Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

Official Baseball Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 01:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
I like this pickup.

Colletti seems to be making good choices (hello Mueller & Furcal, goodbye Bradley). Lets see what he can do for our pitching.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
And the final move is complete. Ron Villone was dumped to the Yankees so no more $2 mill salary for the large reliever. It's official, we're at $17 mill payroll for next year barring any pickups. I think they might get a LF and/or 2B.

And ARod won't play in the World Baseball Classic anymore. He can't make up his mind for which to team to play for.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:00 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Doom878
And the final move is complete. Ron Villone was dumped to the Yankees so no more $2 mill salary for the large reliever. It's official, we're at $17 mill payroll for next year barring any pickups. I think they might get a LF and/or 2B.

And ARod won't play in the World Baseball Classic anymore. He can't make up his mind for which to team to play for.
that's less than ARod's salary.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amazing
Old 12-18-2005, 01:01 AM
101 years of heartache...

pathetic. its really sad; 2 WS in 7 years, and still no fans. I guess Miami is for night clubs and beach-goers only. I'd give a right leg and left arm for a WS.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:48 PM
Team Owner

Sucks. Both years we won I was 17 and broke or in Pittsburgh.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:04 PM
Safety Car

Im not sure which is worse
Old 12-18-2005, 11:09 PM
Team Owner

Nomar signs with the Dodgers.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5175756

A lot of new bats in the lineup now. How about some pitching Nick.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,792 Likes on 13,976 Posts

Oswalt gets a tracker?

===========

Keeping his word
McLane follows through, gets Oswalt a bulldozer
Posted: Monday December 19, 2005 5:27PM; Updated: Monday December 19, 2005 5:27PM

HOUSTON (AP) -- By the third inning of the Houston Astros' pennant-clinching victory over the St. Louis Cardinals, Roy Oswalt was dreaming about a bulldozer.

The right-handed ace remembered what Astros owner Drayton McLane promised him in the clubhouse before the game -- win and you'll get that all-purpose tractor you've always wanted.

Oswalt came through, allowing one run in seven innings in the Game 6 victory that sent Houston to its first World Series.

On Monday, McLane fulfilled his part of the bargain, presenting Oswalt with a shiny, new Caterpillar D6N XL -- with a giant red bow on top of the cab.

"That's a pretty good gift for Christmas, for sure," Oswalt said.

The Weir, Miss., native beamed as he climbed aboard the corn-colored machine, hauled into the parking lot at Minute Maid Park on a flatbed tractor-trailer.

"This is a dozer you can do anything with," Oswalt said.

McLane said a bulldozer has been on Oswalt's wish list almost from the day he moved up to the majors in 2001. The model he purchased for Oswalt cost about $200,000.

"Each year, with our players, I ask them what their goals are," McLane said. "I said, 'Roy, what is one of your goals?' He said, 'To own a bulldozer.' That kind of took me back a little bit. I had never heard that before."

Oswalt said the bulldozer -- not his rising baseball stardom -- will make him the envy of everyone in his tiny hometown. He'll use the new toy to repair two man-made lakes and build some roads at the 1,000-acre ranch he owns with his brother.

"There are going to be a lot of jealous people around where I live," Oswalt said. "I'm going to try to hire out and make a little money in the offseason."

Astros general manager Tim Purpura joked that the team made baseball history by placing the first "bulldozer clause" into a contract. Teams are required to disclose any high-dollar gifts given to players.

"We've achieved a great historical milestone," Purpura said with a smile.

Other than not offering arbitration to Roger Clemens, the Astros have done little dealing this offseason. The 28-year-old Oswalt, who has one year left on a two-year, $17 million contract he signed last February, said he has not spoken with Clemens, who has not said whether he'll retire.

"I don't know anything about it," Oswalt said. "They tell me to pitch and I pitch. That's all I do."

Purpura said the Astros were in the running to sign Nomar Garciaparra until the All-Star shortstop opted for Los Angeles.

Last week, the Astros re-signed catcher Brad Ausmus and infielder Mike Lamb. Closer Brad Lidge and third baseman Morgan Ensberg are eligible for arbitration.

Purpura was tight-lipped about other deals that might be in the works.

