 09:38 PM
Missing My CL-S

Bosh. and i guess i'd have to say Nash
Old 02-21-2007 | 09:43 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SG81
Bosh. and i guess i'd have to say Nash

I'm a Bosh fan (obviously) but he's nowhere near the league's best. He weaknesses really show when going up against skilled big men. He was owned by Wallace and Webber in Detroit a few weeks ago.

Quick Reply: Who's the BEST NBA Player right now?