Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

Tour De France

Old 07-22-2004 | 03:26 PM
Banned

exacally though think about it Lance is going for 6 in a row. Michael Jordan was so dominant that he won some retired, came back, won some more, and some more MVP. And i would consider them a world team easily because back in those days please tell me what country put up any sort of competition to the Dream Team?
Old 07-22-2004 | 03:34 PM
teh Senior Instigator

From: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Originally Posted by MYcarmensita
I wouldnt consider Tiger but Jordan definately, Jordan had his share of shit, definately Lance is more of an inspiration but MJ is definately the immortal of his respective sport.

dude, Lance is a freaking cancer survivor!!!

I'm not taking anything from Michael he is by far the best basketball player ever and definately one of the top athletes in the world, but when it comes to immortallity lance has it all the way
Old 07-22-2004 | 03:36 PM
roomate has a CL too

exacally though think about it Lance is going for 6 in a row. Michael Jordan was so dominant that he won some retired, came back, won some more, and some more MVP. And i would consider them a world team easily because back in those days please tell me what country put up any sort of competition to the Dream Team?

the dream team wasn't a team that played together in the NBA... which consideres the champion the world champions...

all I am saying is this is larger than the NBA... and winning 6 NBA titles and MVP awards and scoring titles and dunk contests.

MJ was on DT1 and DT2 right? and they won both times... so that makes 2.

Winning the NBA titles is not the greatest thing inthe world in the basketball sense... winning the gold in the olympics in basketball is despite what most americans think. (im american, so don't think I am looking down on USA) le tour de france is considered the epitamy of the sport. It is also considered the most physically and mentally demanding sports competition known.
Old 07-22-2004 | 03:44 PM
Banned

I said above not to take anything away form him it is amazing and that doesnt even begin to describe but what i am saying that it is very sport specific on how you can compare athletes. Lance only has to perform big once a year in the tour. MJ had to show up eveyr night of the basketball seasons and he just about always did. Yes Lance is on a throne of immortality but MJ is up there with him in Immortality.

And ya i saw a segment on ESPN and Jesus definately is the most demanding sport by far...
Old 07-22-2004 | 03:44 PM
Not Registered

I disagree the difference between MJ's career and Lance's is real easy. We have never had a bike racing hero before, before Jordan there were and still are heros.
By the way Lance is going for 6 Championships the same number that Jordan won....
Greg LeMond 3 time TDF winner? We have never had a Basketball hero, Jordan played with a team and the team won consective titles. Lance can be considered a sports hero around the world to people. The US doesn't look a cycling like the rest of the world does, just like we don't look a soccer. The two most attended sports in the world.

Go Lance!!
Old 07-22-2004 | 03:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bdog
The US doesn't look a cycling like the rest of the world does, just like we don't look a soccer. The two most attended sports in the world.

Go Lance!!
Nice analogy, i was gonna bring it up but you beat me to it
Old 07-22-2004 | 03:53 PM
horny =

once he wins 10 then he will have something to brag about.

jk
Old 07-22-2004 | 04:03 PM
Fight On SC!

Originally Posted by ju5tchi11in
Yes... and Lance Armstrong knows this as well that is why he was trying to get Floyd Landis the win but it just wasn't to be, he spent to much energy leading Lance up the mountains the whole day.

Hero of the day Floyd Landis.

The sports figure of this century so far... Lance Armstrong.
the college football team to beat this year: USC

fight on!!
Old 07-22-2004 | 05:36 PM
roomate has a CL too

Originally Posted by superdds

fight on!!

f0 sh0 d0e.

Anyway... You cannot put MJ in the same class as Lance Armstrong. In the NBA and known around the world MJ is the man in basketball at least in my mind and in many others minds... but Lance Armstrong is just the undisputed legendary type of sports athlete. As you agreed, le tour de france is the most demanding competition in the sports world to date... this is the 101st? or 102nd... anyway... in world view this is it the main event/showcase of some of the greatest athletes of the world. MJ is a great athlete of the US and of the world too but not on this magnitude. In terms of accomplishments you are right you cannot compair them side by side. Lance Armstrongs accomplishments are beyond an MVP or scoring title. If he does win his 6th tour then he will be the most dominant cyclist (partially attributed to his team), like MJ (partially attributed to paxton, BJ armstrong, scotty, horace, ...etc... luke longly)... the most dominant cyclist in the finest showcase of athleticism and mental fitness. yeah MJ played in the finals with the flu. Lance Armstrong survived cancer and won the tour... had a divorce and won the tour... so the most dominant in history to date in the most demanding event in the history of sport so obviously that cannot be in the same class or compared to the accomplishments of MJ...

