Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NFL: 2010 Season Discussion Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Prove it.

Otherwise, it's all bullshit. And for the record, the police chief and the primary responding officer were black.

Last edited by CocheseUGA; 02-03-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:32 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
You just keep telling yourself that to make you feel better. Color of skin is the ONLY reason he was not arrested. The good ol boy system of the south is still working.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,837 Likes on 13,994 Posts
Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
I'm saying I'm not calling him a murderer.
I'm probably more severe and condemning than you, then.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Banned

Read the edit, then STFU.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Senior Moderator

^ Um, Cochese...keep it civil.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Banned

Well, I know what's coming next.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Senior Moderator

...and jupes isn't the only guy who thinks Big Ben did what he did. Goodell may not be perfect but he slapped the guy with a suspension this year despite "no proof", to quote you.

All that was truly missing in the entire fiasco for Benny was the "guilty" announcement from a judge...which, for circumstances, did not occur.

Whatever...I hope Big Ben learned his lesson because he was stupid to be caught in another situation to start with after what happened in the prior years. And the bigger rub really, whether you want to include Ben in the brush or not, is that winning absolves athletes of all sins. Period.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Yumcha
...and jupes isn't the only guy who thinks Big Ben did what he did. Goodell may not be perfect but he slapped the guy with a suspension this year despite "no proof", to quote you.

All that was truly missing in the entire fiasco for Benny was the "guilty" announcement from a judge...which, for circumstances, did not occur.

Whatever...I hope Big Ben learned his lesson because he was stupid to be caught in another situation to start with after what happened in the prior years. And the bigger rub really, whether you want to include Ben in the brush or not, is that winning absolves athletes of all sins. Period.
He was accused of sexual assault. That's it. That's the extent of facts in the case. Everything else is assumption and personal opinion. Ben got suspended because he put himself, the team and the shield in that position. If there was any concrete proof to tie him to the action, he wouldn't be in the league this year. I think with Goodell's track record, that's safe to assume. The fury of PETA holds no candle to the fury of women's groups.

Since I'm a fan of the team, all I can do to be fair is deal with facts. I was disappointed in what happened, especially after it happened so close to the previous accusation (which, as facts would bear out, may have not been merited as I have stated earlier).

I don't think winning absolves all sins. It makes up for a lot, I will say that. Vick is a good example this year as well. And I especially bristle at accusations that people from my state may be operating under the influence of underlying racial overtones, especially when people who state that don't actually trouble themselves to look at the facts.

There's that word again.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:45 AM
nnInn

Read the edit, then STFU.
The cops you are referring are the local idiots I was referring to. They didn't conduct the investigation, it was the GIB, the good ol boys.

Last edited by jupitersolo; 02-03-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
The cops you are referring are the local idiots I was referring to. They didn't conduct the investigation, it was the GIB, the good ol boys.
It's all the white people's fault. Gotcha.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Senior Moderator

He was accused of sexual assault. That's it. That's the extent of facts in the case. Everything else is assumption and personal opinion. Ben got suspended because he put himself, the team and the shield in that position. If there was any concrete proof to tie him to the action, he wouldn't be in the league this year. I think with Goodell's track record, that's safe to assume. The fury of PETA holds no candle to the fury of women's groups.

Since I'm a fan of the team, all I can do to be fair is deal with facts. I was disappointed in what happened, especially after it happened so close to the previous accusation (which, as facts would bear out, may have not been merited as I have stated earlier).

I don't think winning absolves all sins. It makes up for a lot, I will say that. Vick is a good example this year as well. And I especially bristle at accusations that people from my state may be operating under the influence of underlying racial overtones, especially when people who state that don't actually trouble themselves to look at the facts.

There's that word again.
Valid points...and I think we need to agree to disagree. I just think if it looks and smells like it, it probably is...

And keep in mind that MANY devoted Steelers fans were heartbroken about Big Ben's actions. I read the entire SI magazine article talking about how he ruined it for so many life-long fans...

