Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!
View Poll Results: Is your team in cap hell?
Yes
0%
No
0%
Don't care
0%
Go Nordiques!
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Hockey: News and Discussion Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 10:57 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by fdl
Our how about this gem from a game earlier this year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nttgE3RUA8

fdl, I thought you were for fighting?
Old 03-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dom
Have you seen fdl's link above?

Severe injuries are rare but guys are always hurting their hands, cuts, bruises and the chance that they'll smack their head on the ice when they go down.

Its only a matter of time before somebody is very seriously hurt.

Same with boarding, hits from behind, elbows etc etc etc.. Do you think we should take away hitting?

It's a risk that comes with the game. When they drop the gloves they are deciding they want to fight.. It's their choice..
Old 03-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
Come on Jonsei, at least provide some backup for that claim.

Why isn't it a part of the playoffs, the world championships, the Olympics, international hockey etc?

Its only a part of the NHL.

I see this thread is turning into should we allow goons and instigators in the league..
Old 03-27-2007, 11:01 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
fdl, I thought you were for fighting?

Oh I am, just pointing out that guys sometimes CAN get hurt.

Hockey is a very rough sport, but thats part of the appeal. There really is no other sport where acting like an ass or playing dirty will get you a healthy dose of street justice.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:02 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Jonesi
Same with boarding, hits from behind, elbows etc etc etc.. Do you think we should take away hitting?

It's a risk that comes with the game. When they drop the gloves they are deciding they want to fight.. It's their choice..
Apples and oranges. Hitting is a part of the game. It happens in a a split second. Fighting is pre-meditated. There is an entire thought process that goes into it.

No one is suggesting hitting be removed from the game, although hitting from behind and elbowing should defiantly be removed.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fdl
will get you a healthy dose of street justice.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:03 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Part of the "problem" now is that the guys are so big. Look at a guy like Boogard, 6'7 260 lbs. If you are dumb enough to fight him (a la fedoruk) there is a chance you are going to get hurt.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by fdl
Did you click on my link above? The whole reason its an issue is because players are getting hurt.

And shoving in football is not fighting. Guys delivering bare knuckle blows to the face with no intervention from players or refs ( as seen in hockey ) = fighting.

Whiskers, I'm guessing you don't watch much hockey?
Well, not much anymore...

And I will check the link out later...
Old 03-27-2007, 11:04 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I see this thread is turning into should we allow goons and instigators in the league..
If they can contribute, why not. Having a player on your roster to play 2 to 4 minutes a game for the sole purpose of nailing someone of fighting has no place in the game.

Jannsen played 4 minutes against Toronto last week.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:05 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fdl
There really is no other sport where acting like an ass or playing dirty will get you a healthy dose of street justice.

lol...Ever wonder why that is? How come other sports haven't figured out what a great thing street justice is and allowed it into their game?
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
Yes, it should stay in the game
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
Apples and oranges. Hitting is a part of the game. It happens in a a split second. Fighting is pre-meditated. There is an entire thought process that goes into it.

No one is suggesting hitting be removed from the game, although hitting from behind and elbowing should defiantly be removed.

Good point.. But I think that fighting is pre-meditated from the direction the game is headed.. If there's cheap shots and shit going on that shouldn't then guys step up and change the direction of the game..

Self governing..
Old 03-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
If they can contribute, why not. Having a player on your roster to play 2 to 4 minutes a game for the sole purpose of nailing someone of fighting has no place in the game.

Jannsen played 4 minutes against Toronto last week.

And guess what, those are the guys that are going to go out and hurt a Crosby, Ovechicken, Kovalchuck etc.. They are the ones that turn a normal game into a fight fest..

So Dom, why don't you see these guys in competition play?
Old 03-27-2007, 11:09 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Good point.. But I think that fighting is pre-meditated from the direction the game is headed.. If there's cheap shots and shit going on that shouldn't then guys step up and change the direction of the game..

Self governing..

No arguing that point. The self governing works. But players shouldn't be in that position to begin with. That kinda stuff leads directly to the Steve Moore situations. The league should be responsible for policing its players.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:11 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

So Dom, why don't you see these guys in competition play?

What do you mean by competition play?
Old 03-27-2007, 11:12 AM
Just dial 1911

Its part of Hockey and it adds to the excitement and drama. When I was growing up on Long Island I went to many Islanders games. One game I will remember for the rest of my life was an Islanders/Bruins game. Pat Lafontane got boarded, head first, and knocked out cold. A bench clearing brawl ensued, multiple players ejected, BOTH coaches ejected. Its was beyond awesome.

Its also part of the intimidation factor. If someone has a good brawler on their team, the other team is probably less apt to check as aggressively. And ultimately is comes down to the coach if he wants to send his enforcer on the ice to start shit, so its a game tactic the coach has in his pocket.

