'05 TL - Airbag Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 11:38 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'05 TL - Airbag Light

I just last week started seeing the airbag light come on, however, originally seemed inconsistent (sometimes wouldn't be on till I started driving for a while), but now is on all the time.

Any ideas on what it is or do I have to pay for a diagnosis at dealer?

In my BMW it ended up being a sensor in the seat that caused the airbag light. In that car, I ended up buying a "cheater" to plug into the connector so the computer always got a good signal from the seat sensor as long as car was on, which I guess it needed to work. Any thoughts or experience here would be helpful.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:10 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Probably need the dealer to scan it unless you know some other place that can scan SRS codes. Most places like Autozone or Advanced Auto cannot scan SRS codes. The seat belt buckle is a common cause of the light but it is of a non-latching type. Meaning it will often be gone when you start but then appear later. If your light is always on then it may be something more. If it turns out to be the belt buckle that should be covered under a separate federal warranty no matter how old the car is. But IMO no dealer will agree up front. They will scan and if it's not the buckle, or covered, want a decent chunk of change just to scan it.

I had the problem years ago and was able to get a friend to scan. I did what's in this post (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...1-10-a-887856/) but used silicone spray instead of WD40. I didn't work the first time so I did it a second time and it never came back. I just didn't want to have to deal with a dealer (far away and dickheads). In my case I knew it was the buckle and a new part on-line was pretty cheap so I would have changed it out myself anyway. (time to go to dealer, argue, potentially pay $100 for scan, maybe get covered...way more than the part cost back then. They are a bit pricier now.

I really would not recommend trying to trick the system unless you are absolutely sure you know how the system will respond. Best case it works as designed. Worst case you unknowingly defeat some feature. Not to mention the personal liability you would expose yourself to if anyone ever got hurt in your car and there was any SRS issues (even if not caused by your hack)
Old 01-29-2017, 02:59 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same thing on my 04 TL recently and the dealer replaced it free. It was a faulty sensor built into the seatbelt buckle. Honda and Acura have lifetime warranties on all seatbelt parts so this saved me over $300 parts and labor.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:22 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

I have the same issue, I'll be taking mine in to the dealer now. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by aztec209; 02-02-2017 at 04:24 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:41 PM
Instructor

Apparently it's the left front impact sensor that is faulty, and not communicating with the airbag system properly.

The dealer wants like $400 for one. I presume this is something I could get off a partout car, as long as it wasn't involved in an impact.
Does anyone have one around. Pic below of the part I am in need of.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:03 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

I think you can get it pretty cheaply from many of the online Acura dealers. Did the dealer give you a part number they would be replacing?

It may, that is MAY, be item 4 (front crash sensor) in the link below but since 2 different part numbers are shown for item #4 it is probably a VIN specific part. So do your research to get the exact part you need.

OEM Acura TL SEDAN 2005 SRS UNIT parts
Old 02-12-2017, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Adobeman
I think you can get it pretty cheaply from many of the online Acura dealers. Did the dealer give you a part number they would be replacing?

It may, that is MAY, be item 4 (front crash sensor) in the link below but since 2 different part numbers are shown for item #4 it is probably a VIN specific part. So do your research to get the exact part you need.

OEM Acura TL SEDAN 2005 SRS UNIT parts
Wow, that's pretty cheap for a new one! Thanks Adobeman. No, I don't have a part number, but if I can access the part easily, I'll see if I can grab it off the one in my car so I have an exact match.
Or, I'll give my VIN to the dealer parts guy and have him give me a part number.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:32 PM
Instructor

This is going to sound like a stupid question, but can anyone help me find where this part is on the car? I figured it would be attached to the inside front fender on the driver's side or on the frame rail somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. It might be buried under the airbox or behind the headlamp or something, but doesn't seem like it's super accessible without taking things apart.

Any help with how to get to it or at least where it's located exactly would be very much appreciated. Anyone BTDT to replace this part on their own?
Old 02-17-2017, 05:49 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Here is the basic idea. But even with the battery disconnected they recommend unplugging many other srs components.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:26 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,041 Likes on 773 Posts
I believe these are the location of those sensors.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:08 PM
Instructor

Thanks again Steve!

Looks like it's accessible from underneath, which is why I wasn't seeing it. I'll try and jack it up and gain access from below.
Should be able to do this one myself and feel somewhat useful, saving a few hundred bucks in the process.
So, I do presume I'll need to make a visit to a dealer / shop, etc, to reset the airbag light, however?