Passenger headlight flicker PLEASE HELP

Old 06-03-2018, 10:33 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Passenger headlight flicker PLEASE HELP

Passenger headlight started flickering every once in a while a few months ago and recently it would flicker and go out. All I would have to do is turn the headlights off and back on and the headlight would work again, until it would flicker and turn off again.

I replaced both HIDs and the passenger one still flickered and would go out. I then bought a new ballast and replaced the passenger side ballast and now it still flickers but I haven't seen it go out.

What could it possibly be? I've turned off and even disconnected AFS and it still flickers. I've replaced the ballast and the bulb. Could it be the ignitor cable?

Any help would be appreciated this has been pissing me off for too long lol
Old 06-05-2018, 11:23 AM
Cruisin'

Replaced the ignitor cable last night and it still flickers every few minutes. I really don't know what to do at this point as I've replaced the ballast, bulb, and the ignitor.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:31 PM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
How many miles do you have? A weakened alternator could cause the voltage supplied to be low.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Dzik420
Replaced the ignitor cable last night and it still flickers every few minutes. I really don't know what to do at this point as I've replaced the ballast, bulb, and the ignitor.
Which car, are you having this problem with?
Old 06-06-2018, 02:04 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by HDNBenjamin
How many miles do you have? A weakened alternator could cause the voltage supplied to be low.
176k. However the alternator went bad a few months ago and was replaced. Also battery is good. I've checked the voltages and everything is correct.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:04 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by frankjnjr
which car, are you having this problem with?
2005 rl
Old 06-06-2018, 02:52 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
What did you use as replacement ballasts and bulbs?
Old 06-06-2018, 11:18 PM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
I'd check to ensure the contacts are not corroded and are good. I know you've indicated the ballast has been replaced, but if the replacement isn't new oem, you should consider swapping the ballast with the driver's ballast and see if that fixes it, if it does then you have a bad ballast replacement.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by HDNBenjamin
I'd check to ensure the contacts are not corroded and are good. I know you've indicated the ballast has been replaced, but if the replacement isn't new oem, you should consider swapping the ballast with the driver's ballast and see if that fixes it, if it does then you have a bad ballast replacement.
Good recommendation here. Also, were the replacement parts OEM, and were they new, or used?
Old 08-29-2018, 09:50 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I thought I would jump on this thread too and ask for some advice. My passenger light was flickering and would just go off and when I turned the lights all the way off and then back on, it would come back on. I replaced both HID's and everything was great for awhile. Now, no flickering, the light just goes out. I turn the lights off/on quickly, and the right light turns on and the left goes out. I have seen it switch back to the left staying on and right going out and then I try to turn them off/on and both lights go out and just the fog lights come on.

What could be the issue? Ballast?
Old 08-29-2018, 09:57 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by djrabbie303
So I thought I would jump on this thread too and ask for some advice. My passenger light was flickering and would just go off and when I turned the lights all the way off and then back on, it would come back on. I replaced both HID's and everything was great for awhile. Now, no flickering, the light just goes out. I turn the lights off/on quickly, and the right light turns on and the left goes out. I have seen it switch back to the left staying on and right going out and then I try to turn them off/on and both lights go out and just the fog lights come on.

What could be the issue? Ballast?
I ended up replacing the ballast and ignitor cable and it fixed my problem. No more flicker and I replaced the parts a couple months ago.
The following users liked this post:
djrabbie303 (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 10:19 AM
Cruisin'

I ended up replacing the ballast and ignitor cable and it fixed my problem. No more flicker and I replaced the parts a couple months ago.
Where did you get the parts at? I'm assuming not the cheapest parts to order?
Old 08-29-2018, 10:24 AM
Cruisin'

Where did you get the parts at? I'm assuming not the cheapest parts to order?
I took a risk and ordered them used off eBay for about $80 and haven't had problems ever since. I don't know how much brand new ones would cost. If you go used make sure you can get a refund in case you have the same problems.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:14 PM
Fk no!TheyldstroyEvrthing

Received 226 Likes on 191 Posts

Didn't you say on June 6 you had replaced the ballast and igniter and the problem reoccurred?

