Does anyone LOVE the new TLX?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 07:31 PM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicious Type S
And power mirrors and remote start but no fucking 360 cam n HUD or heated rears... So frustrating but we are once again beating a dead horse... Acura better change that between now and release.
Lmao welcome to Acura man.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:01 PM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by reddogTL
If they're anything like the rain sensing wipers in my 2015 TLX Advance, they're trash. They're not much better in my 2019 S60 either. Seems to be a useless feature to me. It either goes too fast, starts up randomly without any rain, or goes too slow when its downpouring. I constantly had/have to adjust them.
It's more about the fact that Acura increases the pricing and loses their minds on how they optioned the 2G.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by reddogTL
If they're anything like the rain sensing wipers in my 2015 TLX Advance, they're trash. They're not much better in my 2019 S60 either.
They worked great on our 2014-MDX.
Only comment there is that the rear-one was still manual. Using the sensor in front, I always thought it should have started also.
So, it CAN work. I think it might have something to do with sensor placement, type, etc.

I'll also say that I didn't mind adjusting them a bit, occasionally (when I got around to it). But it was rarely needed.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by moviechick
i have the Advamced. I wanted the features so I bought the model. It’s a great car. No one anywhere will ever be 100% satisfied with anything. But that’s the beauty of life. If you don’t like the choices you don’t have to buy it.

I love my 2021 TLX and am so happy to own it over the 2018 RDX I traded im
Congratulations on the new car. May it bring you many years of enjoyment. What colour did you get?
Old 10-29-2020, 06:48 AM
Cruisin'

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Congratulations on the new car. May it bring you many years of enjoyment. What colour did you get?
Thank you! I usually go white with my vehicles since Acura didn’t have silver available years ago with my first TLX. I believe they have silver again but once I switched to white I love it!
Old 10-29-2020, 10:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Thank you! I usually go white with my vehicles since Acura didn’t have silver available years ago with my first TLX. I believe they have silver again but once I switched to white I love it!
Yeah, I like this new white color on the TLX. It's metallic, but still almost a pure white.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:37 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
Yeah, I like this new white color on the TLX. It's metallic, but still almost a pure white.
When it was parked next to my white RDX, it’s much brighter than the 2018 white. The 2018 RDX almost had a yellowish tint to it.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:44 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
I have to say; I love the vehicle!
just not worth it, imo. maybe because I'm poor.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
When it was parked next to my white RDX, it’s much brighter than the 2018 white. The 2018 RDX almost had a yellowish tint to it.
I love my Bellanova white pearl, but was thinking of moving to a mid range colour just for a change. However, its hard to go away from the new Platinum White Pearl for looks and practicality.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
I love my Bellanova white pearl, but was thinking of moving to a mid range colour just for a change. However, its hard to go away from the new Platinum White Pearl for looks and practicality.
Yes, hard to beat pure-white or something close.

Our new Audi is silver, so no grays.
I don't want another black car. The purple is very dark.
If not white, Red or Blue are possibilities. I like that brighter blue too, but it is not available on Advance.
Old 11-06-2020, 12:51 PM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
New 2021 TLX AWD A-Spec owner here! I got mine in white with the red/black interior.

Is there a 2021 TLX owner's thread or did I completely miss it?
The following users liked this post:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (11-07-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 07:14 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
New 2021 TLX AWD A-Spec owner here! I got mine in white with the red/black interior.

You should start one!
ELIN (11-07-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 08:17 AM
Cruisin'

How were you able to get an A spec? I thought they weren’t being released until early next year ?
Old 11-07-2020, 08:48 AM
Drifting

How were you able to get an A spec? I thought they weren’t being released until early next year ?
A-Spec is a turbo 4 cyl. just like yours. You must be thinking of the turbo 6 Type S coming out early 2021.

