Southeast Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina & Tennessee

** Official Charlotte Area Chat Thread **

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
^ Yeah, looks like she's coming... as are my neighbors... so we have a group of 4. We'll likely take the A6...
Old 06-28-2009, 11:45 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
As chill_dog mentioned... a bunch of people are going to HIN in Charlotte. Here is the link for that... https://acurazine.com/forums/southeast-318/hin-charlotte-nc-cabarrus-arena-concord-june-27th-2009-a-730594/

Additionally, Cars & Coffee (C&C) is coming up again on the 4th of July. I know my wife and I are heading up... likely with my neighbor and his wife. I am not sure if there will be another AZ convoy... but there has been the last few C&C's... so stay tuned here for more info on that...
I don't drink coffee and no longer have my TL but I'd be interested in where this C&C thing is scheduled to happen on the 4th. I wouldn't mind seeing you guys again and I could augment the vehicular diversity along with the A6 (or was that for HIN?). Either way, it looks like I missed HIN as I didn't return from vacation until today.

Last edited by ndabunka; 06-28-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
My Charlotte people,

Maybe off-topic but it's Charlotte related

Anyone have AT&T? I have Verizon for my cell phone but I'm thinking of switching to the iPhone. Verizon is very good here and I want to make sure AT&T has good coverage as well.

How is the service here? Any dropped calls, no service areas, etc...

Thanks guys!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I'll be there Saturday. Might have my friend in tow to take some semi-professional pictures. What time is the AZ crew arriving and where are we parking?

ndabunka - you didn't miss anything by not going to HIN. C&C is this weekend...the coffee is only if you go to the coffee shop and buy some (heard it closed, too). I think the name stems from the fact that it's so damn early in the morning. It's at an outparcel at NorthLake mall (by the Panera bread). I can't be more specific as I'm not familiar with the area. Take 77 north to Harris Blvd., turn into the mall entrance, turn left. Or you can just meet up with the guys at the pre-meet in Ballantyne and ride up with the convoy.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Originally Posted by alexSU
My Charlotte people,

Anyone have AT&T? I have Verizon for my cell phone but I'm thinking of switching to the iPhone. Verizon is very good here and I want to make sure AT&T has good coverage as well.

Thanks guys!
Depends where you are. I have/had two friends with AT&T (that I know of). One just switched to Verizon because she had no reception at her house (unless she walked to the end of her driveway). She lives off Providence Rd. in south Charlotte. My other friend had Verizon and switched to get an iPhone. His coverage seems worse as his calls break up a lot now. His calls are ok when he's work (downtown) or at home (just south of 485).
Old 06-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Under construction

Originally Posted by chill_dog
Depends where you are. I have/had two friends with AT&T (that I know of). One just switched to Verizon because she had no reception at her house (unless she walked to the end of her driveway). She lives off Providence Rd. in south Charlotte. My other friend had Verizon and switched to get an iPhone. His coverage seems worse as his calls break up a lot now. His calls are ok when he's work (downtown) or at home (just south of 485).
Thanks Jack! I think Verizon has the best coverage. They can't be beat. So far it's like 10 votes for Verizon and 1 for AT&T. Damn, can't wait for the iPhone to be available at Verizon
Old 06-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

^They do. I have Verizon and wouldn't waste my money with anything else. I get a discount through work with all companies, and even though a couple of other companies have bigger discounts, I still use Verizon. In fact, when I first signed up, we didn't even get a discount with Verizon, just some of the other companies.

Honestly, though, as long as you're in a large metropolitan area, you should be fine with any company. It's once you start getting out of the cities and into the rural areas that you have to be concerned with coverage. That said, I've never had reception problems in NC, SC, or FL (urban, rural, or BFE).
Old 06-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Senior Moderator

I'll be there Saturday. Might have my friend in tow to take some semi-professional pictures. What time is the AZ crew arriving and where are we parking?

ndabunka - you didn't miss anything by not going to HIN. C&C is this weekend...the coffee is only if you go to the coffee shop and buy some (heard it closed, too). I think the name stems from the fact that it's so damn early in the morning. It's at an outparcel at NorthLake mall (by the Panera bread). I can't be more specific as I'm not familiar with the area. Take 77 north to Harris Blvd., turn into the mall entrance, turn left. Or you can just meet up with the guys at the pre-meet in Ballantyne and ride up with the convoy.
I think we are going to shoot to be OTD by 8:30am-9am or so. I'd like to get there early before it gets crazy hot and before cars start leaving early. I will likely be driving straight-up instead of meeting the convoy.

