Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

MLB: Alex Rodriguez Used Steroids **Tipped Pitches to Opposing Hitters (page 4)**

Old 02-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Benchwarmer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
That's a decent analogy, but it's so hard to compare sports and school. Steroids have different affects on people because people have different abilities. I could shoot every steroid known to man in my body and train for years and I wouldn't be able to hold a candle to any major league player. The answers of a test would give equal results to all.
But you aren't a baseball player, so the point is moot. For the 700 or so guys who call themselves major leaguers your analogy doesn't apply and that's where it is relevant.

Let's say that you and I are competing on Wall Street. You pick and choose your stocks and trades based on your own analysis and I choose my stocks based on insider trading knowledge and then I buy up your firm using the money I made. That sucks, doesn't it?

Now applying your analogy, neither one of us could probably find our own asses if we entered a trading room, so insider knowledge would do neither one of us any good. It's all about an equal playing field for those who actually play on that field.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,940 Likes on 14,056 Posts
GIBSON: See...the benefits of steroids is where you and I differ, which is fine.

But, on your final point there, my argument before was: Let's SAY you are IN the school already. You have the skills to get in. You worked your @$$ off to get in to go with the talent/abilities you have...

You work hard. You get good results. Then, one day, you find out that some individuals in class are cheating their way through school. How does that make you feel? Is your first answer: Hmm, I guess I'll cheat then. Is that what you'd do? I'm just saying that there is a moral and honor code in life. And to me, people like A-Fraud needs to be punished and they deserve ALL the ridicule and abuse tossed their way.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:54 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by IlliNorge
But you aren't a baseball player, so the point is moot. For the 700 or so guys who call themselves major leaguers your analogy doesn't apply and that's where it is relevant.

Let's say that you and I are competing on Wall Street. You pick and choose your stocks and trades based on your own analysis and I choose my stocks based on insider trading knowledge and then I buy up your firm using the money I made. That sucks, doesn't it?

Now applying your analogy, neither one of us could probably find our own asses if we entered a trading room, so insider knowledge would do neither one of us any good. It's all about an equal playing field for those who actually play on that field.
Hey, compared to 8 year olds, I'm one hell of a baseball player.

I have a hard time on that analogy because of the small sample size. If 10 of the 700 brokers are using inside information, then yes, they should be punished (legality aside, for argument purposes). If 400 of 700 are using inside information, than my view is shame on those not using it. It's a loose reponse because of the allowances and condoning by MLB, but you can see the point.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:55 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Dude...sorry man...but, that's horrible! So, in other words for you: if everyone's doing it, it must be okay.

C'mon man, that's so wrong!
Old 02-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Keeping emos out of

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No it's not okay to think that if everyone else is doing it then it must be fine. What about the players who never had a hint of steroids drama associated with them, are they not being cheated? How much better would Griffey Jr. stats be if he were on the juice and they helped him to recover from injuries quicker?
Old 02-18-2009, 04:05 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by Yumchah
^ Dude...sorry man...but, that's horrible! So, in other words for you: if everyone's doing it, it must be okay.

C'mon man, that's so wrong!
Oh Yummy, sometimes I envy your ethics.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:06 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by goose25
No it's not okay to think that if everyone else is doing it then it must be fine. What about the players who never had a hint of steroids drama associated with them, are they not being cheated? How much better would Griffey Jr. stats be if he were on the juice and they helped him to recover from injuries quicker?
How do you know Griffey never took anything? Until a few days ago we all thought the same about A-Rod.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Benchwarmer

Hey, compared to 8 year olds, I'm one hell of a baseball player.

I have a hard time on that analogy because of the small sample size. If 10 of the 700 brokers are using inside information, then yes, they should be punished (legality aside, for argument purposes). If 400 of 700 are using inside information, than my view is shame on those not using it. It's a loose reponse because of the allowances and condoning by MLB, but you can see the point.
No, I don't see your point. Maybe it's because I'm a golfer with a good friend on the PGA Tour and we play our sport by calling penalties on ourselves without referees.