"We've been in the process of talking to other clubs," Purpura said. "Just because the holidays are here, we're going to try to keep working to improve this club, but we have to do it in a way where we're not going to mortgage our future and hurt ourselves long-term."
Old 12-20-2005, 12:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Woohoo! AJ returns to the ChiSox: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

And Washburn joins the Mariners: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html
Old 12-20-2005, 08:21 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jlukja
Nomar signs with the Dodgers.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5175756

A lot of new bats in the lineup now. How about some pitching Nick.
Interesting. Nomar will play 1B, 3B, or OF. SS Cesar Itzuris had a great 1st half batting like .350 and leading the league so no need to bench him.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:23 AM
Once more into the breach

Originally Posted by Doom878
Interesting. Nomar will play 1B, 3B, or OF. SS Cesar Itzuris had a great 1st half batting like .350 and leading the league so no need to bench him.

yeah right!, hell be on injured reserve for 161 games.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Safety Car

I like this idea

"A shortstop solution
By David Lefort, Boston.com Staff

Might the answer to the Red Sox' shortstop quandary be right in front of their faces?

Miguel Tejada, Julio Lugo, and Alex Gonzalez have all been discussed as possibilities to replace Edgar Renteria, but another option has suddenly presented itself -- one that doesn’t require the Red Sox to look beyond their own roster.

Tony Graffanino surprisingly accepted the Red Sox’ arbitration offer on Monday, meaning he is essentially signed for 2006 (though the Sox could trade or release him during spring training). His return creates a logjam at second base, with the newly acquired Mark Loretta already penciled in as the starter.

Where does that leave Graffanino? One option is to make him a utilityman, though Alex Cora seems a better fit in that role. Another possibility the Sox should consider is to move either Loretta or Graffanino to shortstop, a position both have played at some point during their careers.

On the surface, moving someone across the infield to play such an important position doesn’t seem like a good idea; but consider the facts ...

# Defense: Graffanino and Loretta have made a combined 421 appearances at shortstop, with Loretta owning the lion’s share with 328. Graffanino made 13 errors in 339 chances (.962 fielding percentage, which is eight points better than Renteria’s 2005 percentage), and Loretta had 21 errors in 1,213 chances. Only two shortstops in major league baseball last season had a better fielding percentage than Loretta’s career .983 mark at short. Let that sink in for a minute.

What about zone rating and range factor? Both Graffanino and Loretta have similar numbers in those categories (at the shortstop position) as Gonzalez, who is considered one of the best defensive shortstops in the National League.

# Offense: Graffanino showed in the second half of the season why he deserves a spot in the everyday Red Sox lineup. After coming over from Kansas City in a trade, he batted .319 with 39 runs scored in 51 games for the Red Sox, and .309 overall. Compare those numbers to those of Gonzalez, who at this point appears to be the most likely free-agent option for the Sox. For the Marlins last season, Gonzalez hit .264 in 130 games, with just five homers and 45 runs scored. In fairness to Gonzalez, he missed some time due to injury, and he hit 23 homers in 2004 (albeit with a .232 batting average and a horrid .270 on-base percentage).

# Cost analysis: What’s the cost for someone like Gonzalez? He made $3.5 million in 2005, and at 28 years old and in the prime of his career, he’s likely going to command a multi-year deal worth somewhere north of his current salary. Would the Red Sox want to commit for that many years and that much money? They’d probably prefer not to. What about acquiring someone like Julio Lugo? He would cost the Sox prospect Andy Marte in all likelihood. Meanwhile, Loretta and Graffanino are already under Red Sox control for 2006. Graffanino will probably make somewhere around $2 million in arbitration, meaning a savings one way or another for the Red Sox, who could use that extra cash to fill other roster holes. In other words, this move makes financial sense for the Red Sox.

Unless the Sox can go out and get Tejada, which looks unlikely at this point, moving either Loretta or Graffanino to shortstop makes sense for 2006. Both have shown they can handle the workload defensively, and both of their bats belong in the everyday lineup. Plus, penciling them in brings the Red Sox one step closer to completing construction of the 2006 team, and frees up time to continue the pursuit of Johnny Damon and bullpen reinforcements.