And yes, the Starbucks closed, but Panera Bread is still open... so there should be something to sip or munch on if you're interested.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks Jack! I think Verizon has the best coverage. They can't be beat. So far it's like 10 votes for Verizon and 1 for AT&T. Damn, can't wait for the iPhone to be available at Verizon
I have Sprint through the Employee Referral Program (you do not need to know an employee... just search the web for a name and code) and it's cheap and I do not have any service problems. Just as good as my wife's Verizon coverage... if not better.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:19 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

My Charlotte people,

Thanks guys!
I use AT&T service but if I do change, it would be changing back to Verizon as they really DO have better coverage in NC. My job is actually providing design services to service providers (both wireless and wireline (Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Any and all prior "Bells") as well as the VoIP vendors (like Time Warner and Vonage). My most recent gig was redesigning the ericsson IMS core that will be used in T-Mobile's parent company, Deutsche Telecom's land line division, T-Home. I work for Alcatel-Lucent from my home office.

Thanks for the info on the C&C. I live on the north side of Charlotte and am very familiar with Northlake so I now know where you guys are meeting. Unfortunately, I just realized that the meet is shooting for a Saturday so getting there might be tough but I will try.

Last edited by ndabunka; 06-29-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Under construction

^They do. I have Verizon and wouldn't waste my money with anything else. I get a discount through work with all companies, and even though a couple of other companies have bigger discounts, I still use Verizon. In fact, when I first signed up, we didn't even get a discount with Verizon, just some of the other companies.

Honestly, though, as long as you're in a large metropolitan area, you should be fine with any company. It's once you start getting out of the cities and into the rural areas that you have to be concerned with coverage. That said, I've never had reception problems in NC, SC, or FL (urban, rural, or BFE).
I get a discount through my work as well. Nothing big but still saves some money. Your right about the metropolitan area, everything works good in the city. The only place I don't get service with Verizon was deep in PA when I drove through to Charlotte.

I have Sprint through the Employee Referral Program (you do not need to know an employee... just search the web for a name and code) and it's cheap and I do not have any service problems. Just as good as my wife's Verizon coverage... if not better.
I had Sprint back in NY about 2 years ago. It wasn't very good, service was horrible! They did give me a free phone, free accessories and coupons That was 2 years ago in NY...I'm sure they improved now.

Originally Posted by ndabunka
I use AT&T service but if I do change, it would be changing back to Verizon as they really DO have better coverage in NC. My job is actually providing design services to service providers (both wireless and wireline (Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Any and all prior "Bells") as well as the VoIP vendors (like Time Warner and Vonage). My most recent gig was redesigning the ericsson IMS core that will be used in T-Mobile's parent company, Deutsche Telecom's land line division, T-Home. I work for Alcatel-Lucent from my home office.
Sounds like you have a fun job I'd love to work from home. Too bad I'm a dummy about this kind of stuff
Old 06-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

I work for Alcatel-Lucent from my home office.

Thanks for the info on the C&C. I live on the north side of Charlotte and am very familiar with Northlake so I now know where you guys are meeting. Unfortunately, I just realized that the meet is shooting for a Saturday so getting there might be tough but I will try.
I need to work from home. I do one day a week, but four or five would be better.

For some reason I thought you were in south Charlotte. Oh well. C&C is always the first Saturday of the month. I guess part of the reason it's so early (starts at 8:00) is so it doesn't interfere with the rest of your day.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Panera Bread is still open... so there should be something to sip or munch on if you're interested.
I grabbed a breakfast sandwich there last time, and it was pretty good. For some reason I was surprised by that fact.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Senior Moderator

I had Sprint back in NY about 2 years ago. It wasn't very good, service was horrible! They did give me a free phone, free accessories and coupons That was 2 years ago in NY...I'm sure they improved now.
I never had Sprint in NY but had friends who did... and they hated it. My only experience is in/around Charlotte... and service here is excellent. However, when traveling back to NY for visits I take my phone, and the service there is excellent as well. I also tend to get a signal when my wife does not (verizon)... YMMV.

