Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

MLB: Alex Rodriguez Used Steroids **Tipped Pitches to Opposing Hitters (page 4)**

Old 02-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Benchwarmer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
There's a huge problem because anyone from that era will have a question mark on their legacy. So in order to sell a few seats they destroy the credibility of the sport? Bad idea. No to mention the whole now salary cap thing the owners are pussies and the MLB player assocation is too powerful and will jeopardize the sport in order to get what they want.
That's why we need the whole list of 104 and we need to bash the cheaters to no end to deter guys in the future.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IlliNorge
That's why we need the whole list of 104 and we need to bash the cheaters to no end to deter guys in the future.
I agree. All the names should be released. But this just sucks for baseball the guy who they wanted to build up to chase the HR record now is a confirmed cheat. Who in the hell can they market?
Old 02-09-2009, 10:38 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
There's a huge problem because anyone from that era will have a question mark on their legacy. So in order to sell a few seats they destroy the credibility of the sport? Bad idea. No to mention the whole now salary cap thing the owners are pussies and the MLB player assocation is too powerful and will jeopardize the sport in order to get what they want.
A few seats? There was a players strike, baseball was doing terrible. Something needed to be done and frankly I don't see it to be a big deal. People act like steroids are a pill that you take that make you Babe Ruth, Ricky Henderson, and Cy Young all in one player.

You know what steriods really do? They allow you to recover faster. They allow guys like Bonds and A-rod to go to the gym after playing 9 innings and bust their ass, then do it again the next day. Constantly improving and getting stronger. They don't make see the ball better, throw a better change-up, or know the exact moment to steal a base.

To be like Bonds or A-rod you need talent and hard work. Same as in any other sport.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Benchwarmer

I agree. All the names should be released. But this just sucks for baseball the guy who they wanted to build up to chase the HR record now is a confirmed cheat. Who in the hell can they market?
They need to start marketing the league as a bunch of teams, not a bunch of players. The NFL does this and you never hear anything about salaries or contracts and you can put two weak teams on TV and people will still watch. MLB can't put the Pirates vs. Rockies and expect anyone to care.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Benchwarmer

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
A few seats? There was a players strike, baseball was doing terrible. Something needed to be done and frankly I don't see it to be a big deal. People act like steroids are a pill that you take that make you Babe Ruth, Ricky Henderson, and Cy Young all in one player.

You know what steriods really do? They allow you to recover faster. They allow guys like Bonds and A-rod to go to the gym after playing 9 innings and bust their ass, then do it again the next day. Constantly improving and getting stronger. They don't make see the ball better, throw a better change-up, or know the exact moment to steal a base.

To be like Bonds or A-rod you need talent and hard work. Same as in any other sport.
And they make warning track flyballs into HR's. About 15-20 a year for the juicers. Which is enough of an advantage that they don't need to see the ball better, and they don't need to steal bases anyway.

Cortizone is a corticosteroid that helps injuries heal without increasing mass. But you don't see players injecting themselves with this.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:59 AM
My Garage

And they make warning track flyballs into HR's. About 15-20 a year for the juicers. Which is enough of an advantage that they don't need to see the ball better, and they don't need to steal bases anyway.

Cortizone is a corticosteroid that helps injuries heal without increasing mass. But you don't see players injecting themselves with this.
What about the pitchers that add 10 mph to their fastball, doesn't that make it harder to hit those warning track flyballs?

I never said anything about injuries, I said recovery. Recovery from the strain of playing the sport and from training.

Here is my POV, if there are spots of people doing it 10 or 15 here and there, I'm all for punishing them. If practically the whole league is or was taking them (And I think they were) then the performance increases are relative and balanced.

If I was a talented ball player making no money in the minors and someone told me I can be making 5 million a year if I juiced and increased my strength and stamina, I'd do it in a heartbeat, wouldn't you?
Old 02-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,940 Likes on 14,056 Posts
So, anyone read the report that Upshaw apparently alerted the players that they were going to be tested...?
Old 02-09-2009, 11:02 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dom
here's hoping they release the full list of names. All 104 of them.
+1.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Senior Moderator

If I was a talented ball player making no money in the minors and someone told me I can be making 5 million a year if I juiced and increased my strength and stamina, I'd do it in a heartbeat, wouldn't you?
To be perfectly honest: Nope. Cheating is cheating...and when my time is up in this life, I want to be able to look at myself in the mirror and say I lived life the way it should have been and never sold myself out for the "almighty $$". There is more to being a professional than that.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Benchwarmer

What about the pitchers that add 10 mph to their fastball, doesn't that make it harder to hit those warning track flyballs?

I never said anything about injuries, I said recovery. Recovery from the strain of playing the sport and from training.

