Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

Shula is Gone !

Old 11-27-2006 | 09:23 AM
Banned

Shula is Gone !

...now the question remains, who will replace him @ Alabama ! ?
Old 11-27-2006 | 09:57 AM
Burn some dust here

day for Auburn Football fans
Old 11-27-2006 | 10:38 AM
Bent = #1

indeed.. but I'm interested to see who they are going to bring in to replace him.
Old 11-27-2006 | 01:31 PM
Banned

I can ONLY hope this is true !

Originally Posted by cob3683
day for Auburn Football fans
Old 11-27-2006 | 01:34 PM
Banned

A couple of weeks ago, I heart mention of Nick Saban. I have NO idea if that statement is valid in the least, or if he would even be interested in coming out of the Pros.

It is going to be fun to see how it all shakes out. Even if Shula would have stayed, I think next season would have been at least a 9+ Win Season. With a Good Coach, who knows...

Originally Posted by hornyleprechaun
indeed.. but I'm interested to see who they are going to bring in to replace him.
Old 11-27-2006 | 01:40 PM
Bent = #1

Originally Posted by Caddyİ
A couple of weeks ago, I heart mention of Nick Saban. I have NO idea if that statement is valid in the least, or if he would even be interested in coming out of the Pros.

It is going to be fun to see how it all shakes out. Even if Shula would have stayed, I think next season would have been at least a 9+ Win Season. With a Good Coach, who knows...

On Cold Pizza today Mark Schlabach said that Nick Saban was not a candidate only because of his contract and the owner of the Dolphins would not let Saban out of his contract. Schlabah also said WVU's coach (Rodriquez?) was a candidate. Also Bobby Petrino, but Petrino is always brought up. I personally doubt he'd go to Bama when he has such a good situation in Louisville.

BTW I doubt you'll win 8 games next year, but we will see..
Old 11-27-2006 | 01:50 PM
Banned

Alabama > Louisville regardless of their good season. I would think there are 5-10 Prestigious Football Coaching Jobs in the Country. Alabama is in that group.

I am not familiar with Petrino, other than by name.

Shall we wager on your statement "I doubt you'll win 8 games next year" ?

I'll take that bet. 7 or below you wil. 8 or above, I win. What shall we wager ? New Coach, Recruiting woes ? Talk to me...

On Cold Pizza today Mark Schlabach said that Nick Saban was not a candidate only because of his contract and the owner of the Dolphins would not let Saban out of his contract. Schlabah also said WVU's coach (Rodriquez?) was a candidate. Also Bobby Petrino, but Petrino is always brought up. I personally doubt he'd go to Bama when he has such a good situation in Louisville.

BTW I doubt you'll win 8 games next year, but we will see..
Old 11-27-2006 | 01:57 PM
Bent = #1

Alabama > Louisville regardless of their good season. I would think there are 5-10 Prestigious Football Coaching Jobs in the Country. Alabama is in that group.

I am not familiar with Petrino, other than by name.

Shall we wager on your statement "I doubt you'll win 8 games next year" ?

I'll take that bet. 7 or below you wil. 8 or above, I win. What shall we wager ? New Coach, Recruiting woes ? Talk to me...

I can agree and disagree with your statement..

Yes Alabama is a more prestigious school, but the pressure to win since everyone at Bama brings up "The Bear" every time Bama loses. Also, Petrino has a better chance of getting into a BCS bowl game with Louisville, since they play in the Big East and all they have to beat is WVU and Rutgers.

Bama has to beat Auburn, LSU, Arkansas, Tennessee every year. And add Florida ever so often, PLUS the SEC championship game. That is just so tough to do and honestly whenever an SEC team goes undefeated they deserve the national championship game. Keyword is undefeated though.

BTW Petrino is the guy that our Interim President and whoever else went to visit before the 2004 season when they wanted to replace Tuberville. Then Tubby went undefeated and showed them up

And as far as that bet goes let me see the schedule.. I tried to find it, but couldn't. I still don't think Bama will beat Auburn, LSU, and Tennesee. Throw in a loss to Arkansas and/or Miss. St. again haha. But seriously, find me the schedule and we will discuss.
Old 11-27-2006 | 02:15 PM
Banned

NOT an Easy Schedule !

