Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NBA players should be paid to play in Olympics?!?

Old 05-02-2005, 07:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,859 Likes on 14,004 Posts
Thumbs down NBA players should be paid to play in Olympics?!?

Well, according to Ray Allen...

I guess patriotism means squat to him...?

===============

Allen: Paying players could help Team USA
FOXSports.com

Apparently just playing for the honor of your country might not be enough for some NBA players.

Sonics guard Ray Allen says USA Basketball should consider paying NBA players to play in the Olympics, according to a report in The Seattle Times.

Allen said that Suns chairman Jerry Colangelo, who was picked to oversee USA Basketball through the 2008 Games in Beijing, should effectively abandon the idea of having tryouts and pay players instead.

"You're dealing with a different animal than the other sports," Allen said. "You've got people who are selling out buildings (venues) and if you want these particular (NBA) players there, how do you get them there?"

With the overload of information (read: videotape) available on most players, asking a star such as Shaquille O'Neal to try out for the Olympic team might simply be a waste of time.

"When we did that when we were in college, you don't really know who can play. You're playing in a system," said Allen, who scored a career playoff-high 45 points Sunday in the Sonics' 115-103 victory over Sacramento in Game 4. "A lot of guys have proven what they can do. You mean to tell me you're going to make Shaq try out? I don't think so."

But Allen insists he isn't suggesting players deserve to be paid for representing their country, it's just that paying them might entice the most talented ones to participate in the '08 Games.

"I'm by no means saying I need to get paid," he said, "but you're talking about some of these young players who are some of the best players in the world and why would they want to play in the summer?"

Allen won a gold medal while playing for the U.S. at the Sydney Games in 2000. Two years ago, he played on the team that qualified, and later won a bronze medal at last summer's Athens Olympics. But he feels most NBA veterans simply need the summer to rest and prepare for the next season.

"Most athletes, they hunger for the Olympics every four years. They spend their lives wanting to get there and that's what they want to do.

"But we're different. We just finished an 82-game season and we want to chill out. People put so much pressure on NBA players, that you should be playing for your country, but you don't realize that many of us just want to do nothing in the summer."

Allen said he didn't know how much players should be paid for participating, but that the money could be generated from merchandise that is sold featuring NBA stars.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:00 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Ray Allen made 14.6 million this year. If I remember correctly the whole Olympic trip is paid for but I guess he needs money to properly represent his country.

Ray Allen = Go fuck himself
Old 05-02-2005, 08:06 PM
Professional Lurker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"you don't realize that many of us just want to do nothing in the summer."

Yea I want to do nothing all summer too, but that ended around sixth grade Ray..... :shakehead
Old 05-02-2005, 08:06 PM
Banned

The only thing they should get is an insurance policy in case they suffer a major injury.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:08 PM
All your base belong to

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, because they don't get paid enough in their normal salaries.

Smartass remarks aside, I can see how it could be a small insurance premium for them incase they got injured and could not fulfill their contract with their team.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:21 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
They shouldn't be paid any differently than any of the other athletes.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:45 PM
My Home Planet

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
NBA players = prissy little bitches
Old 05-02-2005, 08:54 PM
Ahhhhhhhh

Originally Posted by Yumchah
Well, according to Ray Allen...

I guess patriotism means squat to him...?

===============

Allen: Paying players could help Team USA
FOXSports.com

Apparently just playing for the honor of your country might not be enough for some NBA players.

Sonics guard Ray Allen says USA Basketball should consider paying NBA players to play in the Olympics, according to a report in The Seattle Times.

Allen said that Suns chairman Jerry Colangelo, who was picked to oversee USA Basketball through the 2008 Games in Beijing, should effectively abandon the idea of having tryouts and pay players instead.

"You're dealing with a different animal than the other sports," Allen said. "You've got people who are selling out buildings (venues) and if you want these particular (NBA) players there, how do you get them there?"

With the overload of information (read: videotape) available on most players, asking a star such as Shaquille O'Neal to try out for the Olympic team might simply be a waste of time.

