Clunking from rear

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 06:40 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Hand-Filer how does this fix compare with your Monroe fix? Does the Acura fix bring back the original weight load capability?
Old 08-21-2013, 10:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by mdfree
Hand-Filer how does this fix compare with your Monroe fix? Does the Acura fix bring back the original weight load capability?
The Acura fix has no bearing on the original load capacity. It just takes care of the issue of the defective shocks.
My temporary fix had a softer ride. I prefer the firmer ride of the factory shocks and the elimination of the banging sounds.

I did replace the Acura upper shock mount bushings with the Monroe bushings a few days after I had the shocks replaced.
The Acura bushings are very hard and the major cause of the thumping sounds that transfer through the shocks and into the body.

Some of you will think I'm nuts and that's fine but the car is a lot quieter with these bushings.

I have an extra pair left, they take 15 minutes to install and I'll forward them along with detailed instructions to anyone willing to try them. Postage extra.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
No one should buy an Acura and expect to hear this noise. It is unacceptable in a 'luxury' car. And if Acura can't do better than Buick that is sad for Acura. It has taken Acura far too long to resolve this. Makes me wonder what other issues will come up with 1st year cars that Acura can barely fix after a year (or more).
It's a hit or miss issue. My 2013 RDX never had this issue. All Honda's/Acura's ride a little stiff, always have. If you want less stiff get a previous generation Lexus that floats around. My previous infiniti EX35 "luxury brand" had all kinds of issues, including defective radiator when it was new, wiring harness went bad, rear brakes would wear out every 15k miles (known issue) My point is.. every car has it's issues. Even "luxury" brands.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:26 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
True "Danmangto", regarding every car has issues. The point is, a shock absorber, or strut, is not a "high-tech" component. They have been making them for decades. If anything, the art of building them should be perfected. I think the manufacturer tried to save a few pennies, and cut corners somewhere in the process, or that special valve inside did not work as expected.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:37 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boppa
Noticed an intermittent thumping from the right rear of my RDX at @1k miles.
Happened when going over bumps at low speeds. Took it in today and the dealer replaced the right rear shock. Did not notice the thump on the way home from the dealer. Previously owned an '09 TL and had absolutely no issues with it. I'll post an update if and when the problem recurs.
Update - the thumping has now moved to the driver's side (probably there all along - just not noticed since the other side was louder). Back to the dealer today and they have ordered a shock for the driver's side, will install next week. I'm hoping this will end this saga since the shock replacement has solved the problem on the right side. Will post results.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Update - the thumping has now moved to the driver's side (probably there all along - just not noticed since the other side was louder). Back to the dealer today and they have ordered a shock for the driver's side, will install next week. I'm hoping this will end this saga since the shock replacement has solved the problem on the right side. Will post results.
I'm sure that will resolve the issue. It's kind of ridiculous that they don't replace them as a set in the first place to avoid the hassle of dealing with it twice.
My dealer saw the logic in this and did both.
Mine is still noise free and I'm really enjoying the merits of this vehicle now.

Last edited by hand-filer; 08-24-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by rosen39
True "Danmangto", regarding every car has issues. The point is, a shock absorber, or strut, is not a "high-tech" component. They have been making them for decades. If anything, the art of building them should be perfected. I think the manufacturer tried to save a few pennies, and cut corners somewhere in the process, or that special valve inside did not work as expected.
Only know of one that is close to perfect. Landcruiser or Lexus LX. Built for 25 years of rugged service in a third world country. You can get over 500k miles of trouble free service with normal maintance.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:43 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
True.. come to think of it.. the rear strut sound comes and goes on mine.. It was more prominent when the car was new. The dealer had it multiple times and said it was normal, LOL!
Old 09-04-2013, 03:30 PM
3rd Gear

Got left rear shock installed today. Seems to have solved the problem. Dealer said they've replaced rear shocks on a number of new RDX's. So far, no one has brought their vehicle back after replacement. Must have been a bunch of defective shocks in the factory?
Old 09-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
It' amazing all the different messages and what this dealer said and etc, etc.

I talked to my Serv. Director. He is aware of the "chat" on Accurazine. He directly contacted Acura and the Acura Parts in California. There are no "new" rear shocks...with the same part # as originals. Same shock as always. He said if I'm not happy with them he will replace them.

They are somewhat better in warmer weather and worse in colder as other's have said. I'm still stumped how some dealers say there are "new replacement" shocks on the shelves now.

