Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

Cycling: Lance Armstrong Doping Saga **Admits to Cheating (page 8)**

Old 08-24-2012, 02:14 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,850 Likes on 2,588 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S

I understand Dave's beliefs that he is innocent.
No no no no no.

I NEVER said what MY beliefs were. And I've not said them on purpose. Dont start trying to put words in my mouth (or on my screen as it were)

All I have stated is INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY.

I'm surprised with much of your commentary in R&P such as the free speech thread you can't get behind a simple ideal of our country such as this.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:17 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Yumcha
And honestly, if I worked THAT hard to build up my legacy, I'd do everything to protect it. For him to give up like that...smells wrong too.
Perhaps.

But fighting it can/will also take a toll. To state he is giving up to focus on family and charity isn't an unbelievable reason.

I would imagine fighting this would be mentally draining, depressing, and would wreak havoc on ones personal life. At some point, one just has to say this isnt worth it anymore. And IF you truly know what you accomplished, than you can be content to walk away.

The scenario can be played out both ways.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:17 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
He's being leedog in here, no matter how much of the facts are presented, he's still going to follow the donkey cart path laid out by others.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:18 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Perhaps.

But fighting it can/will also take a toll. To state he is giving up to focus on family and charity isn't an unbelievable reason.

I would imagine fighting this would be mentally draining, depressing, and would wreak havoc on ones personal life. At some point, one just has to say this isnt worth it anymore. And IF you truly know what you accomplished, than you can be content to walk away.
And to mention $$$$$$
Old 08-24-2012, 02:19 PM
The Third Ball

If the USADA has absolutely nothing, and if they know it.....then what is their motivation to take down a world renowned athlete, who was the best of the best, who practices the no doping policy that the USADA preaches to a "T".......Why take this guy down? He is a shinning example FOR the USADA.

Why?
What's the conspiracy?
Did Senator McCarthy have a reason?

Maybe Armstrong pissed off the wrong guy. Who knows.

But if it isnt baseless than you still have to prove it. Otherwise, its nothing. And right now on the USADA's end it looks like a desperate move of clawing and scratching for something/anything.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:21 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
No no no no no.

I NEVER said what MY beliefs were. And I've not said them on purpose. Dont start trying to put words in my mouth (or on my screen as it were)

All I have stated is INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY.

I'm surprised with much of your commentary in R&P such as the free speech thread you can't get behind a simple ideal of our country such as this.
Then is it not your belief that you do not believe the witnesses?
...your belief that witness testimony in this case and in others is not real "evidence"?

How do you qualify that as not being your belief?

....just because there are charges in a case does not mean a person is guilty....however if said person pleads "guilty"...or "no contest"...(which is pretty much what Lance did)....then said person is on the hook for the crime...no?

...and nobody will answer my question about the USADA Conspriacy
Old 08-24-2012, 02:23 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Did Senator McCarthy have a reason?

Maybe Armstrong pissed off the wrong guy. Who knows.

But if it isnt baseless than you still have to prove it. Otherwise, its nothing. And right now on the USADA's end it looks like a desperate move of clawing and scratching for something/anything.
So it appears you believe it is all a conspiracy by the USADA?

If so, why?
Old 08-24-2012, 02:24 PM
The Third Ball

Then is it not your belief that you do not believe the witnesses?
...your belief that witness testimony in this case and in others is not real "evidence"?

How do you qualify that as not being your belief?

....just because there are charges in a case does not mean a person is guilty....however if said person pleads "guilty"...or "no contest"...(which is pretty much what Lance did)....then said person is on the hook for the crime...no?

...and nobody will answer my question about the USADA Conspriacy

Dont try and mix conversations here.

I never stated my beliefs about Armstrong and you know it.

And by chooses to no longer fight is NOT an admission of guilt and you well know that, too. It's how you are choosing to believe it.

And I did answer your question. since no one heres knows anymore than anyone, you wont get a better answer than that.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:25 PM
nnInn

A two year investigation? If something was there it would have been found and done quickly, not left open to keep waiting to find people to say what they wanted.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:27 PM
The Third Ball

So it appears you believe it is all a conspiracy by the USADA?

If so, why?

Pretty amazing...you can talk about free speech and westboros baptists right to it at funerals.

But here I am, saying someone is innocent until proven guilty, and you think you know where I personally stand on the matter.