I am a bulls fan still and fan of MJ so don't think im hating on MJ.
Old 07-22-2004 | 05:38 PM
roomate has a CL too

fight on!!

off topic but:

I am sure that another NCAA football thread will be started soon and Bulldog01 will be cheering for Georgia or some other ACC team lol... but yeah the polls say USC... lets hope that the computers get it right this time around... a lot of pressure on the Trojan team this year... and the schedule seems kinda weird I'm looking forward to another season of tailgating and winning .
Old 07-22-2004 | 05:44 PM
Masshole

off topic but:

I am sure that another NCAA football thread will be started soon and Bulldog01 will be cheering for Georgia or some other ACC team lol... but yeah the polls say USC... lets hope that the computers get it right this time around... a lot of pressure on the Trojan team this year... and the schedule seems kinda weird I'm looking forward to another season of tailgating and winning .

The Dawgs should be pretty damn good again this year! The schedule is strange, with a bunch of home games early, and a tough four-game stretch away from Sanford Stadium...Arkansas, Florida, Kentucky, Auburn.

Carolina should be a little better, although it's hard to imagine them being worse. The schedule hurts, though, with FSU on the road, and Miami and Virginia Tech at home on consecutive weekends, in late-October/early-November.

UConn should do well.
Old 07-22-2004 | 05:44 PM
I hate the Mets

Lance only has to perform big once a year in the tour. MJ had to show up eveyr night of the basketball seasons and he just about always did. Yes Lance is on a throne of immortality but MJ is up there with him in Immortality.

And ya i saw a segment on ESPN and Jesus definately is the most demanding sport by far...

Lance races more then one race a year...He doesn't just get on his bike once a year and ride for weeks straight at the TDF - The races take tons of practice and endurance - Its true you can't compare the two sports - but just for shits and giggles I would easily say that Lance is the dominant athlete...I don't even think MJ would disagree - Lance has many more obstacles to overcome in his personal life all of which contribute to him being a greater athlete
Old 07-22-2004 | 05:48 PM
roomate has a CL too

Obviously american population does not know much about cycling....

which is not a bad thing.... just a sad thing.

There is a "tour of Georgia" road course like le tour de france... but not as competitive or known or renound. Tour of italy is a good one too. Im no expert but i have an interest in following this sport... it reminds me of wrestling sorta.
Old 07-22-2004 | 05:49 PM
roomate has a CL too

Originally Posted by Bulldog01

The Dawgs should be pretty damn good again this year! The schedule is strange, with a bunch of home games early, and a tough four-game stretch away from Sanford Stadium...Arkansas, Florida, Kentucky, Auburn.

Carolina should be a little better, although it's hard to imagine them being worse. The schedule hurts, though, with FSU on the road, and Miami and Virginia Tech at home on consecutive weekends, in late-October/early-November.

UConn should do well.

:psst:

we'll save it for another thread
Old 07-22-2004 | 05:55 PM
Masshole

:psst:

we'll save it for another thread
Fair enough.

I haven't been able to talk much Georgia Football, so I was a little . Truth be told, though, I really have some homework to do...have to get the Media Guide, among other info.
Old 07-22-2004 | 06:12 PM
"L-I-V-I-N"

Consider this: many very good NBA players have no discipline what-so-ever. They don't have to train 1/50th of what Lance does and they can still play in the NBA because playing basketball is not as psyically demanding as competitive cycling. Someone can have amazing BBall talent, have played alot of street ball and highschool ball, never really trianed THAT hard and make it to the NBA on skills alone whereas a cyclist like Lance is obviously naturally more pre-disposed to be good at cycling than teh average Joe (ok, alot) but to be even semi-recodisable in the sport AT ALL he has to work is ass off and basically sacrifice his whole life to it. That is why although I'm not trying to hate on the NBA or basketball players at ALL, good cyclists like Lance Armstrong are much more impressive altheletes especially when you consider how much of the sport must come down to sheer will power and hard work.
Old 07-22-2004 | 06:27 PM
Fight On SC!