Who knows what they feel now...But, hey...your team is one win away from winning it all again and retarded or not, Big Ben is about to be mentioned in the same breath as some of the greatest QBs. And that is fine...I'm not questioning his talent.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Valid points...and I think we need to agree to disagree. I just think if it looks and smells like it, it probably is...
Fair. I just think calling someone something that they weren't charged or convicted of is irresponsible. People can think what they want to think, though.

And keep in mind that MANY devoted Steelers fans were heartbroken about Big Ben's actions. I read the entire SI magazine article talking about how he ruined it for so many life-long fans...
Include me into that.

Who knows what they feel now...But, hey...your team is one win away from winning it all again and retarded or not, Big Ben is about to be mentioned in the same breath as some of the greatest QBs. And that is fine...I'm not questioning his talent.
On the field, I wouldn't want anyone else. I hope he redeems himself off the field where my girls won't get odd looks or questions when they wear Steelers jerseys. I'm not buying them or myself Ben jerseys, obviously.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:03 PM
nnInn

It's all the white people's fault. Gotcha.
Well I knew you wouldn't blame the rapist. You keep cheering him on and when someone that's close to you ends up in the same situation (which I hope doesn't happen) and see if you feel the same way.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Banned

In other being stupid news:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6084943
Old 02-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Banned

Well I knew you wouldn't blame the rapist. You keep cheering him on and when someone that's close to you ends up in the same situation (which I hope doesn't happen) and see if you feel the same way.
I prefer to actually have evidence to blame someone with.

If he was charged and/or convicted of a crime, my stance would be different. Exploits on the field don't make up for serious transgressions off of it. I can, however, separate the two. It's not Hines Ward's fault he has a moron for a QB. I'm not going to root against the team because an individual did something wrong.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Banned

As for someone I know having had that happen to, I've actually been on both sides of it (not me, per se). Someone I know was raped, and the person found guilty and is currently in jail. I've also had a friend of mine accused of something similar by someone who had an agenda, and I and four other people were able to prove that what she claimed or thought had happened, really did not.

Because of those things, I can't be swayed by circumstance. I could have easily believed what the girl said if I didn't see with my own two eyes that it was a lie. Not saying by any stretch that the woman was lying, but there are too many variables for me to play judge.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:03 PM
nnInn

I don't blame him for suing, I don't like Snyder as the owner of the team that I have cheered for since I stopped cheering for the Steelers back in '81. But I'm tired of "sports" reporter trying to become the "story" and make themselves bigger than the news they are reporting.

Snyder has done a lot to try and make this team better, they have turned out to be some bad decisions, sure. Then keep it about business and not go after him personally.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:04 PM
nnInn

I like the title our your post so I'm going to use it as well.

In other being stupid news...

http://www.tmz.com/2011/02/03/ben-ro...n-bay-packers/
Old 02-03-2011, 02:07 PM
nnInn

As for someone I know having had that happen to, I've actually been on both sides of it (not me, per se). Someone I know was raped, and the person found guilty and is currently in jail. I've also had a friend of mine accused of something similar by someone who had an agenda, and I and four other people were able to prove that what she claimed or thought had happened, really did not.

Because of those things, I can't be swayed by circumstance. I could have easily believed what the girl said if I didn't see with my own two eyes that it was a lie. Not saying by any stretch that the woman was lying, but there are too many variables for me to play judge.
If it was just the one time in Ga. I might be a little more forgiving, but it's not the first time.

And when a woman says NO, which I belief, then a man should stop. Rape is the worst crime that could be committed against a woman or a child and I think it should be punished with the death penalty. That's why I feel so damn strong about this. I lost a friend to rape, meaning that after it happened to her, she was never the same person.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Banned

I don't blame him for suing, I don't like Snyder as the owner of the team that I have cheered for since I stopped cheering for the Steelers back in '81. But I'm tired of "sports" reporter trying to become the "story" and make themselves bigger than the news they are reporting.

Snyder has done a lot to try and make this team better, they have turned out to be some bad decisions, sure. Then keep it about business and not go after him personally.
From what I read, the reporter was using things attributed by other people and cataloging it in one place. The article I read said very little of what was written in the paper is actually attributable to the paper or the writer. It's like suing someone for reporting what a third party said about you.