Sat, Sep 01 Western Carolina Tuscaloosa TBA
Sat, Sep 08 Vanderbilt* at Nashville, Tenn. TBA
Sat, Sep 15 Arkansas* Tuscaloosa TBA
Sat, Sep 22 Georgia* Tuscaloosa TBA
Sat, Sep 29 Florida State at Jacksonville, Fla. TBA
Sat, Oct 06 Houston Tuscaloosa TBA
Sat, Oct 13 Ole Miss* at Oxford, Miss. TBA
Sat, Oct 20 Tennessee* Tuscaloosa TBA
Sat, Nov 03 Mississippi State* at Starkville, Miss. TBA
Sat, Nov 10 LSU* Tuscaloosa TBA
Sat, Nov 17 Louisiana-Monroe Tuscaloosa TBA
Sat, Nov 24 Auburn* at Auburn, Ala. TBA
Old 11-27-2006 | 02:17 PM
Banned

VERY True

And get this--from an Alabama fan--Auburn during that 13 Win season was screwed out of one for sure!

That is just so tough to do and honestly whenever an SEC team goes undefeated they deserve the national championship game. Keyword is undefeated though.
Old 11-27-2006 | 03:33 PM
Bent = #1

Ok here we go.. I'll say you lose at least 5 times.. but possibly can lose 8!

Sat, Sep 01 Western Carolina Tuscaloosa TBA Win
Sat, Sep 08 Vanderbilt* at Nashville, Tenn. TBA Win (possible loss)
Sat, Sep 15 Arkansas* Tuscaloosa TBA Loss
Sat, Sep 22 Georgia* Tuscaloosa TBA Loss (possible win)
Sat, Sep 29 Florida State at Jacksonville, Fla. TBA Loss
Sat, Oct 06 Houston Tuscaloosa TBA Win
Sat, Oct 13 Ole Miss* at Oxford, Miss. TBA Win (possible loss)
Sat, Oct 20 Tennessee* Tuscaloosa TBA Loss
Sat, Nov 03 Mississippi State* at Starkville, Miss. TBA Win (maybe lose 2 in a row!)
Sat, Nov 10 LSU* Tuscaloosa TBA Loss
Sat, Nov 17 Louisiana-Monroe Tuscaloosa TBA Win
Sat, Nov 24 Auburn* at Auburn, Ala. TBA Loss

I think Bama will lose to at minimum to LSU, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida St./Georgia, Arkansas. That is 5 losses, where Florida St./Georgia equals 1 loss b/w the two games, possibly Bama losing to both!

I'll be $20 that Bama gets at least 5 losses, so 7-5 for the year (bowl game does not count).
Old 11-27-2006 | 04:59 PM
Banned

Sat, Sep 08 Vanderbilt* at Nashville, Tenn. TBA Win
Sat, Sep 15 Arkansas* Tuscaloosa TBA Win
Sat, Sep 22 Georgia* Tuscaloosa TBA Loss (possible Win)
Sat, Sep 29 Florida State at Jacksonville, Fla. TBA Win
Sat, Oct 13 Ole Miss* at Oxford, Miss. TBA Win
Sat, Oct 20 Tennessee* Tuscaloosa TBA Win (possible loss )
Sat, Nov 03 Mississippi State* at Starkville, Miss. TBA Win
Sat, Nov 24 Auburn* at Auburn, Ala. TBA Win ( Possible Loss )

As you can see, I have them at 10 wins, which is optimistic, with Auburn being a possible loss and TN being a Possible loss. Say we loose to TN & Auburn, that will bring me in at 8.

Let me simmer on the bet a bit. In light of my R&P leanings, I am NOT usually a betting man, but I might just like this one...and these odds.

Last edited by Caddyİ; 11-27-2006 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-27-2006 | 05:39 PM
Banned

Remember they were 6 and 6 in a down year in which they should have beaten ARK, Had TN till a few minutes late in the 4th, should have come back to beat M.State if they had an offense, had FL 10-0 at Half, Would have beaten Auburn save for 2 missed blocks by the offensive line. They had a bevy of TRUE Freshman this year. They will be much more experienced and seasoned next year.

I think I'll take your bet : )

Ok here we go.. I'll say you lose at least 5 times.. but possibly can lose 8!

