Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

EPL, FIFA, MLS: News and Discussion Thread

Old 12-10-2022, 06:06 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,117 Likes on 801 Posts
Originally Posted by imj0257
Just wow. What a fucking game!

The Dutch comeback with their giants up front. What a fucking freekick to score the equalizer. Just wow...

Close scoring chances, posts, lots of entertaining brawls and cards. That was a fucking entertaining game.
Great matches on Friday. Hoping for more on Saturday.

I could see that Croatia goal coming at the end. Brazil only had the back 3 on defense in the Croatia counterattack. That's the problem with Brazil, everyone on the team wants to score a goal.

Unlucky for the Dutch. It was a real toss up in that game.

The best part of the tournament is that no one team looks really convincing so far.
Old 12-10-2022, 06:35 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Well, two good games today. Congrats to Morocco! Nice to have some new blood this far in the tourney!

IMO England looked like the better team, but France made the most of their chances. Either team would have deserved to win it. But the ref.... not a good day for him

I think it would be great if Croatia and Morocco could play for the final, but I think it would be pretty boring to watch. I want an Argentina vs France game from the entertainment aspect of it.
Old 12-12-2022, 09:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
Harry Fucking Kane. HOLY SHIT England!
Old 12-13-2022, 03:22 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

England sux forever. They are always bad, but the English speaking world (including the US) always fawns over them, I just don't understand it. Glad they are out.
Old 12-13-2022, 03:23 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Not sure that first goal for Argentina was a penalty. Probably a moot point since Croatia didn't really show up too much today.
Old 12-14-2022, 08:50 AM
Team Owner

Yeah Croatia was disappointing. Alvarez is a phenom and doesn't even start for Man City. So much talent.
Old 12-14-2022, 03:01 PM
Q('.')=O

Well he got some very lucky deflections to be able to score the goal, but it was a nice run.

Argentina vs France. Well deserved from both teams. Should be an exciting game.

FIFA needs to do away with the third place game... who the fuck cares about that?
Old 12-14-2022, 06:15 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

People have been saying to cancel the third place game for decades. It's as ingrained now as bad refereeing decisions.

France and Argentina should be good. Both sides have glaring weaknesses, so expect an exciting match.
Old 12-18-2022, 10:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,773 Likes on 13,967 Posts
Holy merde @ Le Frenchies.

Old 12-18-2022, 10:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Tide detergent.
Old 12-18-2022, 11:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Congrats to Argentina!
Old 12-18-2022, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

Received 385 Likes on 234 Posts
Messi the Goat!!! CR7 can kick rock
Old 12-19-2022, 08:38 AM
Q('.')=O

What a game!

Argentina was so close to winning it in regular time. Then extra time! But nope! Fantastic game. Overall, it was a great world cup.

Can't wait til it comes here in a 3 1/2 years. I definitely plan on going to one of the games since the stadium is so close.
Old 12-19-2022, 09:08 AM
Team Owner

Amazing match! The videos here are crazy since we have a good sized Argentinian population.
The following users liked this post:
DaChef320 (12-19-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 09:19 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Probably the best final ever. It's almost a shame one side had to win and the other lose.
Old 03-14-2023, 09:17 AM
Team Owner

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/14/s...up-format.html

[quote]Soccer’s 2026 World Cup in North America, already the largest and the longest in the tournament’s history because of an expansion of the field, is set to grow even more as FIFA leaders were poised to agree to a change in format that will add 24 more games.

The change will result in a marathon men’s soccer championship — 48 teams playing 104 games over as many as 40 days in three countries — and see the champion and the runner-up each play eight games instead of the current seven.

The format is expected to be approved on Tuesday after a meeting of the governing council of FIFA, soccer’s global governing body and the organizer of the World Cup. It was confirmed by multiple people familiar with the most recent discussions, none of whom would be quoted by name because the change has not been confirmed or announced.

The total of 104 World Cup matches would be a significant increase from previous plans that had called for 80 games, and 40 more than last year’s tournament in Qatar.
The change also will force organizers to clear more dates in the 16 cities they have chosen to host the World Cup, a potentially difficult scheduling dance for stadium officials already juggling a summer of sports, events and concerts in their giant arenas.