Besides, they don’t have a very tough act to follow. "
Old 12-20-2005, 05:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by peacefrog
yeah right!, hell be on injured reserve for 161 games.
"Despite having played in only 21 big league games in 2001, 81 in 2004 and 62 last year, Garciaparra maintained he's not injury-prone.

"'No, not at all,' he said."
Old 12-20-2005, 05:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Padres deal right-hander Eaton to Rangers

ESPN.com news services

The Texas Rangers have helped address their pitching woes by reaching agreement to acquire San Diego Padres right-handed pitchers Adam Eaton and Akinori Otsuka and minor league prospect Billy Killian in exchange for right-handed pitcher Chris Young, first baseman Adrian Gonzalez and outfielder Terrmel Sledge, ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick has confirmed.

The Rangers and Padres had been discussing a deal for Eaton for several weeks, but Texas was reluctant to part with young catcher Gerald Laird, The Dallas Morning News reported.

While officials from both clubs said that the trade will be finalized after the players involved pass physicals, the process could be delayed slightly because Otsuka is currently in Japan.

The main motivation for the Padres to deal Eaton was because they were far apart in negotiations on a new multi-year contract, and Eaton will enter the final year of his current deal in '06, Crasnick reports.

Eaton and his agent, Jim Lindell, were seeking a three-year, $27 million deal, while the Padres had floated an offer of three years and $17 million.

Eaton told ESPN.com last week that he was growing impatient over the Padres' unwillingness to "extend a hand" in contract talks.

"I feel like I've always been on the outside of their plans, and that's frustrating," Eaton said. "I feel like I'm being put off and put off, and that's not something anybody likes to have done to them."

In the aftermath of the trade, San Diego's starting rotation currently consists of Jake Peavy, Young, Woody Williams, Chan Ho Park and youngsters Clay Hensley and Tim Stauffer. The Padres have also been in talks with free agents Brett Tomko and Pedro Astacio.

The addition of Sledge and Gonzalez could make outfielder Dave Roberts expendable in a trade. Roberts, San Diego's center fielder last season, lost his center field job when the Padres acquired Mike Cameron from the New York Mets.

Eaton, 28, was 11-5 with San Diego last year, but pitched only 128 2/3 innings due to a middle finger strain.

Otsuka, 33, was 2-8 last season with a 3.59 ERA, striking out 60 batters in 63 2/3 innings. The Rangers, while still on the market for more bullpen arms, will likely slide Otsuka into a setup role.

Killian, 19, was San Diego's third-round pick in the 2004 draft. He hit .263 with no homers and 14 RBI in 152 at-bats in rookie ball last season.

Young tied a Rangers' rookie record by recording 12 wins last season, but stuggled later in the season with fatigue.

Gonzalez, who was the first overall pick by the Florida Marlins in the 2000 draft, batted .227 in 150 at bats for the Rangers last season. With Mark Teixeira entrenched at first base already, Gonzalez did not have much opportunity in Texas.

Sledge was acquired by the Rangers earlier in the month from the Washington Nationals.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by esCarbonie
I like this idea
Graffanino wasn't supposed to accept arbitration

We just offered it to him so we could get a "between rounds" draft pick when he got signed by anoither team

BUT, I agree... I like it too. Cora, Lorretta, and Graffanino can platoon on 2nd and short... We won't need to trade away anyone if we have a shortstop solution inhouse already...

Infield would be done except for a backup for Youkilis at first... (bring back Olerud?)

We only have till Jan 8th to sign Damon (he refused arbitration), so the outfield should be pretty much deterimed by Jan 8th too...
Old 12-20-2005, 09:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
We only have till Jan 8th to sign Damon (he refused arbitration), so the outfield should be pretty much deterimed by Jan 8th too...
too late, 4 yrs, $52MM , i woulda held out for next years FA CFs
Old 12-20-2005, 10:03 PM

suprised nobody posted this; Jaqcue Jones to the Cubs. I don't like this move the slightest bit. My main focus though is on the Bears, and, come NFL season's end, I'm gonna become miserable thinking about how crappy this team is going to be. So, with Xmas coming and a pretty good Football team to cheer on, I'm not gonna say anymore!

