Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

**Official NFL Football Discussion Thread**

Old 10-05-2005, 10:56 AM
Once more into the breach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caz1604
He is awesome as well, but no one seems to be able to block Freeney. He is so quick off the block!

Agreed, and coverage sacks are few and far between in MIA
Old 10-05-2005, 12:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
I would start Pitt...SD or not, they have a solid D that will make some plays. I just don't trust ARZ enough to start them over Pitt.

It's kind of a kharma thing. I have Keenan McCardell and Tomlinson in my starting squad.

Or I could dump ARZ and pick up the Dolphins this week to play against Buffalo. Buffalo is horrible. Or the Titans against Houston. The two worst offenses in the league right now.

Last edited by mrsteve; 10-05-2005 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
Originally Posted by peacefrog
Agreed, and coverage sacks are few and far between in MIA
Don't understand this point. Coverage sacks are because of the secondary being able to cover the receivers for so long. Any lineman can get a sack with a coverage sack. So saying MIA lacks coverage sacks, sounds like you're saying they get sacks quicker, thus making Jason sound like he gets sacks very quickly.

Regardless sacks is part of the stats to rate a position that's more intangible as a d-line. There are no recorded stats for hurries, knockdowns, pressures, etc. Plus run coverage and pass coverage is a big strength of his. Last year he had 9 passes defended. That's more than Freeney's career.

I think I've read in more publications and from scouts that Taylor is the best end. Then again some like Peppers, some Freeney, etc. I like JT because he can play the OLB in a 3-4, cover, get the run. He does it all including have 5 TD's.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mrsteve
It's kind of a kharma thing. I have Keenan McCardell and Tomlinson in my starting squad.

Or I could dump ARZ and pick up the Dolphins this week to play against Buffalo. Buffalo is horrible. Or the Titans against Houston. The two worst offenses in the league right now.
lol...dropping ARZ D would not be a bad idea if you consider the following:

The Cardinals might be without their top three cornerbacks when they host the Panthers on Sunday. In addition to losing Antrel Rolle to a season-ending knee injury, the Cards could be without fellow starter David Macklin, and No. 3 cornerback Raymond Walls in week five. The Arizona Republic reports that Macklin will probably be listed as doubtful on the injury report with a hamstring injury that forced him to miss last week, while Walls is questionable with a strained left groin.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Looks like i'll be getting the Titans tomorrow at 9pm
Old 10-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Doom878
Don't understand this point. Coverage sacks are because of the secondary being able to cover the receivers for so long. Any lineman can get a sack with a coverage sack. So saying MIA lacks coverage sacks, sounds like you're saying they get sacks quicker, thus making Jason sound like he gets sacks very quickly.

Regardless sacks is part of the stats to rate a position that's more intangible as a d-line. There are no recorded stats for hurries, knockdowns, pressures, etc. Plus run coverage and pass coverage is a big strength of his. Last year he had 9 passes defended. That's more than Freeney's career.

I think I've read in more publications and from scouts that Taylor is the best end. Then again some like Peppers, some Freeney, etc. I like JT because he can play the OLB in a 3-4, cover, get the run. He does it all including have 5 TD's.
Good points about Taylor...he is definitely more versatile than Freeney, but if I just wanted a pure pass rusher, Freeney fits the bill. Taylor, Kearse and Peppers are crazy athletic D-Lineman who could easily be linebackers.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:43 PM
Burning Brakes

which defense to start?

Denver D vs. Washington
or
Chicago D vs. Cleveland
Old 10-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
Denver's D is tight since the Dolphin loss. They're run defense is excellent and I'm sure they'll shut down Clinton. Chicago comes off a bye but to me Denver is a more sure thing.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Doom878

He said Taylor was awesome, I said I agree and that coverage sacks are few so he is doing the work and getting the sacks even though the QB has time to pass and recievers to throw too.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Chris Kellys Week #4 - Power Rankings.

