2011 w/Tech or 2011 or 2012 w/o Tech? Is tech really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 w/Tech or 2011 or 2012 w/o Tech? Is tech really worth it?

So I've been looking at various websites attempting to find a 6MT with tech and I've found all of three in the entire country and only ONE on autotrader.

Which begs the question, what exactly do you get with tech? Is it worth it? Seems damn near impossible to find when I can get a 2011 or 2012 w/o tech for a pretty reasonable price all day long.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:45 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Adds - One of the finest OE audio systems available, a very good nav system, a great backup camera and (as far as I'm concerned, unnoticeable) GPS enhanced climate control system.

Me, I wouldn't get the non-tech.
The following users liked this post:
lumn8 (06-04-2021)
Old 05-07-2013, 09:43 PM
I Spit On You.

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
I also have 2010 tech and would never got a non-tech. Audio system is great in it's class, bass is great but I just wish it would shake a bit more... but It's just because I need to add a sub, nonetheless the audio system is great. Nav is great too, 2011 and up has a built in hard drive that will rip your music of cd's so you can play them back.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
If you want the Tech and the 6-speed I think it would be best to either expand your years or just give up on the combo altogether and go with an Auto/Tech. At this stage of the game I think it is best for folks to decide that either the 6-speed is more important than the Tech to them or the Tech is more important than the 6-speed, as the supply and Acura's decisions for their models has really made it an either/or discussion anymore. Sure, needles in the haystacks exist but for me it would not be worth the hassle.

But to answer your question, I have an '09 Tech (important to note that the '11 will have upgraded Tech features in comparison to mine) and I am on the fence when I am asked if I would do it again. The sound system is nice but I had a '12 SE loaner recently and that sound system was no slouch in my opinion, I love the backup camera and this comes in handy daily in my urban environment, the Navi is meh (to be honest lately my Navi has let me down on a few occasions and my phone's Navi has proven itself far more useful), I never use the voice commands and quite frankly don't like them, like ceb said the GPS climate control I don't even notice (and I don't really use the auto settings anyway, so it's a moot point for me), so...

*I don't have the HDD in mine but you would, and I think that is a useless feature because of the lower bit rate it stores the songs at.

The Tech does complete the car and adds to its luxury feel and I think that in and of itself may be worth it but if I really really wanted a manual tranny, I could live without it I am sure.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
i have to say the back up camera is prob the best part of the tech package.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:39 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
what i think about tsx tech package.

verdict: must have. i wouldn't buy a TSX without it.

1. ELS sound system 10 speaker - most useful of the list with Dolby digitalII that isnt bad. now its not B&O of Audi. but better than BMW HK symphony

2. Dvd based audio playback - havent used it yet... dont think i will to be honest.

3. Back up camera - useful, but i dont have to have it. but sure makes it easier when parking

4. Hard drive based Nav and music storage - glad i dont have DVD based Nav. hate those things due to slugishness... specially honda. storage capacity i use it more than i thougt i would... even compared to USB

5. power seats driver and passenger - its a must.

6. moon roof - small size for these days but def better than nothing.

7. Navigation - not the best but i wouldn't skip out or go with out it. one of the must haves. its also good to have the screen for ipod playback and other such instead of 80s digital watch data info screen. bit simple for 2013 but less complicated than BMW iDrive, Audi MMS, and bit slower than Kia/hyundai Nav. but its good for what it is... a map. if you dont care about the "birds eye" or "3d" views and such its good but could be better.

8. Hands free calling - never use it.

9. Bluetooth sync - never use it

10. real time traffic - never use it

11. real time weather - never use it

12. i have a wagon, therefore i get power lift/close boot lid. this is probably the one i like a lot... 2nd on the list.

still undecided watch the CNET review of the TSX / TSX wagon with tech pack. on youtube that should give you a good idea if you want it or not.

Last edited by krnboy817; 05-08-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:00 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 533 Likes on 272 Posts
Tech

I've had the Navi package on an 08 Civic and both a 12' TSX and RDX and wouldn't go without it. Better sound system + a Navi when needed is excellent. Backup camera is awesome too on that screen.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:32 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by krnboy817
what i think about tsx tech package.

verdict: must have. i wouldn't buy a TSX without it.

1. ELS sound system 10 speaker - most useful of the list with Dolby digitalII that isnt bad. now its not B&O of Audi. but better than BMW HK symphony

2. Dvd based audio playback - havent used it yet... dont think i will to be honest.

3. Back up camera - useful, but i dont have to have it. but sure makes it easier when parking

4. Hard drive based Nav and music storage - glad i dont have DVD based Nav. hate those things due to slugishness... specially honda. storage capacity i use it more than i thougt i would... even compared to USB

5. power seats driver and passenger - its a must.

6. moon roof - small size for these days but def better than nothing.

