Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NFL: Parcells eyeing office job with Falcons

Old 12-19-2007, 12:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,652 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Post NFL: Parcells eyeing office job with Falcons

From TSN...

New York, NY (Sports Network) - Bill Parcells is reportedly ready to take a job in the Atlanta Falcons front office.

According to the New York Daily News, Parcells is on the verge of accepting a job to run the Falcons' football operations with only a few minor details to be worked out. A deal could be finalized with Falcons owner Arthur Blank as early as Wednesday.

"I think I probably will do it," Parcells told the newspaper by phone from his home. "The job description is to be the football operations overseer. We still have a little work to do, but I don't think it's anything major. I don't expect any real deal-breaker. I don't think there will be any major hangups."

Parcells did say he definitely would not be the Falcons' head coach and plans to hire a general manager and then work with that GM to hire a new coach to replace Bobby Petrino, who quit to coach Arkansas just 13 games into his first NFL season.

"I'm going to oversee the football operation," Parcells said. "I'm going to hire a general manager if the deal is finalized in Atlanta. We are going to hire a coach and talk to all the coaches who are there. It's going to be a collective effort. The triangle is going to be the GM, the coach and Bill Parcells.

"Under no circumstances is Bill Parcells ever going to return to the field."

Parcells retired as head coach of the Dallas Cowboys after last season.

After taking over for the Cowboys in January of 2003, Parcells posted a regular-season record of 34-30 during his four-year tenure. The Cowboys had three winning seasons and two playoff appearances under Parcells, but the team dropped both of its postseason games -- losing to Carolina in 2003 and Seattle last season.

Parcells had an overall head coaching mark of 172-130-1 in the regular season with the Cowboys, New York Jets, New England Patriots and New York Giants, winning Super Bowl titles after the 1986 and 1990 seasons during an eight-year run with the Giants.

He has an 11-8 record in the playoffs and is one of only five coaches to guide two different teams to the Super Bowl, joining Don Shula, Dan Reeves, Dick Vermeil and Mike Holmgren.

Nine of Parcells' 19 teams won at least 10 games in a season and he directed 10 squads to the playoffs.

Parcells spent the first 15 years of his coaching career at the collegiate level, including one season as the head coach at the Air Force Academy. He then moved on to the NFL as an assistant in 1979 with the Giants, spent the 1980 season as the linebackers coach with New England and returned to the Giants as the defensive coordinator for 1981 and '82 before taking over the head coaching duties in 1983.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Big White Chocolate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3161733

Poor Arthur Blank.

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Bill Parcells will not be joining the Atlanta Falcons as head of football operations.

Parcells turned down the position, Falcons owner Arthur Blank said Wednesday in a statement. Blank said the team had an agreement in principle with Parcells, but after he told the Falcons he was considering an similar offer from the Miami Dolphins, negotiations fell through.

Sources close to Parcells told ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli that Parcells and the Dolphins are in active negotiations and are closing in on a deal.

"We gave it our best shot, and it didn't work out. We will continue down the same overall path, proceeding with plans to hire a general manager and a head coach. We will identify and consider every strongly viable candidate for these positions, with the goal of hiring the best," Blank said, according to a statement.

Parcells, an ESPN NFL analyst, was considering an offer to join the team's front office as vice president of football operations, a role that would put him in charge of finding the next coach for a team rocked by the suspension and imprisonment of Michael Vick and the sudden resignation of Bobby Petrino.

The announcement that talks broke down with Parcells leaves the makeup of the Falcons' front office, and their search for a replacement for Petrino, in question.

This wasn't the first time the Atlanta Falcons and Bill Parcells danced. ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli recalls the other time, which ended the same way. Story

The announcement was a far cry from earlier Wednesday, when Parcells told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that he was leaning toward accepting the Falcons' offer.

"I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it. [Owner] Arthur [Blank] and I have had some pretty constructive discussions. I basically will oversee the football operations. We'll meet today -- not in Atlanta -- and work out some of the final details but I don't think there's any deal breakers here," Parcells said earlier.

According to the statement, Rich McKay will remain president of the club and will retain general manager responsibilities until a new GM is hired.

Blank added that the Falcons remain committed to "looking at every option for building a championship-caliber team for our fans.

"I have stated we will leave no stone unturned in doing so, and this effort is one example of that," Blank said.

The courtship with Parcells may have no real effect on the team's search for a new coach. The Falcons are expected to wait at least until the end of the regular season to begin serious talks with candidates.

Dolphins spokesman Harvey Greene declined comment, saying the organization does not discuss rumors.

"Really?" defensive lineman Vonnie Holliday said when told by The AP about Parcells' apparent interest in the Dolphins. "You can't control it. But somebody like the Big Tuna, regardless of who's in the front office or who's not, brings a lot of respect and a lot of credibility with him. He's a Hall of Famer. If you're a free agent out there, that might draw you in."

Parcells is not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The story broke as many Dolphins were playing cards and dominoes in the locker room after practice, and instantly, many of them began turning heads toward the televisions scattered about the room.

It didn't take long for even the mere mention of Parcells to create a buzz in Miami.

"I have a lot of respect for what he's been able to do in other places and I'd expect, if he did come in here, for him to do the same," Holliday said. "I don't know what's going to happen upstairs. I have no idea. I have a lot of respect for [GM] Randy Mueller, as well. But my interest is in what's best for this team and getting us in the right direction."
Old 12-19-2007, 04:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,652 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Parceowned...