Note; man, if the Cubs kept Jason Dubois, we could've had an all French OF; Dubois, Pierre, Jaqcue
Old 12-20-2005, 10:08 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
woohoo...Yankees get Damon...poor boy is gonna have to get a haircut and cut back on his manicures..How do you make a New Yorker out of Masshole?? Yankees also sign Octavio Dotel, I hope his elbow is ok and is able to hit triple digits like he used to. Pedro might not play in the WBC due to his big toe problem.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:16 PM

could not resist posting this, its from an MLB forum.

"A little food for thought

Team A BA OBP Team B BA OBP
1B .277 .359 .335 .418
2B .278 .342 .305 .355
SS .283 .327 .300 .356
3B .239 .299 .302 .358
RF .265 .329 .249 .319
CF .310 .361 .279 .326
LF .244 .313 .321 .386
C .257 .308 .276 .345

Team A
The 2004 stats for the White Sox starting line up

Team B
The projected 2006 starting lineup for the Cubs. Which according to this board is going to finish dead last in the Central."

thing is though, the Sox...
1. Had an insane 1st half that bailed them out of a miserable 2nd half.
2. Had awesome pitching in the playoffs.
3. Got the luckiest breaks I have ever seen by one team in a sport.
4. Were not known for being very offensive.

just my two cents, feel free to chime in. By the way, I just caught it said 2004, not 2005. I'm sure he meant '05.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:38 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
suprised nobody posted this; Jaqcue Jones to the Cubs. I don't like this move the slightest bit. My main focus though is on the Bears, and, come NFL season's end, I'm gonna become miserable thinking about how crappy this team is going to be. So, with Xmas coming and a pretty good Football team to cheer on, I'm not gonna say anymore!

Note; man, if the Cubs kept Jason Dubois, we could've had an all French OF; Dubois, Pierre, Jaqcue
Jacque puts up nice stats but doesn't get a lot of steals. He had a crappy BA last year too. I've had him for 2 years in a row in Fantasy Baseball and I believe he was pretty productive. I'm assuming he'll bat 2nd but he can get nice power figures.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:10 PM
Safety Car

BUT, I agree... I like it too. Cora, Lorretta, and Graffanino can platoon on 2nd and short... We won't need to trade away anyone if we have a shortstop solution inhouse already...

Infield would be done except for a backup for Youkilis at first... (bring back Olerud?)

word on the platoon. no one out there is worth trading for anyway..

backup at first, Olerud already retired... I like the JT Snow option... lefty who plays good D..

and SEE YA LATER JOHNNY.. douchebag
Old 12-21-2005, 02:06 AM
My M45 loves to eat rice

If Johnny Damon needs a good barber for when he gets to New York, I got the hookup! Johnny, my boy Peter will hook your shit up with a sick skin fade!

Good pickup for the Yankees, but Johnny Damon is a real shithead.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:46 AM
Senior Moderator

But Johnny is a good fit for the yankees... He bats leadoff, he's a center fielder... The yanks could used a leadoff hitter, and need a center fielder..

The Sox just didn't project Damon being a $13M player in the 3rd and 4th years of his contract... Just like Bernie Williams wasn't worth $15M last year... The yanks have the money to spend, so I guess they can afford to pay more then players are worth.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:58 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

But Johnny is a good fit for the yankees... He bats leadoff, he's a center fielder... The yanks could used a leadoff hitter, and need a center fielder..

The Sox just didn't project Damon being a $13M player in the 3rd and 4th years of his contract... Just like Bernie Williams wasn't worth $15M last year... The yanks have the money to spend, so I guess they can afford to pay more then players are worth.
What do you think will happen the first game back at Fenway? Will you Massholes boo him? It is kind of taboo to go directly to the Yankees from the Red Sox and vice versa.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:03 AM
Team Owner

I'm going to boo the shit out of him every chance I get - his was the worst kind of selling out possible.

That said, his bat will be tough to replace, but his arm is a liability, especially in Yankee Stadium's center field. Where's the cutoff man going to be, 100 feet into the outfield? And the Yankees did overpay for him, but when you throw around money like that I guess it doesn't matter.