As for the drawing, I missed where the devil is anti-Semitic.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Banned

I like the title our your post so I'm going to use it as well.

In other being stupid news...

http://www.tmz.com/2011/02/03/ben-ro...n-bay-packers/
Peter King had something to say about that, and I agree with him.

If it was just the one time in Ga. I might be a little more forgiving, but it's not the first time.

And when a woman says NO, which I belief, then a man should stop. Rape is the worst crime that could be committed against a woman or a child and I think it should be punished with the death penalty. That's why I feel so damn strong about this. I lost a friend to rape, meaning that after it happened to her, she was never the same person.
That sucks, and I mean it. Part of my problem, and I said it on a board I was a member on formerly at the time, is that there is direct evidence against the first accuser that this was by no means sexual assault. A friend of the accuser made a written affidavit in court that she was bragging about having sex with him consensually and hoping she would have a Little Ben.

Now if this is true, then there's no pattern. It's a very delicate line and issue when it comes to claiming something like this. If someone comes forward with a claim against someone, and it's true, then it's the truth and it's justified. But when people claim something like this, and it's not true, the public doesn't care. The person has a rap, and it's one that's very hard to shed. There's usually very little punishment for the person who accuses falsely.

Now, like I said, I don't know what happened in that club that night. But what I do know is that woman was extremely drunk. Someone who is that inebriated doesn't have the best memory. I should know. I was so drunk one night in 2001 that I will swear to you up and down that I did one thing, and my wife will tell you something completely different happened. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt what I remember happened, but I have to trust my wife in the matter because being completely wasted, I can't trust that my version of events is accurate.

As I said before, I'm not sure either party can tell us exactly what happened in there.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:00 PM
nnInn

From what I read, the reporter was using things attributed by other people and cataloging it in one place. The article I read said very little of what was written in the paper is actually attributable to the paper or the writer. It's like suing someone for reporting what a third party said about you.

As for the drawing, I missed where the devil is anti-Semitic.
See that's my point, he's taking his views and views of others to make another report of what already been brought up, it's getting old. It was done just to make fun of Snyder, nothing more. Many of what is stated has nothing to do with him as an owner of the Redskins, but his other business ventures. It was nothing more than an attack piece.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Banned

More info on Ben's night out:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ory?id=6087092
Old 02-03-2011, 03:09 PM
nnInn

$800 bar tab, just dinner?
Old 02-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,464 Likes on 3,058 Posts
Here we go again....

Let me clarify a few things, the first chick to accuse Ben of rape was a lunatic who told everyone that she was going to have "little bens" and only accused him of anything after he wouldn't see her anymore. The second girl was an underage girl with a nametag that said Down to F, and willingly went to the bathroom. Her and her friends stories changed multiple times, not to mention they were so drunk that they could barely speak, let alone write out their statements. As for "being guilty except for a judge declaring him guilty" as yummy said, he was never charged, because there was no evidence. Thank you, come again. Let's discuss the super bowl for fuck's sake.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:42 PM
nnInn

You're going to defend him NO matter what he's done. And he did buy and get an underage woman drunk.........
Old 02-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Amusing article by Steve Rosenbloom of the Tribune: http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotr...ears-look.html

...and what he says is also quite true. And no, this is not about Big Ben.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Banned

You're going to defend him NO matter what he's done. And he did buy and get an underage woman drunk.........
She had a fake ID confiscated at the same bar a few weeks earlier. It's not a stretch to think she got another. Others in the group had some, and led people to beloeve that they were at least 21 There are people reporting that, but I can't find any information in the police report to confirm or deny. Willie Colon is on record stating that he was flirting with a girl until she confessed she was 19.

But, that doesn't fit the argument, does it.

Last edited by CocheseUGA; 02-03-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:55 PM
nnInn

He knows that was more redtext than thought.

