Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NBA: 2008 Season Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i don't really like the trade for the suns, but I guess i haven't really liked them since the shaq trade and d'antoni leaving, so I don't really care. Seemed like the last thing they needed was another guy to jack up shots. I haven't really seen richardson play since he left GS though.

diaw was grossly overpaid though, but when you're sitting behind shaq and amare, I guess it might be hard to get in rhythm. I hope he gets more playing time in charlotte.

darius miles is working out for the clips I said at the beginning of the season I wanted to see him back w/ the clips, if anything just to piss of portland. I'd still be surprised if they sign him though. Should've tried to get qrich from the knicks too and get the head bumpers back together.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:23 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,314 Likes on 967 Posts
Diaw banked off that one year that Amare got hurt. I had him in my fantasy league and that guy was a triple double threat every night. He was buried and kept losing playing time the years after.

QRich cannot shoot this year. I've been looking at him hard but he sometimes have these 1-7 and 2-8 3pt shooting nights. He is just off.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im so sick of quality players getting traded from their shitty eastern conference teams to the west. What did Pau Gasol get traded for? Essentially nothing....Same deal with this suns trade, they traded role players for the best player on a shitty team, becasue thats what we need out here in the west where it takes 50+ wins to get into the playoffs.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Banned

Doom I heard that Boozer is going to leave the Jazz to come play for the heat next year, that would take care of a lot of their problems inside and if they can hold onto Wade, that's two Olympians on one team, could be a very good thing.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Drifting

I still think the cats came out the better of the deal. I guess we'd have to see them play, but bell was the starting SG on a very good playoff team, and probably their best perimeter defender. Diaw has the potential to be a decent PF, w/ good passing ability. And singletary pretty much backed one of the best PG in the game, since dragic hasn't progress quite as fast as they thought. I think w/ extra depth at PG now, they can also trade Felton, for maybe a decent quality big.

I guess I don't really know what dudely can bring to phoenix, but I still don't see how getting an offensive weapon helps the suns, if they're trying to be defensively minded. but i'm sure they were happy to get rid of diaw's contract.

I hear the boozer stuff will always be speculated cause miami is his home, and he spends a lot of time there. I wouldn't be surprised to see him there, since the heat should be able to clear a lot of space this year, unless a trade for marion goes down before then. Utah could be willing let him walk cause millsap has been playing so well. I doubt either team is thinking too much about next summer already.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:00 AM
Banned

Blazers loose three straight......oh no we suck again!!!!!!
Old 12-13-2008, 06:50 AM
Drifting

that was an amazing game...

clippers did everything to lose at the end of regulation. I couldn't believe blake missed like 4 of 5 free throws.

clips still don't really know how to close a game. The longer the game went favored the clips since they haven't played since monday, and portland played a tough game on the road yesterday. Hopefully this win at least gives them some confidence to start playing better, but they were ridiculously lucky.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Team Owner

I think some of the trades that seem lop sided are motivated by the Class of 2010. Remember that a lot of these stars already have big contracts and don't expire anytime soon. I'm not sure on the J-Rich/Diaw/Bell trade though since I haven't read up on their contract statuses or anything.

Yeah I've heard about the Boozer thing for a while. However, it seems like that if he came now it would be as a center and they'd play Beasley at PF. Unfortunately Haslem would be the odd man out and not only is he a bargain and local guy (went to high school at Miami High), he's one of those guys that busts his ass that you love on your team.

C Boozer
PF Beasley
SF James Jones/Diawara
SG Wade
PG Chalmers

The scorers would be Wade, Boozer, and Beasley. Jones can shoot the 3 and Diawara is the stud defender. Chalmers is nice defensively at PG as is Wade (except vs Mayo). You haven't heard about Jones because he's hurt. This lineup could be a force in 2 years when Beasley has developed more.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:37 AM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by scholtew
Doom I heard that Boozer is going to leave the Jazz to come play for the heat next year, that would take care of a lot of their problems inside and if they can hold onto Wade, that's two Olympians on one team, could be a very good thing.
Wow...This is new to me. I'm guessing that Shawn will be traded?
Old 12-17-2008, 07:26 AM
Team Owner

Well Shawn has to be the one traded to make it work. I just don't know if anyone wants to give Shawn superstar money. For example I had him on my fantasy team and I traded him for Elton Brand. Even with Brand's struggles he's getting killed stat-wise. I noticed last year he'd have very few 20 point games and had a lot of 2-5 10pt games. He's just not a good scorer in our system. He banked off that year that Amare was hurt but I'm starting to see system in his stats. Look at how much NY is scoring now. Freaking Chris Duhon is among league leaders in assists.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Anyone watching the Celts - Hawks? Awesome game..
Old 12-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftyFive
Anyone watching the Celts - Hawks? Awesome game..
great game... Celtics needed a tough one like this, especially on a winning streak. They could use this game to push themselves even harder...