<-- hopes he goes all Samson when he cuts his hair off.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:10 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

lol..I can't wait to see him with short hair. Overpaid but not as bad as they did Kevin Brown that was ridiculous but atleast Damon will be productive with that short porch in right field. They will be forced to pitch him outside or he'll have like 30 homers this season. Right field line in Yankee Stadium is only 318ft..We'll trade Damon for Ortiz
Old 12-21-2005, 09:12 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CL Platano
lol..I can't wait to see him with short hair. Overpaid but not as bad as they did Kevin Brown that was ridiculous but atleast Damon will be productive with that short porch in right field. They will be forced to pitch him outside or he'll have like 30 homers this season. Right field line in Yankee Stadium is only 318ft..We'll trade Damon for Ortiz
We'll get back to you on that trade.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:22 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CL Platano
I agree that Damon might be a good fit for the Yankees, but I don't think he will be all of a sudden a 30 hr hitter. But thats ok because most Yankees fans think like that.

The RF fence at Fenway is 302ft
Old 12-21-2005, 09:23 AM
‹^› ‹(•ŋ•)› ‹^›

Not entirely sold on Damon ... his numbers have been inflated by playing at Fenway and he has no arm to speak of. Sure he's an upgrade over Bernie but I'll hold judgment until well into next season.

I like the possible Octavio Dotel signing tho ... he was a dominant set-up man for the 'Stros and a pretty solid closer. If he can get his elbow problems squared away (big "if"), he could be a great addition to the bullpen.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:24 AM
Team Owner

Yeah, but that 302 is at the pole, which only covers about 3" of wall. Most of the right field wall is closer to 380'.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:28 AM
Drifting

Good for Damon, who wouldn't want to leave for a more committed team. Boston were being "cheap"

mod edit: removed racial slur and replaced with "cheap"
Old 12-21-2005, 09:36 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

[QUOTE=GIBSON6594]I agree that Damon might be a good fit for the Yankees, but I don't think he will be all of a sudden a 30 hr hitter. But thats ok because most Yankees fans think like that.

The RF fence at Fenway is 302ft[/QUOTE

In 66 games at bats at Yankee Stadium Damon has 11 so if he stays on that pace he'll roughly hit 30 hr. That is a stretch but can be done if they are dumb enough to pitch him inside like all Yankee pitchers do to Ortiz and they proceeds to send the ball 450ft.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:36 AM
likes it raw

Originally Posted by Nugs3
Good for Damon, who wouldn't want to leave for a more committed team. Boston were being "cheap"

mod edit: removed racial slur and replaced with "cheap"
When you've got money to piss away I guess you can be "more committed"

I almost shat myself when I heard Damon's speech. The caveman actually put a few sentences together.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:37 AM
Team Owner

So the Yankee fans are opening him with open arms, even after that grand slam in '04?
Old 12-21-2005, 09:38 AM
Not Asian

On another note, what the heck are the Cards doing siging Ponson?
Old 12-21-2005, 09:41 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Originally Posted by Always Dirty
So the Yankee fans are opening him with open arms, even after that grand slam in '04?
George wanted Damon before he even went to the Red Sox, I welcome him because I expect him to do that against Arroyo and his wonderful pitching abilities everytime the Red Sox come to Yankee Staduim. You can't pitch around him because there is Jeter who will either bunt, ground out to get him over or get a hit , then you got A-Rod and Sheffield following. The lineup looks good , just have to hope the pitching makes it till July.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:42 AM
Team Owner

At this rate I don't think Arroyo is going to be in Boston come spring training either.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:51 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JimmyCarter
When you've got money to piss away I guess you can be "more committed"

I almost shat myself when I heard Damon's speech. The caveman actually put a few sentences together.

Boston not second richest? yet they couldn't pay Pedro, Manny R isn't quite happy with them and Epstein had to beg for a fair contract. Boston could have paid Damon a tad bit higher to keep a guy like Damon on the team but their Fucking cheap asses.

yanks line up

1.) Damon

2.) Jeter

3.) Sheffield

4.) AROD

5.) Giambi

6.) Matsui

7.) Williams

8.) Posada

9.) Cano
Old 12-21-2005, 09:58 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Nugs3
Boston not second richest? yet they couldn't pay Pedro, Manny R isn't quite happy with them and Epstein had to beg for a fair contract. Boston could have paid Damon a tad bit higher to keep a guy like Damon on the team but their Fucking cheap asses.
You're a fucking idiot. Bitter about being the last loser left standing as a Cubs fan, huh?

Quick Reply: Official Baseball Thread