Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

Golf: Tiger Woods Saga **Divorce Settlement Reached (page 8)**

Old 12-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,478 Likes on 3,071 Posts
Woods Named Athlete of the Decade

I'm sure there will be outrage about this
Originally Posted by ESPN
Even after a shocking sex scandal that tarnished Tiger Woods, it was tough to ignore what he achieved on the golf course.

He won 64 times around the world, including 12 majors, and hoisted a trophy on every continent golf is played. He lost only one time with the lead going into the final round. His 56 PGA Tour victories in one incomparable decade were more than anyone except four of golf's greatest players won in their careers.

Woods was selected Wednesday as the Athlete of the Decade by members of The Associated Press in a vote that was more about 10 years of performance than nearly three weeks of salacious headlines.

Just like so many of his victories, it wasn't much of a contest.

Woods received 56 of the 142 votes cast by AP member editors since last month. More than half of the ballots were returned after the Nov. 27 car accident outside his Florida home that set off sensational tales of infidelity.

Lance Armstrong, a cancer survivor who won the Tour de France six times this decade, finished second with 33 votes. He was followed by Roger Federer, who won more Grand Slam singles titles than any other man, with 25 votes.

Record-setting Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps came in fourth with 13 votes, followed by New England quarterback Tom Brady (6) and sprinter Usain Bolt (4). Five other athletes received one vote apiece.

Woods, who has not been seen since the accident and has issued only three statements on his Web site, was not made available to comment about the award.

Few other athletes have changed their sport quite like Woods. His influence has been so powerful that TV ratings spiked whenever he played, even more when he has been in contention. Prize money has quadrupled since he joined the PGA Tour because of his broad appeal.

A new image emerged quickly in the days following his middle-of-the-night accident, when he ran his SUV over a fire hydrant and into a tree. He became the butt of late-night TV jokes, eventually confessed that he "let my family down" with "transgressions" and lost a major sponsorship from Accenture.

Even so, AP members found his work on the golf course over the last 10 years without much of a blemish. Woods took an early lead in balloting, and continued to receive roughly the same percentage of votes throughout the process.

"Despite the tsunami of negative publicity that will likely tarnish his image, there's no denying that Woods' on-the-course accomplishments set a new standard of dominance within his sport while making golf more accessible to the masses," wrote Stu Whitney, sports editor of the Sioux Falls (S.D.) Argus Leader.

"The only proof needed are the television ratings when Tiger plays in a golf tournament, compared to those events when others have to carry the load."

Woods tumbled from the pinnacle of his sport in just about three weeks. The 10 years that preceded that fall, however, represented perhaps the greatest decade in golf history.

He won the career Grand Slam three times over, including one U.S. Open by a record 15 shots at Pebble Beach and another U.S. Open on a mangled leg in a playoff at Torrey Pines. He twice won the British Open at St. Andrews, the home of golf, by a combined 13 shots.

Woods won 56 times on the PGA Tour this decade, a rate of 30 percent that is unprecedented in golf. Nine of those victories were by at least eight shots. He was No. 1 in the world ranking for all but 32 weeks in the decade, that when he was revamping his swing.

He did his best work in the biggest events.

Along with his 12 majors this decade -- he has 14 overall, four short of the record held by Jack Nicklaus -- Woods was runner-up in six other majors. He won 14 times out of 27 appearances in the World Golf Championships.

Woods finished the decade with $81,547,410 in earnings from his PGA Tour events, an average of $482,529 per tournament.
http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=4747530
Old 12-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,954 Likes on 14,065 Posts
^ I hope not.

Key word: ATHLETE. What he does with women outside of the sport has nothing to do with being an athlete.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:42 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Agreed. What he did off the course has NOTHING to do with what he did on it. Which was obviously significant.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:45 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
^ I hope not.

Key word: ATHLETE. What he does with women outside of the sport has nothing to do with being an athlete.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:50 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I can just see how the conversation went.

[first report comes out that Tiger had a mistress]
Elin: Is it true? Were you sleeping with this woman?
Tiger: Yes, it's true. I've sorry. I messed up, but it was only this one person and it's over.
Elin: I'm really hurt and upset, but we can make it through this.