The 2026 tournament — co-hosted by the United States, Mexico and Canada — will be the first World Cup with 48 teams, expanded from the current 32-nation competition that has been in place since 1998.
Early discussions had centered around splitting the teams into 16 groups of three. But after the nail-biting finish to the group stage in Qatar last year, and with officials concerned about a situation in which three-team groups could be manipulated and teams would be eliminated after only two games, FIFA revisited the issue.The heads of soccer’s six confederations met with FIFA’s president, Gianni Infantino, on Monday night, and none raised any objection to the proposed format, according to the people familiar with the meeting. A formal confirmation is expected later on Tuesday, after a meeting where FIFA’s 36-member governing council is expected to similarly green-light the changes.

Adding extra games also will add extra days. Such a duration is likely to anger players’ unions and clubs already concerned about the heavy workload imposed on the game’s top stars. The North American World Cup is the first version of the men’s tournament to have been awarded since Infantino became FIFA president in 2016. While the expansion has been celebrated by many of the governing body’s smaller member nations because of the expanded opportunities to qualify it will provide and the billions of dollars in added revenue it will produce, many fans and commentators have expressed concerns the move will diminish the quality of the event.
Infantino has predicted the 2026 World Cup will generate a record-breaking payday; FIFA has budgeted for revenues of $11 billion in the four-year cycle to 2026, almost $4 billion more than it earned during the same period through to the Qatar World Cup.

A spokesman for FIFA did not comment on the proposed format for 2026.

Victor Montagliani, the head of the confederation for North America, recently suggested that changes were in store, telling a conference hosted by The Financial Times earlier this month that the issue was up for debate.

Montagliani questioned if it is “right that you qualify for a World Cup and a third of teams go home after two games?”

But he also conceded that the changes would not be without repercussions on soccer’s already tight global calendar.

“We do have to be responsible,” he said. “There was a footprint of days for 2014 and 2018 and we can’t go over that. We can’t have a three-month World Cup.”

One way of mitigating the impact of a longer tournament would be to reduce the preparation window for it. In previous years, it had been three weeks for qualified teams. (That window was shortened to a single week before the event in Qatar, the first to be played in November and December, placing it in the heart of the season for many domestic leagues.)
Montagliani also questioned whether the impact on player health would be as severe as players unions have warned.“Too many games only applies to the top 1 percent of players,” he said. “That is where the issue is. Actually the average professional does not play that much. The idea that they are all overplaying is not the reality.”
Old 03-17-2023, 01:11 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Too many games! It's obviously a money grab by FIFA.

The only benefit is that having more games could make some of the ticket prices more affordable if it drives down demand.
Old 06-07-2023, 04:28 PM
Race Director

Received 890 Likes on 540 Posts
this is insane
Turning down 1.2 billion eruos

Lionel Messi announces MLS move, turning down Barcelona: 'I made the decision that I'm going to go to Miami'

In a joint interview Mundo Deportivo and Sport the 35-year-old legend announced the decision

The Lionel Messi sweepstakes appear are over. The most coveted free agent in soccer history is set to sign with Major League Soccer's Inter Miami. The decision ends weeks of speculation about the Argentine star's future. Messi announced his move in an interview with Mundo Deportivo and Sport.

"I made the decision that I'm going to Miami. It is not finalized 100 percent. There are a few things left but we decided to continue down this path. If Barcelona didn't work out, I wanted to leave Europe, get out of the spotlight and think more about myself."
Ahead of the interview Jorge Mas, Inter Miami's president, seemed to confirm the signing with a tweet of a Messi jersey and then Inter Miami went ahead and tweeted it out.
The Athletic reported on Tuesday that MLS had come up with a creative pitch to sign him which included Apple offering a share of revenue generated by new subscribers to MLS Season Pass on Apple TV+, along with help from Adidas offering a profit-sharing agreement. MLS and Adidas have worked together since the league's inception in 1996, and the German brand had worked with Messi since 2006, signing a lifetime footwear deal in 2017, per The Athletic.

After the announcement, MLS formally confirmed that the deal is not quite done.
The 35-year-old superstar will officially leave PSG this month when his contract expires after two seasons with the French giants. After spending his entire career with Barcelona, he made the jump to France after his beloved team could no longer afford him under La Liga's financial rules, seeing an end to an iconic era at the club with diminutive Argentina as the face, winning every prize imaginable more than once.

Messi revealed that while he had offers from other clubs to stay in Europe, he never really considered them.

