Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

Cycling: Lance Armstrong Doping Saga **Admits to Cheating (page 8)**

Old 08-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Cycling: Lance Armstrong Doping Saga **Admits to Cheating (page 8)**

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mor...&sct=hp_t11_a0

Ouch.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:27 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,850 Likes on 2,588 Posts
Sounds like a witch hunt.
The following 3 users liked this post by Sarlacc:
Beelzebub (08-24-2012), jupitersolo (08-24-2012), MWalsh9152 (08-24-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 11:34 PM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Sounds like a witch hunt.
+1

The USADA is trying to justify all of the wasted years trying to prove Armstrong was doping.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:01 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,869 Likes on 1,427 Posts
it's been a witch hunt for years... I think Lance has had it... and given up
The following users liked this post:
OTSB708 (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 08:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I'm not sure about that. He either is really is fed up with it all & is really going extreme, or he's guilty & is doing this now so it looks like he's not....

Amazing he would just give up all the titles, accomplishments, & recognition that have made him the person he is.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:06 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
I'm not sure about that. He either is really is fed up with it all & is really going extreme, or he's guilty & is doing this now so it looks like he's not....

Amazing he would just give up all the titles, accomplishments, & recognition that have made him the person he is.
Try going up against a Government agency with unlimited funds to fuck you with.

Nothing more than a W I T C H H U N T
Old 08-24-2012, 10:02 AM
Race Director

Received 887 Likes on 540 Posts
Dick Pound (USADA) has had it in for Lance forever.
He now has his chance. All the other governing bodies US Federal, UCI, WADA didn't have enough to do anything to Lance, and now this dip S^%t has his time.

I think Lance just gave up, All this governing body has the ability to do is ban him for 2 year from future racing, they cannot take his titles away only the UCI or the WADA can do that.
The following 3 users liked this post by Beelzebub:
jupitersolo (08-24-2012), svtmike (08-24-2012), TLtrigirl (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 10:48 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS

I was reading an article last night that I cant find the link to...but:

Look at Roger Clemens and what he went through

While there has been a lot of hearsay there has been NO physical evidence to prove anything.

So, we have that whole thing here in America...innocent until proven guilty (I mean we used to, its been more of a meaningless phrase for 2 or more decades now.)

All the USADA has if this went to court is 10 "eye" witnesses...or people who rode with Lance who themselves were actually busted of doping.

The current actions of the USADA have just given Senator McCarthy a boner in his grave.
Beelzebub (08-24-2012), jupitersolo (08-24-2012), svtmike (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,232 Likes on 822 Posts
Wow, that's nut.
The following 3 users liked this post by Whiskers:
#1 STUNNA (01-05-2013), Gfaze (08-26-2012), svtmike (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 11:31 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
In this day and age....who is NOT juiced?

...and Bolt is not juiced either....right?.....come on.

Is it possible Lance was not juiced...sure, but if I'm going with the odds, I'd say he was.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:40 AM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Tough position to be in: he can keep fighting and incur a shit ton of legal fees, or cut his losses now.

I'm assuming he decided to cut his losses, but at the price of admission of guilt. Odd since more reputable agencies couldn't find anything...
Old 08-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Exactly. In the US we are so quick to slaughter baseball players who may look guilty but no evidence has come to light.
Now you have a endurance sport & a man who beat all odds in all walks of his life & won 7 titles in this endurance sport & all of a sudden he's giving up this fight? Something is not right in my view. If he is truly innocent, he's showing how much he doesn't care about his legacy, his inspiration to millions of people or the sport.
Yumcha (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,769 Likes on 13,963 Posts
I believe Lance is guilty. Yes, he may have been singled out but if you want the spotlight, you need to handle the glare.

What I will NOT take away from Lance is all the work he has done post-cycling. The $$$ he has raised in the fight with cancer is tremendous...as well as the care he has shown to victims of the disease.

I'm probably the biggest "hater" to cheats...and am usually the first to start the tomato-throwing (i.e. Clemroids and Flaxseed Bonds)...but, in this case, I'm torn. Ultimately, it is just sad...
Old 08-24-2012, 12:07 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Remember kids: If you're not cheating, you're not trying.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:08 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S

...and Bolt is not juiced either....right?.....come on.