Check out my new owner's thread here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...thread-990844/
Old 11-19-2020, 08:20 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
It's on the MDX also. I've had all the other Acura pearls...but, the Platinum White is VERY nice. It should be for the extra $500 it costs. LOL...
Old 11-21-2020, 11:48 AM
dio
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
Picked mine up yesterday from Rick Case, White with Red interior Aspec. Great car, beautifully laid out interior and plenty of power for mine needs, oh and I got about 4K in discounts and two years of maintenance on them.
The following 3 users liked this post by dio:
a35tl (11-21-2020), CheeseyPoofs McNut (11-21-2020), ELIN (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 01:49 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by dio
Picked mine up yesterday from Rick Case, White with Red interior Aspec. Great car, beautifully laid out interior and plenty of power for mine needs, oh and I got about 4K in discounts and two years of maintenance on them.
4K in discounts on a 2021? That's nice. I didn't think they would be negotiating much until next year.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:59 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
4K in discounts on a 2021? That's nice. I didn't think they would be negotiating much until next year.
I got a similar deal about 3 weeks ago though I only got the first oil change free.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:39 AM
Cruisin'

I love how you can change the interior light scheme. I wish they had it where it only changed the color in Individual mode. It would still be fun to have the car turn to the red color when you change to sport mode.

Love my ride. I noticed I have to pay attention when on the highway. I sometimes don’t realize how fast I’m going. I was at 105 one day and was like woah. Don’t think I ever took my RDX that fast!

I do wish I waited and got the AWD version though. The FWD doesn’t stick as well in the rain. So much for being impatient to get the car!
The following 2 users liked this post by moviechick:
a35tl (11-22-2020), ELIN (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 08:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 536 Likes on 345 Posts
I love how you can change the interior light scheme. I wish they had it where it only changed the color in Individual mode. It would still be fun to have the car turn to the red color when you change to sport mode.

Love my ride. I noticed I have to pay attention when on the highway. I sometimes don’t realize how fast I’m going. I was at 105 one day and was like woah. Don’t think I ever took my RDX that fast!

I do wish I waited and got the AWD version though. The FWD doesn’t stick as well in the rain. So much for being impatient to get the car!
For the most part that's probably the tires. I'm sure spending more money on tires is not too appealing after just buying the car but something to keep in mind.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:28 PM
Drifting

Living in the NE, it's been quite some time since my wife and I didn't have AWD!

Are you making much use of the ELS system? I've been rocking in the car and look forward to my commute!
Old 11-22-2020, 06:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I test drove an A-Spec the weekend of release. It’s really not a bad car. I enjoyed the power delivery but found the transmission slow to respond to requests for downshift. I am awaiting the Type S still, but I can’t say I LOVE the TLX as it is now. I fell in love with my manual 2.0T Accord Sport on the test drive, immediately dubbing it “Dad Type R”. My family loves the HUGE rear seats in the Accord. I personally do not agree with the increase in the size of the TLX without commensurate change in the size in the rear seats. They are just as tight as in the first TLX. That, and the trim packaging really ticks me off. If they are really going to offer the Type S without Advance features, and make us pay significantly more than an Advance, the value for money just isn’t there for me. Luckily, “Dad Type R” is serving me well and I’ll probably end up awaiting a PMC Edition TLX combining Type S and Advance features. Now THAT I would love.

We’ll see what happens in the spring. Maybe the Type S’ performance will wow me and I’ll spend the money for it. But for now, the regular TLX doesn’t compel me to get rid of my Accord, and its manual transmission. I do not miss the luxury features of the TLX as much as I thought after a year in the Accord, but driving feel and experience are more important to me than luxury.