I think it's more like 104 of 700 were using inside information, and the FBI should come down hard on their asses.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:11 PM
Keeping emos out of

How do you know Griffey never took anything? Until a few days ago we all thought the same about A-Rod.
I'm only using Griffey as an example, of course I have no first hand knowledge of who was on the juice and who was not. Surely you must agree that there were some good to great players in baseball who did not turn to steroids because others were using them. How can a true comparison be made between their stats and the stats of someone else who was juiced up? That's one big problem that i see with baseball and the steroid era. How can any stats from that era be believed and trusted?
Old 02-18-2009, 04:13 PM
My Garage

I'm only using Griffey as an example, of course I have no first hand knowledge of who was on the juice and who was not. Surely you must agree that there were some good to great players in baseball who did not turn to steroids because others were using them. How can a true comparison be made between their stats and the stats of someone else who was juiced up? That's one big problem that i see with baseball and the steroid era. How can any stats from that era be believed and trusted?
According to the article, which you claimed I treated as gospel, the steroid era is much longer than most think.

Were there some clean greats? Sure.

Were some of those greats that everyone things were clean actually taking something? I'd bet anything.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:14 PM
My Garage

Also, I believe the steroid era existed to save baseball, which it did. Not ruin it.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:19 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Also, I believe the steroid era existed to save baseball, which it did. Not ruin it.
i think there's truth to the statement that the steroid era saved baseball.

was it the '98 season when mcgwire and sosa were going after the babe's record? that season brought baseball back.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:29 PM
Keeping emos out of

You are correct that the Great Homerun Chase did indeed save baseball from the doldrums encountered when they canceled the World Series a few years earlier but at what price?
Old 02-18-2009, 04:38 PM
Senior Moderator

If it took cheating to save a sport, I'd rather it stay dead.

And c'mon, think of that. It took TWO frauds to save a freaking sport!???!?
Old 02-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Benchwarmer

Sammy, uh, how you say, uh, no evidenco y provo steroido, uh, no comprende, senor.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:08 PM
My Garage

Yummy, you're 25 years old. You are married, have 2 kids, and are a solid natural baseball player. Enough to make it to AAA, but you can't break into the major league level. You weren't particularly talented in any other areas of your academic course work. You made baseball your life and depended on succeeding like everyone thought you would. All of a sudden things are not going as planned. You have a nagging leg injury and are stuck in the minors. You're having trouble providing for your family and need money quickly. Quitting baseball and going to work at The Gap isn't going to cut it. Then someone tells you that if you take this injection, it will help your leg heal and allow you to train harder and get into the big leagues. You can make more money and support yourself and your family. All while living your dream and playing baseball.

Would you take it?
Old 02-18-2009, 06:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Yummy, you're 25 years old. You are married, have 2 kids, and are a solid natural baseball player. Enough to make it to AAA, but you can't break into the major league level. You weren't particularly talented in any other areas of your academic course work. You made baseball your life and depended on succeeding like everyone thought you would. All of a sudden things are not going as planned. You have a nagging leg injury and are stuck in the minors. You're having trouble providing for your family and need money quickly. Quitting baseball and going to work at The Gap isn't going to cut it. Then someone tells you that if you take this injection, it will help your leg heal and allow you to train harder and get into the big leagues. You can make more money and support yourself and your family. All while living your dream and playing baseball.

Would you take it?
Oooo...bait. You're asking the wrong guy esp. when this guy has next to zero pirated games/movies/music (I buy all of my stuff and what I do have off of "educational" versions, I eventually bought to own on disc).

My comeback to you is this: If I loved baseball and my dream was baseball, then living with the consequences of not making it into MLB would have been a setback and risk I took. It would've been something I would be ready for if I did not make it to the Big League.

If it came down to $$$$ and survival of my family, your suggestion to me of taking illegal substances is no better than me going up to my cousin Shaquon or Tyrone to help out with some..."deliveries". What if I got caught? I know it's a no-no already (c'mon, please, the excuse of steroids is not banned is bunk to me: ALL athletes know that doping in pro sports is not allowed - forget what was "written" in MLB rules if we're going into that tangent)...