C&C is always the first Saturday of the month. I guess part of the reason it's so early (starts at 8:00) is so it doesn't interfere with the rest of your day.
Actually, the reason it is so early is so that it does not interfere with other businesses during business hours. The shopping center allows for the meets, but everyone has to be gone by 11am which is the time the shops at the center open. Pretty cool IMO as most developments would shun this type of event.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Actually, the reason it is so early is so that it does not interfere with other businesses during business hours. The shopping center allows for the meets, but everyone has to be gone by 11am which is the time the shops at the center open. Pretty cool IMO as most developments would shun this type of event.
Yeah, I was looking around their website earlier, and saw something to that affect mentioned. It is cool, but there is a flip side: business. Panera was jammed with people from the event the last time I was there, and I saw a lot of Starbucks cups around. Plus, being over at lunch time, I'm sure some people went ahead and grabbed lunch nearby and/or went shopping. Plus, you have to consider, this isn't some ricefest with stupid kids making noise and being nuisances; for the most part, it's older, more respectful people.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:31 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Also, I just talked to my friend and he's bringing a couple of cameras and some gear (nothing major, just some strobes and stuff). Should make for some nice pictures. We'll be getting there early, so can somebody (Jim, Jon, Eric) give me a call when the convoy's inbound? Or is there a particular place we're planning on parking? I'd just assume have the TL with the rest of the crew.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:28 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

I need to work from home. I do one day a week, but four or five would be better.

For some reason I thought you were in south Charlotte. Oh well. C&C is always the first Saturday of the month. I guess part of the reason it's so early (starts at 8:00) is so it doesn't interfere with the rest of your day.
Saturdays are always tough for me. It seems that everybody schedules things first thing on Saturday morning. I have a weekly golf group that tees off as soon as the sun rises (it seems) each Saturday. I also am the captain of our neighborhood 4.0 USTA tennis and it is played...yep, 9am each Saturday. The regular leagues are over but guess what, USTA mixed doubles (which I thankfully do not captain) has practice on ...Saturday mornings. I am also part of a neighborhood tennis league who decided (for some god aweful reason that play MUST be on ...yep,m Saturday mornings). Of course, this means that I don't have a DAMN thing to do on Sundays but can pretty much write off every Saturday. Well, since this Saturday falls on the actual holiday, I am hoping that the other events don't happen. If not, it may be August before I see you guys there.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:56 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

^Man, I would hate having all of my Saturdays booked up like that, even if it was with things I liked (as I'm sure you like golf/tennis). At least your Sunday's are free so it doesn't interfere with football .

Hopefully you'll be able to make it. I'll be there early, so I'll keep an eye out for you.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Just a heads-up to anyone who's coming up... we're shooting to be there for the 8am start since we're heading out to Lake Hickory directly from there.

So if anyone's going other then chill_dog, we'll be there in the wife's black A6.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:32 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Just a heads-up to anyone who's coming up... we're shooting to be there for the 8am start since we're heading out to Lake Hickory directly from there.

So if anyone's going other then chill_dog, we'll be there in the wife's black A6.
I was able to arrange a 10am tee time so I'll be there around 8:30 and will be driving my Black/Creme 750Li (as I sold my TL two weeks ago).
Old 07-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

JB - it was good meeting you and the wife. It's really cool that she's into cars. If you're ever in town and want to grab a beer, give me a call.

Eric - a pleasure, as always. The TL was looking really good.

I'm not sure what my friend snagged in the way of pictures, but he didn't take too many. I'll post them here whenever I get them since there aren't enough for a thread.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:45 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts

I'd love to work from home. ....
It's not all it's cracked up to be. Requires a lot of discipline; not only you, but freinds and family too. Just because you're home during the day doesn't mean you've got time to drop the kids at work, do the laundry, take the dogs to the vet and make dinner.

I used to work from home; now I work from Chicago.

But they let me escape for week-ends.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:22 AM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
^ at least you're working =)

i miss charlotte
Old 07-07-2009, 06:11 AM
Under construction

^^ That's true Jim. It may sounds awesome to work from home but sometimes I don't have that discipline. I'd be up and around doing other things besides work. Regardless, I'm trying to get a little business up and running. I'll definitely have to change my ways if that ever picks up.

Good luck up in Chicago! Hopefully pretty soon we can all enjoy a nice cold beer!
Old 07-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
It's not all it's cracked up to be.
I'd like to take my chances. Being able to do other things while you're working is the biggest plus, in my opinion.

Originally Posted by godfather2
^ at least you're working =)

i miss charlotte
You had a job the last I checked. Did something happen?

You could always come back.

Hopefully pretty soon we can all enjoy a nice cold beer!
Old 07-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Under construction

^ If I drink that quick I'll be done in about 15 minutes lol but with the way work has been (mentally exhausting) it sounds like a good idea.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:17 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

JB - it was good meeting you and the wife. It's really cool that she's into cars. If you're ever in town and want to grab a beer, give me a call.

Eric - a pleasure, as always. The TL was looking really good.