"When we did that when we were in college, you don't really know who can play. You're playing in a system," said Allen, who scored a career playoff-high 45 points Sunday in the Sonics' 115-103 victory over Sacramento in Game 4. "A lot of guys have proven what they can do. You mean to tell me you're going to make Shaq try out? I don't think so."

But Allen insists he isn't suggesting players deserve to be paid for representing their country, it's just that paying them might entice the most talented ones to participate in the '08 Games.

"I'm by no means saying I need to get paid," he said, "but you're talking about some of these young players who are some of the best players in the world and why would they want to play in the summer?"

Allen won a gold medal while playing for the U.S. at the Sydney Games in 2000. Two years ago, he played on the team that qualified, and later won a bronze medal at last summer's Athens Olympics. But he feels most NBA veterans simply need the summer to rest and prepare for the next season.

"Most athletes, they hunger for the Olympics every four years. They spend their lives wanting to get there and that's what they want to do.

"But we're different. We just finished an 82-game season and we want to chill out. People put so much pressure on NBA players, that you should be playing for your country, but you don't realize that many of us just want to do nothing in the summer."

Allen said he didn't know how much players should be paid for participating, but that the money could be generated from merchandise that is sold featuring NBA stars.

You dipshits, it says right there that he isn't saying he wants to be paid.

Read the article next time you clowns.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LLWesMan
You dipshits, it says right there that he isn't saying he wants to be paid.

Read the article next time you clowns.
Um, i think YOU need to read the article. He said he doesn't NEED to get paid, in other words, he doesn't NEED the money. There's a difference between WANT and NEED, you CLOWN.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:02 PM
Ahhhhhhhh

Originally Posted by TLover
Um, i think YOU need to read the article. He said he doesn't NEED to get paid, in other words, he doesn't NEED the money. There's a difference between WANT and NEED, you CLOWN.
I think you need to shut the fuck up CLOWN, this guy right here said that:

Originally Posted by cob3683
Ray Allen made 14.6 million this year. If I remember correctly the whole Olympic trip is paid for but I guess he needs money to properly represent his country.

Ray Allen = Go fuck himself
While it clearly says above that he doesn't NEED the money. So get the fuck off my back.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:04 PM
Burn some dust here

Old 05-02-2005, 09:06 PM
Ahhhhhhhh

Originally Posted by cob3683
In my above post I quote where Allen says he doesn't need the money. The quote that you mentioned seems to be Allen's answer to a question during an interview about how much they should be paid.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:16 PM
Burn some dust here

I'm talking about the segment that was ESPN earlier where it sounded like he wanted money. In this article it seems he thinks they should but sounds like he doesnt want any.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:40 PM
MuayThai scrappa

I would rather for them to get paid and actually play in the olympics than all the best players in the NBA NOT going AT ALL and the USA losing to other countries.Thats pathetic that the best players could have killed any other country by at least 30, and a bunch of our bums got whooped up on(no disrespect to A.I)
Old 05-03-2005, 12:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,859 Likes on 14,004 Posts
Wait wait...did LLWesMan just call me a clown?
Old 05-03-2005, 01:16 AM
Safety Car

i hope argentina whips the usa again. actually i hope any country whips the usa. they should use college players again and stop this nba bs.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LLWesMan
I think you need to shut the fuck up CLOWN, this guy right here said that:

While it clearly says above that he doesn't NEED the money. So get the fuck off my back.
Well, you didn't quote him, assclown. So why don't you learn to properly argue your point, dipshit.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:32 AM
Suzuka Master

do each of you little brats need timeouts?
Old 05-03-2005, 01:46 AM
1999 CL3.0

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
e-thugin !
Old 05-03-2005, 02:54 AM
Ahhhhhhhh

Originally Posted by TLover
Well, you didn't quote him, assclown. So why don't you learn to properly argue your point, dipshit.
When I respond to a thread, I normally assume someone who is going to hop in a start talking shit is actually going to read the thread before they start going off. Nice going tough guy.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:46 AM
Master Graphic Artist

assclown, that's a new one that goes along with asshat.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:42 AM
Masshole

I hate the NBA.