Originally Posted by mc222
Lance races more then one race a year...He doesn't just get on his bike once a year and ride for weeks straight at the TDF - The races take tons of practice and endurance - Its true you can't compare the two sports - but just for shits and giggles I would easily say that Lance is the dominant athlete...I don't even think MJ would disagree - Lance has many more obstacles to overcome in his personal life all of which contribute to him being a greater athlete

and he's well rewarded. he gets to go home with sheryl crow.
Old 07-22-2004 | 06:30 PM
Fight On SC!

f0 sh0 d0e.

Anyway... If he does win his 6th tour then he will be the most dominant cyclist (partially attributed to his team), like MJ (partially attributed to paxton, BJ armstrong, scotty, horace, ...etc... luke longly)...
i agree but the time trials esp. at l'alpe d'huez was all armstrong.
Old 07-22-2004 | 06:37 PM
roomate has a CL too

i agree but the time trials esp. at l'alpe d'huez was all armstrong.

very true... but todays stage was in part a team effort cap off with an amazing sprint finish were armstrong just dominated... also partly because of his teams efforts to save armstrongs legs. but that just means he is smart too.
Old 07-23-2004 | 08:11 AM
Banned

f0 sh0 d0e.

Anyway... You cannot put MJ in the same class as Lance Armstrong. In the NBA and known around the world MJ is the man in basketball at least in my mind and in many others minds... but Lance Armstrong is just the undisputed legendary type of sports athlete. As you agreed, le tour de france is the most demanding competition in the sports world to date... this is the 101st? or 102nd... anyway... in world view this is it the main event/showcase of some of the greatest athletes of the world. MJ is a great athlete of the US and of the world too but not on this magnitude. In terms of accomplishments you are right you cannot compair them side by side. Lance Armstrongs accomplishments are beyond an MVP or scoring title. If he does win his 6th tour then he will be the most dominant cyclist (partially attributed to his team), like MJ (partially attributed to paxton, BJ armstrong, scotty, horace, ...etc... luke longly)... the most dominant cyclist in the finest showcase of athleticism and mental fitness. yeah MJ played in the finals with the flu. Lance Armstrong survived cancer and won the tour... had a divorce and won the tour... so the most dominant in history to date in the most demanding event in the history of sport so obviously that cannot be in the same class or compared to the accomplishments of MJ...

I am a bulls fan still and fan of MJ so don't think im hating on MJ.
I Agree with what is said here

and for the record, team to beat this year just like every other year is UM BABY, Go Canes!
Old 07-26-2004 | 12:28 PM
roomate has a CL too

Congratulations to Lance Armstrong.

Old 07-26-2004 | 12:33 PM
Banned

Dude did you see ESPN PTI? They sounded almost like trashing lance, i could not believe it.....
Old 07-26-2004 | 12:35 PM
roomate has a CL too

nah i was away on the top of a mountain no internet.... I didn't get a chance to see it on tv... Im reading up on it right now from UK/ireland YahooSports.
Old 07-26-2004 | 01:07 PM
Banned

Yesterday as the tour was wrapping up and i had ESPN on watching it and they went to PTI real quick. And the one guy asked is this the greatest accomplishment ever. And he said no, not even close, an accomplishment but not even that big of a deal. i was in shock!
Old 07-27-2004 | 04:35 PM
Race Director

You can bid on a Lance Yellow Jersey autographed by guests that were on the Tonight Show.

Will Smith, Hilary Duff, Matt Damon, Sharon Stone, Halle Berry, Mark Wahlberg, Drew Barrymore, Denis Leary, Benjamin Bratt, Christina Applegate, Julia Stiles, Senator John McCain, Wimbeldon champion Maria Sharapova, Roger Clemens, British Open winner Todd Hamilton, Sugar Ray, Brandy, Josh Groban, Five For Fighting and Olympic-bound Mia Hamm, Brandi Chastain, Julie Foudy, Maurice Green, John Godina, Gary Hall Jr. and Michael Phillips. Jay Leno, Kevin Eubanks and announcer John Melendez also added their signatures to the jersey.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESC:IT
Old 07-28-2004 | 08:30 AM
Banned

High class guys, i love Jay Leno he is a class act.
Old 07-21-2005 | 12:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Noob questions about Tour de France

Okay i'm a noob when it comes to this sport so can someone answer a few questions?