Is it possible Lance was not juiced...sure, but if I'm going with the odds, I'd say he was.
That'll be the day when they decide to REALLY do some serious testing in the NFL... All that rage on the field (especially from the linemen) doesn't just come from the love of the game.

But, didn't Lance already gone through all the drug tests back then? I thought he pass them, no?
Old 08-24-2012, 12:09 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ ...because you pass a drug test back in the day means you were not juiced?!?!?
Old 08-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by is300eater
That'll be the day when they decide to REALLY do some serious testing in the NFL... All that rage on the field (especially from the linemen) doesn't just come from the love of the game.

But, didn't Lance already gone through all the drug tests back then? I thought he pass them, no?
Testing is always going to be steps behind the PED. And there are always ways to mask the PED you're on...

Blah, if this is the sorry state sports is in, I say, just let them all cheat. At least it is a fair field then.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:11 PM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
clemens just signed for my towns minor league team!
Old 08-24-2012, 12:17 PM
nnInn

Lances statement

Lance Armstong's Statement of August 23, 2012

AUSTIN, Texas - August 23rd, 2012 - There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in winning my seven Tours since 1999. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a two-year federal criminal investigation followed by Travis Tygart's unconstitutional witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for our foundation and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense.

I had hoped that a federal court would stop USADA’s charade. Although the court was sympathetic to my concerns and recognized the many improprieties and deficiencies in USADA’s motives, its conduct, and its process, the court ultimately decided that it could not intervene.

If I thought for one moment that by participating in USADA’s process, I could confront these allegations in a fair setting and – once and for all – put these charges to rest, I would jump at the chance. But I refuse to participate in a process that is so one-sided and unfair. Regardless of what Travis Tygart says, there is zero physical evidence to support his outlandish and heinous claims. The only physical evidence here is the hundreds of controls I have passed with flying colors. I made myself available around the clock and around the world. In-competition. Out of competition. Blood. Urine. Whatever they asked for I provided. What is the point of all this testing if, in the end, USADA will not stand by it?

From the beginning, however, this investigation has not been about learning the truth or cleaning up cycling, but about punishing me at all costs. I am a retired cyclist, yet USADA has lodged charges over 17 years old despite its own 8-year limitation. As respected organizations such as UCI and USA Cycling have made clear, USADA lacks jurisdiction even to bring these charges. The international bodies governing cycling have ordered USADA to stop, have given notice that no one should participate in USADA’s improper proceedings, and have made it clear the pronouncements by USADA that it has banned people for life or stripped them of their accomplishments are made without authority. And as many others, including USADA’s own arbitrators, have found, there is nothing even remotely fair about its process. USADA has broken the law, turned its back on its own rules, and stiff-armed those who have tried to persuade USADA to honor its obligations. At every turn, USADA has played the role of a bully, threatening everyone in its way and challenging the good faith of anyone who questions its motives or its methods, all at U.S. taxpayers’ expense. For the last two months, USADA has endlessly repeated the mantra that there should be a single set of rules, applicable to all, but they have arrogantly refused to practice what they preach. On top of all that, USADA has allegedly made deals with other riders that circumvent their own rules as long as they said I cheated. Many of those riders continue to race today.

The bottom line is I played by the rules that were put in place by the UCI, WADA and USADA when I raced. The idea that athletes can be convicted today without positive A and B samples, under the same rules and procedures that apply to athletes with positive tests, perverts the system and creates a process where any begrudged ex-teammate can open a USADA case out of spite or for personal gain or a cheating cyclist can cut a sweetheart deal for themselves. It’s an unfair approach, applied selectively, in opposition to all the rules. It’s just not right.

USADA cannot assert control of a professional international sport and attempt to strip my seven Tour de France titles. I know who won those seven Tours, my teammates know who won those seven Tours, and everyone I competed against knows who won those seven Tours. We all raced together. For three weeks over the same roads, the same mountains, and against all the weather and elements that we had to confront. There were no shortcuts, there was no special treatment. The same courses, the same rules. The toughest event in the world where the strongest man wins. Nobody can ever change that. Especially not Travis Tygart.