Here is my POV, if there are spots of people doing it 10 or 15 here and there, I'm all for punishing them. If practically the whole league is or was taking them (And I think they were) then the performance increases are relative and balanced.

10 mph? Seems a little much. I think hitters definitely had the advantage in the steroid era. The numbers suggest it.

Recovery? Come on. There is no endurance necessary to play baseball. There is a general wearing down of the joints and tendons and muscles, which I interpret as injuries.

Even if 90% of the league was juicing, you have to reward the 10% that played the game straight. The performance increases definitely favored the power hitters. ERA's and HR's skyrocketed, SB's went way down. Steroids altered the game. You can argue that the alteration was positive for the appeal of the sport, but there's no way that the steroids themsleves were positive for the appeal of the sport, legal or illegal.

No way in hell I would take steroids. Partially for the reasons Yumchah listed, but also because they break the body down. My guess is that you'll see Bonds and McGwire with canes by the time they're 50.

If steroids were free would you take them to increase your softball performance or lengthen your tee shots?
Old 02-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Didn't MLB know about this report & who was on it? If so that makes them accountable.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:54 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
Better than baseball IMO. Atleast guys aren't getting busted for steriods every other week and you know what they're doing in the ring is legit.

oh REALLY? i can think of some good boxing controversy in the last year...steroids, etc
Old 02-09-2009, 12:16 PM
My Garage

10 mph? Seems a little much. I think hitters definitely had the advantage in the steroid era. The numbers suggest it.

Recovery? Come on. There is no endurance necessary to play baseball. There is a general wearing down of the joints and tendons and muscles, which I interpret as injuries.

Even if 90% of the league was juicing, you have to reward the 10% that played the game straight. The performance increases definitely favored the power hitters. ERA's and HR's skyrocketed, SB's went way down. Steroids altered the game. You can argue that the alteration was positive for the appeal of the sport, but there's no way that the steroids themsleves were positive for the appeal of the sport, legal or illegal.

No way in hell I would take steroids. Partially for the reasons Yumchah listed, but also because they break the body down. My guess is that you'll see Bonds and McGwire with canes by the time they're 50.

If steroids were free would you take them to increase your softball performance or lengthen your tee shots?
Maybe 10 was much, but it's possible. Maybe 5 or 6 more reasonable, but you get the point.

No endurance? These guys are professional athletes. Do you know how hard (most) of them train to be as good as they are? They spend offseasons in the gym, play in winter leagues, spring trainings, not to mention all the personal gym training they must do, then the actual season. You think that is easy? All I do is go to the gym every night and I walk around in pain all day, and I'm 26. There is a reason they take steroids and it's not so they hit the ball another 10 feet, regular training would do that.

Yumchah always goes the holy road , but if you were actually presented with those millions of dollars, you might think differently. This isn't 1974 and it's not Hulk Hogan taking steroids to be a massive wrestler. This is calculated and engineered to perfect your body, everything is monitored and done as safely as possible. There have been studies that show HGH to be very good for the body.

And No, but if I was getting paid millions to play softball and not taking them meant possibly not making those millions, then the answer is yes.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
oddly enough, it seems the one person who has been telling the truth through all of this has been Jose Canseco...he accused A-Rod of taking steroids in his book last year, not to mention Clemens, Magglio Ordonez, McGwire, and others but not a lot of ppl believed him...looks like he was right again
Old 02-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Big White Chocolate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks like A-Rod admitted to Peter Gammons that he did take steroids.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:25 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
Didn't MLB know about this report & who was on it? If so that makes them accountable.
the report was confidential, it was not done to accuse, but to see how big the problem was. All samples were given a #. No one was ever suppose to find out what #'s connected to what names
Old 02-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by NetEditor
Looks like A-Rod admitted to Peter Gammons that he did take steroids.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3894847

"I did take a banned substance. For that, I am very sorry and deeply regretful."
good move IMO
Old 02-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Benchwarmer

^^^

His apology should read, "I did take a banned substance. I am very sorry and deeply regretful that I got caught and that my previous statements have been exposed as lies."
Old 02-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Senior Moderator

What we don't know & never will is how long he took them & for what purpose.
I could see him trying them based on advice from other players to see how he would react. The facts are still true that his player skills are far beyond most players. He hit a ton before 03 & after 03 & has tested clean since that 1 test.
I'm not defending him, I hate arod, but there are 2 sides. You can not trust what the media reports. Especially when it comes to the Yankees.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:35 PM
My Garage

What we don't know & never will is how long he took them & for what purpose.
I could see him trying them based on advice from other players to see how he would react. The facts are still true that his player skills are far beyond most players. He hit a ton before 03 & after 03 & has tested clean since that 1 test.
I'm not defending him, I hate arod, but there are 2 sides. You can not trust what the media reports. Especially when it comes to the Yankees.
I think we have a good idea of how long he took them"