My Acura dealer is THE top selling dealer in the district and one of the most respected. I have a personal relationship with the GM and the Serv. Director. They know about what's being said....but, Acura directly told them...nothing has changed and have no explanation of why the problems. My best educated guess is the manufacturing process where they are made in Mexico is sloppy and not of the best quality.

We'll see. Still amazed at some who are willing to give up on the RDX just because of this. Crazy. I love my 2013...and just look at all the other manufacturers and the tons of recalls they are having. I'll stick with Acura.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Pro

The only difference on the part number was the stock shock ended in the letter "A" and the new part ended in the letter"B".
Old 09-28-2013, 11:51 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

The only difference on the part number was the stock shock ended in the letter "A" and the new part ended in the letter"B".
I got that before on here...BUT....as I mentioned...Acura parts in California told my Serv. Dir. there have been no changes...none, nothing, zip....I'll pass that on, but, doubt if it makes a diff. As I also said, he's aware of what is "said" on here...and follows...plus, keeps in touch with Honda Motor Corp/Acura Div. in California to have them confirm or deny any and all rumors, thoughts, ideas, etc, etc. I'll press him on the "A"...."B" issue and see what he comes up with.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:55 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

The part # listed in the Acura Parts system for 2013 AND 2014 RDX...rear shocks is: 52610-TX4-A02. Now where is this so called change from A to B as a "last letter?"
Old 09-28-2013, 09:32 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just had both rear shocks replaced again about a week ago and the obnoxious clunking sound is finally gone! The sound the cars makes over bumps is now just a normal thud. This is AFTER I had the same shocks replaced back in November of last year that did absolutely nothing to address the clunking.

My Acura service rep this time was excellent and knew exactly about the clunking issue with the RDX and did not hesitate to replace the shocks again after a short drive. He confirmed to me that the current shocks WERE different from previous iterations. He also said that since the current shocks were being used, he's had zero callbacks about the clunking issue. I was very skeptical when he called me told me the clunking sound was no longer there, but as soon as I drove the car, I could tell. I even purposely drove over speed bumps and other road obstructions the entire day just to make sure. It's definitely a night and day difference. The sound is now completely normal.

I'm not sure if it was a new part #, same part w/ corrected defect, or something entirely different, but all I know is that this same dealer replaced the shocks about a year ago and the issue was not corrected then.

Don't let the dealer deceive you into thinking that the clunking sound is normal. It is NOT. I've had several passengers in my car bring up the sound while driving with me. One of my friends said that it sounded like his old 95 Ford Explorer (with worn shocks). It is NOT normal.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:43 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
My Acura dealer is THE top selling dealer in the district and one of the most respected. I have a personal relationship with the GM and the Serv. Director. They know about what's being said....but, Acura directly told them...nothing has changed and have no explanation of why the problems. My best educated guess is the manufacturing process where they are made in Mexico is sloppy and not of the best quality.

We'll see. Still amazed at some who are willing to give up on the RDX just because of this. Crazy. I love my 2013...and just look at all the other manufacturers and the tons of recalls they are having. I'll stick with Acura.
For me it is more about Acura's response, or lack thereof, of this problem. Something seemingly so simple as a shock and they can't figure out how to address it. They barely even acknowledge it. Their approach seems to be.. 'if one set doesn't work, try another, repeat until the noise stops.' That is if you don't get the 'this is completely normal' response. If there were a more serious problem with the car I just have no confidence they can address it. I get flash backs to my crappy Honda AT back in the 90's. I agree it is not a huge technical issue, but that is kind of the point. Why can't they figure it out?

Originally Posted by Al Bundy
Just had both rear shocks replaced again about a week ago and the obnoxious clunking sound is finally gone! The sound the cars makes over bumps is now just a normal thud. This is AFTER I had the same shocks replaced back in November of last year that did absolutely nothing to address the clunking.

My Acura service rep this time was excellent and knew exactly about the clunking issue with the RDX and did not hesitate to replace the shocks again after a short drive. He confirmed to me that the current shocks WERE different from previous iterations. He also said that since the current shocks were being used, he's had zero callbacks about the clunking issue. I was very skeptical when he called me told me the clunking sound was no longer there, but as soon as I drove the car, I could tell. I even purposely drove over speed bumps and other road obstructions the entire day just to make sure. It's definitely a night and day difference. The sound is now completely normal.

I'm not sure if it was a new part #, same part w/ corrected defect, or something entirely different, but all I know is that this same dealer replaced the shocks about a year ago and the issue was not corrected then.

