Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NBA players should be paid to play in Olympics?!?

Old 05-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
The NBA can blow me. All the other athletes are just happy to represent their countries in what is considered by many to be one of the greatest athletic competitions in the world.

Bunch of greedy little money-grubbing posers...
Old 05-03-2005, 09:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
That's where we disagree. The last Olympic bball team were a bunch of whiney crybaby bitches. Don't you remember the stories. I give a ton of credit to Larry Brown for what he did with what he had.
Last years team may not have been the best Olympic team to manage, but I have to give them credit for showing up at the least, unlike other all stars who didn't want any part of the Olympics. Thats just lame.

And the fact that some of those noshows might come next time if they got money for it is even more disgusting.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
I'm definitely more in favor of the collegiate ball players representing the Olympics. But if it has to be the NBA players, I say make the NBA champs of that year compete in the Olympics 'cause the chemistry otherwise seems terrible. (Sidenote: I'm aware of the growing number of foreign players in the NBA that may want to represent their home country but too bad...if they're on an NBA champion team then just deal with it)

Just my opinion.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
That's where we disagree. The last Olympic bball team were a bunch of whiney crybaby bitches. Don't you remember the stories. I give a ton of credit to Larry Brown for what he did with what he had.
That bunch of whiny crybabies also embarrassed the hell out of us. The NBA is the biggest bunch of crybabies in the world.

And the idea of tryouts is a great idea. They will allow those who are actually interested in playing in the Olympics play and those who are just interested in money can have their vacation.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:31 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love this line:

"You're dealing with a different animal than the other sports," Allen said. "You've got people who are selling out buildings (venues)..."
IIRC, the interest in the NBA has been dropping steadily for years. You can walk up to almost any ticket window on game night - even now during the playoffs - and buy tickets. I remember reading about the Charlotte Hornets having to move people from the cheap seats down into where the cameras showed just so it didn't look so bad.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:37 AM
My Work is Done Here

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
To add to what I mentioned earlier....

In the olympics, in every other sport (track, swimming, women's softball, skiing, bobsledding, gymnastics, etc.), their event is widely considered to be the pinnacle of their sport. That is the absolute highest point, and as a result it is what the athletes in those events strive for.... to win a gold medal in that event.

In Basketball, the olympic event is not the pinnacle. The NBA is the pinnacle. The NBA is what almost all basketball players strive for. Players from other countries have long used the olympics as a stage to showcase their talent for the NBA (Toni Kukoc, just to name one) in conjunction with winning a gold medal. In that respect, you are dealing with a different animal than the other sports. You are dealing with players who have reached the top, as far as their sport is concerned. Granted, there is something to be said for winning a gold medal, but the significance of doing so is entirely different than any other olympic sport.

That being said, it only serves to explain why "the best players" may not be as eager to go to the olympics as they are in other sports. It does not serve to explain why anyone should be paid to do so.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:38 AM
go like hell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EdgarFanCLS
I hate the NBA.

The honor of playing for the country that puts millions in their pockets should be more than enough for these idiots.
NHL is getting the same way. I was a HUGE NHL fan and now it's all about the money. I tried watching I think it was AHL(american hockey league) just the talent lacks there. I'd rather watch College hockey than that. it's sad to say they don't play because like it they play for the money.
the worst part is most people who pay their salary(like you and I) have a lot worst jobs than playing/practicing Hockey and b-ball all day. Plus the pay they get is insane. what is the min. contract in the NBA. I think in baseball it's 1/2 million a year. for 1/2 million a year that's an awesome deal for the baseball player. all he has to do is just enough to keep from getting bumped down to "farm league" otherwise he's riding the bench collecting his 1/2 a million. .

Professional Sports needs overhauled. restructure the pay. We as fan are getting ripped when you take the family to go to them. This is why I personally sit at home watch them on ABC,NBC,or FOX or whatever channel and not pay 50 bucks a ticket plus 10 bucks to park. for baseball you can't see crap cause you're so high up.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:46 AM
likes it raw

Originally Posted by ccannizz11
To add to what I mentioned earlier....

In the olympics, in every other sport (track, swimming, women's softball, skiing, bobsledding, gymnastics, etc.), their event is widely considered to be the pinnacle of their sport. That is the absolute highest point, and as a result it is what the athletes in those events strive for.... to win a gold medal in that event.