[reports of other affairs surface]
Elin: You lied to me. You said there was only one.
Tiger: Sorry. I really screwed up. It won't happen again. I promise.
Elin: Okay. I'm even more pissed, but with a lot of work and therapy, we can get through this.

[yet more reports]
Elin: WTF?!?!?! You a$$hole.
Tiger: [realizing there is no escaping the inevitable] What can I say? I'm the modern day Wilt Chamberlain. If you can't deal with it, pack your $hit up and leave.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:58 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ I hope not.

Originally Posted by moeronn
I can just see how the conversation went.

[first report comes out that Tiger had a mistress]
Elin: Is it true? Were you sleeping with this woman?
Tiger: Yes, it's true. I've sorry. I messed up, but it was only this one person and it's over.
Elin: I'm really hurt and upset, but we can make it through this.

[reports of other affairs surface]
Elin: You lied to me. You said there was only one.
Tiger: Sorry. I really screwed up. It won't happen again. I promise.
Elin: Okay. I'm even more pissed, but with a lot of work and therapy, we can get through this.

[yet more reports]
Elin: WTF?!?!?! You a$$hole.
Tiger: [realizing there is no escaping the inevitable] What can I say? I'm the modern day Wilt Chamberlain. If you can't deal with it, pack your $hit up and leave.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/091211

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...flpicks/091211
Old 12-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,478 Likes on 3,071 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Agreed. What he did off the course has NOTHING to do with what he did on it. Which was obviously significant.
I agree as well, I still feel people will be angered given his off the course activities, not saying me
Old 12-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
i don't even think Elin's hot. she's just average
Old 12-16-2009, 06:38 PM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by The Dougler
meh I dont blame him. Think about it he grew up a golf nerd, probably had a hard time getting ass before he hit mainstream. even when he was in college his dad was always on him pushing his golf career. He never had the chance to chase some strange like most people did before they got hitched. If you think about it, he was the head of a billion dollar brand by the time most people were figuring out how to pick up chicks. Sucks he's destroyed his marriage but I'm not all that shocked, I wouldn't be surprised if elin was the first women that he's had any real relationship with and that's why he popped the question because he had no idea wtf he wanted in a partner.
You hit the nail on the head!
Old 12-16-2009, 08:54 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
^ I hope not.

If people can forget what Vick and Stallworth did, Tiger has NOTHING to worry about. This is smaller than a speed bump in his career and life.

Tiger needs to consider this a lesson learned and don't get married again (at least until he retires).

As far as Elin, she will get some big book deal or a We/Oxygen Network movie deal because her "life was ruined by a superstar".
Old 01-06-2010, 02:43 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/...urn=nhl,212110

Before he became a Stanley Cup-winning head coach, Pat Burns was a police officer and now that he's living in Florida, he's made some friends in the Florida Highway Patrol. So when Tiger Woods crashed his SUV into a tree in late-November, Burns reached out to his local police buddies to get the inside scoop on what really went down that night.

Burns revealed what he found out during an interview with CKAC Sports radio in Montreal this week. According to the former NHL coach, Woods was knocked in the face with a golf club by his wife, Elin Nordegren, and was left with a deep cut on his cheek and down two front teeth after she confronted him after reading text messages from one of the golfer's numerous mistresses.

From the Phoenix New Times:

"He kept saying there was nothing there. He went to watch television ... then suddenly, bang! A nine-iron in the face!" Burns tells the station. "He left the house running without shoes. Elin followed him with the club. He left in his Escalade. She followed him and broke two or three windows. That's why he hit the tree."

Burns went on to say that the current Vanity Fair cover boy flew to Phoenix for emergency dental and plastic surgery, making him unavailable to local police after the news broke.

From the Ottawa Sun:

"They took him to hospital in Orlando. Elin was in the ambulance with him and called his agent. He suggested that they meet at the hospital. Once there, the doctors said he needed plastic surgery to repair the broken teeth, but only one institution could do it, in Phoenix (Arizona). The agent warmed up the jet to he could leave for Phoenix where they could fix his face. This explains (Woods') absence when the police wanted to meet him the following days," Pat Burns told the station.

