Transmission Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 09:59 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Replacement

Looking at buying an 03 TL with a bad transmission. I've found a few replacements around and was wondering when replacing the transmission is it necessary to take the car to the dealer for re-programming/relearning?

Also, what is the typical cost to just have the transmission rebuilt?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:21 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by sonicc
Looking at buying an 03 TL with a bad transmission. I've found a few replacements around and was wondering when replacing the transmission is it necessary to take the car to the dealer for re-programming/relearning?

Also, what is the typical cost to just have the transmission rebuilt?

Thanks in advance.
Disclaimer; I am a manual transmission bigot and haven't even so much as driven a 2G TL. With that said, my understanding is there is no relearning/reprogramming necessary.

Regarding the transmission fix, you have a couple of options:
  • Have the existing tranny rebuilt; as I understand it, there are several overhaul kits out there which range from about as robust as the factory setup (i.e. not robust at all), to reasonably robust.
  • Buy an operational transmission from another 2G TL (or CL if I am not mistaken).
  • Buy an 2006-2007 Accord V6 (aka. AV6) transmission; this transmission is a plug in replacement for the 2G TL unit, but internally upgraded and much more robust.
The following users liked this post:
sonicc (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 11:50 AM
10th Gear

My plan is to just go with a replacement from another 2G TL, or possibly having the current one rebuilt depending on the price.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,585 Likes on 6,631 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...n-swap-905115/

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...hrome&ie=UTF-8

The AV6 is a much better solution if you want to keep the car long term. Tried and true method
sonicc (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 11:52 AM
Latent car nut

My plan is to just go with a replacement from another 2G TL, or possibly having the current one rebuilt depending on the price.
Fetching one from an Accord V6 model might actually cost less. Why? There were a heck of a lot more of them made than of the 2G TL. I've read on this board some folks have sourced low(ish) mileage used AV6 transmissions for as little as $500; buy it, slap in in, and go.
sonicc (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 12:10 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
I don't know why anyone would even consider another TL trans when the Accord/Odyssey option is plug and play, easier to find, usually cheaper and has no known issues. Saying "AV6 swap" scares people because they assume its all kinds of custom work and wiring when in fact, it's identical, literally plug and play. Here's a good analogy. You have a sexy set of identical twins in front of you and can only choose to take one home, one has AIDS and the other doesn't, which would you choose?
sonicc (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 12:48 PM
10th Gear

I've been reading about the AV6 swap, but I am not planning on keeping the car for very long so to me it doesn't seem worth it. If I was keeping the car, I would most likely go with a manual 6 swap from a CL.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Kris9884
I don't know why anyone would even consider another TL trans when the Accord/Odyssey option is plug and play, easier to find, usually cheaper and has no known issues. Saying "AV6 swap" scares people because they assume its all kinds of custom work and wiring when in fact, it's identical, literally plug and play. Here's a good analogy. You have a sexy set of identical twins in front of you and can only choose to take one home, one has AIDS and the other doesn't, which would you choose?

I like to live my life on the edge
Old 03-07-2018, 01:12 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
I like to live my life on the edge
your avi though...

Old 03-07-2018, 01:45 PM
Latent car nut

I've been reading about the AV6 swap, but I am not planning on keeping the car for very long so to me it doesn't seem worth it. If I was keeping the car, I would most likely go with a manual 6 swap from a CL.
The difference is the AV6 swap is easy to do, pull the old tranny, put in the new one. The 6MT swap is a beast and can cost a lot of money.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:45 PM
Senior Moderator

I'd urge you to look into the AV6 as well..
Old 03-07-2018, 06:18 PM
10th Gear

Any ideas what it typically costs to have the transmission rebuilt?
Old 03-08-2018, 11:50 AM
Instructor