In Basketball, the olympic event is not the pinnacle. The NBA is the pinnacle. The NBA is what almost all basketball players strive for. Players from other countries have long used the olympics as a stage to showcase their talent for the NBA (Toni Kukoc, just to name one) in conjunction with winning a gold medal. In that respect, you are dealing with a different animal than the other sports. You are dealing with players who have reached the top, as far as their sport is concerned. Granted, there is something to be said for winning a gold medal, but the significance of doing so is entirely different than any other olympic sport.

That being said, it only serves to explain why "the best players" may not be as eager to go to the olympics as they are in other sports. It does not serve to explain why anyone should be paid to do so.
MLB is the pinnacle for baseball, but Olympic baseball players don't whine about the money. The World Cup is the pinnacle for soccer (or Serie A, Premier League, etc) but you don't hear those players whine about wanting to get paid to play.

Arguably, playing on the olympic team should be more prestigious to the NBA player than making the All Star team...it is certainly more selective these days. However, since there's no money involved, they don't seem to give a flying fuck.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,663 Likes on 13,899 Posts
Originally Posted by JimmyCarter
MLB is the pinnacle for baseball, but Olympic baseball players don't whine about the money. The World Cup is the pinnacle for soccer (or Serie A, Premier League, etc) but you don't hear those players whine about wanting to get paid to play.

Arguably, playing on the olympic team should be more prestigious to the NBA player than making the All Star team...it is certainly more selective these days. However, since there's no money involved, they don't seem to give a flying fuck.

And to prove it, they sure the heck didn't play like they give a flying fark...
Old 05-03-2005, 12:10 PM
My Work is Done Here

Who's whining about money??? One player suggests additional incentive in the form of money, not even for himself, just as a concept, and suddenly they're whining about money? Granted its not the best suggestion, but it's no reason to hate the guy and call him a whiner and whatnot.

And it's my understanding that in olympic baseball, players are not hand picked from the league to play in the olympics like they are in basketball. And the World Cup is not an organized league that lasts for 8 months, it's an event extremely similar to the olympics.

I'm not saying that players should get paid or anything, just that Ray Allen is right, basketball is an entirely different animal than any other sport in the olympics.

That's why I said it was sad in my previous posts that some people would need that incentive. But it doesn't make them bad people just because they are the best out there yet still don't want to go to the olympics.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:16 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Water-S
NHL is getting the same way. I was a HUGE NHL fan and now it's all about the money. I tried watching I think it was AHL(american hockey league) just the talent lacks there. I'd rather watch College hockey than that. it's sad to say they don't play because like it they play for the money.
the worst part is most people who pay their salary(like you and I) have a lot worst jobs than playing/practicing Hockey and b-ball all day. Plus the pay they get is insane. what is the min. contract in the NBA. I think in baseball it's 1/2 million a year. for 1/2 million a year that's an awesome deal for the baseball player. all he has to do is just enough to keep from getting bumped down to "farm league" otherwise he's riding the bench collecting his 1/2 a million. .
Have any 2005 newspapers made their way out to you yet?
Old 05-03-2005, 12:22 PM
likes it raw

Who's whining about money??? One player suggests additional incentive in the form of money, not even for himself, just as a concept, and suddenly they're whining about money? Granted its not the best suggestion, but it's no reason to hate the guy and call him a whiner and whatnot.

And it's my understanding that in olympic baseball, players are not hand picked from the league to play in the olympics like they are in basketball. And the World Cup is not an organized league that lasts for 8 months, it's an event extremely similar to the olympics.

I'm not saying that players should get paid or anything, just that Ray Allen is right, basketball is an entirely different animal than any other sport in the olympics.
It's not a question of hand-picking the team - that changes nothing about the situation. They're not forced to try out nor are they contractually obliged. They should be lucky to get an offer to come try out and play.

If these guys dont want to play then they shouldn't play, they can go sit at their pool all summer for all I care. If they don't appreciate the opportunity then fuck 'em. The fact that money was ever even mentioned is where the problem is.

The World Cup is an event, but the soccer leagues I mentioned are full time, with most having longer seasons than the NBA anyway.

Basketball is no different from any other pro sport found in the olympics in any way other than the ignorance of the players.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:40 PM
My Work is Done Here

Just so everyone knows, Pro Sports players have contractual obligations during the off season that don't involve playing their sport. They are getting paid to do more than just play the game (see: why Ricky Williams doesnt like pro football).