Don't let the dealer deceive you into thinking that the clunking sound is normal. It is NOT. I've had several passengers in my car bring up the sound while driving with me. One of my friends said that it sounded like his old 95 Ford Explorer (with worn shocks). It is NOT normal.
Glad you won the 'shock lottery'

The RDX is, at the moment, the only Acura car I'd consider buying out of the current line up. If the TLX falls flat it will still be on my short list, but I've always been a sedan guy. The older I get the more I like the ease of entry with the RDX.

Last edited by Rocket_man; 09-29-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:52 AM
Pro

"The part # listed in the Acura Parts system for 2013 AND 2014 RDX...rear shocks is: 52610-TX4-A02. Now where is this so called change from A to B as a "last letter?""

Your right. What I meant to say was the last two numbers have changed from "01" to "02" which indicate a newer version.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:28 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

"The part # listed in the Acura Parts system for 2013 AND 2014 RDX...rear shocks is: 52610-TX4-A02. Now where is this so called change from A to B as a "last letter?""

Your right. What I meant to say was the last two numbers have changed from "01" to "02" which indicate a newer version.
Curious...where did you come up with that "change?" I called an Acura dealer's parts dept. and they never heard of the part # ending in 01. I will call Acura..Honda Motor Corp. tomorrow.

So many different versions on here. One was...the product changed but, the part # didn't! Where did that person get their info. from?? We need to get to the REAL story here. Don't you all agree???
Old 09-30-2013, 04:44 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

And, just for the fun of it......For all those that again, are ready to "jump ship" just because there is an issue with rear shocks...not a huge thing in my book.

I've been in the "mechanical world" for a long time. Cars, industrial equip. and aircraft. Haven't seen a "perfect product" anywhere yet...and I know I never will.

Take a look at all the recalls. Recent...Honda 700,000 units!!!....BMW....brake boosters....on and on going back many months others too.

IF someone were to change vehicles every time there was an "issue" you'd run out of cars to "flee to!" The real decision...to me...when buying a vehicle is look at the past...for the most part...it will tell you the future. History of repairs, reviews, etc....and also that the RDX was fairly recently noted for having the highest residual value of all SUV's. Now, how does that happen? Based on past vehicle performance and Acura known overall quality.

Just sayin. I picked a great SUV....shock issue or not. Get over 22 mpg in town driving consistently....NO issues besides a little shock thing...to me certainly NOT a deal breaker.

I've seen more Mercedes broke down beside the road than any other vehicles. So, their history of holding together is NOT good...and that's been noted by industry leaders in tracking vehicles and their quality.

Anyway......
Old 09-30-2013, 11:28 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Oops...mistake on my previous message. That 700,000 unit recall was for Toyota's....NOT Hondas! Sorry.....at least I caught it! LOL!!!
Old 10-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2014 AWD with tech and 700 miles on the clock. Every time I back out of the drive I hear a clunk, my wife who rarely notices these things has been driving the RDX around and me around for that matter after hip surgery and asked what is that clunking noise when we back out of the drive. After reading the entire thread it is not clear to me if 2014 owners are experiencing the same issues as 13 owners? Is what I am hearing the dreaded suspension/shock issue?
Old 10-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Minge
I have a 2014 AWD with tech and 700 miles on the clock. Every time I back out of the drive I hear a clunk, my wife who rarely notices these things has been driving the RDX around and me around for that matter after hip surgery and asked what is that clunking noise when we back out of the drive. After reading the entire thread it is not clear to me if 2014 owners are experiencing the same issues as 13 owners? Is what I am hearing the dreaded suspension/shock issue?
Is that the only time you hear it? Do you hear it while driving, for example going over manholes?
Old 10-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts
Do you hear it when you apply the brakes while backing up? Sometimes a click or clunk when braking while backing up is the brake pads shifting in the calipers. It's usually more of sharp click or clank rather than a clunk, tho.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:09 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just want to give my experience in here:

We have an early 2013 and the clunking has been present at the rear left for a long time. Last time I took it in they tried to tell me that it was a loose spare tire, which they "fixed," but sure enough the sound was still here.

On Friday I took it in for an oil change and basically told then to check the shocks, that they were defective and it wasn't the tire.

They ended up replacing both rear shocks with little argument. It's pretty clear to me they know this is an issue and they've been doing this work for other customers.

My dealer is Devan Acura in Norwalk, CT.

Other than this issue, we love the car (it's my wife's DD.)
Old 10-08-2013, 03:04 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by Hugh 27
Just want to give my experience in here:

We have an early 2013 and the clunking has been present at the rear left for a long time. Last time I took it in they tried to tell me that it was a loose spare tire, which they "fixed," but sure enough the sound was still here.