More than the AV6 swap, don't do it.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
I'm guessing between $3,000 - $3500. Not worth it.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
FWIW" I recently took a friends 2003 TLS to a Quality local transmission shop, and requested an estimate to repair the failing transmission. After requesting an estimate to install an AV6 transmission, the shop advised, they would not recommend, nor warranty the AV6 swap! I accepted their reluctance to do the swap, and presented them with the detailed instructions, and positive results, as listed on this forum. THEY WERE NOT IMPRESSED, nor persuaded, that the swap was a good idea, nor would they do it. The shop INSISTED, they were very familiar with the 2G TL failure issues, and could rebuild the 2G transmission with redesigned components, which would make it considerably more durable than the original!!! Cost of the rebuild, of course depends on the condition of the case, and all internal parts, with most rebuilds averaging $3200.00, according to them. My experience is, that even if you paid top dollar for a low mileage AV6 transmission, around $900.00, and an additional $600.00 for installation, the end result, would be a far superior transmission, for less than Half The Cost, of a rebuild. Please note: the cost benefit of the AV6 is made, under the assumption that the Donor transmission is warrantied, of high quality, and serviceable! Should you, by chance, stumble on a bad AV6, which is a remote possibility, both your swap costs, and time involved would be increased.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by frankjnjr
FWIW" I recently took a friends 2003 TLS to a Quality local transmission shop, and requested an estimate to repair the failing transmission. After requesting an estimate to install an AV6 transmission, the shop advised, they would not recommend, nor warranty the AV6 swap! I accepted their reluctance to do the swap, and presented them with the detailed instructions, and positive results, as listed on this forum. THEY WERE NOT IMPRESSED, nor persuaded, that the swap was a good idea, nor would they do it. The shop INSISTED, they were very familiar with the 2G TL failure issues, and could rebuild the 2G transmission with redesigned components, which would make it considerably more durable than the original!!! Cost of the rebuild, of course depends on the condition of the case, and all internal parts, with most rebuilds averaging $3200.00, according to them. My experience is, that even if you paid top dollar for a low mileage AV6 transmission, around $900.00, and an additional $600.00 for installation, the end result, would be a far superior transmission, for less than Half The Cost, of a rebuild. Please note: the cost benefit of the AV6 is made, under the assumption that the Donor transmission is warrantied, of high quality, and serviceable! Should you, by chance, stumble on a bad AV6, which is a remote possibility, both your swap costs, and time involved would be increased.
Well sounds like the shop is just trying to look out for its best interest ($$$) versus yours whilst hiding under the veil of "oh it's DANGEROUS and incompatible"
Old 03-09-2018, 12:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by frankjnjr
Why throw yourself under the bus? ITS IDENTICAL. Bring your Accord trans and drop it off as the replacement without even mentioning its from a different car, they'll never know. Advise them to use all of the accessories from the old one or, just remove all of the ones from the Accord trans so they HAVE to without you saying anything??? Its not difficult, step outside of the box a bit. Besides, if the shop needs all of this forum proof and a diy to get the swap done, definitely take your business elsewhere anyway.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:51 PM
10th Gear

You guys are killing me

While it makes sense if you're keeping the car to put in a better transmission, it is also more work compared to swapping in a working TL transmission. I know some of you are saying it's plug and play, but it's not...putting in a TL transmission is plug and play. Putting in AV6 transmission is plug - do some extra swapping - play
Old 03-09-2018, 02:02 PM
Senior Moderator

ehh it's the person that is buying your car after that will deal with that problem

we gave you the best solution, you're welcome to not take it
Old 03-09-2018, 02:18 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
we gave you the best solution, you're welcome to not take it
you did - and thank you - AV6 swap is not completely out of question, but a preference would be on a low mileage TL transmission or rebuild if it's cheap enough. Failing that, AV6 swap time!
Old 03-09-2018, 06:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Why throw yourself under the bus? ITS IDENTICAL. Bring your Accord trans and drop it off as the replacement without even mentioning its from a different car, they'll never know. Advise them to use all of the accessories from the old one or, just remove all of the ones from the Accord trans so they HAVE to without you saying anything??? Its not difficult, step outside of the box a bit. Besides, if the shop needs all of this forum proof and a diy to get the swap done, definitely take your business elsewhere anyway.
Good points. However, normally, I do all my own work, and try to be up front, when it is necessary to have someone work on one of my cars.. Although the outward appearance of the AV6 may be identical to the 2G, the transmission identification plate, would be a certain tell! In my opinion, ANY shop, that failed to verify the identification of the transmission they are installing, would be doing a dis-service to both themselves, and their customer! Thank you for your input.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:45 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
You guys are killing me

While it makes sense if you're keeping the car to put in a better transmission, it is also more work compared to swapping in a working TL transmission. I know some of you are saying it's plug and play, but it's not...putting in a TL transmission is plug and play. Putting in AV6 transmission is plug - do some extra swapping - play
True, I think I spent three hours swapping parts and that's mostly due to the gasket for the passage body being extremely stuck on requiring a lot of clean up, and I moved over absolutely every bracket bolted to the tranny because they all have clips for the wiring harness that differ (even the dipstick tube).
Old 03-11-2018, 04:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperGreg
True, I think I spent three hours swapping parts and that's mostly due to the gasket for the passage body being extremely stuck on requiring a lot of clean up, and I moved over absolutely every bracket bolted to the tranny because they all have clips for the wiring harness that differ (even the dipstick tube).
In my twisted view, that 3 hrs is time well spent and merely a pittance in the grand scheme of things
Old 03-11-2018, 06:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by iggy
in my twisted view, that 3 hrs is time well spent and merely a pittance in the grand scheme of things
ditto