To be honest, if I were going to buy a luxury sedan right now, I’d be buying a used RLX Sport Hybrid, which is faster, has more power, similar-better fuel economy, has a bigger rear seat, has better build quality, and is a steal on the used market. I’d just have to adjust to life without Apple Car Play, which for the life of me I don’t understand how Acura didn’t add to that car.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:10 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I test drove an A-Spec the weekend of release. It’s really not a bad car. I enjoyed the power delivery but found the transmission slow to respond to requests for downshift. I am awaiting the Type S still, but I can’t say I LOVE the TLX as it is now. I fell in love with my manual 2.0T Accord Sport on the test drive, immediately dubbing it “Dad Type R”. My family loves the HUGE rear seats in the Accord. I personally do not agree with the increase in the size of the TLX without commensurate change in the size in the rear seats. They are just as tight as in the first TLX. That, and the trim packaging really ticks me off. If they are really going to offer the Type S without Advance features, and make us pay significantly more than an Advance, the value for money just isn’t there for me. Luckily, “Dad Type R” is serving me well and I’ll probably end up awaiting a PMC Edition TLX combining Type S and Advance features. Now THAT I would love.

We’ll see what happens in the spring. Maybe the Type S’ performance will wow me and I’ll spend the money for it. But for now, the regular TLX doesn’t compel me to get rid of my Accord, and its manual transmission. I do not miss the luxury features of the TLX as much as I thought after a year in the Accord, but driving feel and experience are more important to me than luxury.

To be honest, if I were going to buy a luxury sedan right now, I’d be buying a used RLX Sport Hybrid, which is faster, has more power, similar-better fuel economy, has a bigger rear seat, has better build quality, and is a steal on the used market. I’d just have to adjust to life without Apple Car Play, which for the life of me I don’t understand how Acura didn’t add to that car.
If you don’t like the car now, Type S won’t change your mind (especially if the mid 50k range I’m anticipating comes true).
Old 11-22-2020, 07:30 PM
Senior Moderator

If you don’t like the car now, Type S won’t change your mind (especially if the mid 50k range I’m anticipating comes true).
It’s not that I don’t like the new TLX, I do. I just don’t LOVE it in its current form. I had a 1G TLX A-Spec which was a great cat other than the 9AT, which was really not meant for a car with sporting pretensions, and the new TLX is, honestly better in almost every way other than what I mentioned above. I’m still hoping that the anticipated changes for Type S make for a good sport sedan. Again, we’ll see in the spring.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:38 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by neuronbob
It’s not that I don’t like the new TLX, I do. I just don’t LOVE it in its current form. I had a 1G TLX A-Spec which was a great cat other than the 9AT, which was really not meant for a car with sporting pretensions, and the new TLX is, honestly better in almost every way other than what I mentioned above. I’m still hoping that the anticipated changes for Type S make for a good sport sedan. Again, we’ll see in the spring.
Got it! I do think you would have to wait for a PMC edition to get those Advance features. This may run a PMC Type S closer to $60k.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:06 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ESHBG
For the most part that's probably the tires. I'm sure spending more money on tires is not too appealing after just buying the car but something to keep in mind.
The tires on them now are $320 a piece which is insane. I just have to adjust my driving. Lol.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:08 AM
Cruisin'

Living in the NE, it's been quite some time since my wife and I didn't have AWD!

Are you making much use of the ELS system? I've been rocking in the car and look forward to my commute!
I live in Pittsburgh but winter if Florida (except this year). So the AWD wasn’t a big issue for me. They didn’t have it in stock and I was impatient. Will remember next time! Just for the rain factor. My AWD RDX did better in slippery situations as you got more grab when leaving lights and stuff.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:40 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
The tires on them now are $320 a piece which is insane. I just have to adjust my driving. Lol.
First think I did when I bought my 2019 RDX was changing the tires. I ended up making money in that process (buying new tires, selling oem tires, mount and balance included). Just need to find the right deal.

People for some reason are willing to pay top dollars for oem tires lol...possibly because the dealer charges even more money for a set of OEM tires.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:27 PM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
Thumbs up I LOVE my new TLX SH-AWD ASPEC!