When asked if his usage took place from 2001-2003, Rodriguez said, "That's pretty accurate."
And for what purpose:

"When I arrived in Texas in 2001, I felt an enormous amount of pressure, felt all the weight of the world on top of me to perform and perform at a high level every day. Back then, it was a different culture. It was very loose. I was young, I was stupid, I was naive and I wanted to prove to everyone that I was worth, you know, being one of the greatest players of all time. And I did take a banned substance. For that, I'm very sorry and deeply regretful. And although it was the culture back then in major league baseball overall ... it was very ... I just feel that ... I'm just sorry. I'm sorry for that time, I'm sorry to my fans, I'm sorry to my fans in Texas. It wasn't until then that I thought about substance of any kind, and since then I've proved to myself and to everyone that I don't need any of that."
Old 02-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Sorry? He should be sorry for flat-out lying when he was interviewed on 60 Minutes...
Old 02-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baseball is a joke it has no credibility.
+1...I used to love baseball
Old 02-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
the sad part is he is the one laughing all the way to the bank with those massive contracts...
Old 02-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by savage
the sad part is he is the one laughing all the way to the bank with those massive contracts...
Moral of the story to all the children everywhere: it pays to cheat.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Looking at his career stats looks like A-Rod was as good non-juiced as he was juiced. And honestly, I actually agree with Gibson6594.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Benchwarmer

Originally Posted by F23A4
Looking at his career stats looks like A-Rod was as good non-juiced as he was juiced. And honestly, I actually agree with Gibson6594.
Then you lose. GIBSON always loses baseball arguments.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:59 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by F23A4
you're a wise man
Old 02-09-2009, 05:00 PM
My Garage

Then you lose. GIBSON always loses baseball arguments.
Whoa, I've never lost an argument in my life.

Current response included
Old 02-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Senior Moderator

I just watched the interview. I retract my previous statement
He's dumb. You know he would never have said anything if this didn't leak out. His whole interview he's saying he's sorry & he is glad the truth came out, etc is just lies..
Old 02-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Senior Moderator

You know he would never have said anything if this didn't leak out. His whole interview he's saying he's sorry & he is glad the truth came out, etc is just lies..

...to really bring his about-face to light, watch his interview with Couric for 60 Minutes when he denied ever doping.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Big White Chocolate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
^ Sorry? He should be sorry for flat-out lying when he was interviewed on 60 Minutes...
Every athlete who has been caught has always previously lied. Why would you think A-Rod should be different? At least he was smart enough not to lie to Congress or a grand jury.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Was this not the steroid era? When will people stop acting surprised? or are we going to continue this as each name is revealed? I really enjoy the "I told you so" statements..

*Steroid era

/thread
Old 02-09-2009, 10:46 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by Jonesi
Was this not the steroid era? When will people stop acting surprised? or are we going to continue this as each name is revealed? I really enjoy the "I told you so" statements..

*Steroid era

/thread
Piss in the Cheerios this morning?
Old 02-10-2009, 07:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Piss in the Cheerios this morning?

I'm just saying it's the steroid era. It's like beating a dead horse.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
I can't wait until nanotechnology ushers bionics into professional sports.....and then deemed illegal.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Senior Moderator

So, I finally watched A-Cheat's lovely interview from yesterday and could not help but feel s'more ridicule is needed to be heaped on Mr. Sensitive and Liar-Liar...

- He said he juiced because he felt pressure in the land of the Rangers (yes, pressure-cooker team right there), and we’re all supposed to be stupid enough to buy the idea that he suddenly didn’t need the stuff when he moved to the NYC - the epitome of pressure city???
- A-Cheat conveniently takes the blame, said it was all his fault blah blah blah, but bam! He blames the baseball culture and teammates at the time. I love it. I confess, I confess...they did it, really.

Where's my puke bag...?
Old 02-10-2009, 11:20 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Jose Conseco is looking pretty reputable these days.

Is it me or does A-Rod sound like a idiot?
Old 02-10-2009, 11:21 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Old 02-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Senior Moderator

^ Thanks, JMT...you want it after I'm done?
Old 02-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
Jose Conseco is looking pretty reputable these days.

Is it me or does A-Rod sound like a idiot?
Yep...I put him in the same idiot-sounding category as Bud Lite and his union buddies (i.e. Fehr et al)...

And can you believe Bud earned $17M or something ridiculous last year...?

Quick Reply: MLB: Alex Rodriguez Used Steroids **Tipped Pitches to Opposing Hitters (page 4)**