Today I turn the page. I will no longer address this issue, regardless of the circumstances. I will commit myself to the work I began before ever winning a single Tour de France title: serving people and families affected by cancer, especially those in underserved communities. This October, my Foundation will celebrate 15 years of service to cancer survivors and the milestone of raising nearly $500 million. We have a lot of work to do and I'm looking forward to an end to this pointless distraction. I have a responsibility to all those who have stepped forward to devote their time and energy to the cancer cause. I will not stop fighting for that mission. Going forward, I am going to devote myself to raising my five beautiful (and energetic) kids, fighting cancer, and attempting to be the fittest 40-year old on the planet.
The following 3 users liked this post by jupitersolo:
Costco (08-24-2012), leftride (08-24-2012), OTSB708 (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 12:22 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Yumcha
I believe Lance is guilty. Yes, he may have been singled out but if you want the spotlight, you need to handle the glare.

What I will NOT take away from Lance is all the work he has done post-cycling. The $$$ he has raised in the fight with cancer is tremendous...as well as the care he has shown to victims of the disease.

I'm probably the biggest "hater" to cheats...and am usually the first to start the tomato-throwing (i.e. Clemroids and Flaxseed Bonds)...but, in this case, I'm torn. Ultimately, it is just sad...
Its not about what you believe.

Its about what the facts prove.

That how this country works, thats what sets us apart. Innocent until proven guilty. Give hard proof he is guilty and fine. But until there is no hard proof than what we have here is fluff and sheeple who "believe" and go on nothing more than speculation.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,448 Likes on 3,046 Posts
Originally Posted by Whiskers
Wow, that's nut.
What you did there, i sees it
Old 08-24-2012, 12:36 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Its not about what you believe.

Its about what the facts prove.

That how this country works, thats what sets us apart. Innocent until proven guilty. Give hard proof he is guilty and fine. But until there is no hard proof than what we have here is fluff and sheeple who "believe" and go on nothing more than speculation.
Seems like a strong case to me.

USADA maintains that Armstrong has used banned substances as far back as 1996, including the blood-booster EPO and steroids as well as blood transfusions - all to boost his performance.

The 40-year-old Armstrong walked away from the sport in 2011 without being charged following a two-year federal criminal investigation into many of the same accusations he faces from USADA.

The federal probe was closed in February, but USADA announced in June it had evidence Armstrong used banned substances and methods - and encouraged their use by teammates. The agency also said it had blood tests from 2009 and 2010 that were "fully consistent" with blood doping.

Included in USADA's evidence were emails written by Armstrong's former U.S. Postal Service teammate Floyd Landis, who was stripped of his 2006 Tour de France title after a positive drug test. Landis' emails to a USA Cycling official detailed allegations of a complex doping program on the team.

USADA also said it had 10 former Armstrong teammates ready to testify against him. Other than suggesting they include Landis and Tyler Hamilton, both of whom have admitted to doping offenses, the agency has refused to say who they are or specifically what they would say.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:44 PM

^which meant that they didn't have it.

I agree with Lance and a few other members here. Lance is not-guilty. The USDA didn't even present ANY bullet-proof evidence yet. All they showed us was speculation. None of his blood-work showed any PEDs or any other drugs.

Also if he really took roids then he'd be dead by now.
jupitersolo (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 12:50 PM
I shoot people

^^ ...because you pass a drug test back in the day means you were not juiced?!?!?
well, what the fuck else do they want??
Old 08-24-2012, 12:51 PM
The Third Ball

Seems like a strong case to me.
Really? They "claim" to have evidence of one year and they are going after him for 7 years?

Come on dude, we have seen this same shit before.

