What is the purpose of the dot matrix on the windows?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 01:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the purpose of the dot matrix on the windows?

Okay, I know our cars aren't the only ones that have it, but it seems like the TLs have more of the black "dot matrix" material on the back window, and the first I've ever seen on the front windshield. What is its real function? If it was for tinting reasons, it seems like they'd just factory tint the glass (like the 4" strip along the top of edge of almost every windshield made today). As it is, it's a pain to try and tint over. And why do we have it on the front windshield near the mirror, in the already tinted region?

I'm curious because (a) I'm curious like that, and (b) I think I'm going to have to replace my windshield soon and need to know if I should be getting one with the dot matrix applique.
Old 01-15-2002, 02:43 PM
Drifting

It's done mainly for cosmetic and economic reasons.

The dot matrix areas hide the seams between the glass and the body so you can't see the rubber seals.

They provide a tint without having to tint the glass itself (printing a dot matrix on the glass is much cheaper than tinting the glass like the front windshield).

They also block light behind the rearview mirror, since the sun visors don't cover that area.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:29 PM
Banned

Originally posted by daverman
It's done mainly for cosmetic and economic reasons.

The dot matrix areas hide the seams between the glass and the body so you can't see the rubber seals.

They provide a tint without having to tint the glass itself (printing a dot matrix on the glass is much cheaper than tinting the glass like the front windshield).

They also block light behind the rearview mirror, since the sun visors don't cover that area.
Well, 88 views so far and only one response, so I guess I'm not the only one who doesn't know.

I partially buy your theory, except that my old '87 Camaro had a full glass hatch with only a little section of metal for the trunk lid. The glass never touched the body on the sides because the glass *was* the hatch. The whole piece of glass was trimmed out in some typical GM white chrome to cover the glass edge, but then there was about 1 inch of the dot matrix all the way around the edge. That's not covering up the body/glass seam at all.

Do you really think it's that much cheaper to do the dot matrix than tinting it? I've never seen a car with as much of it as our TLs' rear window has. Besides, look at some of the new SUVs with the factory limousine tinted glass in the back. They have the complete window factory tinted *and* have the dot matrix. It's just harder to see because the window is so black.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:33 PM
Drifting

I guess the dot matrix on your Camaro was purely cosmetic, then. Maybe the dot matrix look "softens" the edges on the windows, and gives the car a more refined look compared to a "hard" glass edge against a metal body.

I know what you mean about Honda's obsession with the dot matrix. There seems to be a lot of it on Accords and TLs. I dunno, maybe it's just their style.

About tint: I'm not talking about tinting the whole pane of glass; I'm talking about the graduated tint that you find on the windshield. That's got to be an expensive process.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:43 PM

It is used to block unsightly areas and block the sun. Helps protect the material around the glass and also the rubber. I'm sure they throw a little in for effect as well.

I asked this question many years ago and found an answer in a magazine.

Hammerton
Old 01-16-2002, 12:57 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think the rear matrix is for shade just like the matrix in front of the rear view mirror. other makers either extend the side visors to cover this spot or they add a mini visor there. there i said it!

btw, this is the first time i have seen this post.
Old 01-16-2002, 02:22 PM
Pro

The 2000 Maximas have the dot matrix on the rear glass/(rear windshield?) It's mainly there to protect/shade the rear passengers from the sun, in case your car's windows aren't tinted. It did a good job I think.
Old 01-16-2002, 04:02 PM
Ain't No Other...

one reason they need that "primer type" surface is so that the urethane that bonds the glass to the body structure of the car can adhere well, glass is very smooth and thus would not bond to the urethane well, thats why windshields and rear windows have that, but the dot matrix is prolly to make the edge of that black part fade in, instead of having that black part and suddenly glass, smooth transition, but it also provide some sun protection, but the UV rays will still get through the spaces inbetween the dots, so not really polarized UV protection thingy...I think thats right...because when they were changing my windshield, the guys put some alcohol on the black part where it touches the urethane compound...
Old 01-16-2002, 07:53 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
This is a good post, and I too have wondered what those dots are for. My TL has many more of them than my Accord, which leads me to believe they are tint related. However I am not convinced anyone who has posted thus far actually knows what there for.
Old 01-16-2002, 08:10 PM
Racer

I think the dot matrix is a nice touch. i find it very useful in the front where the visor cant reach over the rear voew mirror.