With that kind of detective work and his police sources, Burns could grab a post-hockey job with the upcoming TMZ Sports or at least with Scooby-Doo and the gang.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Senior Moderator

^ So, Woods truly has smile now...
Old 01-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
Damn Tiger....you got knocked the f**k out.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:05 PM

So the message was picture of the mistress with a caption of "Would you hit this" and Elin saw it and said "No, but I'll hit THIS!" <THWAP>

He must have still been unconscious when riding in the ambulance, cause after hitting him like that I don't think he'd want her any where near him.

And at the thread tags
Tags
gigalo, gigilo, gigolo, page, tiger, woods
Old 01-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
^^^^

Old 01-06-2010, 04:00 PM

Old 01-06-2010, 04:14 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
I still believe she bashed out all the windows trying to get him out
Old 01-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Scottman111

Imagine what you would do if yummycheeks cheated on you.. Let's be real here..
Old 01-06-2010, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Scottman111
100%. It's tough getting a square hit on him while he's still in the vehicle.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:48 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
I think the story may be bogus....I got a chain email with a very similar story back on December 21:

This was forwarded to me by a friend who received it from Bruce Williams, who is a well-respected Head Green Keepers in America. He is very well connected in the golf industry and was surprised this came his way. I cannot vouch for anyone other than the person who sent it to, who does not light forward unfounded rumors. However, I cannot vouch the accuracy of the bizarre story. Although as they say...truth is sometimes stranger than fiction. ......you catch the drift...on to the email:

As you all know Tiger's agent is Mark Steinberg. I have a Member who lives 10 houses down from Tiger in Isleworth. My Member plays golf with and is a good friend of an IMG insider who got the following information directly from Steinberg and related it to me. I was told that the following is up to date as of yesterday.

On Thanksgiving Day, after he and Elin and the family had Turkey Dinner, Tiger spent the rest of the afternoon on the couch watching football and texting Rachel. After he received and sent text message back and forth to Rachel, he would clear his message box to destroy the evidence. At some point during the afternoon texting session, one of Tiger's Orlando buds called him to see if he wanted to get together at the Clubhouse to play poker with the guys. Tiger agreed and left the house around 7:30 to go play poker. He left behind his cell phone....and one message he had forgot to delete from Rachel.

When Tiger returned home around 11:30 -12 that night, Elin confronted him about the text message she had found on his phone. A heated discussion ensued. According to what I was told, there was more "incriminating evidence" than just the text message (i.e. photos). Tiger told Elin that she was reading too much in to it, and that she did not know the whole story. Tiger went upstairs to change into his gym shorts and t-shirt, came back downstairs were Elin confronted him, again. Tiger gave her the same story as before and sat down in a chair in the living room.

Elin sat across from him. She urged Tiger to just come clean. Tiger stuck to his story and denied everything. At one point Tiger turned away to look at the TV, and as he turned back, Elin, enraged, hit him on the right side of the face with the head of a 9 - iron. When she struck Tiger, she put a huge gash in the right side of his face next to his nose (causing his nose to bruise some), virtually knocked out two of his upper teeth, and broke the bone on the upper right side.

Tiger, scared as hell, ran down the hallway, out of the house to the garage (explaining why he had on no shoes) followed by Elin swinging the golf club. Tiger hopped into the Escalade and tried to leave. As we know Elin knocked out the windows in the Escalade in the process as well as doing considerable damage in the hallway.

When Tiger crashed, Elin panicked and was not sure what to tell the police (which is why there are two conflicting stories from her). When this happened, Elin immediately called Mark Steinberg to tell him what happened, and Mark told Elin to tell him what hospital they were going to, and he would meet them there.

If you remember FHP kept showing up at Isleworth to talk to Tiger, and was told by another FL attorney, hired by Tiger for PR reasons, that Tiger was not ready to talk. This is why.