Again, I'm not imparting my personal beliefs...I'm saying the USADA has nothing and are out on a smear campaign.
Beelzebub (08-24-2012), Gfaze (08-26-2012), jupitersolo (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 12:55 PM

For a second, I was about to not buy any of my good ol USDA rib eyes today.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
All this doesn't matter anymore. Lance doesn't care if the titles are stripped. I wouldn't care either after 13 years...It is a complete waste of money to keep fighting a fight that will never end.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:59 PM
Race Director

Received 887 Likes on 540 Posts
The statute of limitations is 8 years and they are going back to 1999

come on...
The following 2 users liked this post by Beelzebub:
Costco (08-24-2012), jupitersolo (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 01:02 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Really? They "claim" to have evidence of one year and they are going after him for 7 years?

Come on dude, we have seen this same shit before.

Again, I'm not imparting my personal beliefs...I'm saying the USADA has nothing and are out on a smear campaign.
So we are to think that he only juiced for one year?

I don't know for a fact that he juiced, but his teammates say he juiced, the USADA says they had blood.......somebody is lying.

So either Lance juiced, and is lying to save his legacy and livelihood.

or

The USADA is framing a world renowned athlete for what reason exactly...
If he was squeaky clean wouldn't the USADA parade this guy around as an example of greatness when you don't dope.....versus....taking an innocent guy down....and again....for what reason?
The following 2 users liked this post by Moog-Type-S:
endo022 (08-24-2012), Yumcha (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 01:26 PM
The Third Ball

So we are to think that he only juiced for one year?

I don't know for a fact that he juiced, but his teammates say he juiced, the USADA says they had blood.......somebody is lying.

So either Lance juiced, and is lying to save his legacy and livelihood.

or

The USADA is framing a world renowned athlete for what reason exactly...
If he was squeaky clean wouldn't the USADA parade this guy around as an example of greatness when you don't dope.....versus....taking an innocent guy down....and again....for what reason?
You are missing the point.

Innocent until proven guilty. If Lance did in fact juice than prove it with hard facts. Not testimonies of fellow racers who were busted for juicing and have jealousy or a grudge.

Witnesses dont mean much to me. I had a witness tell cops I was trying to out accelerate and EMT van while making a left in to a gas station before it wrecked into me...Fact was the van whipped around the corner speeding, and the "witness" was pissed because my car spun after the hit and nearly hit her parked POS.

McCarthy had witnesses when he went on a tear to oust communists in the US. Didnt really amount to much did it?

If they have the evidence than present it. Don't just sit on it and tell me you have something in hopes to bolster your case. We all know how much shit can get out of hand, and how many things and stories can now exist thanks to far reach of the internet and that witnesses and expert that live on here.

Again, its not about what you believe. Its about the evidence and facts presented...and at this time there are none. If/When the day comes where that changes than we have a different story.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:32 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

You are missing the point.

Innocent until proven guilty. If Lance did in fact juice than prove it with hard facts. Not testimonies of fellow racers who were busted for juicing and have jealousy or a grudge.

Witnesses dont mean much to me. I had a witness tell cops I was trying to out accelerate and EMT van while making a left in to a gas station before it wrecked into me...Fact was the van whipped around the corner speeding, and the "witness" was pissed because my car spun after the hit and nearly hit her parked POS.

McCarthy had witnesses when he went on a tear to oust communists in the US. Didnt really amount to much did it?

If they have the evidence than present it. Don't just sit on it and tell me you have something in hopes to bolster your case. We all know how much shit can get out of hand, and how many things and stories can now exist thanks to far reach of the internet and that witnesses and expert that live on here.

Again, its not about what you believe. Its about the evidence and facts presented...and at this time there are none. If/When the day comes where that changes than we have a different story.
First hand, eye witness testimony does not amount to evidence in a case?!?!? Since when? Additionally, they had blood as well, no?

If the USADA has absolutely nothing, and if they know it.....then what is their motivation to take down a world renowned athlete, who was the best of the best, who practices the no doping policy that the USADA preaches to a "T".......Why take this guy down? He is a shinning example FOR the USADA.

Why?
What's the conspiracy?
Old 08-24-2012, 01:38 PM
The Third Ball

First hand, eye witness testimony does not amount to evidence in a case?!?!? Since when? Additionally, they had blood as well, no?

