Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

MLB: Alex Rodriguez Used Steroids **Tipped Pitches to Opposing Hitters (page 4)**

Old 02-17-2009, 08:06 AM
Keeping emos out of

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yumchah
Seriously, I wonder how many of these teammates were "volunTOLD" to join A-Cheat at this news conference considering most don't like him all to much?

$5 says Jeter was paid to go to this by Hank Steinie et al.
You're probably right on target with that assessment. It's amazing that the Yanks will stand behind such a fraudulent asswipe such as A-Fraud. I personally have disliked him ever since he left Seattle and an article came out in the PI about some of his off the field habits.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:08 AM
Keeping emos out of

Originally Posted by NetEditor
Looks like A-Rod admitted to Peter Gammons that he did take steroids.
Nope, not even close. He admitted to taking a banned substance that he apparently does not know the name of said substance and he only took it while playing for the Texas Rangers.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:13 AM
Keeping emos out of

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
http://citifield.wordpress.com/2009/02/10/got-juice/

Worth the read, especially you Yummy and Illi.

Even better if you read the article in the first couple hyperlinks.
You have got to be kidding me, posting that article from a blog and treating it as if were gospel about previous supplement use in baseball
Old 02-17-2009, 09:37 AM
Benchwarmer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by goose25
You're probably right on target with that assessment. It's amazing that the Yanks will stand behind such a fraudulent asswipe such as A-Fraud. I personally have disliked him ever since he left Seattle and an article came out in the PI about some of his off the field habits.
It's what teams have to do, otherwise they appear to have bad chemistry. They'll be a lot of going on.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:41 AM
is in Honda heaven

I dont even like baseball or A-rod but I'll definitely be tuning in at 1:30!
Old 02-17-2009, 09:53 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

at a-rod sitting with PR folks during the press conference.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,940 Likes on 14,056 Posts
Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
at a-rod sitting with PR folks during the press conference.
These are the same PR folks that Dubya and Palin hired.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:42 AM

ohsnap.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:40 PM

did anyone see it? how was it?
Old 02-17-2009, 02:50 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You have got to be kidding me, posting that article from a blog and treating it as if were gospel about previous supplement use in baseball
Treating it like Gospel? I called it a good read. Where did you get that I treated it like Gospel?

And while you're at it, why don't you give some insight as to why this article should be taken lightly?
Old 02-17-2009, 04:00 PM

Rodriguez Cites Naivety, Curiosity for Use

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...021702224.html

By Barry Svrluga
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, February 17, 2009; 3:51 PM

TAMPA, Feb. 17 -- A contrite and nervous Alex Rodriguez said Tuesday he injected a performance-enhancing drug repeatedly over three years of his career, again calling himself "stupid and naïve" but failing to offer a further explanation for his use of a substance he said he didn't know was a steroid at the time.

Rodriguez said he got the drug, which he referred to as "bolly" or "bolay", from the Dominican Republic with the help of a cousin, who he declined to name. He said he and the cousin took the drug -- which he said was supposed to provide increased energy -- perhaps twice a month for the six months of the baseball seasons from 2001 to 2003.

"We knew we weren't taking Tic Tacs," he said. But he said he and his cousin did not know how the drug should be administered, how often it should be taken or exactly what the benefits were. That, he seemed to acknowledge, provides a contrast with the practices of an elite athlete who is acutely aware of what he puts in his body.

"I was 24, I was 24," he said. "I was pretty naïve. I was pretty young." He also described himself as "curious."

As for whether it was cheating, Rodriguez said, "That's not for me to determine."

Rodriguez's remarks came in a packed tent behind the left field stands at George M. Steinbrenner Field. Nearly the entire Yankees roster attended, including shortstop Derek Jeter, catcher Jorge Posada, pitcher Andy Pettitte and closer Mariano Rivera -- the old-guard of the Yankees -- along the front row of seats. Rodriguez tried to address his teammates in his opening remarks but stopped because he became too emotional.

"I saw tears," said Yankees Manager Joe Girardi, seated at the podium with Rodriguez. "I saw remorse."

Rodriguez's news conference, which came on the day Yankees position players are due in camp, followed by 10 days a Sports Illustrated report that Rodriguez had tested positive for two anabolic steroids -- testosterone and methenolone, which is also known by the brand name Primobolan -- in 2003. Two days later, in an interview with ESPN, Rodriguez admitted he had taken banned substances during his three years with the Texas Rangers -- though he did not specify what he took or where he got it.

"For a week, I have been looking for people to blame," Rodriguez said, "and I keep looking at myself, at the end of the day."

Because of those holes in his admission, Rodriguez's news conference was eagerly anticipated by about 150 reporters and was carried live on both ESPN and the Yankees-owned YES Network. And while Tuesday's media contingent represented the largest throng here in recent memory, the drill was a familiar one for the Yankees, whose spring training has begun with steroid news in four of the past six years.

