Nothing working except inside light and horn

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 04:08 PM
Fk no!TheyldstroyEvrthing

Received 226 Likes on 191 Posts
Nothing working except inside light and horn

How is everyone hope you are all doing well.

Major problem today I'm hoping you guys know what it can be. I've searched but this seems like a weird problem.

This morning got into the car and drove as usual. Car was then parked all day, until i went back and nothing. I mean nothing. I put my hand on the handle, nothing. I press unlock, nothing. I tried the other fob, same thing. I used the key to get in, and opened the hood, the batter tests at 12.7. Inside, can't put it in neutral, can't turn the ignition to I nor II, headlights don't work, nothing. Only the radio theft red light was flashing. Inner lights when set on 'door' don't work. If i put them on, they do. The horn work.

From the fob, if i press the red panic button, the horn sounds.

I removed the negative cable from the battery for a few minutes, and reconnected it. Nothing. It's a scary scene.

Anyone has any ideas?

Thank you.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:04 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Have you tried boosting it?

Anything electrical usually points towards the battery..
Old 05-04-2017, 06:58 PM

The battery's 6-8 months old. it tests 12.7 now. I'll try it. But the horn is strong. The lights inside the car are strong. But they don't go on when the door is open, but do go on if i press 'lights on'. Which tells me fuse or module no?

I checked the 120 and 50 fuses, they r fine. The 1 & 2 below steering wheel are fine. So maybe module?

Since a couple of weeks, when i hook up my iphone, it keeps beeping as if its charging not charging charging not charging... several times. Also, the climate control and clock dash went black twice recently and a little tap on its head brought it back.

Plus the passenger side pillar leaked loads from the rain last week.

Even if module i got no clue which.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
Originally Posted by RL09

Plus the passenger side pillar leaked loads from the rain last week.

Er... Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but hopefully it's not the ECM OR MICU that got fried somehow
Old 05-04-2017, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Er... Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but hopefully it's not the ECM OR MICU that got fried somehow
Lemme account for the worst case scenario anyway. if that is the one. lay it on me cold.

Where's each one of these located, how to test them and what do they cost? I'm searching, not easy to find.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:48 PM

You are probably talking about this https://www.acuraoemparts.com/oem-pa...QtYXV0b21hdGlj

Old 05-04-2017, 10:09 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
If you take the physical key out of the fob and use that to start the car instead of relying on keyless entry, what happens?
Old 05-04-2017, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by projektvertx
If you take the physical key out of the fob and use that to start the car instead of relying on keyless entry, what happens?
Hmmm.. I could use the key to start it? How? I never saw a slot to put the key in ignition. Embarrassing
Old 05-04-2017, 10:51 PM

Quite embarrassing actually.

i had pressed the panic button earlier today to test if it's working and it did and I think pressing unlock stopped it. Now, I inserted the key, the car starts but immediately sounds the horn continuously and nothing's stopping it. Woke up the neighborhood I'm sure.

1st thank you so much. Second, how do I stop it from honking? It thinks I'm stealing it.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:22 PM

On ignition I, i pressed the radio on, and it asked for the code. i entered it, the radio works. Iggnition II triggers the alarm.

I tried holding the key in open position on the door for few seconds. The other doors do not unlock, and the alarm still goes off.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:58 AM

On ignition I, i pressed the radio on, and it asked for the code. i entered it, the radio works. Iggnition II triggers the alarm.

I tried holding the key in open position on the door for few seconds. The other doors do not unlock, and the alarm still goes off.
I don't know about '09s but there is a cap you can remove off the ignition and it lets you put in the physical key on the '05-'08.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:19 AM

Is your immobilizer light flashing on the dash? Should be a green key symbol.

As for using the physical key, it should be the same as the earlier models. Remove cap from ignition, there will be a slot on the bottom of the cap to slide the key in popping the cap off so you have access to the ignition slot.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:40 AM

Guess I misread, you did figure out how to use the actual key to start the car?

PS. If it happens to be the ECU (hopefully not), here you go..

http://m.ebay.com/itm/142109807385?_mwBanner=1

Old 05-05-2017, 01:11 PM

Yes i managed to turn it on, but, like i said above, when i turn the ignition to II the alarm goes off. i tried several things mentioned above.

I read in another thread the door handle could be blowing fuse 7, etc. but i have no clue how to proceed or what could be the reason.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:23 PM

Fuse no 7. Replaced it, horn went off 3 times then fuse blew.

Then te door handle shorted out. Is it driver only or could be pass side?

How do you disconnect the handle? Any fuse or wire?

Help
​​​​​​​
Old 05-05-2017, 04:54 PM

Okey. So...

I removed the horn's fuse and tested a few things.