Yea, better hockey is played in the playoffs, but who wants to sit on the bench when the next game you lose could be your last? Thats not the case in the regular season. Again, a coach desition and he's not going to mess around on a 1-1 tie game in the playoffs with fighting.
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
What do you mean by competition play?

"Why isn't it a part of the playoffs, the world championships, the Olympics, international hockey etc?" I just grouped it into "Competition Play"...
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CLpower
Yes, it should stay in the game

Scott do you watch hockey? give us some background for that answer. Your the typical Californian I want to hear from on this.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
No arguing that point. The self governing works. But players shouldn't be in that position to begin with. That kinda stuff leads directly to the Steve Moore situations. The league should be responsible for policing its players.

They aren't in that position. They have to make the decision to drop the gloves..

I won't argue the league should step in and say something..
Old 03-27-2007, 11:15 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

"Why isn't it a part of the playoffs, the world championships, the Olympics, international hockey etc?" I just grouped it into "Competition Play"...

You don't see them there because they can't contribute on the sroreheet and will likely do more harm than good. Unless these guys can contribute by scoring or dishing out great hits, they shouldn't be there.

If they are there to legally throw their body around for 5 minutes a game than I'm ok with it. Like you said, hitting can change the outcome of a game.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Senior Moderator

You know I think the MakeBeliefs need some superstars to protect..
Old 03-27-2007, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i could care less but i still think it shouldn't be in the game...it's the only sport that allows it and dont give a shit if they do fight and get hurt. I admit, i don't know hockey's history so i assume it's probably been a part of the game for however long since it's sucha physical sport, but either way I don't think it's necessary - i agree with dom though that there should be stiffer penalties if it's going to happen regardless.

from fdl's video (i think) that he posted a few days ago:

announcer - 'oh boy, i hope he's not hurt' after guy gets knocked unconscious during the fight....what do you expect after a fight sherlock, lol seriously - i just find that comment funny in that situation where fighting was allowed.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:20 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by joerockt
Its part of Hockey and it adds to the excitement and drama. When I was growing up on Long Island I went to many Islanders games. One game I will remember for the rest of my life was an Islanders/Bruins game. Pat Lafontane got boarded, head first, and knocked out cold. A bench clearing brawl ensued, multiple players ejected, BOTH coaches ejected. Its was beyond awesome.

Its also part of the intimidation factor. If someone has a good brawler on their team, the other team is probably less apt to check as aggressively. And ultimately is comes down to the coach if he wants to send his enforcer on the ice to start shit, so its a game tactic the coach has in his pocket.

Yea, better hockey is played in the playoffs, but who wants to sit on the bench when the next game you lose could be your last? Thats not the case in the regular season. Again, a coach desition and he's not going to mess around on a 1-1 tie game in the playoffs with fighting.

Don't get me wrong. I love watching fighting in Hockey, basketball, baseball etc. Its fun. But I could live without it.

So basically the regular season is alot less important than the playoffs. obviously. So that leads to less entertaining games which explains why no one in the US watches hockey.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:23 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by dom
Don't get me wrong. I love watching fighting in Hockey, basketball, baseball etc. Its fun. But I could live without it.

So basically the regular season is alot less important than the playoffs. obviously. So that leads to less entertaining games which explains why no one in the US watches hockey.
NO, you wanna know why no one watches hockey? The frickin 20 mins in between periods!! I swear I think thats the main reason and it still pisses me off. If they went with 4 quarters just like football, I bet it would become more popular.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:26 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

You know I think the MakeBeliefs need some superstars to protect..

Lets say Belak takes out Crosby with a cheap shot. What would you prefer?

- A lengthy suspension?
- Georges Larouqe kicking the crap out of Belak next game and in turn in jurying Belak
- Or a lengthy suspension and Larouque kicking the crap out out of him?

This business of taking the law into your own hands only happens in the NHL. If the league nailed Belak with a 20 to 30 gamer with no pay. He's be thinking about it next time. Thats alot more severe than simply having to drop the gloves next time out.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:27 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by dom
So basically the regular season is alot less important than the playoffs. obviously. So that leads to less entertaining games...
But EVERY sport is like that. More people watch playoff games because they have more implications.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
You don't see them there because they can't contribute on the sroreheet and will likely do more harm than good. Unless these guys can contribute by scoring or dishing out great hits, they shouldn't be there.

If they are there to legally throw their body around for 5 minutes a game than I'm ok with it. Like you said, hitting can change the outcome of a game.

See I don't see a difference between fighting and hitting/cheap shots to get a star player off his game.. I think of them all in the same.. We all know they're out there for one reason.. And I think fights stem from that Bullshit..
Old 03-27-2007, 11:29 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Originally Posted by dom
Scott do you watch hockey? give us some background for that answer. Your the typical Californian I want to hear from on this.

been to a dozen or so games, will watch it on TV on occasion. I just enjoy the fighting, I think taking it away would take away from the fan base, excitement. It's just a few punches, a hard check does a lot more damage most of the time. Who cares if they throw a few blows.