Gary Sheffield, in 2004, and Jason Giambi the following year dealt with stories that developed out of the investigation into the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative that has also ensnared track star Marion Jones and slugger Barry Bonds. Pitcher Andy Pettitte faced questions last year about his involvement in the Mitchell Report, Major League Baseball's attempt to ferret out violators during what can now be fairly labeled as the "Steroid Era" of the 1990s and early part of this decade.

"I've been at that podium now a lot of times," Yankees General Manager Brian Cashman said. "It's not where I want to be."

When Pettitte spoke for an hour last year, the core of Yankee veterans showed up at the news conference to offer support. Rodriguez is a much more divisive figure than Pettitte -- who attempted to explain how and when he used performance-enhancing drugs when he arrived at spring training -- so the show of support Tuesday was striking.

"We're a family," Girardi said. "And you know what? We're going to go through other tough times during the season."

As significant as Pettitte's admission was -- and it served to put the matter largely behind him -- Rodriguez, as perhaps the pre-eminent player of his generation, faces far more scrutiny. He is under contract with the Yankees for nine more years, and he is keenly aware of how he is perceived by the public, a pressure that he said originally led to his use of banned substances. He is also a star outside of baseball, a status reinforced by the latest cover of The New Yorker, which features a cartoon depiction of a bulked-up Rodriguez.

With that in mind, Rodriguez has enlisted an A-list public relations team that involves not only his agent, Scott Boras, but a California firm called Outside Eyes that specializes in crisis management. Richard Rubenstein, the son of noted New York publicist and George Steinbrenner advisor Howard Rubenstein, and talent manager Guy Oseary, who has worked closely with Madonna, are also involved in developing Rodriguez's carefully crafted public message.

The group brought Don Hooton, who founded a foundation aimed at educating children about steroids following the steroid-induced death of his son, Taylor, in 2003. Hooton said his group reached out to Rodriguez a week ago, and the two were working out the parameters of an agreement in which Rodriguez would support the foundation.

"The thing that impressed me was that he thinks he can make a difference on this issue," Hooton said.

Toward the end of his remarks, Rodriguez acknowledged a difficult 15-month period in which he has divorced his wife shortly after the birth of their second child, been photographed with other women in tabloids, been linked romantically to Madonna and now faces questions about his legitimacy and legacy. He emphasized his desire to move forward.

"I miss playing baseball," he said, "and I miss simply being a baseball player."

Cashman, for one, understands that might be difficult.

"This isn't just dieing," he said. "I think the shelf life of this is a lot longer."
Old 02-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 02-17-2009, 09:21 PM
Senior Moderator

So, why am I puking? Let me detail the reasons:

A-Cheat said he was 24 when he cheated. Um, no. He was 25, 26 and 27 when he was doing steroids in Texas, not quite as "young". And for a guy who is so image conscious and concerned about his body, he sure was conveniently "YOUNG" trying out something he claimed to know NOTHING about.

I know. I'm curious about how Drano tastes. I'm gonna drink it. Riiiiight.

Then, Nim-Rod says his best years came with the Mariners and the Yanks. Um, okay. Let's see: A-Cheat averaged 50+ HR/year during his supposed Cheating years with the Rangers. Compare that his average of 35ish dingers in Seattle and somewhere in the very low 40s in NY. Riiiiiight.

JMT: Gimme a barf bag...I need to puke again.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:34 PM

well i believe he said his two best statistical seasons were in seattle and NY, which i'd agree.

he had his 40/40 season in seattle, and 2 seasons ago had career high in RBI and second highest in HR.

anyhoo, here you go yumchah:
Old 02-17-2009, 11:31 PM
My Garage

So, why am I puking? Let me detail the reasons:

A-Cheat said he was 24 when he cheated. Um, no. He was 25, 26 and 27 when he was doing steroids in Texas, not quite as "young". And for a guy who is so image conscious and concerned about his body, he sure was conveniently "YOUNG" trying out something he claimed to know NOTHING about.

I know. I'm curious about how Drano tastes. I'm gonna drink it. Riiiiight.

Then, Nim-Rod says his best years came with the Mariners and the Yanks. Um, okay. Let's see: A-Cheat averaged 50+ HR/year during his supposed Cheating years with the Rangers. Compare that his average of 35ish dingers in Seattle and somewhere in the very low 40s in NY. Riiiiiight.

JMT: Gimme a barf bag...I need to puke again.
Read this:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...rod/index.html

Then this:
http://www.sabernomics.com/sabernomi...n-performance/
Old 02-17-2009, 11:52 PM
Senior Moderator

For the sake of argument, let's just say that the ballpark helped A-Fraud hit more homers even if he didn't take steroids...Does this make him less guilty (or stupid since well, he was "young" and had no idea what he was taking *coughs*)...?