Fact is, you don't, so stick to the topic at hand. Because once again you are reaching and attempting to put words in my mouth. You're smarter than that so knock it off.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,769 Likes on 13,963 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo
And to mention $$$$$$
Why? If he's innocent, suing these guys for defamation and slander can easily recuperate his expenses.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:33 PM
The Third Ball

Why? If he's innocent, suing these guys for defamation and slander can easily recuperate his expenses.
Lets see...Im no lawyer but i'll make the educated guess that:

The whole usada vs armstrong could takes YEARS and YEARS to come to any finality. Which by than Armstrong could be dead broke or not to far from it.

He wouldnt be able to go after the USADA until after all that nonsense was finished...and assuming the outcome, by that point he probably wouldn't have the bankroll to make it worthwhile. And let's say he did and wins.... you think the payout would be automatic?

And again...the mental impact it would all have as well as the familial.

Do you REALLY want to put yourself through that?

No, not easily.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
This was from an earlier June article that I saw. A lot of times Lance has said, he's played by all their rules and has passed all the tests. They could test him at anytime and anywere, which he did. Now they are saying it's not just speculation of EPO and Testosterone which he has never tested positive for, but blood transfusions. Somehow taking out an putting in your own blood at specifics times creates some kind of endurance effect.

I hear as you get older you naturally start lowering "everything" about your body. Your testosterone is lower, muscle and bones deteriorate, a lot goes on just starting in your 30's. If they want a level playing field, everyone should have the same levels to compete. Oxygen, testosterone, muscle mass should... all be regulated. I know the rules are the rules and Lance passed them all, but beyond all the rules the older you get, to me that's an unfair playing field.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012...ood-bags-tests

"... Armstrong is always quick to note that he hasn’t failed any official drug tests, and a statement he released Wednesday included the unverifiable claim that he had been subjected to more than 500 of them. But one of the reasons for blood doping’s popularity is that until recently athletes could not test positive for their own blood. In the last few years, however, anti-doping laboratories have developed techniques for detecting blood transfusions by looking for suspicious fluctuations in various blood measurements and ratios. They look at reticulocytes and hemoglobin levels, and even look for traces of plasticizers that leach out of blood bags. The more blood samples are collected from an athlete, with scores compared over months and years, the more glaring a sudden spike in one blood value might look. A study of Armstrong’s blood samples, combined with testimony from cooperating witnesses who can pinpoint the dates of alleged transfusions, would make for a compelling presentation if USADA’s action advances into arbitration proceedings. The organization’s letter says data from Armstrong’s blood samples collected in 2009 and 2010 are “fully consistent with blood manipulation.” Blood doping requires a conspiracy, and USADA also accused five of Armstrong’s associates in the 15-page letter. They are his longtime team director, Johan Bruyneel, team doctors Pedro Celaya and Luis Garcia del Moral, team medical consultant Michele Ferrari and team trainer Jose Pepi Marti. Former Armstrong teammates Floyd Landis and Tyler Hamilton, both of whom were tarnished by doping scandals, told federal agents and anti-doping officials that Armstrong thrived on organized doping programs that included transfusions... A person familiar with what Landis described to the authorities told the Daily News that athletes on the blood-doping program would withdraw their blood eight to 10 weeks before the Tour de France, wait for their body to replenish the red blood cells, reinfuse the stored blood, and repeat the process. “You reinsert the older blood, then withdraw the same amount, but this time you withdraw a little more,” the person said. The goal was to get a mixed population of red blood cells in the stored blood bag so that anti-doping officers wouldn’t notice a suspicious spike in the number of old cells..."
Old 08-24-2012, 02:35 PM
nnInn

Rogers Clemens had to pay his own legal fees for the first trial, even though the Government eff'd that one up, for the need of a retrial.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
This is Lance Armstrong. The guy who BEAT cancer...the guy who said F-U to that disease and came back to ride. A guy who won all those titles...

For him to raise his hands on potential "slander" from the USDA and all the "haters"...? Makes zero sense to me...This is why I think it is an admission of guilt.
...and that's another big question too.

I agree....7 titles, your entire life and legacy at risk.....I would think he would fight to the death....if you will.

Does not make sense to me either.
What is the point in defending your name? Clemens defended his name and people still think he did PEDs even though he was not guilty for perjury.