"I had offers from other European cubs but I didn't even consider them because my idea was to go to Barcelona and if it didn't work out, analyzing it, I'd leave European soccer, especially after winning the World Cup, which was what I was missing to close out my career on this side and experience the league in the United States, another way and enjoy the day-to-day but with the same responsibility of wanting to win and do the right thing, just with more tranquility."

Listen below and follow In Soccer We Trust: A CBS Sports Soccer Podcast where your three favorite former USMNT players cover everything you could possibly want to know about the beautiful game in the United States.
Messi, fresh off winning the World Cup with Argentina in December to likely cement his legacy as the greatest ever, now gets his wish of playing in the United States with the possibility of former Barcelona teammates joining him in South Florida.

Landing Messi would be an all-time coup for the league, likely even more impactful than the one of Inter Miami club president David Beckham, who left Real Madrid to join the Los Angeles Galaxy back in 2007.

While the level of competition is far from that of Europe, Messi gets an opportunity in a growing league with an expected clause in his contract concerning potential future club ownership, similar to that of Beckham 15 years ago.

Messi reportedly purchased a home in the Miami area in 2021 and it's a frequent vacation spot for his family. This also sets him up well to be stateside ahead of both the 2024 Copa America and 2026 World Cups, potentially playing with the Argentina national team in this competitions.

Saudi Arabia and Barcelona miss out

In the end it was a 2.5 horse race for Messi. While Barcelona always wanted to get back in for the one that got away, ultimately the team was unable to create the financial room necessary to make a deal happen. Messi' father, Jorge met with the club this week, and while some reports suggested that La Liga had ok'd a possible deal, it never came to fruition. On Wednesday, Messi's team told Barcelona that he wouldn't be waiting around for them to try and finagle a solution. Barcelona issued a statement Wednesday afternoon.

"On Monday, June 5, Jorge Messi, the player's father and representative, informed Club President Joan Laporta of the player's decision to join Inter Miami, despite having been presented with a proposal from Barça, in consideration of the desire of both FC Barcelona and Lionel Messi for him to once again wear blaugrana. President Laporta understood and respected Messi's decision to want to compete in a league with fewer demands, further away from the spotlight and the pressure he has been subject to in recent years. Both Joan Laporta and Jorge Messi also agreed to work together to promote a proper tribute from Barça fans to honor a footballer who has been, is, and always will be beloved by Barça."

That left two teams. The entire nation state of Saudi Arabia worked hard to woo Messi, with our own James Benge reporting that high level government officials were in Paris last week trying to close the deal. And, as Benge writes, they believed they had persuaded Messi, so much so that they were providing jets to fly the superstar and his father from Paris and Barcelona respectively in order to make it all official. But, in the end Messi chose Miami.

What does this mean for Inter Miami

Messi will be joining a team that's dead last in the Eastern Conference but they sit only six points outside of a playoff spot with plenty of season to go, that's a deficit that's certainly not insurmountable. In fact, futures odds on Miami have been plummeting since Messi was announced. Additionally the side is still alive in the U.S. Open Cup (you can see Inter Miami play USL side Birmingham Legion on CBS Sports Golazo Network) with the tournament now in the quarterfinals. Lastly Miami is also contesting the Concacaf Leagues Cup where they will be facing Mexico's Cruz Azul on July 21, a match that could be Messi's debut. Whatever happens, Miami has instantly transformed themselves from a border line laughing stick into a side that must be reckoned with at the very least.

the tweets that don't show up in the article

Old 06-08-2023, 08:12 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,751 Likes on 2,535 Posts
I mean he likely makes pennies compared to what he could have made at Barcelona. What craziness in the sports world in a span of 3 days. Find out money buys whatever you want on Monday with the Merger of PGA and LIV and then watch a superstar turn down one of the biggest-ever contracts for what he describes as a better life elsewhere be less in the spot light.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:02 AM
Q('.')=O

Great for MLS. Great for the fans of the MLS. Now I will actually watch MLS games (when he plays).
Old 09-08-2023, 07:36 AM
Team Owner

Have you guys been watching. I'm finally somewhat consistently watching soccer with these Inter games. Free MLS via Apple TV helps. However, last night I turned on Peacock for the NFL game and it was halftime. So I said fuck it and watched the first half of Man City v Fulham. Now that's soccer especially with Haaland and Rodrigo. I didn't realize there are int'l games this weekend and that Messi nailed a nasty goal for Argentina. I thought he retired from international play. No Messi tomorrow against KC but at least Busquets, Jordi Alba and some others will remain. Even Callender has been an insane keeper.
Old 09-08-2023, 08:24 AM
Q('.')=O

I've been watching Inter Miami games whenever I remember they are on. Messi certainly makes it more entertaining (I won't even watch my local MLS team because I find it too boring).