There, I've said it; this is the 8th Acura, I've leased since 1998
It's by far the BEST of the lot
I'm getting too old for all the technology; but that's what manuals are for
What a GREAT car; every conceivable option; plenty of power; great ELS stereo; handles like a dream; quiet, & rides smooth
For what I'm paying, it's a STEAL
Best of all, it's an Acura; safe, & reliable
Stop complaining, & drive one; you'll be amazed, what a bargain it is
The following 5 users liked this post by CPR:
a35tl (11-29-2020), DLM1213 (11-29-2020), ELIN (11-28-2020), neuronbob (11-29-2020), TX_BB (05-31-2021)
Old 11-29-2020, 11:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CPR
There, I've said it; this is the 8th Acura, I've leased since 1998
It's by far the BEST of the lot
I'm getting too old for all the technology; but that's what manuals are for
What a GREAT car; every conceivable option; plenty of power; great ELS stereo; handles like a dream; quiet, & rides smooth
For what I'm paying, it's a STEAL
Best of all, it's an Acura; safe, & reliable
Stop complaining, & drive one; you'll be amazed, what a bargain it is
That is a meaningful opinion to me, given the number of Acuras you’ve owned. How would you compare it to the 1G TLX? IIRC, you had an A-Spec.
Old 11-29-2020, 03:31 PM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
No comparison; power, handling, transmission, ELS, & all the extra tech
Seats, leather quality; only zonk is back seat passenger room
I'm paying EXACTLY the same, for my new ASPEC, as I paid for my 2018
NO BRAINER!
My brother has a 911 Turbo; he drove the ASPEC & was amazed
at what you get for $47,000
ELIN (11-29-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 03:44 PM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by CPR
No comparison; power, handling, transmission, ELS, & all the extra tech
Seats, leather quality; only zonk is back seat passenger room
I'm paying EXACTLY the same, for my new ASPEC, as I paid for my 2018
NO BRAINER!
My brother has a 911 Turbo; he drove the ASPEC & was amazed
at what you get for $47,000
There's a lot of subjectivity to each person's personal experience. My experience comes via an extended drive in the RDX, and I would never trade my V6 ASpec for a 2.0T TLX. In my opinion, the engine/transmission combo in the 2G is not an improvement. Still issues with slow shifting, as well as lag. That being said, I'm glad you're happy with you new ride.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:23 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Carnage719
There's a lot of subjectivity to each person's personal experience. My experience comes via an extended drive in the RDX, and I would never trade my V6 ASpec for a 2.0T TLX. In my opinion, the engine/transmission combo in the 2G is not an improvement. Still issues with slow shifting, as well as lag. That being said, I'm glad you're happy with you new ride.
Considering the RDX was clocked at 6.6 sec and at least one publication had the TLX at 5.9 sec, I'd say those are pretty fair numbers.

For me, this 6 sec range is the sweet spot for the price paid. I could have easily gotten a Tesla Model 3 with instant torque but that comes with additional investment at the house and it looks like a non-descript blob.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Considering the RDX was clocked at 6.6 sec and at least one publication had the TLX at 5.9 sec, I'd say those are pretty fair numbers.

For me, this 6 sec range is the sweet spot for the price paid. I could have easily gotten a Tesla Model 3 with instant torque but that comes with additional investment at the house and it looks like a non-descript blob.
Would suggest always use the same magazine for test numbers as their procedures may differ. C&D beats the crap out of the cars to get the best possible numbers so I use them. Over the years going back into the early '60's have not seen many drivers with pure stock cars & tires beat the C&D numbers in real life. It happens but not often.

That said a thing to remember is C&D did the fake Ferrari GTO vs Pontiac GTO road test. Despite the cover picture the cars were never ever on the same track. Additionally the Pontic was a ringer built by Royal Oak in Michigan. In addition to the Royal Oak BobCat kit that is alleged I used in my '66 C/S GTO they also swapped in a 421 CI engine from a full size car to replace the stock 389CI engine. A few passes with a grinder on a few bumps in the block & there is no way to visually tell a 389 from a 421.

So what you read ain't necessarily true. Should you doubt me here is the Confession.