But then again I think basketball is a pussy sport because every little bump and shove is a foul.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:29 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by joerockt
NO, you wanna know why no one watches hockey? The frickin 20 mins in between periods!! I swear I think thats the main reason and it still pisses me off. If they went with 4 quarters just like football, I bet it would become more popular.

No your talking crazy.

I was at the Raptors game the other night. At the half I went to get some coffee, By the time I got back the fawkin 3rd quarter had already started. I needed more time!!

Hockey players need the rest. But more importantly the ice needs time to heal after the Zamboni cleans it. Putting them out there too soon results in bad ice and poor play with more injuries.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:31 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

been to a dozen or so games, will watch it on TV on occasion. I just enjoy the fighting, I think taking it away would take away from the fan base, excitement. It's just a few punches, a hard check does a lot more damage most of the time. Who cares if they throw a few blows.

But then again I think basketball is a pussy sport because every little bump and shove is a foul.

I'm pretty sure most American males in that 18-35 range feel the same way, which is why they'll likely never get rid of it.

But as much as most of you guys love watching the fights, the ratings and attendance in the US still stinks.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom

- A lengthy suspension?
- Georges Larouqe kicking the crap out of Belak next game and in turn in jurying Belak

This business of taking the law into your own hands only happens in the NHL. If the league nailed Belak with a 20 to 30 gamer with no pay. He's be thinking about it next time. Thats alot more severe than simply having to drop the gloves next time out.

Winner.. And guess what that guy and the rest of the league is going to think twice about doing shit to Crosby..

Therrien has several times put Laraque on Crosby's line when there's shit going on. And he's done the same for Malkin and Staal.. And as you can probably guess the other team backed down pretty quick..

And in turn has given Crosby and Malkin more room on the ice..

It changed the tone of the game without any gloves being thrown down.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:36 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Winner.. And guess what that guy and the rest of the league is going to think twice about doing shit to Crosby..

Therrien has several times put Laraque on Crosby's line when there's shit going on. And he's done the same for Malkin and Staal.. And as you can probably guess the other team backed down pretty quick..

And in turn has given Crosby and Malkin more room on the ice..
No doubt.

But why don't NFL teams have a goon to protect their stars against hard hits? Why don't they need to send the message that hitting the QB after he throws will not be tolerated?

Why, because the NFL actually penalizes players for doing those things while the NHL turns a blind eye. A 15 yard penalty in the NFL is equivalent to a 4 minute penalty in the NHL, which almost never happens unless a guy gets cut.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:49 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by dom

But as much as most of you guys love watching the fights, the ratings and attendance in the US still stinks.

hell yea it does, because they go to commercial when fights start
Old 03-27-2007, 11:51 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

hell yea it does, because they go to commercial when fights start
Are you serious?
Old 03-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
No doubt.

But why don't NFL teams have a goon to protect their stars against hard hits? Why don't they need to send the message that hitting the QB after he throws will not be tolerated?

Why, because the NFL actually penalizes players for doing those things while the NHL turns a blind eye. A 15 yard penalty in the NFL is equivalent to a 4 minute penalty in the NHL, which almost never happens unless a guy gets cut.

Because they have like 15 refs that can throw flags.. And see shit behind the play..

If a ref in the NHL isn't making calls or doesn't see the penalties then Laraque will start to make the calls..
Old 03-27-2007, 11:54 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Because they have like 15 refs that can throw flags.. And see shit behind the play..

If a ref in the NHL isn't making calls or doesn't see the penalties then Laraque will start to make the calls..

More often than not, things aren't missed in the NHL. More ofetn than not, they choose not to blow their whistle. If 2 ref's aren't enough, allow linesmen to make calls, or at least be able to tell a ref what happened. Not sure if they already do that though?
Old 03-27-2007, 11:57 AM
Senior Moderator

But Dom I'm curious.. You said in your original statement basically you want every game to be like the Playoffs, International play etc. but in these games there aren't "Instigators"

I know you support the instigators but don't support fighting.. Why??

Personally I think there are more injuries occured from cheap shots and shit then fighting.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
More often than not, things aren't missed in the NHL. More ofetn than not, they choose not to blow their whistle. If 2 ref's aren't enough, allow linesmen to make calls, or at least be able to tell a ref what happened. Not sure if they already do that though?

Are you serious that they don't miss calls?

Don't get me started.. I'm so sick of these fvckin "Make Up Calls" from a previous play that it's ridiculous..

The linesmen should be able to make calls..
Old 03-27-2007, 12:01 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom

- A lengthy suspension?

Suspensions are rare, and not always called for.

It would have to be pretty bad for the league to suspend Belak for this. so for the REALLY viscious stuff, let the league handle it. But for the rest, let laroque handle it.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:03 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
Are you serious?

I think its just the ducks that do this, because of the whole Disney thing

Quick Reply: Hockey: News and Discussion Thread