He said it clear that there is no point. His legacy is his cancer, and his will to fight it. He just happens to be a world-champion bicyclist.

People don't understand that steroids would actually kill him or make his cancer worse.

Cover up? Probably. USADA should present the samples to the public that shows he took PEDs or everything they say is worth a grain of salt.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Innocent until proven guilty.
You keep saying that.... But if this was the case why wouldn't lance fight? Why wouldn't he continue to fight like he has fought everything in his life.
Ok he's innocent. Let Lance prove it.
Now he's giving it up claiming it's not worth it & f them take the titles & ban me?
Old 08-24-2012, 04:18 PM

^he has for several years.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:23 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
You keep saying that.... But if this was the case why wouldn't lance fight? Why wouldn't he continue to fight like he has fought everything in his life.
Ok he's innocent. Let Lance prove it.
Now he's giving it up claiming it's not worth it & f them take the titles & ban me?
We've already gone through that.

They are the ones accusing. If you want to tarnish his reputation for the rest of his life and strip him of his titles and its warranted...prove it. Thats all I'm saying.

If you can't prove it than, by law and our country, he is innocent (whether is actually "guilty" or not)

Its how our country works. You know it and I know it.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:28 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Dont try and mix conversations here.

I never stated my beliefs about Armstrong and you know it.

And by chooses to no longer fight is NOT an admission of guilt and you well know that, too. It's how you are choosing to believe it.

And I did answer your question. since no one heres knows anymore than anyone, you wont get a better answer than that.
...but you stated beliefs in the case, in terms of evidence, no?
You believe the witness(s) in this case is/are bogus.

I'm trying to wrap my head around what you believe in the case, when you say you have no beliefs on the matter.

And again as far as the answer goes...or the non answer in terms of "no one here knows anymore than anyone"......then one would have to believe in a conspiracy by the USADA to convict an innocent man.

Which is fine.....but my question is WHY are they doing it?

Pretty amazing...you can talk about free speech and westboros baptists right to it at funerals.

But here I am, saying someone is innocent until proven guilty, and you think you know where I personally stand on the matter.

Fact is, you don't, so stick to the topic at hand. Because once again you are reaching and attempting to put words in my mouth. You're smarter than that so knock it off.
I dunno what free speech right have to do with this case or the price in tea in China..... tangent.

If he believes he is innocent, which he may or may not be...again nobody knows, why not take it to arbitration? In the end if proven guilty he ends up in the same boat he is now.......and he would continue to drive the point on that he is innocent. He would be able to show his proof against theirs.

I still can't find a believable argument that leads me to believe that all the witnesses are lying about blood transfusions/doping. Why would they all lie, and the USADA go along with the body of lies?
Old 08-24-2012, 04:28 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

We've already gone through that.

They are the ones accusing. If you want to tarnish his reputation for the rest of his life and strip him of his titles and its warranted...prove it. Thats all I'm saying.

If you can't prove it than, by law and our country, he is innocent (whether is actually "guilty" or not)

Its how our country works. You know it and I know it.
Wouldn't they have to prove it at arbitration?
Old 08-24-2012, 04:33 PM
The Third Ball

Wouldn't they have to prove it at arbitration?
If you have the proof why does it have to go to arbitration? Just release the info.

And if youre so hell bent on my beliefs (which have no bearing on this) I dont believe witnesses are credible by themselves.

As for the tangent....you believe that even though the westboro church are bunch or shit people but they have the right to free speech.

Well, Lance has the right be innocent until proven guilty...period. Regardless of speculation.

Now, tell me I'm wrong.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:50 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

If you have the proof why does it have to go to arbitration? Just release the info.

And if youre so hell bent on my beliefs (which have no bearing on this) I dont believe witnesses are credible by themselves.

As for the tangent....you believe that even though the westboro church are bunch or shit people but they have the right to free speech.

Well, Lance has the right be innocent until proven guilty...period. Regardless of speculation.

Now, tell me I'm wrong.
You're wrong

If this is similar to a court case, then the prosecution does not have to lay out all of their evidence prior to the trial....it's done at the trial.

Is it not the same way in this case.....where the USADA will lay out all their evidence at the arbitration?

They have "charges" against him as a "doper"....they believe he is guilty....as does any prosecutor in any other case.....but just like in any other case it does not mean the defendant is guilty.

I don't claim to be an expert on the USADA proceedings, but this seems pretty cut and dry.