Sat, Sep 08 Vanderbilt* at Nashville, Tenn. TBA Win (possible loss)
Sat, Sep 15 Arkansas* Tuscaloosa TBA Loss
Sat, Sep 22 Georgia* Tuscaloosa TBA Loss (possible win)
Sat, Sep 29 Florida State at Jacksonville, Fla. TBA Loss
Sat, Oct 13 Ole Miss* at Oxford, Miss. TBA Win (possible loss)
Sat, Oct 20 Tennessee* Tuscaloosa TBA Loss
Sat, Nov 03 Mississippi State* at Starkville, Miss. TBA Win (maybe lose 2 in a row!)
Sat, Nov 24 Auburn* at Auburn, Ala. TBA Loss

I think Bama will lose to at minimum to LSU, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida St./Georgia, Arkansas. That is 5 losses, where Florida St./Georgia equals 1 loss b/w the two games, possibly Bama losing to both!

I'll be $20 that Bama gets at least 5 losses, so 7-5 for the year (bowl game does not count).
Old 11-27-2006 | 06:53 PM
Bent = #1

Sounds good, it is a bet!

What makes you think you will lost to LSU and UGA, where as you have Bama beating Auburn, Florida St., Arkansas (McFadden will tear it up next year, remember he is only a sophomore) and Tennessee. In case you missed the thread title your Head Coach was fired! A new coach will not be able to beat more than 2 of LSU, UGA, Auburn, Tennessee and Arkansas. Granted Bama has all but Auburn at home, they did almost lose to Duke at home
Old 11-27-2006 | 06:57 PM
Bent = #1

Remember they were 6 and 6 in a down year in which they should have beaten ARK, Had TN till a few minutes late in the 4th, should have come back to beat M.State if they had an offense, had FL 10-0 at Half, Would have beaten Auburn save for 2 missed blocks by the offensive line. They had a bevy of TRUE Freshman this year. They will be much more experienced and seasoned next year.

I think I'll take your bet : )

And Arkansas is a very young team also. They had a good year and will only be better next year, I think they have a good chance of beating us unless Borgess figures out how to call offensive plays.

Florida will have Tebow starting and I think he will be the best QB in the conference. I think Leak is very overrated and that Tebow should play in his spot.

Miss. St. is an upset team though. They took down Florida 2 years ago (I believe 2 years) at home. They have talent, and were 1 SEC win behind Bama this year

And for Auburn, you will not beat us at home. Well let me rephrase that, at Jordan-Hare Stadium, not Jordan-Hare West (ie. Bryant-Denny Stadium )
Old 11-27-2006 | 07:12 PM
Banned

Obviously, Anything can happen, but McFadden only had 103 yards against us. Our "D" will be stronger, older, wiser next year and they will key on stopping him. Ark will NOT be as good next year. I could have easily have said we would beat GA as opposed to Auburn. I think Ga will be a little stoner next year, Auburn a little weaker. They are loosing the QB and a lot off of the defense. LSU will also be down next year, comparatively speaking to this year.

Sounds good, it is a bet!

What makes you think you will lost to LSU and UGA, where as you have Bama beating Auburn, Florida St., Arkansas (McFadden will tear it up next year, remember he is only a sophomore) and Tennessee. In case you missed the thread title your Head Coach was fired! A new coach will not be able to beat more than 2 of LSU, UGA, Auburn, Tennessee and Arkansas. Granted Bama has all but Auburn at home, they did almost lose to Duke at home
Old 11-27-2006 | 07:18 PM
Bent = #1

Obviously, Anything can happen, but McFadden only had 103 yards against us. Our "D" will be stronger, older, wiser next year and they will key on stopping him. Ark will NOT be as good next year. I could have easily have said we would beat GA as opposed to Auburn. I think Ga will be a little stoner next year, Auburn a little weaker. They are loosing the QB and a lot off of the defense. LSU will also be down next year, comparatively speaking to this year.
Correction.. We are not losing Cox, he is a junior. We are losing Courtney Taylor, David and Kenny Irons. But we will have Tray Blackmon, one of the best linebackers in the coming years in the SEC. We also will have Brad Lester who is a really good RB. The thing is though all teams lose players, it is the job of the coaches to make sure the new, younger players are prepared and able to play at the level that is required in SEC play. Since Bama doesn't have a head coach now, there really is no telling how good you will be until spring starts.
Old 11-27-2006 | 09:01 PM
Banned

...ah, I thought Cox was a Senior. Blackmon is a very good player, agreed.
Old 12-01-2006 | 11:06 AM
Banned

So, has anybody else heard that Spurrier is Definately coming to Alabama ?
Old 12-01-2006 | 11:26 AM
Bent = #1

Yeah some guy on poker last night that goes to Hoover was saying Spurrier was coming to Alabama. I was drunk and thought he was messing around with me. I was on ESPN all last night and didn't see anything about it..
Old 12-01-2006 | 11:30 AM
Banned

Yea, I know

I don't think this thing is final yet...