So, yeah...back to my first part. If I know there's a potential of me not making it? Yeah, I would go bag groceries (please see Kurt Warner of the NFL). Yes, call me a boy scout.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:55 PM

Oooo...bait. You're asking the wrong guy esp. when this guy has next to zero pirated games/movies/music (I buy all of my stuff and what I do have off of "educational" versions, I eventually bought to own on disc).

My comeback to you is this: If I loved baseball and my dream was baseball, then living with the consequences of not making it into MLB would have been a setback and risk I took. It would've been something I would be ready for if I did not make it to the Big League.

If it came down to $$$$ and survival of my family, your suggestion to me of taking illegal substances is no better than me going up to my cousin Shaquon or Tyrone to help out with some..."deliveries". What if I got caught? I know it's a no-no already (c'mon, please, the excuse of steroids is not banned is bunk to me: ALL athletes know that doping in pro sports is not allowed - forget what was "written" in MLB rules if we're going into that tangent)...

So, yeah...back to my first part. If I know there's a potential of me not making it? Yeah, I would go bag groceries (please see Kurt Warner of the NFL). Yes, call me a boy scout.

i thought you were
Old 02-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks

i thought you were

A bit of attempted humor there.

And don't be racist, those are perfectly legit names. You watch, I'm going to name my kid Sergei Lebron Heinrich Jamal...
Old 02-18-2009, 07:08 PM

off topic, but i told my gf that i'd like to name my son harold kumar ....

she thought about leaving me.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
I thought this was an interesting article written in the LA Times by Bob Nightengale on July 15, 1995

Anabolic steroids, the performance drugs of the 1980s in football, track, weightlifting and some other sports, apparently have become the performance drugs of the '90s in major league baseball.

"We all know there's steroid use, and it's definitely become more prevalent," said Randy Smith, general manager of the San Diego Padres. "The ballplayers all know the dangers of it. We preach it every year.

"But because there's so much money to be made these days, guys are willing to pay the price now and will pay the piper later.

"I can understand it's a difficult choice for some players. They know it can take five years off their lives, but then they say, `OK, so I die when I'm 75 instead of 80.' "

Just how prevalent is steroid use?

"I think 10% to 20%," Smith said. "No one has any hard-core proof, but there's a lot of guys you suspect."

Said one American League general manager, "I wouldn't be surprised if it's closer to 30%, although most people will say it's about 5% to 10%. We had one team in our league a few years ago that the entire lineup may have been on it.

"Come on, you just don't put on 50 pounds of muscle overnight, and hit balls out of stadiums. I'm seeing guys now who were washed up five years ago, and now they've got bat speed they've never had before. It's insane.

"You can usually pick them out, because eventually they start to get back problems."

There is no testing for steroid use in baseball. No baseball player has ever been suspended for steroid use, and even if a player were caught using steroids, baseball demands no penalty and offers no rehabilitation.

"I'd love to see testing myself," said Chicago White Sox first baseman Frank Thomas, one of baseball's big men at 6 feet 5 and 268 pounds. "If it can be done in every other sport, why not ours? At least it would get rid of the suspicions."

Added Thomas, who said he gained 35 pounds during the off-season, "I went in to see my doctor this winter, and he even asked me, `Hey, are you on steroids?' It's a question people are going to ask, especially (of) the big power hitters, unless something is done about it."

Said Padre all-star right fielder Tony Gwynn, "It's like the big secret we're not supposed to talk about, but believe me, we wonder just like the rest of people. I'm standing out there in the outfield when a guy comes up, and I'm thinking, `Hey, I wonder if this guy is on steroids.' I think we all have our suspicions who's on the stuff, but unless someone comes out and admits to it, who'll ever know for sure?"

Bud Selig, acting commissioner, said the topic was last addressed by owners in a private meeting a year or 18 months ago. The conclusion was that no one had any evidence that steroid use should be a concern.