To me, regardless of your arguments on whether steriods enhances an athlete or not, it does not take away the fact that this man outrighted cheated. He lied on National TV and had no choice but to come up with now disgusting half-baked-do-you-take-us-for-retards explanations to cover up his one true truth because he got caught: he wanted to cheat. This man is a $250M disgrace.

No, he was not stupid. No he was not "young". Blah blah blah...he was none of those. He was and is a cheater.

Frank Thomas: you are now the greatest MLB hitter in modern era.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:03 AM

as dumb as he is for other reasons, i'd have to give that award to manny.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:12 AM
My Garage

For the sake of argument, let's just say that the ballpark helped A-Fraud hit more homers even if he didn't take steroids...Does this make him less guilty (or stupid since well, he was "young" and had no idea what he was taking *coughs*)...?

To me, regardless of your arguments on whether steriods enhances an athlete or not, it does not take away the fact that this man outrighted cheated. He lied on National TV and had no choice but to come up with now disgusting half-baked-do-you-take-us-for-retards explanations to cover up his one true truth because he got caught: he wanted to cheat. This man is a $250M disgrace.

No, he was not stupid. No he was not "young". Blah blah blah...he was none of those. He was and is a cheater.

Frank Thomas: you are now the greatest MLB hitter in modern era.
I posted that article directly in response to this:

And I will give you guys the Most Naive Award of modern era if you think that those guys didn't take steroids.

In my opinion, you take this steroid stuff too far and you let it overshadow the sport. Trying to get an advantage has been going on for a long time now. Corked bats, spitters and other trick pitches. Most of the league was taking these supplements to train better and easier, you need to get that through your head. These supplement were the way you trained and were part of the game. They didn't make you hit .330 and they didn't make you steal 50 bases. They just help you train harder.

Then you blame the players, how many owners do you think encouraged trainers to push these supplements when baseball wasn't doing so hot in the early 90's? Here take these, they will help passed that plateau you are hitting in the gym.

Open your eyes a little and stop thinking like 10 year olds. This sport is about business, money, and entertainment. Steroids increased the level of all three. And like I've said a dozens times, as long as the playing field is equal, and it seems like it is, then I have no problem with that.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:09 PM
My Garage

Everyone is quiet today...

Know what is making me sick, the media taking random pictures of A-rod during the conference and describing those pictures as his state of mind while he was talking.

This is all media bullshit. Give it a friggen rest guys. Some people train harder than others. Lets play ball.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:15 PM
Benchwarmer

Know what is making me sick, the media taking random pictures of A-rod during the conference and describing those pictures as his state of mind while he was talking.

This is all media bullshit. Give it a friggen rest guys. Some people train harder than others. Lets play ball.
I'm not taking the bait.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:18 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by IlliNorge
I'm not taking the bait.
dammit

I just want to talk baseball
Old 02-18-2009, 01:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Well, no...was busy. Just logged on.

Let's just say we agree to disagree. Yes, I live on a cloud I suppose...but, sports is not about gaining the upper ground on the competition by cheating. And if it is, the ones who have are involved in any way are a disgrace.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Keeping emos out of

Angry

Just don't ask them what training aids they're using because they will conveniently forget the name of said aid and not investigate what it does for them, finally they may break out into 37 seconds of the most awkwardly fake silence that's ever been witnessed on a public stage and then try to tell everyone that the feelings were genuine
Old 02-18-2009, 01:46 PM
My Garage

Just don't ask them what training aids they're using because they will conveniently forget the name of said aid and not investigate what it does for them, finally they may break out into 37 seconds of the most awkwardly fake silence that's ever been witnessed on a public stage and then try to tell everyone that the feelings were genuine
Is "they" anyone specific?
Old 02-18-2009, 01:58 PM

yea i hate it when the media does that.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Keeping emos out of

Is "they" anyone specific?
only your butt buddy A-Hole
Old 02-18-2009, 03:03 PM
My Garage

only your butt buddy A-Hole
you're not the brightest bulb are you? I don't need to hide my text.

You know, you keep coming out with these little harsh statements, but I have yet to hear one valid statement or argument from you. Just asinine comments with no backup, which, upon refute, are then ignored.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I have to say his conference seemed sincere. Who knows what the truth really is. I'm in the thinking of lets move on & get with playing baseball.
For certain he has created a big distraction for himself & the Yankees.

I would like to know the other names on that list though. I think it should be released to be fair.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Benchwarmer

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
I have to say his conference seemed sincere. Who knows what the truth really is. I'm in the thinking of lets move on & get with playing baseball.
For certain he has created a big distraction for himself & the Yankees.