The honor of playing for the country that puts millions in their pockets should be more than enough for these idiots.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:46 AM
likes it raw

Maybe if we had the kids out there who wanted to play they'd win a game or two

This, ladies and gentleman, is why the NBA sucks.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Fuck em all. Let the college kids play.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:56 AM
Suzuka Master

I actually don't know why NBA players are ALLOWED to play in the Olympics. I thought the Olympics was for amateurs. Haven't contestants in other sports been disqualified for getting paid at one time or another? I could be wrong...
Old 05-03-2005, 08:57 AM
"L-I-V-I-N"

I know, fuck the NBA I can't even stand watching it anyway. Field a college squad. College sports are the highest level of sports worth watching.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:57 AM
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
"But Allen insists he isn't suggesting players deserve to be paid for representing their country, it's just that paying them might entice the most talented ones to participate in the '08 Games."

Thats exactly what the problem is. Why would players who get paid here play for free when there is a chance or getting injured. If they do get paid, then they will want to play harder.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:59 AM
likes it raw

Originally Posted by badboy
"But Allen insists he isn't suggesting players deserve to be paid for representing their country, it's just that paying them might entice the most talented ones to participate in the '08 Games."

Thats exactly what the problem is. Why would players who get paid here play for free when there is a chance or getting injured. If they do get paid, then they will want to play harder.
Because its the FUCKING OLYMPICS!

People in every other sport train their whole lives for the chance to go and represent their country as the best around but these spoiled ghetto fabulous assholes need more?
Old 05-03-2005, 09:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Just another American showing their true colors.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Allen makes it sound like he's doing us a favor. Thanks fucknut, but go home to your mansion and 37 cars and sit on your fatass during the offseason.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:08 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Just another American showing their true colors.
If I had a chance of playing in the olympics, I would without a doubt, because i have the love for the game, I don't need money to get me to play.

Having said that, nba players don't think like I do, they are spoiled, and to get them to play money is an incentive.

Another factor is also the team they are playing for, they have a contract signed with them and the team might not let them play because of potential to get injured. Why do you think all the good players don't play anywhere but the NBA??
Check the roster for the last olympics....
Old 05-03-2005, 09:08 AM
Masshole

Originally Posted by Caliadria
I actually don't know why NBA players are ALLOWED to play in the Olympics. I thought the Olympics was for amateurs. Haven't contestants in other sports been disqualified for getting paid at one time or another? I could be wrong...
Because for many years, prior to 1992, there were many athletes coming to compete from other countries who by all definitions were professional athletes. Their employers were their governments, especially in the communist nations, who funded them and their programs 100%. These guys didn't have jobs... their jobs were the sports they competed in, so in a sense it was only fair to allow NBA players and all other professional athletes to compete.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:11 AM
My Work is Done Here

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JimmyCarter
Because its the FUCKING OLYMPICS!

People in every other sport train their whole lives for the chance to go and represent their country as the best around but these spoiled ghetto fabulous assholes need more?

In every other sport in the olympics the US fields a team that wants to go to play for their country. They field people who spend all their time training for their event in the olympics.

With Basketball, it's different. The US hand-picks the team out of the best players in the world, tells them that they are going to the olympics, then has them "tryout". It tells NBA players that they are obligated to go, simply because they are the best players we can find. They don't tell NBA players, "hey, if you want to go to the olympics, come try out." They tell them, "Congrats, you've been selected to play in the olympics" as if the NBA season was their qualifying round. Why? Because we can't stand losing.

That being said, I don't think paying anybody would help much. I think they should just stop with the whole dream team thing, and truly let players tryout, whether they come from college, the NBA, or Rucker park..... make them all try out, and select the best of the bunch that decided they wanted to go bad enough to try out in the first place.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Having said that, nba players don't think like I do, they are spoiled, and to get them to play money is an incentive.
I refer to my previous post. Do you think they are doing us a favor playing in the Olympics? Fuck em, let some talented HS or college kids play. Who cares what the outcome is, at least we know they aren't a bunch of whiney bitches complaining that they have to take time out of their busy schedule to grace us with their presence.