I also turn on EPL games on the weekends and watch any international games if I turn to them and they are on.
Old 09-08-2023, 01:01 PM
Team Owner

Good thing is you can watch them on replay too. You gotta pay the NFL a lot of money for that.
Old 09-08-2023, 01:22 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Doom878
Have you guys been watching. I'm finally somewhat consistently watching soccer with these Inter games.

There's only one Inter, and they don't dress up as pink flamingos.
Old 09-11-2023, 08:59 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by F-C

There's only one Inter, and they don't dress up as pink flamingos.
Right now, more people care about the pink ones because of a certain little Argentinian man.

Watched Arsenal/Man U from Week 4 over the weekend. Went from Man U leading late but the leading goal was called back on an offsides, to Arsenal exploding for 2 90th+ minute goals.
Old 10-02-2023, 09:43 AM
Team Owner

Anyone catch Tottenham/Liverpool. What a robbery on that VAR fuckup and that first red card I wasn't crazy about since he hit ball first. Even with 9, LP almost pulled off the tie.
Old 10-31-2023, 12:55 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/...fifa-world-cup

Saudi Arabia was the only football association to present a bid to host the 2034 FIFA World Cup before the deadline closed, soccer's global governing body FIFA confirmed on Tuesday.

FIFA had invited bids from Asia and Oceania for the tournament by Tuesday, and Saudi Arabia announced it would bid only minutes after the announcement on Oct 4. When FIFA made deal this month to have just one host bid for the 2030 World Cup -- uniting Spain, Portugal and Morocco with three games placed in South America -- it also fast-tracked the 2034 hosting race with only member federations in Asia and Oceania eligible to bid. The tight deadline gave them less than four weeks to enter the race by Tuesday and just one month more to sign a bidding agreement that requires government support.
FIFA, what a joke.
Old 11-01-2023, 10:12 AM
Team Owner

Not surprised it's Saudi Arabia. I saw a blurb that even though they're paying mega millions for established stars, the attendance is in the HUNDREDS
Old 11-02-2023, 03:07 PM
Team Owner

Now there's a rumor that Luis Suarez is going to sign with Inter Miami next month
Old 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Doom878
Not surprised it's Saudi Arabia. I saw a blurb that even though they're paying mega millions for established stars, the attendance is in the HUNDREDS
Interesting. Saudis found a new way to burn money.
Old 11-03-2023, 07:28 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by F-C
Interesting. Saudis found a new way to burn money.
Here's the link

https://theathletic.com/5005205/2023...league-crowds/

Old 02-04-2024, 07:46 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

WC 2026 final announced. New Jersey!
The following 2 users liked this post by F-C:
Doom878 (02-05-2024), imj0257 (02-05-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 08:58 AM
Team Owner

I would love to see a match in Miami but I know the tickets will cost a small mortgage amount.
Old 02-05-2024, 09:12 AM
Q('.')=O

Not at all surprised NY got the final, even though all the speculation said Dallas was going to host it. Dallas did get the most games though... 9.

Old 02-05-2024, 03:28 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I'm definitely going to watch at least one in person. Still remember when I went to the Pontiac Silverdome in WC94.

Speaking about WC94, I just noticed that none of the stadiums used back then are going to be used for WC26. Some of the same "cities" are still hosting the matches, but they are now in the modern replacement NFL stadiums. The Rose Bowl was the final match last time. Ironically, the Rose Bowl has more seats than any of the newer stadiums in WC26, but obviously lacks the modern amenities and box suites.
Old 02-06-2024, 08:42 AM
Team Owner

I think it's because since suites are typically pre-purchased by a company in the beginning of the season, guaranteed revenue even if people don't show, plus higher per seat revenue. I also read that teams don't have to share sales from premium seats and luxury boxes with the rest of the league.
Old 02-06-2024, 08:43 AM
Team Owner

Mbappe to Real Madrid next season. Was kind of hoping Liverpool would get him since I watch a lot of EPL lately. Great match between them and Arsenal this weekend even they're missing Salah and some others.