1.2 - Indianapolis - allowing only 6.5 ppg, and Manning looks like he is back on track. tough 2nd half schedule.
2.5 - Philadelphia - great come back win, and McNabb is on fire.
3.3 - Pittsburgh - bye week. 2 tough games ahead, SD & Jax.
4.4 - Cincinnati - first real test will come this Sunday on prime time.
5.6 - Tampa Bay - i'm not sold on them, but they are 4-0 and should be able to handle the jets. losing caddy would hurt.
6.1 - Atlanta - tuff test this weak against the Pats, Vick should be fine.
7.10 - Denver - beaten 3 good teams in a row, without plummer screwing them up.
8.13 - San Diego - killed the defending champs, up next: Steelers on MNF
9.14 - NY Giants - man, the Manning bros put up big numbers last week. Eli looks much better then I ever expected. Bye this week.
10.1 - New England - all good things come to an end, maybe. they got manhandled by the chargers, and it doesn't get any easier.
11.15 - Washington - nice OT win, 2 tough road games ahead. brunell should stay the starter.
12.8 - Jacksonville - decided not to show up eh? next: Bengals on SNF, then travel to Pitts. before the bye. much easier 2nd 1/2 schedule.
13.12 - Kansas City - you blew that one, Dante is amazing. utilize your TE more.
14.17 - Carolina - nice MNF win, although GB isn't a tuff foe. Steve Smith is an elite WR, glad he's back.
15.9 - Seattle - would've won had they had a "perfect" kicker.
16.16 - Miami - stayed put during bye. should be able to beat Buffalo. Ricky will take Ronnies carries.
17.21 - New Orleans - after 2 ruff loses, nice to have a "home" game. Get GB next week.
18.11 - Dallas - could've won that game, now they have to face Philly & the NY Giants... ouch.
19.18 - St Louis - manhandled by the giants, should've rant the ball more. get to play Seattle & Indy next.
20.29 - Oakland - finally get a win, and a running game. one week off before they face Brees, LT & Gates.
21.26 - Chicago - lol, I only put them this high because they have a great D, and are in first place in their division.
22.28 - Baltimore - finally won a game.. even though it was against the qbless jets. should feel good about facing det & cle next.
23.31 - Arizona - hey, a win is a win. losing rolle will hurt. Carolina next.
24.19 - Minnesota - God that was ugly. Dante looks confused when throwing. At least they have a bye week, then get chicago.
25.25 - Cleveland - idle due to bye, face a tuff Ravens D next.
26.20 - Buffalo - lost 11 spots in 2 weeks! 2 home games next, Losmann looks awful.. try Holcomb.
27.22 - Detroit - another loss, and Baltimore & Carolina next. Plus Rogers is out... again.
28.23 - NY Jets - "Vinny & the Jets..." Is Martin finally getting worn out?
29.24 - Tennessee - No chance against the colts. Adam Jones, welcome to the NFL rookie. Might beat the lowely texans, but the face Palmer & CJ.
30.27 - San Fransisco - !Futbol Americano! lol, might as well start Alex Smith now.. or, maybe not against Indy.
31.30 - Green Bay - Almost came back and won, hope Murphy is ok. sadly, they can still be considered contenders for their division.
32.32 - Houston - "With the first selection in the 2006 NFL draft, the Houston Texans select, Matt Lienhart, QB, USC." Maybe the 2nd qb from the state of California will work for them? Carr is like a pinata back there.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:39 AM

My line-up for the week.

Bulger
E. James
J. Jones
H. Ward
S. Moss
TJ Housh
A. Gates
IND - defense
DEN - st

My avail players.

QB - Marc Bulger - STL
QB - Drew Brees - SD
RB - Ahman Green - GB
RB - Julius Jones - DAL
RB - Tatum Bell - DEN
RB - TJ Duckett - ATL
RB - Lee Suggs - CLE
RB - Willie Parker - PIT
RB - Edgerin James - IND
WR - Hines Ward - PIT
WR - TJ Houshmandzadeh - CIN
WR - Santana Moss - WSH
WR - Amani Toomer - NYG
WR - Greg Lewis - PHI
WR - Michael Jenkins - ATL
TE - Antonio Gates - SD
TE - Jermaine Wiggins - MIN
Def. - Indianapolis
Def. - Miami
ST. - Denver

Anyone make any changes?
Old 10-07-2005, 08:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

My line-up for the week.

Bulger
E. James
J. Jones
H. Ward
S. Moss
TJ Housh
A. Gates
IND - defense
DEN - st

My avail players.