As amazing as it may seem, Tiger was in Phoenix . Tiger was originally transported to the hospital in Orlando with Elin in the ambulance where they were met by Mr. Steinberg. Tiger was taken in for X-Rays, etc. to assess the damage. The doctors told Steinberg there was not much they coukd do to repair the teeth and the gash, but did know a cosmetic dentist and plastic surgeon in Phoenix who could make Tiger look as if nothing happened. Tiger told Steinberg to get the jet ready and he and Steinberg flew to Phoenix to see the surgeon. The resulting procedures were more intense than what everyone had expected which meant Tiger was in PHX longer than expected. Tiger and Steinberg did not arrive back in Orlando until either late last Wednesday night or early Thursday morning.

Since arriving back in Orlando , Tiger and Elin have been in intense marriage conseling sessions (up to 6 to 7 hours a day) every day! Both Tiger and Elin have told the counselors they love each other, and want to make the marriage work.. The reports you are reading on TMZ and RadarOnline are about 30% accurate at best according to Mark.

Tiger has not returned to his house at Isleworth since the day of the accident except for the therapy sessions. IMG has enlisted the assistance of one of its most recognized sports figures, and Tiger has taken up residence in his neighborhood - Bay Hill. Because of the high regard in which Tiger holds him and based on his public persona when he was at the height of his game, the person IMG contacted was Arnold Palmer. He has agreed to intervene with Tiger. IMG is convinced that if anyone can get through to Tiger, Mr. Palmer may be the only person who can.

As to other rumors, my source claims that the moving trucks being shown on TMZ and RadarOnline are moving out pictures and furniture which was damaged during their Thanksgiving Day argument - not because of Elin moving out. Yes, Elin has retained a divorce attorney, but has not filed any papers. As of yesterday, she had no intention on doing so.

Tiger has not made any public appearances or statements due to the surgery and plastic surgery he had in PHX. It will be about another month if not more before he gets in front of a camera. Yes, Tiger is hitting golf balls late at night at Bay Hill out of their teaching center (which is equipped with lights). In regards to Tiger's boat being in Palm Beach this week, along with Rachel; that part is true. However, Tiger is not on the boat, is not in Palm Beach , and Rachel is not on the boat. Her parents live 6 blocks from where the boat is, but that is it.

That is as up to date as I have........
Old 01-06-2010, 06:48 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

You dare question the reporting integrity of Pat Burns
Old 01-06-2010, 06:55 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by dom
You dare question the reporting integrity of Pat Burns
The same Pat Burns who said this of Barry Melrose (hair) in 1993:

Burns responding by referring to Melrose as "Billy Ray Cyrus".
ahhhhh......good times back then.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Senior Moderator

http://www.snopes.com/risque/adultery/tigerwoods.asp
Old 01-06-2010, 07:01 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

That being said....I believe the old fat Pat Burns from 1993....the current Pat Burns...not so much.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:25 AM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Tiger's Transgressions

http://www.atom.com/fun_games/tiger_...?xrs=eml_12170

Coming soon to PS3, XBOX and Wii. It's in the game...
Old 01-10-2010, 12:55 AM
I shoot people

Received 3,059 Likes on 1,484 Posts
all this talk about Tiger and his hoes... but no one's talking about how happy the other golfers on the PGA tour are
Old 01-10-2010, 07:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,672 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibonacci
http://www.atom.com/fun_games/tiger_...?xrs=eml_12170

Coming soon to PS3, XBOX and Wii. It's in the game...

2 under par
7 mistresses silent
2 babbling

not bad first time out.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by is300eater
all this talk about Tiger and his hoes... but no one's talking about how happy the other golfers on the PGA tour are
no more playing for second place.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater
I'm pretty they wouldn't even be making that much money if it weren't for Tiger. He's done so much for the sport..

At the same time, most golfers I talk to can't stand him because of his personality and the way he approaches the game.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:26 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4

2 under par
7 mistresses silent
2 babbling

not bad first time out.
4 under par
8 silenced
1 blabbing
Old 01-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Senior Moderator

GM Terminates Car Loan Agreement

Story here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8458194.stm
Old 01-26-2010, 07:36 PM
Senior Moderator

New Details Emerge...

From Chicagosports...

The author of a story that claims to reveal the details leading up to Tiger Woods' SUV crash on Thanksgiving weekend says Woods put his mistress on the phone with wife Elin Nordegren a few days before the incident in an effort to convince her that he wasn't cheating.