Now, neither here nor online it ever mentioned what I'm about to type. to deactivate the alarm, it say you have to put the key in the door and turn. Some even say few seconds etc. But, i kept going back and forth, open ignition, shut, go to door, turn, back to ignition, once on II, alarm goes off.

So, I basically went in and got my wife's key, started the car with one key, alarm on, then put the second key in the door and turned. it shut the fuck up!

Now, i lock the car, go back in normally, and it simply starts with the key. Phew.

So, status now, in case anyone would like to help me, is that i got Fuse #7 blown and keeps blowing. Door locks, cabin light when 'Door' option is chosen and Navigation do not work.

I need to stop what's blowing it, and this thread https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...doesnt-878925/ says that its the handles leaking water and that there was a service bulletin on them.

Does that mean Acura will pay for this defect? And is there a fuse or some wire I can unplug so as I can put a Fuse 7 back in and get other functions back?
Old 05-05-2017, 08:07 PM

Take the door panel off and disconnect the door handle
Old 05-05-2017, 09:01 PM

Do I do both handles or is it just driver's that does that?
Old 05-06-2017, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by teh CL
Take the door panel off and disconnect the door handle
This guy did very nice work
gonna use it to remove the panel. Scottsan was it?

​​​​​​​Did this place become dead or is it becoz I showed up?
Old 05-06-2017, 08:01 AM

I would just disconnect the suspect door handle.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:37 PM

I would just disconnect the suspect door handle.
My passenger's has always been on and off. Often only locking not opening etc or the opposite. Sometimes nothing at all.

The driver's always works without fail, but it's small casing, the cover that surrounds the keyhole, is loose. It clips on but can be easily taken off.

See my dilemma? I suppose I'm going to remove both and see which stops the fuse from blowing.

Can't these handles be fixed and then sealed with a clear silicone?

I think this was a problem before I bought the car. The clue is the liner in the trunk on the left side that was always taken out, and i wondered on here why last year.

The fuel cap button doesn't work, so i had to pull the wire from the trunk, exactly where that liner was pulled when i bought it.

So, dealer fixed those handles somehow, and sold me the car.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:33 PM

The cap can probably be siliconed back on, depending on the extent of the damage to the clip. I would use a small dab of 3M trim glue. Just an FYI, it does come pre-painted if you were to buy a replacement. Is it too late to go back to the dealer on the handles? They might be able to warranty the replacement part?
Old 05-06-2017, 02:42 PM

The cap and clip are fine. Its the seal that's the problem. We're not supposed to be able to pull them out and back on so easily i think. The service bulletin on them says its the seal too. leaks water then havoc.

I bought my car as the second owner. it's out of warranty time. I dunno. i'll try.

Gonna work on disconnecting them soon. Hope it's as easy as it seems.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:16 PM

The cap and clip are fine. Its the seal that's the problem. We're not supposed to be able to pull them out and back on so easily i think. The service bulletin on them says its the seal too. leaks water then havoc.

I bought my car as the second owner. it's out of warranty time. I dunno. i'll try.

Gonna work on disconnecting them soon. Hope it's as easy as it seems.
If the dealer replaced the handles when you bought it(?), my understanding is OE replacement parts have some sort of limited warranty (usually a year or less). I doubt it's worth pursuing at this point but just a thought. As far as the separate cap issue is concerned when mine become loose I just replaced the cap itself and that fixed my issue. I don't remember getting the seal with the replacement cap though. My clip appeared fine from the outside when it started becoming loose at the time
Old 05-06-2017, 05:43 PM

If the dealer replaced the handles when you bought it(?), my understanding is OE replacement parts have some sort of limited warranty (usually a year or less). I doubt it's worth pursuing at this point but just a thought. As far as the separate cap issue is concerned when mine become loose I just replaced the cap itself and that fixed my issue. I don't remember getting the seal with the replacement cap though. My clip appeared fine from the outside when it started becoming loose at the time
nono I'm saying that since that liner was pulled when i bought it, means at some point before the fuse blew and they had to pull the liner to fill gas. And given the passenger's wasn't working well, i'm assuming they fixed it up a bit, and sold it.

I removed those 3 screws, and pulled the panel clips all around, but its as if there's something stuck bang in the center of the panel. I didn't wanna break it. so, I re-assembled it. Grrr
Old 05-06-2017, 06:28 PM

With the '05-'08, there is a screw in the magazine/paper pocket that also needs to be removed, is it possible you forget that?
Old 05-06-2017, 09:13 PM

No I removed that too. That, door handle top screw and inside the door latch. As per te video above. Couldn't find others in case 09 was different.

it may be a clip too hard but it's too stuck in there, dead in center of the whole pannel. don't wanna risk bending the panel or breaking it.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:37 PM

No I removed that too. That, door handle top screw and inside the door latch. As per te video above. Couldn't find others in case 09 was different.

it may be a clip too hard but it's too stuck in there, dead in center of the whole pannel. don't wanna risk bending the panel or breaking it.
Interesting. I can't think of what else you haven't removed... Then it should just be a matter of pulling the retaining clips on the outside of the panel off...
Old 05-08-2017, 01:41 PM

It turns out there's a fourth screw! Damn you Scottsan! It seems it's 4 screws on the 09-12, and 3 screws on the 05-08. The 4th was in the armrest, inside that pit that has a rubber floor, well you need a very sharp and pointed tool and pick on it to lift up, then pull it. It's indeed dead in the center of the panel.