Another factor is also the team they are playing for, they have a contract signed with them and the team might not let them play because of potential to get injured. Why do you think all the good players don't play anywhere but the NBA??
Check the roster for the last olympics....
What does paying them have to do with their existing contracts? Their owner doesn't want them to play? Fine, don't play, but don't tell me that paying them will appease their owner.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:15 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd say 75% of Basketball players these days are overpaid, uneducated, spoiled kids. If they didnt have basketball, they wouldnt have a pot to piss in.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:15 AM
likes it raw

Originally Posted by ccannizz11
In every other sport in the olympics the US fields a team that wants to go to play for their country. They field people who spend all their time training for their event in the olympics.

With Basketball, it's different. The US hand-picks the team out of the best players in the world, tells them that they are going to the olympics, then has them "tryout". It tells NBA players that they are obligated to go, simply because they are the best players we can find. They don't tell NBA players, "hey, if you want to go to the olympics, come try out." They tell them, "Congrats, you've been selected to play in the olympics" as if the NBA season was their qualifying round. Why? Because we can't stand losing.

That being said, I don't think paying anybody would help much. I think they should just stop with the whole dream team thing, and truly let players tryout, whether they come from college, the NBA, or Rucker park..... make them all try out, and select the best of the bunch that decided they wanted to go bad enough to try out in the first place.
If they don't want to play they don't have to go to the tryout.
Heaven forbid we put the guilt and burden of representing the country on an NBA star. Like we really want to promote any of them as representatives of our country in the first place.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:26 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
I refer to my previous post. Do you think they are doing us a favor playing in the Olympics? Fuck em, let some talented HS or college kids play. Who cares what the outcome is, at least we know they aren't a bunch of whiney bitches complaining that they have to take time out of their busy schedule to grace us with their presence.

What does paying them have to do with their existing contracts? Their owner doesn't want them to play? Fine, don't play, but don't tell me that paying them will appease their owner.

I am agreeing with you.
It is messed up that they need money to play for the country. I am not saying we should pay them. I have respect for the team we had last year, and all the previous years who played in the Olympics representing the USA. They have the love for the game as well as love for the country to accept suck a privileged opportunity. I would also rather see someone who wants to play rather than someone who will only play if they were offered money. Fuck em.

The point Allen is making is that if they were offered money, they would play in the Olympics. He is correct, we would see many players playing if that happens.

I sure as hell hope that doesn't happen cause thats just fucked up.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:29 AM
My Work is Done Here

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JimmyCarter
If they don't want to play they don't have to go to the tryout.
Heaven forbid we put the guilt and burden of representing the country on an NBA star. Like we really want to promote any of them as representatives of our country in the first place.
Exactly. All Ray Allen was saying was that, if they truly wanted to get those players who might not want to go, then paying them might get them to go. He was saying "If we want them to go because they're the best, and they don't want to go, then pay them."

It's has nothing to do with Ray Allen being spoiled or anything, he's simply talking about extra incentive, because for people who don't make the olympics the focus of all their training, they need extra incentive to get them to go.

It's sad that certain people would need that extra incentive, because the ones without the talent (we) would jump at the chance to represent our country. But people aren't bad people just because they wouldn't do the same.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:29 AM
Senior Moderator

I am agreeing with you.
It is messed up that they need money to play for the country. I am not saying we should pay them. I have respect for the team we had last year, and all the previous years who played in the Olympics representing the USA. They have the love for the game as well as love for the country to accept suck a privileged opportunity. I would also rather see someone who wants to play rather than someone who will only play if they were offered money. Fuck em.

The point Allen is making is that if they were offered money, they would play in the Olympics. He is correct, we would see many players playing if that happens.

I sure as hell hope that doesn't happen cause thats just fucked up.
That's where we disagree. The last Olympic bball team were a bunch of whiney crybaby bitches. Don't you remember the stories. I give a ton of credit to Larry Brown for what he did with what he had.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:31 AM
Masshole

I like the idea of tryouts for the Olympic basketball team.

Have the NBA players who want to compete show up to tryout. I bet there's plenty of NBA guys who've gotten glossed over in the past who'd love a shot to compete for a gold medal. You'd be able to put a real team on the court, not just a big set of individuals who don't want to be there.

Quick Reply: NBA players should be paid to play in Olympics?!?