Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

Cycling: Lance Armstrong Doping Saga **Admits to Cheating (page 8)**

Old 01-14-2013, 04:19 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,815 Likes on 6,569 Posts
No wonder Sheryl crow left him...
Old 01-14-2013, 04:21 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,276 Likes on 2,641 Posts
Originally Posted by F-C
So what will Lance say tonight on Oprah? I'm thinking there is only a 50% chance that he will admit to PEDs.
That Whitney Houston is still dead :wink:
Old 01-14-2013, 04:25 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
It was all unjustified!! It was one man's mission to destroy a good man, and take him down!
It was a personal vendetta! WHERE IS THE EVIDENCE?!?!?!!?
LOL I know! Reminds me of "there's an enthusiasm gap, the polls are skewed in Obama's favor, Romney's going to win"

People actually bought that too, even though all the evidence said otherwise

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 01-14-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,940 Likes on 14,056 Posts
It was all unjustified!! It was one man's mission to destroy a good man, and take him down!
It was a personal vendetta! WHERE IS THE EVIDENCE?!?!?!!?
What a cruel world.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:44 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
USADA are out of control....they just drummed up these baseless charges.....and you can't fight the government!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:19 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

This can't be true!!!!!!!!!

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- A person familiar with the situation says Lance Armstrong confessed to Oprah Winfrey during an interview Monday that he used performance-enhancing drugs to win the Tour de France.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the interview is to be broadcast Thursday on Winfrey's network.

Armstrong was stripped of all seven Tour titles last year in the wake of a voluminous U.S. Anti-Doping Agency report that portrayed him as a ruthless competitor, willing to go to any lengths to win the prestigious race. USADA chief executive Travis Tygart labeled the doping regimen allegedly carried out by the U.S. Postal Service team that Armstrong once led, "The most sophisticated, professionalized and successful doping program that sport has ever seen."

After a federal investigation of the cyclist was dropped without charges being brought last year, USADA stepped in with an investigation of its own. The agency deposed 11 former teammates and accused Armstrong of masterminding a complex and brazen drug program that included steroids, blood boosters and a range
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...01-14-18-31-23

Now the AP is in on it too!
All of them LIARS!!!!!

LiveStrong Lance!
Don't give in to the haters!!!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:50 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
So will he admit to doping for all 7 of them, or just the last 3 or something. That way he's still a partial hero
Old 01-14-2013, 06:51 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

I'm hoping he jumps on the couch like Tom Cruise....screaming "I didn't dope! I didn't dope!"
Old 01-14-2013, 11:02 PM
Sanest Florida Man

LOL
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Sounds like a witch hunt.
I was reading an article last night that I cant find the link to...but:

Look at Roger Clemens and what he went through

While there has been a lot of hearsay there has been NO physical evidence to prove anything.

So, we have that whole thing here in America...innocent until proven guilty (I mean we used to, its been more of a meaningless phrase for 2 or more decades now.)

All the USADA has if this went to court is 10 "eye" witnesses...or people who rode with Lance who themselves were actually busted of doping.

The current actions of the USADA have just given Senator McCarthy a boner in his grave.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:18 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,080 Likes on 2,697 Posts
Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
LOL
Hey, dunce cap...I specifically stated through my whole argument that I was playing devil's advocate.

Reading > You

I really like this new nickname...you keep playing into it nicely.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:49 PM
Sanest Florida Man

You compared it to Mccarthyism which is making accusations with no evidence, even though his #2 guy Tyler Hamilton and many other witnesses has come forward and said that they had seen him do it. Which is like Joe Biden and members of Obama's cabinet all claiming Obama did some fucked up shit, he probably did it.

There's the physical evidence including blood test that the USADA has that you said that didn't have but they do.

Check it...

apJXd.png
K2Erh.png
B5cU3.png
qkWCT.png
CcYnQ.png
lQzz7.png
Ay40A.png

There's another 160 pages covering witness testimony, false statements under oath in multiple countries, attempted witness intimidation, and many other actions he performed. You can read it all here

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...d-decision.pdf

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 01-14-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:55 PM
The Third Ball

perhaps you should look up what "devil's advocate" means
Old 01-15-2013, 12:00 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Perhaps you should look up what "While there has been a lot of hearsay there has been NO physical evidence to prove anything." means....

Devil's advocate does not excuse making false claims such as "there has been NO physical evidence to prove anything"
Old 01-15-2013, 12:16 AM
The Third Ball

Where were you all those months ago with that doc? Was it not available then to the public at that time? And I'm guessing you still don't know what "Devil's Advocate" means...

Ohhhhh dunce cap.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:34 AM
Sanest Florida Man

LOL that doc doesn't have to be public knowledge for the USADA to the have physical evidence that you said they didn't have. Just because you don't know about it and are going around talking out of your ass under the guise of devil's advocate doesn't mean they didn't have any evidence.