7. Navigation - not the best but i wouldn't skip out or go with out it. one of the must haves. its also good to have the screen for ipod playback and other such instead of 80s digital watch data info screen. bit simple for 2013 but less complicated than BMW iDrive, Audi MMS, and bit slower than Kia/hyundai Nav. but its good for what it is... a map. if you dont care about the "birds eye" or "3d" views and such its good but could be better.

8. Hands free calling - never use it.

9. Bluetooth sync - never use it

10. real time traffic - never use it

11. real time weather - never use it

12. i have a wagon, therefore i get power lift/close boot lid. this is probably the one i like a lot... 2nd on the list.

still undecided watch the CNET review of the TSX / TSX wagon with tech pack. on youtube that should give you a good idea if you want it or not.
Some of that stuff is standard equipment it seems on the TSX. The cars I've driven without the tech have bluetooth, moonroof, hands free calling and power seats....
Old 05-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Tech. The sound system and the back up camera is on top of the list for me.

The navi screen makes the interior more upscale IMO
Mercedes>BMW (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For me, the 6 speed was more important so I chose the non tech (tech w/6 speed was very rare in my area). The only benefit that I would have gotten from the tech was the backup camera but in the end, 6MT>camera. I still dont regret my decision after a couple of years of ownership.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I'd have to agree with getting the tech, I think the OPs question was would you rather get a car that's one year older with tech or a newer car without it? They are basically the same price. The answer should be whether or not tech is worth the extra money and if you think you'll utilize it. If you're thinking resale in the future, as you can see, there is a market for tech, so the price should be similar between the 11 tech and 12 non-tech in the future as well.
6SpeedTA95 (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 04:02 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UntzUntzUntz
While I'd have to agree with getting the tech, I think the OPs question was would you rather get a car that's one year older with tech or a newer car without it? They are basically the same price. The answer should be whether or not tech is worth the extra money and if you think you'll utilize it. If you're thinking resale in the future, as you can see, there is a market for tech, so the price should be similar between the 11 tech and 12 non-tech in the future as well.
For me, I chose the newer model year. Just purchased a Sport Wagon a little over a month ago and chose a '13 non-tech over a '12 tech.

The stock audio system is decent and the GPS on the phone works fine for me. Would be nice to have the backup camera, but I've been fine without one for the past 25 years.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by suds
For me, I chose the newer model year. Just purchased a Sport Wagon a little over a month ago and chose a '13 non-tech over a '12 tech.

The stock audio system is decent and the GPS on the phone works fine for me. Would be nice to have the backup camera, but I've been fine without one for the past 25 years.

kind of surprising to see that someone would not opt for the car with reduced price with tech package 2012 and chose the same car at sticker priced 2013 with less option no package. got to be the color.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:39 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by krnboy817
kind of surprising to see that someone would not opt for the car with reduced price with tech package 2012 and chose the same car at sticker priced 2013 with less option no package. got to be the color.
Actually - it had to do with my work's managed vehicle reimbursement program. I only receive the full benefit within 5 model years...so buying a new model year gets me paid one more year down the line.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:09 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I've owned both. I had a '09 base and upgraded to the '11 tech. Both were manual trannies, with the '11 being the last year for a manual with nav. #winning! The notable features Tech gives you over the base are an updated audio system with more power and speakers, a 6 disk CD changer instead of a single disc player, navigation, an 8" color screen instead of the dated LED monochrome base screen from the 1980s, a backup camera, and more audio prompts from the car.

The audio system comparison was a wash for me. I could detect no difference from the two systems. It was all about the Nav and back-up camera. To me, nav really makes a luxury car seem luxurious and upscale. When you drive a luxury make and have a Garmin stuck to your window, it screams "I couldn't afford any options". That said, if I had to choose between a stick and nav, my choice would be to shop elsewhere. Because I wouldn't be interested in a TSX with an automatic and without nav. In the OP's situation I'd go for the 2011 with tech. From 2011 on there have been no changes to the car, so it'll be identical to the '12 and '13 model years.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by suds
Actually - it had to do with my work's managed vehicle reimbursement program. I only receive the full benefit within 5 model years...so buying a new model year gets me paid one more year down the line.
if the company is paying for 4 out of 5 yrs... i would of just got the tech n pay my self one year if needs to be or just trade it in after 4 yrs. while enjoying all the extra features.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:45 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95
So I've been looking at various websites attempting to find a 6MT with tech and I've found all of three in the entire country and only ONE on autotrader.

Which begs the question, what exactly do you get with tech? Is it worth it? Seems damn near impossible to find when I can get a 2011 or 2012 w/o tech for a pretty reasonable price all day long.

if you’re looking for a 6MT you are only going to find it with the tech package and SH-AWD
Old 02-09-2020, 03:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NickyMo
if you’re looking for a 6MT you are only going to find it with the tech package and SH-AWD
WTH dude, bumping a 7 year old thread? Also they never had SHAWD on the TSX...
EuroRspec (02-10-2020)