"If baseball has a problem, I must say candidly that we were not aware of it," Selig said. "It certainly hasn't been talked about much. But should we concern ourselves as an industry? I don't know. Maybe it's time to bring it up again."

Said Kevin Malone, the Montreal Expos' general manager, "I'd like to see some measures taken. The game of baseball is supposed to be about purity and fairness, but if individuals are going around and getting an unfair advantage because of steroid use, we should do something about it.

"You hear the rumors that usage is way up, and it would be nice to know if those are accurate."

The Major League Players Assn., which prohibits random drug testing for any non-drug offender at the major league level, said steroid testing would violate individual rights. Without the consent of the players, there won't be steroid testing soon.

"We've got guys out there willing to risk their lives just for a piece of glory," Dodger relief pitcher Todd Worrell said. "But the problem is baseball's inability to set a policy and stand by the policy. If they set a policy, and stood up to it, it'd be different.

"But right now, there's no policy and nobody out there to enforce it.

"And until we do, we'll continue to have (steroid) problems, finger-pointing and controversy."
Old 02-19-2009, 06:37 PM

forgot about tony gwynn. i vote for him as the greatest modern day hitter.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:16 PM

Report: A-Rod tipped pitches, juiced while on Yankees

and it gets worse...or better (depending on who you are)

http://www.newsday.com/iphone/ny-spa...,5735889.story

Joe Girardi's pregame news conference began Thursday with a barrage of questions about the latest allegations surrounding Alex Rodriguez and one question about swine flu.

Just your typical day around the Yankees.

For the record: A-Rod did not cause the swine flu outbreak; the question was about whether Girardi is concerned about the disease, given that the Yankees travel a lot. (He is, but the team is taking every precaution.)

Rodriguez was the subject of more speculation Thursday after published reports cited some details from the upcoming Selena Roberts book, "A-Rod."

And making it a totally A-Rod-centric early evening before the Yankees hosted the Angels was the baseball part of the story. Rodriguez played in his first extended spring training rehab game Thursday as he recovers from hip surgery and appears on schedule to join the Yankees before the original estimate of May 15.

Rodriguez went 1-for-6 with a home run and two walks as the designated hitter and then spoke to reporters afterward in Tampa, Fla. He did not discuss the allegations from the book that were reported on Thursday.

In the report, a high school teammate of A-Rod's told Roberts that Rodriguez was on steroids as a high school player and that his coach knew it - an allegation the coach, Rich Hofman, denied.

It also said an unnamed major-leaguer is quoted as saying A-Rod and former Yankees pitcher Kevin Brown were seen together with human growth hormone in 2004. The book, according to the report, also says that two anonymous Yankees said they believed A-Rod was using banned substances based on visual side effects, and that a clubhouse staffer said management had a suspicion that the third baseman may have been juicing.

According to the report, the book also accuses Rodriguez of tipping pitches to opponents during blowouts and that he expected those players to reciprocate when he needed a hit and it would not affect the outcome of games.

"I'm not going there,'' he said of the new steroid allegations. "I'm just so excited about being back on the field and playing baseball. My team has won two games [in a row] up there and hopefully I can come back and help them win some more.''

Roberts' book is scheduled to be released Monday. She is one of the Sports Illustrated reporters who broke the story of A-Rod's failed drug test when he was a member of the Texas Rangers. Rodriguez later admitted to using a banned substance from 2001-03.

"I'm in a good place," Rodriguez said Thursday. "I think more importantly, physically I feel like I'm getting better every day. We've had a great week here. We've worked extremely hard, and I'm just very anxious to do what God put me on this Earth to do, to play baseball.''

Girardi and general manager Brian Cashman would not comment on the specifics of the report.

Compiled from staff and wire reports. This story was supplemented with an Associated Press report.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
tipping pitches to opponents is worse than juicing IMO
Old 05-01-2009, 05:28 PM
Benchwarmer

Originally Posted by paz840
tipping pitches to opponents is worse than juicing IMO
That just shows he's a bad teammate, which we already knew (if it's true). Juicing is cheating the other team. And we're crystal clear he's done this.