I'm not sure what my friend snagged in the way of pictures, but he didn't take too many. I'll post them here whenever I get them since there aren't enough for a thread.
Chill Dog and others - I did make the event but was only able to stay there for a short period and wasn't able to track down any of you TL guys while I was there (I did see your car but didn't see you so I assumed you were walking the lot). I did make my tee time and finished 5th in the tournament so everything worked out OK.

I did take some photo's though so at least I can contribute in that way. My count had a slew of cars there. About 10 to 12 ferarri's, 4 lambos, a GT40, about 10 Lotus elise's (no esprits), a BMW Z8 (one of my al-time favorite roadsters), about 20 Cobra 427 replica's (and maybe an authentic or two in there as well), a 66 corvette convert driver with a 427 in it, what looked like a early 40's Rolls-Royce, etc.. on and on... No wonder the 20 minutes I had I wasn't able to get through much ot it...WOW!

Old 07-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

^We kept an eye out for your car, but none of us saw it...just assumed you didn't make it. I spent most of the morning walking around, with the exception of about twenty minutes inside Panera grabbing a mid-morning snack...that was probably the same twenty minutes you were there It was a good show considering the light turnout (usually both lots are full). Oh, and at least two of those Cobra's were real .
Old 07-07-2009, 06:54 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

^We kept an eye out for your car, but none of us saw it...just assumed you didn't make it. I spent most of the morning walking around, with the exception of about twenty minutes inside Panera grabbing a mid-morning snack...that was probably the same twenty minutes you were there It was a good show considering the light turnout (usually both lots are full). Oh, and at least two of those Cobra's were real .
I drove in around 8:45 and parked down by Zobo in the lot where all the cars were but far enough away I would not get blocked in. I walked until about 9:15 and then drove through (the crowd) on my way back out and turned at Panaera to go back out the back way. Sorry I missed you. Will try to catch you again next tiem.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:25 AM
Time to Climb

i'm still working, but won't be able to hold out much longer
Old 07-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Sorry I missed you. Will try to catch you again next tiem.
Same here. It's been a while since that meet down in Ballantyne (or wherever it was...everything south of 51 looks the same to me). This happens once a month, much more consistently than our meets; I'm sure we'll catch up again at some point .
Old 07-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Originally Posted by godfather2
i'm still working, but won't be able to hold out much longer
By your choice or theirs? Sounds as if you don't like it.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Time to Climb

^ my choice ... i'll hang on as long as i can but many companies seem to think they can treat their employees however they want to. given the economy, companies know they can have their pick of the litter and hire whomever to replace you. thus, they make you jump through all kinds of hoops to keep your job.

i'm not happy here, but i've also contacted a lawyer for assistance in resolving some work-related issues
Old 07-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Quarterlife Crisis....

Received 108 Likes on 84 Posts
Oh wow man ...best of luck to ya
Old 07-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

^x2
Old 07-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well my fellow Queen City residents i moved away about a year and half ago but today just had to take a roadtrip back home to the QC much different ride in the TL than it was in the old 97 prelude I use to have, it was great to pass the freedom drive exit look right and see downtown charlotte overwhelming sense of so that leads me to my question other than the first sat of the month which is always hard for me to come to due to work is there any other meets that go on?, I really would like to gain some folks that share my same love for the TL....and pick all of your brains for some knowledge...I will keep trying to make it for C&C theres always next month
Old 07-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Under construction

Wake up Charlotte!! Enjoy the weekend
Old 07-13-2009, 04:12 PM
Under construction

Got my windows tinted at SpeedStyles. Awesome job and great guys over there. Paid $165 for 15% and no extra options. I wipe the plastic/rubber piece where the window slides down every day so I didn't feel the need to pay $35 extra for each window for the moleskin.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by xtmjoey
Well my fellow Queen City residents i moved away about a year and half ago but today just had to take a roadtrip back home to the QC much different ride in the TL than it was in the old 97 prelude I use to have, it was great to pass the freedom drive exit look right and see downtown charlotte overwhelming sense of so that leads me to my question other than the first sat of the month which is always hard for me to come to due to work is there any other meets that go on?, I really would like to gain some folks that share my same love for the TL....and pick all of your brains for some knowledge...I will keep trying to make it for C&C theres always next month
Keep an eye on this regional forum. If any other meets form, it will be listed here. For now the monthly C&C is kind of our only standing meet... and it's not even official. Sometimes there are several members who go, others, like in July, just 2 or 3 of us.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Same here. Glad we got a chance to meet up and put a face to the name! We'll likely head up in August as well... and this time we will be able to take more time out to talk to some of the owners since we will not be leaving for a vacation/day trip that same day.

Quick Reply: ** Official Charlotte Area Chat Thread **