Suggestions for Splitter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016 | 05:05 PM
Advanced

Suggestions for Splitter?

I'm looking to adding a splitter to my car anyone got a suggestion for what might work? In terms of brand or shape etc.

Also suggestions on where I can buy them.

Just FYI, I have the a-spec front underbody spoilers attached, so the splitter will go beneath that.
Old 04-08-2016 | 05:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Many people use the STI lip from ebay. Search for 2006 sti lip. It requires work to make fit since it was obviously not made for our cars.

Aeroflow Dynamics makes custom splitters for any car. You can check them out on instagram. A few 2013-15 ILXs have their splitter already. They make two versions. One with winglets one without. All ILXs owners have gone the winglet route which I find appalling so I suggest doing a V1 splitter from them without the stupid little winglets.

Aeroflow splitter on Aaron's ILX
Name:  IMG_9303.jpg
Views: 4124
Size:  77.0 KB

STI lip on mine

Sorry both are 2013 but no one with a 2016 front end has done anything except for the oem front lip.

I would suggest the STI lip for two reasons if you can make it fit...

1. More durable. The Aeroflow splitter is made from aluminum so it can easily get bent if you hit or get hit by something. The aluminum will bend and once a crease is formed it is literally impossible to remove it. We all know how easily a sheet of aluminum can bend so keep that in mind. It does look great though with the gloss black. The STI lip is polyurethane so it will stand up to a beating. The front of mine is all chewed up.

2. The STI lip looks better IMO. The aeroflow is just too thin for my liking and therefor looks weak/cheap even though it is anything but cheap. Weak maybe, but not cheap.

The aeroflow you have the option for them to install the splitter for you and for more cash you could have them mount the splitter to the chassis versus just the bumper... which would make it an actually functioning splitter.

Last edited by usdmJON; 04-08-2016 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-08-2016 | 05:57 PM
Advanced

Hey Do you have a picture of the splitter before you put it on your car? My biggest concern is that the 2016 model has a bit of negative space in between the two foglights/vents. Im afraid there might be a gap if the splitter is like not wide... Of course if it was wider then there will be no issues with a gap watsoever. Not sure if you understand what I mean.. haha

Originally Posted by usdmJON
Many people use the STI lip from ebay. Search for 2006 sti lip. It requires work to make fit since it was obviously not made for our cars.

Aeroflow Dynamics makes custom splitters for any car. You can check them out on instagram. A few 2013-15 ILXs have their splitter already. They make two versions. One with winglets one without. All ILXs owners have gone the winglet route which I find appalling so I suggest doing a V1 splitter from them without the stupid little winglets.

Aeroflow splitter on Aaron's ILX

STI lip on mine

Sorry both are 2013 but no one with a 2016 front end has done anything except for the oem front lip.

I would suggest the STI lip for two reasons if you can make it fit...

1. More durable. The Aeroflow splitter is made from aluminum so it can easily get bent if you hit or get hit by something. The aluminum will bend and once a crease is formed it is literally impossible to remove it. We all know how easily a sheet of aluminum can bend so keep that in mind. It does look great though with the gloss black. The STI lip is polyurethane so it will stand up to a beating. The front of mine is all chewed up.

2. The STI lip looks better IMO. The aeroflow is just too thin for my liking and therefor looks weak/cheap even though it is anything but cheap. Weak maybe, but not cheap.

The aeroflow you have the option for them to install the splitter for you and for more cash you could have them mount the splitter to the chassis versus just the bumper... which would make it an actually functioning splitter.
Old 04-08-2016 | 06:05 PM
Suzuka Master

I do not have a pic of the lip alone.

Othera have put the same lip on and it hangs an inch over on both sides.

The lip is polyurethane so i bolted the middle up tight then purposefully pulled the sides in so it wouldnt be wider than the car. So my lip is under a bit of tension because it wants to be about an inch wider than i installed it.

You may be able to do similar but for an opposite result. Bolt the middle up tight with 3 bolts them pull the side and bolt it where it looks nice.

You will be bolting the lip straight into the underside of your painted bumper and aspec kit. Keep that in mind.
Old 04-08-2016 | 06:33 PM
Advanced

Whats the difference between the two besides the shape of it. Is it just my personal preference?

Old 04-08-2016 | 06:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes personal preference. I find the second one with the winglets ugly. I hate winglets. I think they belong on more track ready set ups with crazy logos all over the car body.

Also since your ILX has the added kit on the side the winglets may not even fit around the kit. May look more like this where the winglets look like they are sagging.

Suggestions for Splitter?-ryzjx.jpg