GTO vs GTO Ringer truth

My 1966 GTO Ram Air Tri-Power 4MT 3:70 Posi. Alleged Royal Oak BobCat package. No A/C P/B P/S.
Ran C/S at Englishtown Raceway Park NJ & surfed in the Seaside Heights area of the Jersey Shore.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-29-2020 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts

So far the only publication I’ve seen with a 5.9s is C&D. Everyone else (include acceleration runs on Youtube) are at least 6.4s.

I’d be curious if an owner can do a few runs themselves to see if they can get 5.9s. I’m very skeptical of that number given that this is the same powertrain in the RDX and it weighs the same. Knocking off 0.7s is no small feat.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:31 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by fiatlux
So far the only publication I’ve seen with a 5.9s is C&D. Everyone else (include acceleration runs on Youtube) are at least 6.4s.

I’d be curious if an owner can do a few runs themselves to see if they can get 5.9s. I’m very skeptical of that number given that this is the same powertrain in the RDX and it weighs the same. Knocking off 0.7s is no small feat.
If you allow 6.4 to be the upper bound and 5.9 to be the lower bound, it's going to be ~6.15 sec. My whole point all along is that it is not a 7 second car as reported by the other publication.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:33 PM
Safety Car

If you allow 6.4 to be the upper bound and 5.9 to be the lower bound, it's going to be ~6.15 sec. My whole point all along is that it is not a 7 second car as reported by the other publication.
I don't think it works that way...If you're going to wipe out the 7s as an outlier, you should wipe out 5.9s as an outlier as well. Real number is probably right around 6.4s as multiple other sources have independently gotten that result. From my test drives, mid-6's feel about right unless it launches exceedingly well (which I doubt since it doesn't have launch control).
pyrodan007 (11-29-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 05:38 PM
Drifting

I don't think it works that way...If you're going to wipe out the 7s as an outlier, you should wipe out 5.9s as an outlier as well. Real number is probably right around 6.4s as multiple other sources have independently gotten that result. From my test drives, mid-6's feel about right unless it launches exceedingly well (which I doubt since it doesn't have launch control).
Ok, I was able to cut through confusion:

First reported as 7 sec:
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/acur...k-test-review/

A little later by same publication as 6.5 sec:
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/acura/tlx/

Can we just call it at 6.5 and not 7 sec and move on with our lives?

You put the car in Sport mode when test driving? Isn't that a form of launch control?

Last edited by ELIN; 11-29-2020 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:08 PM
Safety Car

Ok, I was able to cut through confusion:

First reported as 7 sec:
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/acur...k-test-review/

A little later by same publication as 6.5 sec:
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/acura/tlx/

Can we just call it at 6.5 and not 7 sec and move on with our lives?

You put the car in Sport mode when test driving? Isn't that a form of launch control?
Launch Control is the ability to build up the revs/boost and some more advanced traction control logic to maximize acceleration from a dead stop. Sport Mode doesn’t do that. You can brake torque it a bit, but it’s a crude replacement to build up boost and is suboptimal compared to true LC.

Now, I’ll be the first person here to say that 0-60 isn’t a useful metric for real world performance, and 5-60 is a much better mark, but to call the TLX a 5 second car is suspect at best.

Last edited by fiatlux; 11-29-2020 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:17 PM
Drifting

Launch Control is the ability to build up the revs/boost and some more advanced traction control logic to maximize acceleration from a dead stop. Sport Mode doesn’t do that. You can brake torque it a bit, but it’s a crude replacement to build up boost and is suboptimal compared to true LC.

Now, I’ll be the first person here to say that 0-60 isn’t a useful metric for real world performance, and 5-60 is a much better mark, but to call the TLX a 5 second car is suspect at best.
Thanks for the launch control explanation. I know there's a little animation in the dash that shows exactly how much power goes to each wheel but if any Acura had launch control, it's probably the NSX.

As I said before, 6 sec is fine with me. If that makes me less prone to engage in road rage, I'm fine with that!

Quick Reply: Does anyone LOVE the new TLX?