Also please quote yourself from earlier in this thread where you said you were playing "devil's advocate". All I see is "sounds like a witch hunt, it's all hearsay, the USADA doesn't have any physical evidence and he's innocent until proven guilty." Don't see the words devils advocate anywhere. You're a pretty shitty devil's advocate if that's all you got...
Old 01-15-2013, 01:12 AM

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,991 Posts
Cheater cheater pumpkin eater
Old 01-15-2013, 06:16 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
No wonder Sheryl crow left him...
Sung to "Leaving Las Vegas"

I'm leaving Lance Armstrong, lights so bright on a Saturday night...
Old 01-15-2013, 06:21 AM
AZ Community Team

Lance Armstrong's doping admission: Questions Oprah should have asked

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/questio...230849439.html

3. Let's talk Betsy Andreu, the wife of one your former teammates, Frankie. Both Andreus testified under oath that they were in a hospital room in 1996 when you admitted to a doctor to using EPO, HGH and steroids. You responded by calling them "vindictive, bitter, vengeful and jealous." And that's the stuff we can say on TV.

And what would you say directly to Betsy, who dealt with a voicemail from one of your henchmen that included, she's testified, this:
"I hope somebody breaks a baseball bat over your head. I also hope that one day you have adversity in your life and you have some type of tragedy that will … definitely make an impact on you."
When you heard about that voicemail, why didn't you call Betsy and apologize then?

6. What do you say to Emma O'Reilly, who was a young Dublin native when she was first hired by the U.S. Postal team to give massages to the riders after races?
In the early 2000s, she told stories of rampant doping and how she was used to transport the drugs across international borders. In the USADA report, she testified that you tried to "make my life hell."
Her story was true, Lance, wasn't it? And you knew it was true. Yet despite knowing it was true, you, a famous multimillionaire superstar, used high-priced lawyers to sue this simple woman for more money than she was worth in England, where slander laws favor the famous. She had no chance to fight it.
She testified that you tried to ruin her by spreading word that she was a prostitute with a heavy drinking problem.
"The traumatizing part," she once told the New York Times, "was dealing with telling the truth."
Do you want to apologize to her? Not in general. I mean directly and by name. I mean, Lance, of all the people to attack like that, of all the people you had power and wealth over, you had to go after her? How Lance, could you do this to someone, and why would anyone want to believe again in someone capable of doing this to someone?

Wow, not cool at all.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 01-15-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:50 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,158 Likes on 835 Posts
Oprah Winfrey said today that disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong came well prepared for their highly anticipated interview, although he "did not come clean in the manner [she] expected."

Winfrey, who discussed the interview on "CBS This Morning" today, said, "We were mesmerized and riveted by some of his answers. I feel that he answered the questions in a way that he was ready. … He certainly had prepared himself for this moment. … He brought it. He really did."

Armstrong had apologized to staffers at the Livestrong Foundation before the Monday interview with Winfrey at a hotel in Austin, Texas, and reportedly admitted to them that he used performance-enhancing drugs throughout his storied career.

Armstrong also confessed to Winfrey to using the drugs, sources have told ABC News. Winfrey said this morning that the entire interview, for which she had prepared 112 questions, was difficult.

"I would say there were a couple of times where he was emotional," she said. "But that doesn't describe the intensity at times."

As for the cyclist's sense of remorse, Winfrey said that will be for viewers to decide. "I would rather people make their own decisions about whether he was contrite or not," she said.

The interview will air on the OWN network for two nights, starting at 9 p.m. ET Thursday and continuing Friday.
Wonder what that means. Eh, I'll just wait for the youtube highlight clip. There's no way I'd sit through two nights of Oprah time.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:50 AM
The Third Ball

Its not about what you believe.

Its about what the facts prove.

That how this country works, thats what sets us apart. Innocent until proven guilty. Give hard proof he is guilty and fine. But until there is no hard proof than what we have here is fluff and sheeple who "believe" and go on nothing more than speculation.
They say they have blood...where are the reports? Where is the evidence? Just show it, stop saying it.

None of what I'm arguing has any bearing on what my personal beliefs may or may not be...why? because, innocent until proven guilty.
I NEVER said what MY beliefs were. And I've not said them on purpose.

All I have stated is INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY.
If you have the proof why does it have to go to arbitration? Just release the info.
I maintain...if they are so sure he doped and is guilty they need to show their hand, its not going to arbitration anymore, he is banned and potentially losing his titles...not sure why they couldn't just publish any real evidence they have.
Yes, but what Im saying is now there will be no arbitration...so whatever they say they do have could be released.

As I said, I never said the guy was a saint. And I never said he wasn't guilty. My suspicions were that he had some involvement of some kind
, but the laws of our land are clear...innocent until proven guilty.