....and again I still don't see the reason why they are going after him if it is all lies and they know it, and this is some sort of campaign to smear a good guy who ran his career by their standards.....It makes ZERO sense.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:01 PM
The Third Ball

Perhaps sometimes you are just too pot committed to fold Somestimes grudges don't die. I don't pretend to know.

I maintain...if they are so sure he doped and is guilty they need to show their hand, its not going to arbitration anymore, he is banned and potentially losing his titles...not sure why they couldn't just publish any real evidence they have.

By, in accordance with our justice system...until any facts/evidence come out, he is deemed innocent.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:11 PM

You're wrong

If this is similar to a court case, then the prosecution does not have to lay out all of their evidence prior to the trial....it's done at the trial.

Is it not the same way in this case.....where the USADA will lay out all their evidence at the arbitration?

They have "charges" against him as a "doper"....they believe he is guilty....as does any prosecutor in any other case.....but just like in any other case it does not mean the defendant is guilty.

I don't claim to be an expert on the USADA proceedings, but this seems pretty cut and dry.

....and again I still don't see the reason why they are going after him if it is all lies and they know it, and this is some sort of campaign to smear a good guy who ran his career by their standards.....It makes ZERO sense.
It does make sense. The guy has been out for Armstrong for awhile. It makes a name of himself as well.

The part is that there will be no trial. Armstrong has been full cooperative every year till this 'ban'. He's just tired of it. Imagine someone just cooperating entirely over and over-- with urine, blood, and many other test during, before, and after the races. And ALL of those were negative, but somehow they still say he has been taking PED just from 'witnesses' without any sworn statements or bullet-proof evidence.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:35 PM
nnInn

You're wrong

This is NO case court, it's arbitration. The record is something like 58-2 for USADA. The have the power of "Goodell".

There is all kinds of wrong with this, when the UCI, that has never really liked Armstrong, is coming out against this, then something is just not right.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:50 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Perhaps sometimes you are just too pot committed to fold Somestimes grudges don't die. I don't pretend to know.

I maintain...if they are so sure he doped and is guilty they need to show their hand, its not going to arbitration anymore, he is banned and potentially losing his titles...not sure why they couldn't just publish any real evidence they have.

By, in accordance with our justice system...until any facts/evidence come out, he is deemed innocent.
Sorry, but is this not how the USADA works?
This is arbitration, something that has been in effect for quite some time.
They don't have to show their hand....just like a prosecutor does not have to show his hand completely before a trial.

It's one thing to say the system sucks....and perhaps I'll agree with that, but it's a whole other thing to say it's a conspiracy to take a good guy down....who has not doped......

What legitimate reason is there for that?
Old 08-24-2012, 05:51 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

This is NO case court, it's arbitration. The record is something like 58-2 for USADA. The have the power of "Goodell".

There is all kinds of wrong with this, when the UCI, that has never really liked Armstrong, is coming out against this, then something is just not right.
If "something is not right", then what is the motivation for USADA going after a good guy like Lance?

One man's personal vendetta?
That's a bit far fetched for all of this.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:00 PM
The Third Ball

Sorry, but is this not how the USADA works?
This is arbitration, something that has been in effect for quite some time.
They don't have to show their hand....just like a prosecutor does not have to show his hand completely before a trial.

It's one thing to say the system sucks....and perhaps I'll agree with that, but it's a whole other thing to say it's a conspiracy to take a good guy down....who has not doped......

What legitimate reason is there for that?
Yes, but what Im saying is now there will be no arbitration...so whatever they say they do have could be released.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:05 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

“In response to numerous inquiries regarding the public statements made by Mr. Lance Armstrong, we can confirm that written notice of allegations of anti-doping rule violations was sent yesterday to him and to five (5) additional individuals all formerly associated with the United States Postal Service (USPS) professional cycling team. These individuals include three (3) team doctors and two (2) team officials. This formal notice letter is the first step in the multi-step legal process for alleged sport anti-doping rule violations.

USADA only initiates matters supported by the evidence. We do not choose whether or not we do our job based on outside pressures, intimidation or for any reason other than the evidence. Our duty on behalf of clean athletes and those that value the integrity of sport is to fairly and thoroughly evaluate all the evidence available and when there is credible evidence of doping, take action under the established rules.