But if she did have a fakeID taken from her just a week before, wouldn't they know she shouldn't have been in there?
Old 02-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Banned

Probably one of those things you keep in the office. Milledgeville has so many college kids that even if it was the same door guy,
I wonder if they'd remember a certain face.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:10 PM
nnInn

OK, so that makes me think, how would they remember after the fact?
Old 02-03-2011, 07:18 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Another thing, didn't one of those girls come out and accuse Big Ben of rape, something like a year after it supposedly happened? This may be because as mentioned, he refused to continue to talk to her after a while. It's kinda like getting a ticket once.... as soon as it's on your record, whether or not you're cleared of it in court, you'll have a big asterisk next to your name the next time an officer pulls you over.

I also know someone quite close to me who has been affected by rape, and at the same time, I know someone who was wrongfully deported because of a false rape accusation. Of course in the latter case you can only take that person's word, but the law and the media will usually default to give the woman the benefit of the doubt.

after some brief searching, apparently there was no police report filed, the lawsuit was filed over a year after the incident and it's a multi-million dollar lawsuit

http://hawaiianlibertarian.blogspot....-gold-dig.html

and another thing.... the lawsuit was filed a few months after Roethlisberger's 2nd SB win. One more thing to consider.... does a young, high-profile, SB-winning QB really have to resort to rape now?

It's understandable if this is a delicate subject, but....
Old 02-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Banned

I'll call my LEO buddy and see if my guess is right. Failin that, I'm sure stogie could provide some insight.

I guess during the course of the investigation a picture of the victim was presented to the owner.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:41 PM
nnInn

One thing about does he "have to". He's white trash with money, not Gods gift to women. That woman pictured from the link you posted is what he's use to getting.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Banned

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/ashley-harlan-photos/
Old 02-03-2011, 09:16 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Booze it up Benny!
Old 02-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,464 Likes on 3,058 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
Another thing, didn't one of those girls come out and accuse Big Ben of rape, something like a year after it supposedly happened? This may be because as mentioned, he refused to continue to talk to her after a while. It's kinda like getting a ticket once.... as soon as it's on your record, whether or not you're cleared of it in court, you'll have a big asterisk next to your name the next time an officer pulls you over.

I also know someone quite close to me who has been affected by rape, and at the same time, I know someone who was wrongfully deported because of a false rape accusation. Of course in the latter case you can only take that person's word, but the law and the media will usually default to give the woman the benefit of the doubt.

after some brief searching, apparently there was no police report filed, the lawsuit was filed over a year after the incident and it's a multi-million dollar lawsuit

http://hawaiianlibertarian.blogspot....-gold-dig.html

and another thing.... the lawsuit was filed a few months after Roethlisberger's 2nd SB win. One more thing to consider.... does a young, high-profile, SB-winning QB really have to resort to rape now?

It's understandable if this is a delicate subject, but....
It was also after he was handed $100 million dollar contract and a $20 million bonus. The first accuser was well documented to be a looney tune and was obsessed with him. Frankly I believe that if she hadn't come out with her rape charge, the second chick would have never accused him either. The fact that he was never charged in either incident speaks volumes, the first case wasn't even a criminal investigation, it was a civil suit FOR MONEY. The second one there were never any criminal charges filed, because there was no evidence. There was a thread on here that I detailed lots of this, but that's neither here nor there, the fact is, he was NEVER charged, and he did his "time" with his suspension. The fact that I defend him, is because I'm sick of hearing about it, and I've read WAY more on the subject than any of you have.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
Booze it up Benny!
It's not as if he's an alcoholic.

Kurt Warner thought it was appropriate. http://www.ajc.com/sports/stop-the-p...xntlid=thbz_hm
Old 02-04-2011, 07:19 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
It's not as if he's an alcoholic.

Kurt Warner thought it was appropriate. http://www.ajc.com/sports/stop-the-p...xntlid=thbz_hm

Not sure how you got that from my post, but if you feel the need to defend him......

I can already see all the excuses being readied. You guys will need somebody to blame after Sunday.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:24 AM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
so do most guys at some point in time.

we've been in college.. 18-21 looks the same at some point.. big whoop

Quick Reply: NFL: 2010 Season Discussion Thread