If this is real evidence and it proves it...very sad indeed.
I NEVER denied his guilt...just the process.
Where did I say they didn't have it? I just kept saying if they do have it, release it.

Hell, all you ever do is repost from other sites...if this was available at that time why didn't you just post it then and shut the whole thing down? Was it because it wasn't released?

And how many times did I say my personal beliefs weren't a factor to my debate? Aside from finally saying I felt he wasn't completely innocent myself...Do I have to spell it out everytime I take the opposite of the coin for a debate? Because I have done it many times.

Do I need to spell it out for you because you're such a shitty reader? I tell you what...next time I decide to play the opposing view point in an argument...I'll PM and give you a heads up...That way you can repost it to the forum at a later date...because thats what you excel in.

dunce fucking cap.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:03 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/...h-lance_271507

BOULDER, Colorado (VN) — A game that was once painfully slow and perfectly managed by Lance Armstrong is now at warp speed, and it seems the fallen champion finds himself on more unstable sporting and legal grounds than ever before.

Armstrong’s public confession — taped with Oprah Winfrey on Monday in Austin, Texas — is coming on Thursday night in front of an international television and online audience. The move to confess in the taped interview was seen as yet another tactical maneuver by a man as calculating off the bike as he was on it. But his famous control appears to be unraveling, as media reports exploded late Monday, sketching an unfamiliar scene for Armstrong, one of loss of control and increasing velocity.

Armstrong famously won the Tour de France seven times and was infamously stripped of those wins last fall after the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency loosed a 1,000-page report chronicling systemic performance enhancing drug use at the U.S. Postal Service team.

Throughout his career, Armstrong has been able to exert unbelievable control over the media and the flow of information. Even when under investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s Office, he was able to merge his legal and public relations strategies to weave a narrative that he was treated unfairly by the government, liberally using the “#unconstitutional” hashtag on Twitter to imply an unfair — and even illegal — fight. The feds didn’t see it that way, of course, but they did walk from a two-year investigation on a Friday night without a whimper.

His power seemed as firm as his denials. But the game has changed, and quickly. The Wall Street Journal reported Monday night that Armstrong’s legal team was negotiating a settlement with former teammate Floyd Landis, who filed a whistleblower suit on the grounds that public money was used to buy doping products while Armstrong raced for U.S. Postal. Armstrong could be on the hook for as much as $100 million in that case — three times what the Postal Service paid the team. The Department of Justice reportedly has until Thursday — the day of the interview broadcast — to decide whether or not it will join the suit. The department recommended on Monday that federal attorneys pursue the case, according to a CBS News/Associated Press report.

Another element of that story? Armstrong may even testify against others involved in doping activities — something that seemed unthinkable as recently as October. Armstrong’s denial machine fought off accusations for a decade, but now he feels compelled to drag others into the muck with him. But who’s left to line up?

The New York Times reported on Monday that Armstrong was considering testifying against UCI officials and former Postal Service team owner Thomas Weisel and other Postal cycling team officials.

Confessions, or even plea bargains, generally come when one party knows the outcome of the confession, otherwise there is no incentive to tell the truth. The Wall Street Journal reported that USADA CEO Travis Tygart told Armstrong it was too late to come clean with the perks of an effective plea bargain, and that the minimum he could hope for was an eight-year ban rather than the lifetime barring he’s currently saddled with — an effective death knell for his endurance career.

It’s all in sharp contrast to the message Armstrong used to send, which was his way or the highway. He would blacklist reporters, including those on VeloNews staff, and even buried Greg LeMond’s bike brand due to LeMond’s suspicion Armstrong used PEDs.

That’s why the current landscape surrounding the fallen champion is remarkable. The ground beneath him is cracking faster than he can run.

Just an example: Should the feds join the Landis suit, the game changes for Armstrong hugely. Rather than fight only Landis in court with a cadre of $1,000-an-hour lawyers, Armstrong would find himself staring down Uncle Sam, and all that goes with him, from manpower to financial resources to an increasingly pessimistic court of public opinion. He’s long called Landis a liar, and now all of the sudden seems keen to settle?

The fact he’s even considering turning on those who’ve long run the show, from the Postal Service to the UCI, indicates a desperation unseen before from a man who just a few months ago tweeted a photo of himself on a couch, beneath a spate of yellow jersey’s, will the simple message, “just layin’ around.”

There is a chance that all of this has been mapped in Armstrong’s inner-circle, that a course of action has been charted and the media is merely ghost-writing a script that’s already been roughed out. But something seems different this time; the veneer is gone, and leaked attempts to settle with Landis and testify against the UCI deviate from the devastating control Armstrong has always craved and always exerted.