What am I missing?
Old 09-04-2018, 07:21 PM

This is still a mystery. OP ran away.
projektvertx (09-04-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 04:49 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I've got the same problem with my '05 RL, and I'm trying to replace the headlight/turn signal combo switch on the steering column since the flickering seems to be related to my fiddling with the switch, but I haven't yet been able to remove the upper steering column cover for fear of breaking the plastic. See my post of Sept 10, 05 RL Steering Column Cover Removal to Replace Combination Turn/Headlight Switch
Old 09-13-2018, 02:52 PM
Cruisin'

Hey Dzik420------FYI, I just replaced the combination headlight/turn signal switch on my '05 RL, and all my headlight woes are history! Sounds like that's next up for yours.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Gallbladder
Hey Dzik420------FYI, I just replaced the combination headlight/turn signal switch on my '05 RL, and all my headlight woes are history! Sounds like that's next up for yours.
Is that easy to do?

Wish you documented the work with visuals.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:59 PM
Cruisin'

Hi RL09. It was fairly easy. And I did provide visuals. See post #9 on this thread:05 RL Steering Column Cover Removal to Replace Combination Turn/Headlight Switch
RL09 (09-15-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 08:50 PM

My driver side is flickering, even it goes out sometimes. But turning off then on quick bring it back.

I wonder if it's ballast, igniter cable or the stick.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:00 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by RL09
My driver side is flickering, even it goes out sometimes. But turning off then on quick bring it back.

I wonder if it's ballast, igniter cable or the stick.
I would try swapping components from side to side one at a time and seeing with which component the problem follows.
RL09 (11-14-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 07:12 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Ballasts are known to go bad on these cars. Make sure you put the connector onto the bulb properly - it seats a certain way.

As anyone who has swapped parts on the headlights can appreciate, the headlights are a bit of a pain to get in/out of the car - so make sure everything is done properly before re-assembling.

Chris
RL09 (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by CFoote
Ballasts are known to go bad on these cars. Make sure you put the connector onto the bulb properly - it seats a certain way.

As anyone who has swapped parts on the headlights can appreciate, the headlights are a bit of a pain to get in/out of the car - so make sure everything is done properly before re-assembling.

Chris
We pulled the bumper when we changed the bulbs. but the dealer a few months back "double checked" the bulbs.... it's been flickering since... may indeed be a misplacement.

Pulling bumper this weekend and swapping harnesses and making sure all screwed in right.

Damned stealerships.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:30 PM
Cruisin'

We pulled the bumper when we changed the bulbs. but the dealer a few months back "double checked" the bulbs.... it's been flickering since... may indeed be a misplacement.

Pulling bumper this weekend and swapping harnesses and making sure all screwed in right.

Damned stealerships.
i hope you’re right but I have a feeling not. I’ve replaced the bulbs, no go. Replaced the ballasts and igniter cables, no go. Lights still flickering and then just shitting off. The only thing to replace is the headlight/blinker switch. That should be here Monday and you don’t have to remove the steering wheel, just the clam shell cover and a few screws. Someone said that was the ultimate fix for them since they replaced everything else. Either way, good luck.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:42 PM

i hope you’re right but I have a feeling not. I’ve replaced the bulbs, no go. Replaced the ballasts and igniter cables, no go. Lights still flickering and then just shitting off. The only thing to replace is the headlight/blinker switch. That should be here Monday and you don’t have to remove the steering wheel, just the clam shell cover and a few screws. Someone said that was the ultimate fix for them since they replaced everything else. Either way, good luck.
What a coincidence you'd reply. I was just coming in to post this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...e-help-962649/ !!

So, what Terry Khan said didn't work? Coz others were saying that the same happened: flickers, then goes out. You switch off then on, light is back on.

So if you tried all that, maybe also check the AFS sensor... Coz both happened together for me... and my sensor is caput. It's the one that control headlight swivel... but im not certain it also makes the light flicker.. Theoretically it shouldn't.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:49 PM

Forgot: I was trying earlier today to check for that stick. You got the part #? Would you mind saying where you got it?

Thanks. Good luck to you too. These little things in this car do frustrate.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:45 PM
Cruisin'

Forgot: I was trying earlier today to check for that stick. You got the part #? Would you mind saying where you got it?

Thanks. Good luck to you too. These little things in this car do frustrate.
i actually just looked on eBay for 2005-2008 ACURA RL HEADLIGHT TURN SIGNAL switch and they have several used ones. I only needed the headlight side but they sell the wiper and headlight column switch. I paid $15 for a 2008 used one. Brand new at autozone they are like $110 so I thought take a Chance with a used one.

RL09 (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 01:32 PM

Last week the mechanic/electrician was saying it may be the ballast in hotter weather... I did notice this week it flickers a lot less and didn't go out.