Yeah some guy on poker last night that goes to Hoover was saying Spurrier was coming to Alabama. I was drunk and thought he was messing around with me. I was on ESPN all last night and didn't see anything about it..
Old 12-01-2006 | 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator

why don't miami and alabama just trade thier fired coaches.
Old 12-01-2006 | 11:49 AM
Карты убийцы

SOS is staying at SC for a SEC run next year. He has Sidney Rice (Heisman player) and little loss of seniors. The only team that beat SOS blue this year was Georgia... the rest including Florida, Tenn, Ark, and Auburn, were only a play away from making USC a one loss team.

Also we are uping his contract this week... find another coach.
Old 12-01-2006 | 12:07 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Ok by me...

Originally Posted by asianspec
why don't miami and alabama just trade thier fired coaches.
Old 12-01-2006 | 12:08 PM
Banned

We'll see...

He's a good coach! Not real likeable but a fine coach. If he stays at SC, good for you. If he goes to UA, good for us.

Originally Posted by Professor
SOS is staying at SC for a SEC run next year. He has Sidney Rice (Heisman player) and little loss of seniors. The only team that beat SOS blue this year was Georgia... the rest including Florida, Tenn, Ark, and Auburn, were only a play away from making USC a one loss team.

Also we are uping his contract this week... find another coach.
Old 12-01-2006 | 12:31 PM
Burn some dust here

Look for Bama's coach to come from one of these guys:
Rich Rodriguez
Jim Grobe
George O'Leary
Paul Johnson (If Bama's AD and BOT had half a brain they would pick him up and run)
Old 12-02-2006 | 11:29 AM
Bent = #1

Look for Bama's coach to come from one of these guys:
Rich Rodriguez
Jim Grobe
George O'Leary
Paul Johnson (If Bama's AD and BOT had half a brain they would pick him up and run)

Rich Rodriquez reported today that he has not been offered a job. He also has a pretty expensive buyout. I doubt he will leave having built up WVU in the Big East. Whenever the BCS contract expires I am pretty confident they might change the format and that could give the Big East a good chance of going to the national title.
Old 12-02-2006 | 02:32 PM
Bent = #1

Official that Spurrier signed a contract extension through 2012 today. It was supposed to take place in Spring, but because of all the talks about Spurrier going some where else South Carolina decided to do it now.

I think South Carolina is a decent team in the East. Once Spurrier gets more recruits to go there they will definitely be a force in the East. I think the days of Fulmer at Tennessee are done in the next year or 2. And unless UGA improves a whole lot next year, Mark Richt may be done as well at UGA.
Old 12-07-2006 | 11:36 PM
Bent = #1

ESPN is reporting that Rich Rodriquez accepted the job.. 2 million a year for 5/6 years and they are paying his $2 million buyout to WVU. No article yet on espn.com but it is on the bottom of espn (the channel).
Old 12-08-2006 | 07:28 AM
Banned

Search Committe

Good, up until now...this has been the search committee:

ESPN is reporting that Rich Rodriquez accepted the job.. 2 million a year for 5/6 years and they are paying his $2 million buyout to WVU. No article yet on espn.com but it is on the bottom of espn (the channel).
Old 12-08-2006 | 03:13 PM
Bent = #1

Hah sorry to burst the bubble but WVU counter-offered Alabama's offer and Rodriquez is deciding to stay. Report says non-negotiable too.
Old 12-08-2006 | 03:24 PM
Burn some dust here

Just more proof that Alabama is now a second rate program.

