WTF?? :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2000, 06:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Post WTF?? :(

I figured now that I got my inspire tails, I wanted to put on my I N S P I R E in place of the A C U R A ..... I started with the 3.2TL on the right side....took a blow dryer and heated the area for a minute or so, then took some dental floss so slide if out.....along came off the F@#king clearcoat!!!!!!!!!! Now I'm afraid to take off the A C U R A because i know the inspire won't line up in te same place as the acura letters.... I had my trunk repainted once before to blend in the side of the car form the accident(their choice, not mine) could it be such a difficulty because it's not original paint with the original adhesive the factory used for the emblem? HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP! I wanna replace the letters already and am afraid to!
Ed

------------------
'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 11-04-2000, 06:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major bummer, probably should just put the 3.2TL emblem back on and leave it as-is.

------------------
'01 WDP TL
Momo shift, wing, tint, Whistler 6-band.
'88 White RX-7 Convertible
BBS, Kenwood 'Flip-face,' Fosgate Fanatic 4.3, Fosgate 8", Boston Acoustics.
Old 11-04-2000, 06:29 PM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
If they didn't let the clear coat dry completely before putting the emblem on, then yes, that's what happened. I bet you the same thing will happen with the ACURA letters too. You should just put the 3.2TL back on.

------------------
Honda-Acura.net TL Forum Moderator.

1999 Silver with factory body kit, spoiler and burlwood instrument cluster and shift knob. Joshua Tree Wood dash kit. Hella air horns. Tint all around. Razo competition pedals. MOMO Sport 18"X7.5" with 225/40ZR Pirelli P7000SS. Weapon-R intake. Comptech springs, exhaust and headers. Inspire Tailights, homemade ram-air and Polarg M-12 front turn signals. Comptech front and rear sway bar. Axxis Metal Master front and rear pads.

My AcuraTL Homepage

Old 11-04-2000, 06:39 PM

That really sucks bro. The only thing I can think of besides the new paint job is that you heated the surface up too much! You have to be careful how long you heat the paint, I learned the hard way w/ my old Integra emblems. I saw the paint liquify before my eyes - that is bad!! Try one letter w/ little heat. Good luck & BE CAREFUL!!!

------------------
2000 satin silver metallic non-navi w/
stock kit & spoiler,
18" Enkei's wrapped in 225/40 Yoko Paradas,
carbon fiber dash w/ brushed aluminum paneling,
BMW E-46 clear sidemarkers, Inspire tails,
BroSpeed 4" tips and PIAA 1700x fogs.
Custom Honda grill, rear H & INSPIRE emblems.
En route from the Pacific: The Blaze Grill!!
Platinum's whip.
Old 11-04-2000, 07:16 PM
Wow only on my 2nd tranny

Lightbulb

This worked for me - no heat gun, no floss no paint damage. (This may not apply to your repainted trunk, only to relatively new stock trunks)

1). Spray a little WD-40 around the letters so the stickum soaks it up. Use a paper towell to prevent and clean up any excess WD-40 rather than leaving it sit.

2). Use a small plastic spatula from the kitchen (the ones for stirring in a mixing bowl) to GENTLY pry the letters up. By applying minimal pressure you sort of work the spatula back and forth sliding it under the letters.

3). If you need to, use a little more WD-40, paper towells, the spatula or finger nails to get any remnants.

4). Wash area with some Dawn detergent then rewax with what ever you use.

5) Ask somebody who knows, whether to apply new emblems before or after rewaxing - my guess would be before, though.

Old 11-05-2000, 12:10 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Shoofin'TL:
I figured now that I got my inspire tails, I wanted to put on my I N S P I R E in place of the A C U R A ..... I started with the 3.2TL on the right side....took a blow dryer and heated the area for a minute or so, then took some dental floss so slide if out.....along came off the F@#king clearcoat!!!!!!!!!! Now I'm afraid to take off the A C U R A because i know the inspire won't line up in te same place as the acura letters.... I had my trunk repainted once before to blend in the side of the car form the accident(their choice, not mine) could it be such a difficulty because it's not original paint with the original adhesive the factory used for the emblem? HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP! I wanna replace the letters already and am afraid to!
Ed

Dude , do we really need the hair-dryer to do that shit ? What I need to peel the ACURA letters emblems and the 3.2 TL emblem was just 5 minutes of time and a string of dental floss. And I didn't find any remnants of the glue or scratches , or maybe it's just my standard too low , but I don't think it's something that u need heat to do it...
Old 11-05-2000, 12:34 AM
Burning Brakes

my dealer in santa monica sprayed some stuff on it and it desolved the adhesive. came off easily. no big trick.
Old 11-05-2000, 02:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Well, I put back the 3.2TL after it happened with some 3m double stick tape, so it's back on for now....my options for now is to take the emblem off again and put some sort of a sticker to cover it up, hoping of course I don't have the same problem with the letters on the center of the trunk.. I dunno yet...I think I'll take it to a body shop to do, this way if the paint peels off, they are responsible, and I get a free repainted trunk! I wish i could really smile about it..I'm quite upset.........
Ed

------------------
'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element

Pics of my TL
Old 11-05-2000, 05:24 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well.... i would put the acura-tl.com stickers on if it ever comes out , over htat 3.2tl spot...... then... use that wd-40 trick.... to take off the A C U R A .. worked very well from my exprience on my accord

------------------
Bad ass TL...but...
Cant afford Mods.....
Old 11-05-2000, 04:26 PM
Intermediate

ShoofinTL
Where did u get ur INSPIRE letters? did u get it from tim or somewhere else? cuz i also wanted those letters but tim doesn't doesn't carry them no more.
Old 11-05-2000, 05:29 PM
Senior Moderator

I got a set from Tim's last batch..
Ed

------------------

Pics of my TL
Old 11-05-2000, 05:33 PM
Intermediate

Angry

does any one know where else i can get these? i want them really bad but...
Old 11-05-2000, 06:18 PM
Safety Car

I used a balisong (butterfly knife) to take off my 3.2TL emblem. No scratches.