As in every USADA case, all named individuals are presumed innocent of the allegations unless and until proven otherwise through the established legal process. If a hearing is ultimately held then it is an independent panel of arbitrators, not USADA that determines whether or not these individuals have committed anti-doping rule violations as alleged.

At this time USADA will not comment on the evidence or have further comment unless or until it is appropriate.”
http://www.usada.org/media/statement6132012

Old 08-24-2012, 06:08 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Yes, but what Im saying is now there will be no arbitration...so whatever they say they do have could be released.
True, now that it's over they could release "proof", but it's not a requirement.

...and if they release proof, will Lance be forced to speak out about it, after he stated "this will be the last time he speaks of the allegations"?

I don't think this is going to happen, I don't think the USADA nor Lance wants another circus.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:10 PM
The Third Ball

True, now that it's over they could release "proof", but it's not a requirement.

...and if they release proof, will Lance be forced to speak out about it, after he stated "this will be the last time he speaks of the allegations"?

I don't think this is going to happen, I don't think the USADA nor Lance wants another circus.
Of this, I agree.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:21 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

I would love the cycling fairy tale to be true, but it seems to me that the odds of Lance doping far outweigh the odds that he did not.

He participated in cycling that is a sport that's notorious for doping, and on top of that he was at the top of the game...schooling everyone for years......and we are to believe that he was not "doping"? He was the only one not doping....and he beat all the dopers?

Then the USADA bans for life that Italian "Dr. Feelgood"....and Lance continued to have a close connection/association with this banned doctor......and we are to believe Lance that nothing "sketchy" is going on...

....or we have to believe that it's a one man personal vendetta ...... the USADA out to destroy a good man....a man that supposedly lived and breathed by the USADA virtues....

Why?
Old 08-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,232 Likes on 6,200 Posts
Didn't other members of Lance's team admit to doping and admit that Lance doped including Team USA's #2 guy at the time admitted that they both did it and that he witnessed lance do it.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:30 PM
nnInn

Go read about the US against Rodger Clemens...
Old 08-24-2012, 06:32 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ Well that should prove that Lance did not dope.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:34 PM
nnInn

If "something is not right", then what is the motivation for USADA going after a good guy like Lance?

One man's personal vendetta?
That's a bit far fetched for all of this.
Go back in history to see about one man's vendetta, one was named McCarthy and another named Hoover. Both did it to seat their place of authority.

It's my opinion that's this is a witch hunt. You don't continue to investigate someone who has never been proven wrong unless you want to bring a person down.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:35 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,232 Likes on 6,200 Posts
and all the guys except for one that came in 2nd and 3rd place to lance when he got his 7 wins all have been busted for doping too. I find it hard to believe that a guy with one ball beat all these other guys that have admitted to doping 7 times in a row and yet he didn't dope himself.....
Old 08-24-2012, 06:37 PM
nnInn

^^ Well that should prove that Lance did not dope.
Where's the proof that he did??
Old 08-24-2012, 06:41 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
and all the guys except for one that came in 2nd and 3rd place to lance when he got his 7 wins all have been busted for doping too. I find it hard to believe that a guy with one ball beat all these other guys that have admitted to doping 7 times in a row and yet he didn't dope himself.....
Yeah, because having one ball makes him less of a person. You don't know these people from shit. If there is no hard evidence it's bullshit, except that USADA doesn't need hard evidence, just speculation and hearsay.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:44 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Go back in history to see about one man's vendetta, one was named McCarthy and another named Hoover. Both did it to seat their place of authority.

It's my opinion that's this is a witch hunt. You don't continue to investigate someone who has never been proven wrong unless you want to bring a person down.
Tinfoil hat....come on now.

You will completely ignore that pretty much EVERYONE in the sport was doping.....and the best guy who beat them all year in and year out, by a landslide....AND EVEN AFTER FIGHTING CANCER......did not dope?!?!?

....and the best guy in the world (who did not dope) associates with a lifetime banned doping doctor...

....pay no attention to that either.

.....and his own teammates say he doped.

.....Floyd Landis ...US rider.(former winner) gets caught doping.

....meh...pay not attention to all that stuff.....it's all lies....and it's all a great conspiracy by the USADA to take down the good guy, the only guy who did not dope.

Now which one is harder to believe

Quick Reply: Cycling: Lance Armstrong Doping Saga **Admits to Cheating (page 8)**