Sure they have history, but so does Harvard, Yale, Brown, etc.
Old 12-08-2006 | 05:17 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Now that's about the Lamest comment I have heard today. Most all programs have some semblance of Parity these days. Hardly anybody will have a corner market on the National Championship for more than a few years running. Every program goes through ruff times--that includes Notre Dame, Michagan, USC, Auburn, Tennessee, Texas, Nebraska, Texas, and yes Alabama.

They had a 10-2 year last year. That was not 2nd rate.

Just more proof that Alabama is now a second rate program.

Sure they have history, but so does Harvard, Yale, Brown, etc.
Old 12-08-2006 | 08:17 PM
Burn some dust here

Now that's about the Lamest comment I have heard today. Most all programs have some semblance of Parity these days. Hardly anybody will have a corner market on the National Championship for more than a few years running. Every program goes through ruff times--that includes Notre Dame, Michagan, USC, Auburn, Tennessee, Texas, Nebraska, Texas, and yes Alabama.

They had a 10-2 year last year. That was not 2nd rate.
I was just messing with you. UA is a great coaching job, the fans just need to temper their expectations a little right now.
Old 12-08-2006 | 11:00 PM
Banned

Ok. Appreciate that. I really don't know that it is a great coaching Job. I think it is a pressure cooker. That's why we are seeing what we are seeing right now.

Agreed on the tempering of expectations. I love the sport and the university, but in the whole skeem of things and life, it really means very little. I just want to see a little period on the upswing!

I was just messing with you. UA is a great coaching job, the fans just need to temper their expectations a little right now.
Old 12-08-2006 | 11:25 PM
Burn some dust here

Ok. Appreciate that. I really don't know that it is a great coaching Job. I think it is a pressure cooker. That's why we are seeing what we are seeing right now.

Agreed on the tempering of expectations. I love the sport and the university, but in the whole skeem of things and life, it really means very little. I just want to see a little period on the upswing!
Personally, I think Alabama's biggest problem (and greatest asset) was/is Bear Bryant and his legacy. You cannot dominate modern college football the way BB did 30+ years ago....it just won't happen.

UA needs to do 2 things in my opinion:
1) Fire Mal Moore....the guy is worthless as an AD
2) Drop the "we need to hire someone with ties to the university and/or Bear Bryant." Find the right person for the job and then hire them regardless of what connections they have in their past.
Old 12-09-2006 | 01:23 AM
Bent = #1

I'm drunk so I'm not quoting anyone... but Alabama needs someone who can call offensive plays.. Kines (defensive coordinator?) has proven that Bamas defense is good the past couple years.. I know that the loss of Prothro (sp?) has hurt the offense, but I still know recruits will go to Bama. If they can get a coach who knows the offense then Bama should do good.

IMO I don't think Rodriquez would have done good for Bama. Sure he was a good coach at WVU, but I still think you need a coach with experience in the SEC to be a good HEAD coach in the SEC. There are exceptions, but I still don't think Rodriquez would have done good at Bama.

Caddy our bet is still on, even if you had Bear Bryant coaching Bama next year
Old 12-09-2006 | 07:28 AM
Banned

I actaully agree with both points there...

Personally, I think Alabama's biggest problem (and greatest asset) was/is Bear Bryant and his legacy. You cannot dominate modern college football the way BB did 30+ years ago....it just won't happen.

UA needs to do 2 things in my opinion:
1) Fire Mal Moore....the guy is worthless as an AD
2) Drop the "we need to hire someone with ties to the university and/or Bear Bryant." Find the right person for the job and then hire them regardless of what connections they have in their past.
Old 12-09-2006 | 07:30 AM
Banned

Yea, I agree here too. They need someone on the offensive side as Kines is on the D. That's why I was think Cutcliffe would be a good choice, but does not look like that will happen.

Yea, Bet's still on

I'm drunk so I'm not quoting anyone... but Alabama needs someone who can call offensive plays.. Kines (defensive coordinator?) has proven that Bamas defense is good the past couple years.. I know that the loss of Prothro (sp?) has hurt the offense, but I still know recruits will go to Bama. If they can get a coach who knows the offense then Bama should do good.

IMO I don't think Rodriquez would have done good for Bama. Sure he was a good coach at WVU, but I still think you need a coach with experience in the SEC to be a good HEAD coach in the SEC. There are exceptions, but I still don't think Rodriquez would have done good at Bama.

Caddy our bet is still on, even if you had Bear Bryant coaching Bama next year