I think the Lakers are gonna get some coal under their trees, courtesy of the Celtics next week...
Old 12-17-2008, 09:07 PM
Engineer

from the LA Times...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...rd-fact-i.html

The hard fact is: The LA Lakers are soft

Memo to writers, reporters, critics, pundits, "Lakers Live" and Laker fans the world over:

Please spare us the endless talk and the annoying daily handwringing over the Lakers’ lack of defense or their failure to be aggressive. Don’t just read what I’m about to tell you, embrace it. Take it to heart. Accept it as an inalienable truth.

The Lakers are still softer than a Johnny Mathis love song. They're "Chances Are" in sneakers.

The Lakers are still softer than the baby powder Kevin Garnett claps into the faces of the Celtics’ courtside timekeepers.

The Celtics have the eye of the tiger, the Lakers have the eye of the pussycat.

For instance: When Paul Pierce goes out at night, he gets stabbed. When Sasha goes out, he gets his tips colored. Or buys a new headband.

Do you know what happened at a Celtics game the other night? Garnett screamed and berated Glen Davis, making him actually cry.

Davis is as big as your house and the Big Ticket is so mean, he made the kid cry like, well, a Big Baby.

Lamar Odom throws a pass to no one except Sasha Vujacic standing in front of the bench, they both have a good giggle over it. The Lakers are just cute.

There’s no crying in Laker basketball, just giggling.

When the Celtics squeeze something, it’s their opponents’ skulls. When the Lakers squeeze something, it’s probably the Charmin.

Lamar goes on the radio with Vic the Brick, you know what they talk about? Skin products! I swear to Jergens!

The Celtics want to tear your head off, the Lakers are looking for a nice moistening cream. Their power forward is an expert on Aloe and cocoa butter.

That’s why they should have gotten Ron Artest when they had the chance. I’m pretty sure the only skin products Artest likes are the ones Hannibal Lecter used.

The Lakers make a personnel move, they draft Sun Yue, a sweetheart from China. Sun Yue? I would have signed Charles Oakley, and I don’t care if he’s 50 years old! No one messes with the Oak.

Garnett is from the south side of Chicago, Pierce is from Inglewood. Tough places, mean streets. The Lakers? They come from Spain and Slovenia

and Serbia. The only streets the Lakers know are Melrose and Beverly Drive for shopping.

The Lakers have 3 soft Euros, a guy (Luke Walton) who lives at the beach and a guy who can tell you which is a better product, Nivea or Neutrogena.

Is it any wonder they got Ashton Kutchered, punked, in the NBA Finals?

When a Celtic has a fit of pique, he makes a teammate cry. When a Laker has a violent impulse, he throws birthday cake. Like Kwame Brown always said, watch out for that whipped cream and frosting, they're natural born killers!

All the Lakers hear for days on end, ad nauseam, is how they have to toughen up. How do they respond? Lamar and Trevor Ariza break out new bright yellow headbands! Then they give up 200 points to the Sacramento Kings. That’ll show em!

Who is the Lakers’ conditioning coach, Richard Simmons?

One of the Suns drove Wednesday night with Bynum, 290 pounds, bigger than an apartment building, standing right there. The lane opened wide, with the driving Sun followed by the Queen Mary. Did Bynum put the guy on his butt? Did he send a message that this is my lane and my house and no one dunks on us here?

No, he just watched him. In fact, Bynum stopped just short of clasping his hands together so the guy could jump off them like a trampoline, the way you boost a child over a fence. Or holding up a "10" card to praise the dunk.

Bynum offered less resistance than Oscar de la Hoya.

Look, the point here is, the Lakers are who they are. And their team is what it is. Asking them to be mean and tough and hard and nasty and physical is like asking Oprah to be thin or George Bush to be smart. It’s not in their DNA.

They’re not McFilthy and McNasty, they’re McWimpy and McSoftee.

The Celtics and Lakers can even be defined by their color analysts. Tom Heinsohn is a hulking beast who looks like a hitman. Mychal Thompson is from the Bahamas and wears sandals and puka shells. Heinsohn is Tony Soprano, Thompson is Bob Marley.