What has made the Texan unflappable, both on and off the bike, was his calculation, his ability to intimidate a rival, determine a weakness and ride away. But Armstrong always knew his enemy, and knew where the attacks would come from. He had a run of remarkable luck in France, and when the U.S. Attorney’s office abandoned a deep investigation. Simply, Armstrong never had bad days.

Until now.
Will Lance take down Pat McQuaid, Hein Verbruggen, Johan Bruyneel with him?
Will he apologize to Betsy Andreu, Emma O'Reilly, Greg LeMond, and others?
Old 01-15-2013, 09:35 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
Where were you all those months ago with that doc? Was it not available then to the public at that time? And I'm guessing you still don't know what "Devil's Advocate" means...

Ohhhhh dunce cap.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Senior Moderator

I'm just here to watch the Cheater burn.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:40 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Lance is a fraud!

I hope people bring up lawsuits against him and LiveStrong.

Seriously, people gave money to and spent money on LiveStrong, not just because of Cancer research, but mainly because of Lance, and what he represented.

Turns out it was all a lie, and these people were duped, by a liar and a fraud.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:07 AM

Meh, I'd still have donated to Livestrong for cancer research, doping or not.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mizouse
Meh, I'd still have donated to Livestrong for cancer research, doping or not.
Really? You would've paid attention to an organization run by a cheater/fraud...?

You would've donated?

Dude, I have to say, I would doubt it...

Last edited by Yumcha; 01-15-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:38 AM

Probably not as much $ if he wasn't a cheat, but since the cause is good, maybe.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:39 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Really? You would've paid attention to an organization run by a cheater/fraud...?

You would've donated?

Dude, I have to say, I would doubt it...
People donated because of Lance, his image, him being a role model, a fighter, an athlete, a guy who did the impossible.

Why donate to LiveStrong, when the American Cancer Society has been around forever?

People donated because of Lance and they wanted those trendy yellow bracelets and all the rest of the Lance LiveStrong gear.

Sadly nobody will able to go after Lance directly, he is "shielded" by LiveStrong......so they would have to go after LiveStrong....and that would look bad.

The Karma Police are coming for you, Lance.

Tick-Tock!
Old 01-15-2013, 11:40 AM

Yea you're right . Fine
Old 01-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

I think that's why he apologized to them, because they're in serious jeopardy now. You can't think LS without thinking Lance Armstrong
Old 01-15-2013, 12:04 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
I think that's why he apologized to them, because they're in serious jeopardy now. You can't think LS without thinking Doping
Fixed.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:23 PM
AZ Community Team

And being a cancer survivor. Lance's recovery and cycling made the cancer story cool, and that made for great PR something American Cancer Society didn't have.

I think a few of people (ones he slandered) and countries (Australia) are going to go after him, but I also suspect he'll keep most of his $100M.

Inspired so many people for all kinds of reasons, now viewed in a different light

People donated because of Lance, his image, him being a role model, a fighter, an athlete, a guy who did the impossible.

Why donate to LiveStrong, when the American Cancer Society has been around forever?

People donated because of Lance and they wanted those trendy yellow bracelets and all the rest of the Lance LiveStrong gear.

Sadly nobody will able to go after Lance directly, he is "shielded" by LiveStrong......so they would have to go after LiveStrong....and that would look bad.

The Karma Police are coming for you, Lance.

Tick-Tock!
Old 01-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Old 01-15-2013, 12:36 PM

Coke?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:17 PM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
Lance is a fraud!

I hope people bring up lawsuits against him and LiveStrong.

Seriously, people gave money to and spent money on LiveStrong, not just because of Cancer research, but mainly because of Lance, and what he represented.

Turns out it was all a lie, and these people were duped, by a liar and a fraud.
I'm torn with how to react. How do you attack the man, but leave his efforts in cancer awareness and education alone?
Lance Armstrong and LiveStrong are forever joined at the hip. He used his cycling "accomplishments" to promote and raise money for his foundation, he used the foundation to promote himself. Often using the accomplishments of LiveStrong as a shield (or distraction) from the numerous accusations.

His foundation did do mountains of good for a lot of people. It's not like he was raising money to club baby seals.

If you or a family member/friend received some insight, help, or encouragement from the LiveStrong foundation, will you still attack his foundation?

Last edited by cmschmie; 01-15-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
I am by no means a Lance apologist. I think the man is a grade A douche.

I should have prefaced my post above with an article. Careful using the term "research" in describing LiveStrong. It's a long read, but interesting.
Outside Mag Article
Old 01-15-2013, 01:37 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

People still think that Livestrong was providing money for cancer research?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
^What's the accusations against LS?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:44 PM
AZ Community Team

^ IDNK, what did the money go toward?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:48 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

"Cancer Research" Whatever that means. But money did not go to any cancer research.

Quick Reply: Cycling: Lance Armstrong Doping Saga **Admits to Cheating (page 8)**