Speaking to Greg Jarrett of WGN-AM 720 on Tuesday, author Gerald Posner of the Web site The Daily Beast -- citing discussions he has had with Nordegren's friends -- said Woods arranged the conversation between his wife and Rachel Uchitel in an effort to defuse an upcoming National Enquirer story that was going to claim Woods was having an affair.

Photo: New details are being reported about the incident involving Tiger Woods and wife Elin Nordegren. (AP)

"(Rachel) called Tiger's wife, had a half-hour conversation with her, and at the end of that call -- according to Elin's friends -- she was convinced they were just friends," Posner said. "On Thanksgiving, more information came out about the purported affair. Elin got aggravated, they had a fight, and Tiger threw the towel in, said, 'I'm going to sleep,' took an Ambien, a sleeping pill, and went to bed."

This is when Nordegren looked at Woods' cellphone, which he had left out, Posner said.

"On that cellphone he had text messages (from Uchitel). ... His wife went through it," Posner said. "She found one message that said to Rachel, 'You're the only one I've loved.' That was absolutely a killer, of course. And then she decided to text the mistress, pretending she was Tiger, saying, 'When am I going to see you? I miss you.' And Rachel Uchitel wrote back saying, 'I'm surprised you're awake.' And that indicated to the wife that obviously they had talked that night.

"His wife actually had the courage to call the girlfriend and said, 'I know it was you!' The girlfriend said an expletive and hung up the phone. At that point, Elin ... explodes, wakes up Tiger -- who's in a stupor because of his Ambien -- and he compounds the situation. He locks himself in the bathroom for a few minutes. When he comes out, Elin grabs his phone, which he'd taken in with him, and he has sent yet another text message to Rachel Uchitel saying something to the effect of, 'She knows, I'm packing, possible divorce.' "

At that point, Nordegren "loses it," Posner said.

"She starts -- according to her friends -- to hit him with her fists on his chest and on his arms, and then she grabs a golf club." Posner said. "He hightails it out of there, gets into the Escalade barefoot, and the next thing you know is the accident, he hits the hydrant and slams into a tree, she's chasing him with the golf club, and that's the accident that starts to unravel everything for him."

Posner said his sources didn't know the details of how the rear windows in the Escalade were knocked out, with one saying Woods tried to protect his wife by telling police that she shattered the windows trying to free him.

According to Posner, representatives for Woods -- who reportedly is at a sex-addiction rehab clinic in Mississippi -- did not reply to multiple requests for comment.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:45 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Elin = Crazy cunt
Old 01-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Elin hopes to save marriage

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/01/2...iref=allsearch

(PEOPLE.com) -- Elin Nordegren is hoping to save her marriage to Tiger Woods because she doesn't want to raise their two children without a father.

"Elin wants a solid family life," a Florida source told PEOPLE. "She was a child of divorce and felt her dad slighted her. She absolutely does not want that to happen to Sam and Charlie. So she wants to keep her family together even if she and Tiger live together as friends instead of lovers."

During the past week, Nordegren, 30, reportedly visited her husband at the Gentle Path sexual addiction clinic in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, where he has been getting treatment.

During the middle of the six-week counseling session, a patient's spouse is invited to visit for about a week, according to a former patient of the alcohol addiction section of the Hattiesburg clinic.

"This is the rough part where the patient has to admit to his wife that he [cheated]," the former patient told PEOPLE.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:14 PM

Old 01-26-2010, 11:10 PM
Senior Moderator

How do you get treatment for sex addiction...? Alot of cold showers and looking at ugly things...?
Old 01-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Senior Moderator

How do you get treatment for sex addiction...? Alot of cold showers and looking at ugly things...?
Treatment? A lifetime of guilt trip being laid on him by Elin for him being a typical guy as opposed to Ward Cleaver.....kind of makes divorce (even with heavy alimony) a reasonable alternative.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:05 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I am going to need another chinese news update with animation before I can understand what really went down
Old 01-28-2010, 07:53 AM
Keeping emos out of

Originally Posted by subinf
I am going to need another chinese news update with animation before I can understand what really went down
Can't wait for that video to come out
Old 02-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Woods to Speak Publicly

Press release...