If the Celtics had Laker Girls, they would be Janet Reno and Madeline Albright.

The Lakers are fast and fun and athletic and entertaining and pretty as can be. I love the Lakers! I say, to heck with the tacos! Headbands for everyone! Or free passes to Lamar's favorite day spa.

Let them score 120, give up 110 and we can all all go home happy, without the angst.

As Paul McCartney was just telling me, Let It Be.

Think of it like this: The Celtics are Rottweilers, the Lakers French Poodles. The Celtics bite your arm off. The Lakers win Best in Show.

If the Celtics were a video game, they'd be Grand Theft Auto. The Lakers are Tickle Me Elmo.

In movie terms, the Lakers are Paul Newman, the Celtics Charles Bronson. Newman made better movies, aesthetically he was the one you wanted to watch and paid to see.

Except of course that it was Bronson who kills everyone in the end.

-- Ted Green

Ted Green used to cover the Lakers for the L.A. Times. He is now Senior Sports Producer for KTLA Prime News.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:36 AM
Team Owner

Saw some of that game when I had to dry my kids after their bath. Pretty entertaining game.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by savage
of course the KTLA sports guy is going to call the lakers soft. Everyone knows KTLA is the home of the Clippers

bad loss for the clips yesterday in OT, and camby's career high 27 rebounds was a good effort.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Banned

Blazers are on TV tonight against the Suns, TNT at 730 for anyone staying up and watching basketball on a Thursday night.

That Celtic Hawks game yesterday was fantastic, cant believe Johnson missed that freethrow, I really wanted to see overtime.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Drifting

should be a good game. Is shaq going to play? shaq vs. oden would be kinda interesting story.

I'm curious to see jason richardson. I didn't think it would work, but from the numbers it looks like it might. I guess they did need some more scoring from the back court w/ bell and barbosa's numbers down this year.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Banned

Yea Shaq's big ass always plays against us, its been a good battle thus far, update from section 109 row M on the iphone Wouldn't trade my season tickets for the world.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:27 AM
Banned

Portland Pours in 52 points as the Blazers beat the Suns by 5, what a fucking game, seriously is that kid doesn't make the all star team again this year, it will be a travesty
Old 12-19-2008, 07:21 AM
Team Owner

Too much beer? You meant Roy right? How did Mr. Bust Oden do? :p
Old 12-19-2008, 08:11 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Portland Pours in 52 points as the Blazers beat the Suns by 5, what a fucking game, seriously is that kid doesn't make the all star team again this year, it will be a travesty
Pisses me off every time I think Toronto could have drafted Roy instead of Bargnani.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Doom878
Too much beer? You meant Roy right? How did Mr. Bust Oden do? :p
Yea a tiny bit too much possibly Oden started out really well, he scored 8 points in the first quarter on Shaq's giant ass, then quickly got in foul trouble and spent the rest of the game on the bench. He came back in during the fourth quarter and pulled down some clutch rebounds though.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dom
Pisses me off every time I think Toronto could have drafted Roy instead of Bargnani.
You know there is really no way of knowing Roy was going to be a good as he is right now, when he was in college he was good, but no where neer superstar status that he is right now, hell he stayed all 4 years at Washington instead of coming out early like most do now days.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:38 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

You know there is really no way of knowing Roy was going to be a good as he is right now, when he was in college he was good, but no where neer superstar status that he is right now, hell he stayed all 4 years at Washington instead of coming out early like most do now days.
But he was a can't miss NBA'er at draft time. Bargnani was a project and still is. More likely a huge bust.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Hey savage, alot of us true laker fans have to agree with alot of this. C's look very focused.

Hopefully the 25th will be a good game.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dom
But he was a can't miss NBA'er at draft time. Bargnani was a project and still is. More likely a huge bust.
Bargnani had more "upside" at the time. Plus Dirk was playing at an MVP level, and management was new and infatuated with Euro players. So they tried to get the next Dirk.

in hindsight, Roy is the better pick, but he wasn't the ROY yet. At least Bargnani isn't Darko Milicic or Kwame Brown.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Engineer

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
Hey savage, alot of us true laker fans have to agree with alot of this. C's look very focused.

Hopefully the 25th will be a good game.

Definitely, I can't wait for that game...