It's a hell of a mystery. But I think I will swap ballast locations anyway, and wait and see. Coz my bulbs are a year old, and my cables in A condition, so everything on the inside for that stick to corrode or something...
Old 12-20-2018, 06:14 PM

Mechanic that installed my afs sensor today said most of these flickerings are the bulb. So he wants to swap the bulbs first next week. They are one year old, and they are Morimoto.

Will keep you posted.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:54 AM

While swapping the bulbs, the mechanic noticed the same side that's flickering had it's gasket that's around the cover missing. part no: 33124-sjd-j01. Better check that before moving forward.

He thinks especially in the summer, humidity goes in and can cause it to flicker. Anyone had this happen or can confirm it may be that?

He still swapped the bulbs, which he did without removing the bumper and in like 30 mins job was done. Impressive. No other place could do that without dropping the bumper.

The missing gasket btw, is the handywork of the stealership. It started flickering few days after they said they'd like to check if the bulbs are ok when i went in to check on headlight not swiveling . I had a feeling when they said so, now i know what they did.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:10 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Wow...that's REALLY hard to do without dropping the bumper. No way could I get my gorilla hand in there to remove the bulb without dropping it. Maybe he managed to peel back the wheel well liner just enough. I had flickering on my previous set of bulbs. I don't recall how old there were at the time, but already several years old. So I figured they were starting to go. It happened over a period of months and at first just on one side. I figured I would just go for the new bulbs and see what happened. Sure enough the flickering almost completely stopped. Passenger side still does from time to time, but whatever. It's barely noticeable.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:07 PM

Oh no wheel liner no nothing. I initially was thinking to myself (glass wall): "is this guy for real? he's gonna give up and drop the bumper eventually".

He didn't even remove the battery, merely removed it's cover, stuck his hand in there, and started staring at the horizon and the ceiling. Then the guy would come up with a cover; and then with a bulb!

He did the same on the other side. Then he came to say: "there's a gasket missing on the flickering one". So...

It's back order, but on it's way in mid Jan.

Swake not sure why it would still flicker, other than to say I've noticed that whoever designed this car, assumed the term 'leak' is not in his dictionary.

If this mechanic is right, these flickers may be humidity leaking, especially for those who live in humid weather.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:20 PM

Well, verdict's out, it's the bulb. A less than a year old bulb gone flickerin.

Gonna have to change it.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:43 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I just got my 2010 RL last Saturday and on Monday I drove and the light didn't flicker but today it did 2 times already after starting the car and backing out. Mostly both lights would flicker few times at the same time
Old 09-06-2020, 10:57 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I'll jump in...I have 2005 RL..Replaced both bulbs about 2 years ago...after about 6 mos the driver side bulb starts to flicker...then its goes out...Turns back on with on and off...Sometimes I could go a week or so with no problem..esp when driving on the interstate..but now the passenger side is doing the same thing..Cant seem to get anything definitive on this forum ..seems like its bulbs for some people , ballasts for others...I'll start with new bulbs...But my question is..is it possible or feasible to replace with LED or Halogens?..or too expensive to make it not worth it?..Seems like the HIDs are just problems waiting to happen..thanks
Old 09-06-2020, 01:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
Originally Posted by mjoliver3263
So I'll jump in...I have 2005 RL..Replaced both bulbs about 2 years ago...after about 6 mos the driver side bulb starts to flicker...then its goes out...Turns back on with on and off...Sometimes I could go a week or so with no problem..esp when driving on the interstate..but now the passenger side is doing the same thing..Cant seem to get anything definitive on this forum ..seems like its bulbs for some people , ballasts for others...I'll start with new bulbs...But my question is..is it possible or feasible to replace with LED or Halogens?..or too expensive to make it not worth it?..Seems like the HIDs are just problems waiting to happen..thanks
no dont switch to LED. Did you get bulbs from a reputable source? You can also swap ballasts from passenger to driver’s side to rule that out
Old 09-06-2020, 02:49 PM

Switching to led means you have to change the ballasts too and some other parts. it comes as a kit. surely pricier than buying good bulbs.

My feeling so far is that it's the bulbs. I think if the bulb is less than 60 bucks, it'll flicker within a year.

I did some research before, and the bulbs are not even the 100$ sylvania's. They are a japanese plant in tokyo supplying only locally. The RL is made there too.

So, on bulbs, like engine mounts, better to get the dealer ones. im doing that next.