1. What's the difference between the points leader and the overall leader?

2. Is it true that Lance is leading even though he hasn't won a single stage?

3. WTF does "Peloton" mean?

4. Is it true that Lance's bike only weighs about 2 lbs.?

I'm just starting to watch it on OLN.
Old 07-21-2005 | 12:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SpeedyV6
Okay i'm a noob when it comes to this sport so can someone answer a few questions?

1. What's the difference between the points leader and the overall leader?

2. Is it true that Lance is leading even though he hasn't won a single stage?

3. WTF does "Peloton" mean?

4. Is it true that Lance's bike only weighs about 2 lbs.?

I'm just starting to watch it on OLN.
1. The points competition is a separate battle within the Tour—one in which the winner wears green, not yellow. Riders earn points based on their placings in a stage or for finishing in the top three in the intermediate sprints—basically, interim finish lines midway through a stage—scattered throughout the race. The point leader rarely factors in the final standings. Last year's high score: 216 points, by Aussie Baden Cooke, who finished 140th overall.

2. Yes, Lance has not yet won a stage. But his cumulative time is the lowest.

3. The "peloton" is the main pack of riders in any given stage.

4. Lance's frame, custom made by Trek, weighs about 2 pounds, not the whole bike.
Old 07-21-2005 | 03:58 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by TLover
4. Lance's frame, custom made by Trek, weighs about 2 pounds, not the whole bike.
It isn't custom. You can go in and buy one (if you want to spend 7 grand on a bike)
Old 07-21-2005 | 04:08 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Beelzebub
It isn't custom. You can go in and buy one (if you want to spend 7 grand on a bike)
i would imagine that his frame, and those of his team, would be built to fit the specific rider (angle of head tube, seat tube, etc.)
Old 07-21-2005 | 04:40 PM
Banned

It's custom built dimension-wise. It's not an off-the-shelf frame.
Old 07-21-2005 | 04:50 PM
Race Director

Yes that is true, but the frame style and model is available. with the same materials.
Old 07-21-2005 | 05:05 PM
Banned

Yes that is true, but the frame style and model is available. with the same materials.
Yes, that's the beauty of Trek. All of the OCLV frames are race-proven. I love my 5200.
Old 07-21-2005 | 06:37 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by TLover
Yes, that's the beauty of Trek. All of the OCLV frames are race-proven. I love my 5200.
Yea I love my 5500,

My full bike weighs less than 16 pounds.

And I love my new rims. Rolf Elan Aero's (just got them a few weeks ago, and I already have 400 miles on them.)
Old 07-21-2005 | 06:50 PM
Race Director

Sorry But I was mistaken. The bike that he rode through the Alps and the Pyrenees will be VERY hard to get.

I told you I had some cool things to tell you courtesy of Dick Moran, Trek’s Director of Marketing. Wow – where to begin… I asked the dumb question first – is Trek happy this time around? “We’re very happy!” he said. “But then again, we’ve been very happy for the past 6 years – and we’re very happy to say that Lance will be a part of Trek through at least 2010.” Looking to the bikes themselves, the Madone line will continue to be the premier line of bikes for 2005, from the 5.2 model through the SSL – and for a lucky few, even the SSLx, the ubër light bike that Lance rode so successfully through the Alps and Pyrenees. I asked Dick just how folks can get their hands on a highly - and very limited edition – SSLx. “That really depends on 2 things: the availability of materials (recall that the SSLx has OCLV™ 55 Carbon, plus a Boron bottom bracket, drilled out drop outs, and more – or less!) and then what Trek dealers step up to order these high-value items.”
Old 07-21-2005 | 06:54 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

y r we using last years thread, when we have one for this year's tour?

Lance's mountain bike is right on the legal limit of 15lbs fully kitted out.

nutty.