QB - Marc Bulger - STL
QB - Drew Brees - SD
RB - Ahman Green - GB
RB - Julius Jones - DAL
RB - Tatum Bell - DEN
RB - TJ Duckett - ATL
RB - Lee Suggs - CLE
RB - Willie Parker - PIT
RB - Edgerin James - IND
WR - Hines Ward - PIT
WR - TJ Houshmandzadeh - CIN
WR - Santana Moss - WSH
WR - Amani Toomer - NYG
WR - Greg Lewis - PHI
WR - Michael Jenkins - ATL
TE - Antonio Gates - SD
TE - Jermaine Wiggins - MIN
Def. - Indianapolis
Def. - Miami
ST. - Denver

Anyone make any changes?
I would bench A. Gates and start J. Wiggins....nah j/k, looks good
Old 10-07-2005, 09:18 AM
Banned

brunell vs. denver
furotte vs. buffalo

who to start, i'm rather thin at QB right now
Old 10-07-2005, 09:37 AM
Banned

a guy wants to trade me M. Bulger QB-Rams for T.O. WR-Eagles

what do you think?
Old 10-07-2005, 09:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tjker
brunell vs. denver
furotte vs. buffalo

who to start, i'm rather thin at QB right now
I would say go with Furotten since Buffalo is struggling on D this year.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

a guy wants to trade me M. Bulger QB-Rams for T.O. WR-Eagles

what do you think?
I wouldn't do it. If it was an upper tier QB, then I would say go for it. T.O. is pretty valuable, so I would hold on to him.

Any free agent QB's available?
Old 10-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Banned

I wouldn't do it. If it was an upper tier QB, then I would say go for it. T.O. is pretty valuable, so I would hold on to him.

thats what i thought too so I denied the trade, but this guy is persistant on getting TO. i told him ok you give me mcnabb, i'll give you TO. He said I was nuts! Well looks like your not getting TO then.

if somebody wants to the best WR in the league, rest assure you are going to give me the best QB on your team and not your 3rd stringer.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

thats what i thought too so I denied the trade, but this guy is persistant on getting TO. i told him ok you give me mcnabb, i'll give you TO. He said I was nuts! Well looks like your not getting TO then.

if somebody wants to the best WR in the league, rest assure you are going to give me the best QB on your team and not your 3rd stringer.
What receivers does he have? Taking Bulger and a good WR won't be that bad of an idea since you are hurting in the QB department. Also, what WR's besides T.O. do you have on your team?
Old 10-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Banned

What receivers does he have? Taking Bulger and a good WR won't be that bad of an idea since you are hurting in the QB department. Also, what WR's besides T.O. do you have on your team?

he has

torry holt
isaac bruce
anquan bolden
brandon lloyd

I have

joe horn
TO
derrick mason
braylon edwards
lav. coles

who would you want with bulger in trading TO
Old 10-07-2005, 10:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

he has

torry holt
isaac bruce
anquan bolden
brandon lloyd

I have

joe horn
TO
derrick mason
braylon edwards
lav. coles

Holt and Bulger for T.O. would be the only way I would pull the trigger. If Boldin was performing like he was two years ago, I would say him too but Fitzgerald seems to be scoring more this year.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

I went and checked out the stats and Boldin has one less TD than Fitz...they have some serious QB problems. Holt does not score near as much as T.O. and I would use that in negotiating for him.

The other option is trying to find a Free Agent QB...who is available in your league? I just kind of hate letting go of a guy like TO.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Banned

I went and checked out the stats and Boldin has one less TD than Fitz...they have some serious QB problems. Holt does not score near as much as T.O. and I would use that in negotiating for him.

The other option is trying to find a Free Agent QB...who is available in your league? I just kind of hate letting go of a guy like TO.

agreed on T.O., his points per game, 19.5 in my league

the qbs in question average per
mcnabb 22.3
bulger 16.5
frerotte 14.0
brunell 13.3

holt is 15.3

the only way this deal would get done is if holt and bulger are packaged together. then again, i don't see him doing that either. i'll probably just hang in with what i have right now. i've got LT and julius jones at RB, so scoring points hasn't been a big problem with my current lineup. it's just the qb situation is a little unstable as neither player has really stepped up to the plate yet.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:40 AM

he has

torry holt
isaac bruce
anquan bolden
brandon lloyd

I have

joe horn
TO
derrick mason
braylon edwards
lav. coles

He has Bulger, Holt and Bruce?? No wonder he wants to dump Bulger, all eggs in 1 basket.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Banned

top five qbs available in my league
brian griese
tim rattay
kurt warner
joey harrington
josh mccown

2 aren't playing, 1 sucks(JH) who i originally had, 1 is unproven, and griese who's barely holding it together down in tampa
Old 10-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

agreed on T.O., his points per game, 19.5 in my league

the qbs in question average per
mcnabb 22.3
bulger 16.5
frerotte 14.0
brunell 13.3

holt is 15.3

the only way this deal would get done is if holt and bulger are packaged together. then again, i don't see him doing that either. i'll probably just hang in with what i have right now. i've got LT and julius jones at RB, so scoring points hasn't been a big problem with my current lineup. it's just the qb situation is a little unstable as neither player has really stepped up to the plate yet.

