Does anyone know how accurate Tire Rack, Discount Tire, etc are with wheel fitment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 12:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Does anyone know how accurate Tire Rack, Discount Tire, etc are with wheel fitment?

I'm considering buying one of the two below wheels for my wife's '07 TL Type-S but I'm not sure they won't rub on the Brembo calipers. When I do a search under a base model TL both the wheels come up as options but when I search under the Type-S body style they do not. Now I assume this is because a clearance issue is suspected or verified by Tire Rack or the wheel manufacturer. Although I did email ASA and they said they didn't know for sure either way and to check with TR. But I'm curious if anyone on here has ever ordered a wheel via TR or Discount Tire or some other similar distributor that was listed as fitting a base TL but not the Type-S but then found that the wheels cleared. Or if with a minimal (5 mm) spacer if they were good. Or if just based on these specific rim specs if you think they will or won't fit. I would think the ASA wheel with a 45mm offset would be OK. The Axis wheel has a 40mm offset. They are only 8" wide so a little spacer might make them fit the car better anyway.

I know some may think, "Why not just get another wheel?" or that these two choices are "boring" but I like the fact that both of these, especially the ASA, very closely resemble the factory Type-S wheel. They'll keep that factory look, which my wife and I both like, but just look better overall due to the larger diameter. Hell, someone with the same train of thought may have even tried these wheels on their car from this website. Although after having been through many, many pages of wheel threads on this forum I haven't come across either... even on a base TL.

ASA GT12 -
ASA GT12 Titanium Gunmetal

Axis Model Five -
Axis Model Five Gunmetal Painted

Thanks in advance for any info/advice,
Ryan
Old 08-23-2016, 12:17 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Hey Ryan!

Both wheel specs look good on paper! but in real life, spokes play apart of fitment! to me the ASA looks like the spokes are not interfering and would need a test fit, to be sure!
I like the ASA's better!
Old 08-23-2016, 01:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
i am 90% confident neither wheel will fit. i've never heard of any wheel more than +35 other than the oem wheels that clear the brembos, and i've done a lot of time researching to find fitments that fit my setup (had xxr 530s and now tsw nurburgrings)

you'll have to do a fit check or find another wheel that someone can confirm.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:44 PM
Intermediate

Thanks guys. And sockr1, maybe I'm thinking about this wrong but wouldn't a bigger positive offset generally put more space between the spokes and the mounting hub thus reducing the chance of interference? Although if I'm not mistaken regardless of the offset the spoke/wheel design can still potentially cause interference issues.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,019 Likes on 761 Posts
ASA's look better, and isn't +33 the highest you can go for offset with brembo's?
Old 08-24-2016, 12:20 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Originally Posted by BreezyTL
ASA's look better, and isn't +33 the highest you can go for offset with brembo's?
thus why we're at this junction.
hard to tell without actually putting the wheel on the car
The following users liked this post:
BreezyTL (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 12:26 PM
Intermediate

If my wife and I decide to try and go the ASA route I'll probably just order one wheel and test fit it first. If they don't fit or can't be made to fit with a minimal spacer then I'll return it. But of course I'd love to know the answer to this without going through the hassle/expense of ordering a wheel.

I'm also considering these as an option. And they even come up as one that will fit on the Type-S. 18x9 w/ a 40mm offset on a car not lowered won't be a problem will it?

Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct
Old 08-24-2016, 12:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,705 Likes on 6,714 Posts

Old 08-24-2016, 12:35 PM
Safety Car

buy one, test it out, and let us know the outcome... we can't say yes or no since we don't have them and like it was stated before. the spokes will play a big roll in fitment!
Old 08-24-2016, 12:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,705 Likes on 6,714 Posts
buy one, test it out, and let us know the outcome... we can't say yes or no since we don't have them and like it was stated before. the spokes will play a big roll in fitment!
i beg to differ, i've said both

Originally Posted by thoiboi

Old 08-29-2016, 10:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by sockr1
i am 90% confident neither wheel will fit. i've never heard of any wheel more than +35 other than the oem wheels that clear the brembos, and i've done a lot of time researching to find fitments that fit my setup (had xxr 530s and now tsw nurburgrings)

you'll have to do a fit check or find another wheel that someone can confirm.
What made you go from the xxr 530 to the TSW??? was looking at both for my '06 6MT but wondered about the offset on the 530... I don't want to run spacers & I don't want to slam the car either... possibly lower slightly... want something nice & tasteful... not real ricey

Been doing lots of searching... find a nice wheel I like & won't fit with the Brembos
Old 08-30-2016, 08:58 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KBacon
What made you go from the xxr 530 to the TSW??? was looking at both for my '06 6MT but wondered about the offset on the 530... I don't want to run spacers & I don't want to slam the car either... possibly lower slightly... want something nice & tasteful... not real ricey