If the USADA has absolutely nothing, and if they know it.....then what is their motivation to take down a world renowned athlete, who was the best of the best, who practices the no doping policy that the USADA preaches to a "T".......Why take this guy down? He is a shinning example FOR the USADA.

Why?
What's the conspiracy?
The broad who claimed I was trying to race an EMT van was first hand eyewitness.

The people pointing fingers at "communists" were first hand eye witnesses.

Like I said, I dont put a ton of stock in witnesses...it takes more than a talking mouth, who given the right circumstances could be made to say just about anything.

They say they have blood...where are the reports? Where is the evidence? Just show it, stop saying it.

I'll say it again to clarify for you since you keep missing it. Innocent until proven guilty. They have "said" a lot. They haven't proven anything.

None of what I'm arguing has any bearing on what my personal beliefs may or may not be...why? because, innocent until proven guilty.

Otherwise, this is exactly what I said it was, McCarthyism....did he have anything?
Old 08-24-2012, 01:46 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by sarlacc

they say they have blood...where are the reports? Where is the evidence? Just show it, stop saying it.
^^^ this
Old 08-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Senior Moderator

The broad who claimed I was trying to race an EMT van was first hand eyewitness.

Like I said, I dont put a ton of stock in witnesses...it takes more than a talking mouth, who given the right circumstances could be made to say just about anything.

They say they have blood...where are the reports? Where is the evidence? Just show it, stop saying it.

I'll say it again to clarify for you since you keep missing it. Innocent until proven guilty. They have "said" a lot. They haven't proven anything.

None of what I'm arguing has any bearing on what my personal beliefs may or may not be...why? because, innocent until proven guilty.

Otherwise, this is exactly what I said it was, McCarthyism....did he have anything?
Hey Dave...given your sentiments on the innocent-until-proven-guilty, would you say that Barry Bonds did not take PEDs?

He has never failed a test.

Anyhow, food for thought here: http://articles.businessinsider.com/...on-clean-rider
Old 08-24-2012, 01:58 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

It appears it is in fact what "you believe".
You don't take much stock in witnesses....that is what "you believe".

It appears you also believe that the witnesses are flat out lying.
Again....your belief.

You have no proof for your beliefs in this case.....nor do I.

...but again I ask this question(s):

Why?
What's the conspiracy?
Old 08-24-2012, 02:02 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Hey Dave...given your sentiments on the innocent-until-proven-guilty, would you say that Barry Bonds did not take PEDs?

Anyhow, food for thought here: http://articles.businessinsider.com/...on-clean-rider
...but a "witness" said that....so we can take ZERO stock in that.

Look, where there is smoke there is usually fire.

I understand Dave's beliefs that he is innocent...nobody wants to see "a good guy go down".....but you would have to believe in a grand conspiracy by so many people and agencies, are all working together to take down Lance.

...again WHY?
Old 08-24-2012, 02:04 PM
Senior Moderator

...but a "witness" said that....so we can take ZERO stock in that.

Look, where there is smoke there is usually fire.

I understand Dave's beliefs that he is innocent...nobody wants to see "a good guy go down".....but you would have to believe in a grand conspiracy by so many people and agencies, are all working together to take down Lance.

...again WHY?
And honestly, if I worked THAT hard to build up my legacy, I'd do everything to protect it. For him to give up like that...smells wrong too.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:05 PM
Senior Moderator

This is Lance Armstrong. The guy who BEAT cancer...the guy who said F-U to that disease and came back to ride. A guy who won all those titles...

For him to raise his hands on potential "slander" from the USDA and all the "haters"...? Makes zero sense to me...This is why I think it is an admission of guilt.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:06 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

And honestly, if I worked THAT hard to build up my legacy, I'd do everything to protect it. For him to give up like that...smells wrong too.
...and that's another big question too.

I agree....7 titles, your entire life and legacy at risk.....I would think he would fight to the death....if you will.

Does not make sense to me either.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:07 PM
nnInn

Victor Conte and BALCO, 'nuff said...

Quick Reply: Cycling: Lance Armstrong Doping Saga **Admits to Cheating (page 8)**