For most, it's not a question of appreciation, it's a question of recovery time. For baseball, the olympics happen during the pro season. For basketball, to play at that level of comptetition for 8 months, then go to the olympics in the off season has nothing to do with them wanting to represent their country. So they shouldn't have to feel lucky to be asked. They may feel lucky, they may even want to, but they may also be limited. Certainly there are some players (in every sport) who are motivated solely by money, but it is not the norm.

For soccer, I would think that the leagues aren't quite at the level of the World Cup. But I know little about soccer because it's played by a bunch of pussies.

But that still doesn't answer the question...

Old 05-03-2005, 12:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LLWesMan
When I respond to a thread, I normally assume someone who is going to hop in a start talking shit is actually going to read the thread before they start going off. Nice going tough guy.
When someone is going to call someone a clown based on their comment, I assume that person is going to quote them. Nice try, assclown.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:48 PM
likes it raw

"Who's whining about money??? One player suggests additional incentive in the form of money, not even for himself, just as a concept, and suddenly they're whining about money? Granted its not the best suggestion, but it's no reason to hate the guy and call him a whiner and whatnot."
Did you see the way they acted and played during the last Olympics???

For soccer, I would think that the leagues aren't quite at the level of the World Cup. But I know little about soccer because it's played by a bunch of pussies.
Funny you're defending basketball but calling soccer a pussy sport.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:05 PM
My Work is Done Here

Did you see the way they acted and played during the last Olympics???
I saw the way they played, like a bunch of individuals thrown together at the last minute with no chemistry.

But not sure what you mean by how they acted?

Funny you're defending basketball but calling soccer a pussy sport.
oh the irony
Old 05-03-2005, 01:08 PM
Team Owner

Hockey > Basketball
Old 05-03-2005, 01:21 PM
My Work is Done Here

Originally Posted by Always Dirty
Hockey > Basketball
:shakehead damn canadians!

Old 05-03-2005, 01:23 PM
likes it raw

I saw the way they played, like a bunch of individuals thrown together at the last minute with no chemistry.

But not sure what you mean by how they acted?

oh the irony
They acted morose, whiney and self absorbed (with, shockingly, Iverson being one of the only exceptions to the rule)
They played like a bunch of prima donnas with absolutely no concept of the sport of basketball as a team game.

The irony? Compare a soccer foul to an NBA foul and tell me who the pussies are
Old 05-03-2005, 01:29 PM
My Work is Done Here

They acted morose, whiney and self absorbed (with, shockingly, Iverson being one of the only exceptions to the rule)
They played like a bunch of prima donnas with absolutely no concept of the sport of basketball as a team game.

The irony? Compare a soccer foul to an NBA foul and tell me who the pussies are
You want me to compare the foul or the players' reaction? In soccer, every foul results in a broken leg, unless there is a chance to score a goal off a quick restart, in which case, the referee's whistle merely has signaled to the player that they are allowed to fondle the ball with their hands. In Basketball, no foul is ever committed by the player that is whistled, ever. The ref is always wrong.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:30 PM
likes it raw

You want me to compare the foul or the players' reaction? In soccer, every foul results in a broken leg, unless there is a chance to score a goal off a quick restart, in which case, the referee's whistle merely has signaled to the player that they are allowed to fondle the ball with their hands. In Basketball, no foul is ever committed by the player that is whistled, ever. The ref is always wrong.
You've watched alot of soccer games huh?
Old 05-03-2005, 01:34 PM
My Work is Done Here

You've watched alot of soccer games huh?

enough to last a lifetime
Old 05-03-2005, 03:11 PM
Ahhhhhhhh

Originally Posted by F23A4
I'm definitely more in favor of the collegiate ball players representing the Olympics. But if it has to be the NBA players, I say make the NBA champs of that year compete in the Olympics 'cause the chemistry otherwise seems terrible. (Sidenote: I'm aware of the growing number of foreign players in the NBA that may want to represent their home country but too bad...if they're on an NBA champion team then just deal with it)

Just my opinion.
That would work except that if you count exhibitions the Olympic team plays games for more than a month, believe it or not basketball players actually do need a few months of offseason rest and conditioning and according to several NBA players and analysts it would be a huge disadvantage to the NBA champion team in the upcoming season.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:14 PM
Ahhhhhhhh

Originally Posted by TLover
When someone is going to call someone a clown based on their comment, I assume that person is going to quote them. Nice try, assclown.
Get over it.