Been doing lots of searching... find a nice wheel I like & won't fit with the Brembos
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-t...-530-a-837606/

Start Reading!!!
Old 08-30-2016, 09:15 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KBacon

hey what's up man! i had the xxrs for a few years and i really liked the concavity of the wheels and i had great fitment, but they were just a little too aggressive for me. you have to run a 225/40 tire on that which can make for a harsh ride and i really wanted to go to a thicker tire and a more comfortable ride as i get older haha. the tsws were still a little aggressive but were about 9mm or so less aggressive...which makes a huge difference.

with the xxrs i had to drive very slow on bumps, take corners slow...but i got to a point where i wanted to really use all the performance mods i have and have fun, spirited driving. so i switched them up and i am so happy i did. i also got rid of a bunch of wheel weight too because the xxrs weigh a lot and the tsws weigh very little. it was a win win. so now i fly around corner and don't have to worry about rubbing or anything. i also have all my fenders rolled and even cut away the "bumper tab" (if you look that up you'll know what i'm talking about). not saying you'll have to, but it's a pretty aggressive fit

let me know if you have any more questions!

you can't go wrong with the xxrs though. great looking wheel that doesn't kill your bank account.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:59 AM
Intermediate

I have been reading... Just lots of BS to weed through!!!

Originally Posted by sockr1
hey what's up man! i had the xxrs for a few years and i really liked the concavity of the wheels and i had great fitment, but they were just a little too aggressive for me. you have to run a 225/40 tire on that which can make for a harsh ride and i really wanted to go to a thicker tire and a more comfortable ride as i get older haha. the tsws were still a little aggressive but were about 9mm or so less aggressive...which makes a huge difference.

with the xxrs i had to drive very slow on bumps, take corners slow...but i got to a point where i wanted to really use all the performance mods i have and have fun, spirited driving. so i switched them up and i am so happy i did. i also got rid of a bunch of wheel weight too because the xxrs weigh a lot and the tsws weigh very little. it was a win win. so now i fly around corner and don't have to worry about rubbing or anything. i also have all my fenders rolled and even cut away the "bumper tab" (if you look that up you'll know what i'm talking about). not saying you'll have to, but it's a pretty aggressive fit

let me know if you have any more questions!

you can't go wrong with the xxrs though. great looking wheel that doesn't kill your bank account.
Thanks man!!! That's really good info... I also like driving aggressively & not just going for looks. I was just about ready to pull the trigger on the 530s.. but everything I read said the car had to be lowered to look right & could only run a 225. Wasn't aware about the weight though.

Just like the OP... I also wondered how accurate the Discount Tire & Tire Rack (& others) fitment recommendations are.. or are they being really conservative in their fitments & most of what they offer are only 8" wide??? Others that own the same vehicle & can testify to the actual fitment seems to be much more helpful... esp when you are wanting something a little different than the norm...
Old 08-30-2016, 01:07 PM
Safety Car

530's don't look horrible at stock height, but do look better with a subtle drop!

Old 08-30-2016, 01:30 PM
Intermediate

Those do look really good (esp for the $$$)... any chance of fitting a 245 on them??? The 225s just aren't wide enough for that rim... just asking to be curbed!!! I need some curb protection!!!
Old 08-30-2016, 02:07 PM
Safety Car

530s don't look great at stock height, they have major poke without a drop....i'd rather be sunken in a bit than have them poke.

some people were able to fit 235s on there with no problems but i don't think anyone did 245s on them. if you want to narrow out the bs, search for posts by me in that thread, i put in a lot of useful information. i started with 235s to have more cushion, but my car rubbed at that size. some cars will rub with 235, some won't...every car is different. 225s however are a safe size in terms of rubbing...but ride quality goes down

i would take tire rack's recommendations with a grain of salt because they don't test fit all those sizes...they just do some generic assumptions and then provide you with those results. i would only go by someone's experience or an actual test fit

Last edited by sockr1; 08-30-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:30 AM
Safety Car

Here is the stretch/poke of a 225 on a 8.75 +20 XXR 530

Old 11-04-2016, 08:48 AM
Intermediate

Breezy, in the pic above (post #15) is that at stock ride height or lowered? I presume lowered but want to make sure. I'd like to find a wheel/tire combo I like without having to lower the wife's car but I'm not admittedly opposed to doing it either as long as the drop is minimal. Although I'd really like to be able to run some 235 tires too and I don't think the width and offset of these wheels is going to allow that.

Thanks.