Tiger Woods will end nearly three months of silence Friday when he speaks publicly for the first time since his middle-of-the-night car accident that sparked stunning revelations of infidelity.

However, his agent said Woods will not take any questions from a small group of media.

"This is not a press conference," Mark Steinberg said Wednesday.

It will be Woods' first public appearance since Nov. 27, when he crashed his SUV into a tree outside his Florida home. Woods' only comments since then have been made through his website.

"It will be good to see Tiger's face again, and see that he's actually out there somewhere," Stewart Cink said. "I think this is the beginning of the comeback process for him."

Woods is to speak at 11 a.m. Friday from the clubhouse at the TPC Sawgrass in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., home of the PGA Tour.

"This is all about the next step," Steinberg said. "He's looking forward to it."

Still, there was strict control over the appearance, typical of Woods' career.

Steinberg described the gathering as a "small group of friends, colleagues and close associates," who will listen to Woods apologize as he talks about the past and what he plans to do next. He said three wire services have been invited -- The Associated Press, Reuters and Bloomberg -- and he asked the Golf Writers Association of America to recommend pool reporters.

Only one camera will be in the room to provide live coverage via satellite. Steinberg said other writers with proper credentials could watch from a hotel ballroom more than a mile away.

"The first time out, he's better controlling it," Padraig Harrington said. "Over time, there will be questions. At the moment, the best thing is a more controlled environment and gradually ease his way back into it."

Steinberg said in an email announcing the public appearance, "While Tiger feels that what happened is fundamentally a matter between he and his wife, he also recognizes that he has hurt and let down a lot of other people who were close to him. He also let down his fans. He wants to begin the process of making amends and that's what he's going to discuss."

The timing is peculiar. It will be held during the third round of the Accenture Match Play Championship in Arizona, sure to steal attention away from the first big event of the year. Accenture was the first sponsor to drop Woods when he became embroiled in the sex scandal.

"He's got to come out at some point," Rory McIlroy said. "I suppose he might want to get something back against the sponsor that dropped him. No, I don't know. It just went on for so long. I'm sick of hearing about it. And I'm just looking forward to when he's getting back on the golf course."

PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem said he did not think Woods' appearance was going to undermine a World Golf Championship event.

"We have tournaments every week," Finchem said. "I think it's going to be a story in and of itself. A lot of people are going to be watching golf this week to see what the world of golf says about it, my guess is. So that will be a good thing."

As far as the PGA Tour's part in the Woods event, Finchem said: "We were asked to make the facility available and to help with the logistics. That's what we're doing."

Steinberg said only that Woods' appearance during the championship was "a matter of timing." Asked if it could have waited until Monday, he said, "No."

No other news conference this week drew a larger crowd of reporters than the 20 who surrounded Finchem, a testament to how Woods has dominated the conservation at the Match Play.

"We're all better off when he's playing," Adam Scott said. "I'm curious as to when he'll return to golf."

As for the timing?

"It's his choice," Scott said. "I guess the tour is hosting it there."

Woods made a spectacular fall from his perch atop golf. He was believed to have been the first athlete to gross US$1 billion in earnings and endorsements and, at 14 majors, was closing in on golf's record of 18 majors held by Jack Nicklaus.

It all collapsed in the early morning hours the day after Thanksgiving.

Over the last few months, Woods has been on the cover of gossip magazines and the butt of jokes on national talk shows.

In the days before Woods' accident, a National Enquirer story alleged the world's No. 1 golfer had been seeing a New York nightclub hostess. Following the crash, a stream of women came forward to claim they had romantic relationships with Woods. One woman provided Us Weekly magazine with a voicemail she said Woods left her three days before the crash, asking her to take his number off her phone.

Woods admitted to "infidelity" in a statement on his website in mid-December and has been on an indefinite break from golf ever since.

Ian Poulter, who went extra holes to win his opening match, was among those curious to hear what Woods had to say. His only hope was to hear about it later.

"Hopefully, I'll be on the golf course and not listening to it," he said.

Quick Reply: Golf: Tiger Woods Saga **Divorce Settlement Reached (page 8)**