Well, if you factor in the figures you gave me...your fine the way you are.

TO and Ferotten collectively average 33.5 ppg.

Holt and Bulger collectively average 31.8 ppg.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:45 AM
Banned

He has Bulger, Holt and Bruce?? No wonder he wants to dump Bulger, all eggs in 1 basket.
it gets worse, or maybe not

he has mcnabb, b. westbrook, lj smith, and eagles D starting

6 players from 2 teams starting in 8 total positions

too many eggs in one basket, but hes doing pretty good with those eggs
Old 10-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Banned

Well, if you factor in the figures you gave me...your fine the way you are.

TO and Ferotten collectively average 33.5 ppg.

Holt and Bulger collectively average 31.8 ppg.
ahhhh, oh wise one

i didn't look at it that way, good thinking
Old 10-07-2005, 10:46 AM

it gets worse, or maybe not

he has mcnabb, b. westbrook, lj smith, and eagles D starting

6 players from 2 teams starting in 8 total positions

too many eggs in one basket, but hes doing pretty good with those eggs

Til' the bye weeks crack the eggs.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

top five qbs available in my league
brian griese
tim rattay
kurt warner
joey harrington
josh mccown

2 aren't playing, 1 sucks(JH) who i originally had, 1 is unproven, and griese who's barely holding it together down in tampa
Yeah Griese is by far the best out of that bunch but not much of an upgrade from what you have.

Offer the guy who has Peyton Manning TO and see if he takes it. Peyton's numbers are going to skyrocket, but then again that is still kind of a lateral trade until Peyton throws 6 TD's.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:49 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
is curtis martin going to have a good week?
Old 10-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Too true.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SG81
is curtis martin going to have a good week?
I would stay away from him this week...since they have no passing game; defenses are bringing the safeties up. They need to establish their passing game, so until then stay away from starting Curtis unless you have to. What are your options though?
Old 10-07-2005, 10:55 AM
Banned

week 6
7 players on bye week

4 starters

no backup TE, Def. and a backup RB he can't play in place of westbrook

projected lineup
qb-bulger
rb- nick goings
rb-warrick dunn
wr-torry holt
wr-isaac bruce
te- NONE
Def.-None
kicker-jeff reed

he needs to make some moves
Old 10-07-2005, 10:56 AM
Banned

I would stay away from him this week...since they have no passing game; defenses are bringing the safeties up. They need to establish their passing game, so until then stay away from starting Curtis unless you have to. What are your options though?

agreed, when chad went down, martin took a seat on the bench for me in my other league

would hold off unless you have no other options, and they are playing TB the best defense in the league
Old 10-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
thanks!

in total, i have 3 RB's:

Curtis Martin
Ronnie Brown
T.J. Duckett

i need to sit one, so i guess it'll be Martin.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SG81
thanks!

in total, i have 3 RB's:

Curtis Martin
Ronnie Brown
T.J. Duckett

i need to sit one, so i guess it'll be Martin.
I am actually starting Ronnie Brown this week over Caddy and Willie Parker. He is going up against a weak Buffalo defense with no Takeo Spikes for run support. He also had a very good game last week so hopefully he has hit his stride. You know TJ will get you at least one TD.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:21 AM
We dont love these hoes

man, this is the one week i have to start Hasselbeck because daunte is on the bye week, and all the seattle recievers are hurt! oh well, i guess he'll still produce better than daunte can
Old 10-07-2005, 11:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sdog2012
man, this is the one week i have to start Hasselbeck because daunte is on the bye week, and all the seattle recievers are hurt! oh well, i guess he'll still produce better than daunte can
Yeah I am kind of wondering who Tim is going to throw to? Maybe they will call Jerry Rice for another go around... Being a Vikings' Fan too, I am very disappointed with Daunte's performance this year!
Old 10-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cazzy you're alive...!!
Old 10-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am actually starting Ronnie Brown this week over Caddy and Willie Parker. He is going up against a weak Buffalo defense with no Takeo Spikes for run support. He also had a very good game last week so hopefully he has hit his stride. You know TJ will get you at least one TD.

What's the status though? Is he sharing carries with Williams?

Quick Reply: **Official NFL Football Discussion Thread**