Earl, it's good to see there are a couple true Laker fan's left out there.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:15 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl

in hindsight, Roy is the better pick, but he wasn't the ROY yet. At least Bargnani isn't Darko Milicic or Kwame Brown.
Not yet. Just a matter of time before he's traded.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Drifting

at least you didn't trade roy for foye. I feel sorry for the timberwolves sometimes. Passed up on Mayo this year too.

Yea, you can't really look back at the draft and see what you missed. Everyone has 20/20 hindsight. Imagine all the teams that passed on people like ellis, boozer, etc. Or imagine that 2004 Pistons team w/ melo, bosh, or wade.

As a clipper fan, (ie. perennial lottery pick), It's hard to even imagine the people they passed on, although it seems like it's been getting better recently
Old 12-19-2008, 02:47 PM
Team Owner

I just looked up the Clips' drafting history and almost cried. Before Gordon and Thornton it's pretty barren. Odom, Vaught, and Manning are the few highlights.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Doom878
I just looked up the Clips' drafting history and almost cried. Before Gordon and Thornton it's pretty barren. Odom, Vaught, and Manning are the few highlights.
......at least they're not responsible for the sam bowie pick

Now when you look at their draft picks, you have to remember that they had the same GM from 1986 to 2008. That is pretty impressive.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Safety Car

Definitely, I can't wait for that game...

Earl, it's good to see there are a couple true Laker fan's left out there.
Thanks. The Lakers' lack of focus and intensity is what gets me. Hopefully that's the game the Lakers are waiting for to get things started. Otherwise they'll get run over.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:23 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dom
Not yet. Just a matter of time before he's traded.
Well at least you didn't trade him on draft day, like Osamu was saying. Roy for Foye was a bonehead move by McHale. Mayo for Love isn't looking too great at this point as well.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:31 PM
Banned

Our GM Kevin Prichard is a wheeler and a dealer, famous for his draft day moves, dude hustles NBA players like big bags of stinky reefer.

We have to sine Roy and Alderage to huge contracts at the end of this year, Rudy too, but I would be very surprised if I didn't see a Outlaw, Fry, Baylis, deal before the allstar break for a good power forward, thats really what we are missing right now.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Drifting

Our GM Kevin Prichard is a wheeler and a dealer, famous for his draft day moves, dude hustles NBA players like big bags of stinky reefer.

We have to sine Roy and Alderage to huge contracts at the end of this year, Rudy too, but I would be very surprised if I didn't see a Outlaw, Fry, Baylis, deal before the allstar break for a good power forward, thats really what we are missing right now.
are you worried about darius miles? I'm hoping he plays, cause right now it looks like there's nothing stopping the blazers from setting up to be a dynasty for a LONG time.

if he doesn't play, and w/ lafrenz coming off the books portland definitely has enough money to pay roy and aldridge. They could even try trading lafrenz's ending contract for some help this year. Too bad it's like a year early though, and doesn't seem like too many people are saving up for this summer.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 832 Posts
great game with the Heat and Lakers.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Osamu
are you worried about darius miles? I'm hoping he plays, cause right now it looks like there's nothing stopping the blazers from setting up to be a dynasty for a LONG time.

if he doesn't play, and w/ lafrenz coming off the books portland definitely has enough money to pay roy and aldridge. They could even try trading lafrenz's ending contract for some help this year. Too bad it's like a year early though, and doesn't seem like too many people are saving up for this summer.
Roy and Alderage like each other and I really don't expect either of them to want to even explore other options, plus we have the second richest owner in the NBA, he will pay the luxury tax if need be to keep them around.

As far as Miles goes, i don't expect to see him play and heres why. He has to play in 10 games to be considered active and then we have to pay him. He has a 10 game suspension for drugs coming so a team would have to activate him ,and then wait ten games for him to play. So its going to actually take 20 total games active for us to have to pay his ass.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:48 AM
Team Owner

I saw the 2nd half of that Heat/Lakers game. Wow what a game. Did you guys see Wade's buzzer beating 3? Poor Kobe. 2 missed buzzer beaters 2 nights in a row.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:40 PM
Banned

I did see that, I gotta say i've been impressed with the heat lately, they have beaten some good teams. But fuck the Lakers , they are showing what kind of team they actually are right now, Boston is still winning while the Lakers have hit a little skid, shows who the better team really is. Blazers play Dallas on Christmas day, but better believe ill be watching the Celtics beat Kobe'sass for sure while im waiting to leave for my game.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by SG81
Raptors swept the Heat this week
looking back, how the HELL did this happen?

the Raps are playing like garbage now

Quick Reply: NBA: 2008 Season Thread