So the whole operation took 10 minutes. Disconnected the passenger handle, and Fuse #7 no longer blew! Now all works again, except passenger handle doesn't lock/unlock by touch, which was intermittent anyways, and never used.

Thank you for those who helped out.

I'll be back to post whatever new thing I learn that I know from my posting on here would be useful. As I always did.

Thank you.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:07 PM

It turns out there's a fourth screw! Damn you Scottsan! It seems it's 4 screws on the 09-12, and 3 screws on the 05-08. The 4th was in the armrest, inside that pit that has a rubber floor, well you need a very sharp and pointed tool and pick on it to lift up, then pull it. It's indeed dead in the center of the panel.

So the whole operation took 10 minutes. Disconnected the passenger handle, and Fuse #7 no longer blew! Now all works again, except passenger handle doesn't lock/unlock by touch, which was intermittent anyways, and never used.

Thank you for those who helped out.

I'll be back to post whatever new thing I learn that I know from my posting on here would be useful. As I always did.

Thank you.
Glad it's fixed!
The following users liked this post:
RL09 (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 12:45 PM

If you see second 19 in the video, the 08 armrest has no dents or pits in in.

The 09's door is quite different. The armrest has a pit that fits 4 fingers, u can use it to pull the door to close it, also with its rubber and slightly studded flooring, seems like a place you can keep coins, or other little things where the leather walls and rubber flooring won't make a rattling noise... etc.

So in the 09, below that rubber, there's a 4th screw, the other 3 being exactly where the video above shows.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:52 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White plug in vicinity of handle or connection to inside handle?

Hi guys...

I have door panels off and looking to disconnect handles/ sensors... What do I unplug? The white plug in vicinity of outdoor handle or plugs that run into the indoor handle?

Thanks much 🙏
Old 01-31-2019, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rick W.
Hi guys...

I have door panels off and looking to disconnect handles/ sensors... What do I unplug? The white plug in vicinity of outdoor handle or plugs that run into the indoor handle?

Thanks much 🙏
You unplug the outdoor handle.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:39 AM
6th Gear

The visible white plug?

You unplug the outdoor handle.

Or do I need to get a hand back in there?
Old 01-31-2019, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rick W.
Or do I need to get a hand back in there?
??

Once your door panel is off, the plug going into the outdoor handle should be pretty straight forward.

Dunno why you got both door panels off tho, the problem usually is on one side. The side that's been working on and off (outdoor door handle).
Old 01-31-2019, 10:57 AM
6th Gear

I have no power to anything #7 fuse powers, blew after replacing.. Pulled drivers door panel and unhooked white plug ( only one easy to see in the area of handle) threw new fuse in and it blew.. I pulled passenger door panel and unplugged same white plug.. Threw in another fuse and it blew instantly as well. So here I sit , on my thumb, at least comfortable with removing these door panels now 🙍
Old 01-31-2019, 11:20 AM
6th Gear

Btw the drivers handle was a bit finnicky before this happened.. I should reiterate I didn't completely remove door panels but could access the main visible few plugs..

Am I just being lazy and have to take the door panels completely off to get the right plug disconnected? I unscrewed the 3 screws -2005 RL- and popped off all clips. ..
Old 01-31-2019, 11:41 AM

Wow.. Well, the extent of my knowledge is the door handle shorts, fuse 7 blows. So, if you are certain you have unplugged both door handles, and it still blows, well, that is outside of my small sphere of expertise.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:37 PM
6th Gear

Thanks for the help.. I knew I was off here because this problem is just like mine. I'm off to do the work, and I see what I did.
I unplugged the actuator plug shown in some pics in this thread ----link below----(larger white plug super easy to see in vicinity of outer door handle, and only one there) . I need to get the smaller plug also shown in the pics that is directly onto handle (just dig a little deeper ⛏) . I hope this helps someone in the future. Thanks everyone, great site. Let's see if this is it 🙏
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-generation-rl-2005-2012-76/08-rl-electrical-issue-fuse-953838/
Old 02-02-2019, 10:49 AM
6th Gear

Yes, so completely remove door panel shown in video in this thread, not TOO big of a pain. . Keep actuator plug (white) in but get black plug connecting directly to handle, will probably be just passenger side as said by many, was for me as well. Solved my #7 fuse issue!! 🙏