I would like to know the other names on that list though. I think it should be released to be fair.
Well you're a Yankee fan though. It's old hat by now. That's 4 bleacher conferences over by third base in 6 years now right? Sheffield, Giambi, Pettitte, Rodriguez....

This is supposed to be the model franchise, but this is getting old.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Keeping emos out of

you're not the brightest bulb are you? I don't need to hide my text.

You know, you keep coming out with these little harsh statements, but I have yet to hear one valid statement or argument from you. Just asinine comments with no backup, which, upon refute, are then ignored.
Dude, keep on sucking the A-Rod and turning a blind eye to a cheater, I'm sure it will ensure your eternal happiness
Old 02-18-2009, 03:21 PM
My Garage

Dude, keep on sucking the A-Rod and turning a blind eye to a cheater, I'm sure it will ensure your eternal happiness
Just the response I was expecting.

By the way, this doesn't really have anything to do with A-rod, but the steroid issue as a whole. So you can cut that whole point out of your worthless responses.

Got anything else, dumbshit?
Old 02-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Keeping emos out of

Yeah bitch, keep on sucking the steroid tip and believing in other dumbasses like yourself

/EOD
Old 02-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Hey, try to keep it civil you guys.

Keep the discussion going but stop the name-calling, alright? Thanks.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:25 PM
Senior Moderator

The steroids-helping-with-training argument to me is awful. So, if I were a student, I suppose somehow getting my hands on the questions/answer of an exam before hand "helps me study" too.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:26 PM
My Garage

^ Hey, try to keep it civil you guys.

Keep the discussion going but stop the name-calling, alright? Thanks.
I agree completely, but are you reading the responses of this guy? Can you really blame me? I'm here to have a good baseball argument and I get crap like this?
Old 02-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Keeping emos out of

Relax Gibson, I'm just yanking your chain. For what it's worth I think that the steroids witch hunt need to finish soon. If one name from the 104 who tested positive is released then the entire list should be released so the sport can move on. I personally don't believe that Alex Rodriguez was completely truthful in his two confessions and is doing whatever he can to limit the damage to his reputation and chances at being elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame. Using the excuse that he was young and immature is a pretty crappy excuse for taking whatever substance he indulged in but then again it seems that damn near everyone was using during that period.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:31 PM
My Garage

The steroids-helping-with-training argument to me is awful. So, if I were a student, I suppose somehow getting my hands on the questions/answer of an exam before hand "helps me study" too.
That's a decent analogy, but it's so hard to compare sports and school. Steroids have different affects on people because people have different abilities. I could shoot every steroid known to man in my body and train for years and I wouldn't be able to hold a candle to any major league player. The answers of a test would give equal results to all.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:32 PM
My Garage

Relax Gibson, I'm just yanking your chain. For what it's worth I think that the steroids witch hunt need to finish soon. If one name from the 104 who tested positive is released then the entire list should be released so the sport can move on. I personally don't believe that Alex Rodriguez was completely truthful in his two confessions and is doing whatever he can to limit the damage to his reputation and chances at being elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame. Using the excuse that he was young and immature is a pretty crappy excuse for taking whatever substance he indulged in but then again it seems that damn near everyone was using during that period.
Just in the mood to get me fired up huh? Thanks for that
Old 02-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Senior Moderator

That's a decent analogy, but it's so hard to compare sports and school. Steroids have different affects on people because people have different abilities. I could shoot every steroid known to man in my body and train for years and I wouldn't be able to hold a candle to any major league player. The answers of a test would give equal results to all.
Well, let's take your example a step. Let's put you on the same playing field as everyone...let's say you joined a school for the gifted. So, all of the smartest kids in tri-state area are in this one school.

That's MLB to me. You have the most talented athletes playing the game. So, you have a select few who decide to find an advantage over the others...and this is not through extra hard-work. This is through injecting themselves with stuff that helps their training and gain BETTER results. How is that fair...?
Old 02-18-2009, 03:42 PM
My Garage

Well, let's take your example a step. Let's put you on the same playing field as everyone...let's say you joined a school for the gifted. So, all of the smartest kids in tri-state area are in this one school.

That's MLB to me. You have the most talented athletes playing the game. So, you have a select few who decide to find an advantage over the others...and this is not through extra hard-work. This is through injecting themselves with stuff that helps their training and gain BETTER results. How is that fair...?
For starters, this "select few", in my opinion, is a "select most".

Also, as stupid as this may sound, to me the steroids cannot equal the answer to the test. I would equate them to the coffee that some kids have to help them stay more alert and study longer.

Their is no "answer" to any aspect of baseball, nothing that will make you do it better. You have to have the talent and ability. If you don't have that ability, you're not gonna get into that school for the gifted, no matter how many drugs you take.

Quick Reply: MLB: Alex Rodriguez Used Steroids **Tipped Pitches to Opposing Hitters (page 4)**