Replacing door handle / sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 05:25 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Replacing door handle / sensor

My driver side door handle sensor works fine on sunny - warm days, but if it rains or snows, 50% of the time the door won't lock without using the key fob. The dealer will gladly replace the door handle but if they are replacing an intermittent sensor with another intermittent sensor then why bother?

Has anyone replaced the handle for the above reason with favorable results? Thanks!
Old 12-27-2007, 05:56 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Replaced both handles already and my car is now in for a second round replacement - failure usually occurs when wet. It may be a design flaw. Don't know what we can do about it. Once I'm out of warranty, I may not want to keep replacing it unless Acura agrees it is a flaw and decides to eat the cost.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:00 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Had the driver's door replaced...no problems since.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:52 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
It does state in the owner's manual that the touch sensors may not operate when the vehicle is wet or in a hard rain.

If they do not work when dried out, there must be an issue with the sensor and as a few others have reported, they were replaced.

I've only had it happen once, when it was rainy for several days. Moisture must have built up in the handle. But after drying out, it has been fine.

Anyone find issues with snow or ice build up? I cannot comment on the 'blizzard test'.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I had the problem once. The driver door handle was replaced and that took care of the problem for awhile. After several visit to the laser wash, the handle is now dead again. Since the car is a lease I am not going to have it replaced again. I think there is a design flaw with the handle. All Acura is going to do is put the same bad designed handle on the car again, so what is the point? My 06 Miata is a much better design. I just shut the door and walk away with the key in my pocket, and the doors lock themselves. The lights flash to confirm the doors are locked. I agree that it must be an issue with moisture getting inside the sensor. I am surprised there has not been a TSB issued for this problem. I feel the problem has to be more widespread then what is reported here.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:54 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Like Tampa, it only happened to me once. I was in a driving thunderstorm and it took 3 or 4 attempts to get the handle to respond to my touch. Other then that, it's been fine even in a "normal" rain.

You can activate the system with gloves on, so, it must be a simple pressure sensor . You'd think that wouldn't be affected by moisture. That makes me suspect it IS a design flaw that allows moisture to get into the mechanism. For some reason it affects some people more then others. I'm guessing of course.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:18 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Like Tampa, it only happened to me once. I was in a driving thunderstorm and it took 3 or 4 attempts to get the handle to respond to my touch. Other then that, it's been fine even in a "normal" rain.

You can activate the system with gloves on, so, it must be a simple pressure sensor . You'd think that wouldn't be affected by moisture. That makes me suspect it IS a design flaw that allows moisture to get into the mechanism. For some reason it affects some people more then others. I'm guessing of course.

I'm only guessing, but I think it's a low level proximity switch that is tied into the computer logic because it has to also recognize the key. Maybe the moisture is enough to diffuse the signal to the point where the sensor won't register.
Bottom line, it has to be a design flaw.....maybe they scrimped on the sensor.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:25 AM
Go Big Blue!

That's true, maybe it's the proximity transponder that is shorting out causing it to not recognize that you are standing there with a key in your pocket. I was thinking it was the other half of the system that is responsible for recognizing your hand on the door handle. I suppose it could be either one. Regardless, it shouldn't be happening.

The fact that it happens more to some people makes me want to suggest that people having the issue keep getting it replaced. Don't give up trying.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This just started being an intermitent problem with my 07 RL. I hadn't associated it to wet weather, but I will keep this in mind if and when it fails again. I have noticed that repeating the touch of the sensor has worked in my case but only about 50% of the time on the first touch.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
My driver door handle is starting to act up. I First thought it was the cold but we've had some warm days and it still doesn't lokc the car very time (unlocing is no problem). I had the MDX in yesterday and mentioned it to my service rep. I told him I'd have it looked at when I bring it in for the steering recall at the next oil change (not for a while as I'm at 80% right now). I have no doubt they'll replace it.

LL
Old 12-31-2007, 11:40 AM
Pro

The handle has not been been working at all for the past few days.
This morning I brought the car in for the recall fix, and told them to replace the door handle since they had it in stock. Note: The only reason they had it in stock is because initially they ordered the passenger side handle and had to re-order the drivers side and have since held onto it.

Just picked up the car a few minutes ago and have tested the handle out a few times and it is working like it's supposed to.

P.S. They gave me a new RDX for a loaner and I was surprised at how fast it accelerates! Too bad it was snowing and the roads were a mess or I would have given it a good test drive.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
My door handle was not working at all for several days after being out in the rain last week. Now it's working fine again, without any intervention on my part. I vote for "design flaw" and don't plan to get a replacement. This is the second time it's happened to me, and the first time was also during winter and also after exposure to rain.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:34 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by neuronbob
My door handle was not working at all for several days after being out in the rain last week. Now it's working fine again, without any intervention on my part. I vote for "design flaw" and don't plan to get a replacement. This is the second time it's happened to me, and the first time was also during winter and also after exposure to rain.

What made me decide to replace it is the fact that the passenger side handle has always worked fine. Maybe this replacement will be one that will work all the time.

I agree 100% that it's a design flaw and maybe the only way for them to fix it is if more people get their handles replaced under warrantee.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Handle

I've had my driver side handle replaced 6 times and pass 3 times. It works ok since my last driver handle replacement. My pass handle works much quicker than my driver side which is slow to unlock.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Go Big Blue!

what year is it? I can't understand why multiple replacements continue to fail for some drivers and other people never have a problem. No one can be that unlucky. It's not statistically possible.

I guess it just indicates that the root cause of the problem is not in the handle. For example; a short somewhere in the system that ends up blowing out the sensors in the handles, etc. I'm surprised Acura hasn't gotten to the bottom of this yet
Old 08-29-2016, 07:54 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/di...andle_info.pdf