On Friday I took it in for an oil change and basically told then to check the shocks, that they were defective and it wasn't the tire.

They ended up replacing both rear shocks with little argument. It's pretty clear to me they know this is an issue and they've been doing this work for other customers.

My dealer is Devan Acura in Norwalk, CT.

Other than this issue, we love the car (it's my wife's DD.)
Did that fix the issue?
Old 10-08-2013, 05:14 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Did that fix the issue?
So far, it seems to have gone away.
The following users liked this post:
Rocket_man (10-08-2013)
Old 11-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Rear Shock Absorbers Replacement Inquiries

Hey Guys,

In late August, had the rear shock absorbers on my '13 RDX replaced. Seemed to clear up the problem with the clunking sound and the vehicle drives a lot smoother now. Where I'm living here in Winnipeg Canada its gotten a bit colder now and I've noticed the clunking has come back but its not as pronounced as before. Going over large bumps, the car handles great but the weird thing is, when I drive over slight dips in the road, I could hear that rattling again.

It sounds like its coming from the rear wheels. Should I have Acura replace all the shock absorbers on the vehicle just in case? Was planning to have them swapped all of them out during my next oil change which is soon. Very weird...the sound is not as annoying as before but I could still hear it...its very subtle.

I'm a pretty patient guy so as long as Acura is willing to fix this under warranty then I'm good and have no complaints.

Later.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jemini84
Hey Guys,

In late August, had the rear shock absorbers on my '13 RDX replaced. Seemed to clear up the problem with the clunking sound and the vehicle drives a lot smoother now. Where I'm living here in Winnipeg Canada its gotten a bit colder now and I've noticed the clunking has come back but its not as pronounced as before. Going over large bumps, the car handles great but the weird thing is, when I drive over slight dips in the road, I could hear that rattling again.

It sounds like its coming from the rear wheels. Should I have Acura replace all the shock absorbers on the vehicle just in case? Was planning to have them swapped all of them out during my next oil change which is soon. Very weird...the sound is not as annoying as before but I could still hear it...its very subtle.

I'm a pretty patient guy so as long as Acura is willing to fix this under warranty then I'm good and have no complaints.

Later.
Same story here. As soon as the temperature dropped below 10C the noise came back. Honestly if Honda hasn't figured this out yet I doubt very much they ever will. Rather disappointed that I have a new car that sounds like a clunker 6 months out of 12.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by hand-filer
Same story here. As soon as the temperature dropped below 10C the noise came back. Honestly if Honda hasn't figured this out yet I doubt very much they ever will. Rather disappointed that I have a new car that sounds like a clunker 6 months out of 12.
Same thing goes for me with my ILX, even after they have been replaced already. ..........
Old 11-01-2013, 02:16 PM
Intermediate

Interesting...thought I was alone in this. Didn't realize you guys had similar issues when driving this vehicle in colder temperatures. Like I said before, the vehicle drives super smooth over bumps with the revised shock absorbers but as hand-filer mentioned, colder temperatures seem bring out that slight clunking/rattling noise. Its not as pronounced as before but I could hear it.

Strange indeed...hope there is a fix for this soon. I'll mention it to the dealer and let you guys know what I find out.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Jemini84
Interesting...thought I was alone in this. Didn't realize you guys had similar issues when driving this vehicle in colder temperatures. Like I said before, the vehicle drives super smooth over bumps with the revised shock absorbers but as hand-filer mentioned, colder temperatures seem bring out that slight clunking/rattling noise. Its not as pronounced as before but I could hear it.

Strange indeed...hope there is a fix for this soon. I'll mention it to the dealer and let you guys know what I find out.
My two cents: Mentioning it to the dealer will not produce any results. All they will do is acknowledge your statement and move on. I would call Acura Customer Relations in California and have them open a case #. That is the only way Corporate will know about your concern and then can hopefully match your complain to numerous others that are experiencing the same.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Intermediate

Yeah I think I'll try that instead.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
...well that sucks!! Just when I thought that "clunking" noise was finally fixed and was willing to go to the dealer to have it fixed, then these posts.

Maybe these new Acura are not meant to be driven/sold in cold climate....They could stop selling them up here and not have to put invest in seat and steering warmers too. *sigh*

I am not an engineer but for GOD sake, they have been making suspensions on cars for AGES...surely they can figure out what is causing it to clunk and be able to fix it no?!
Old 11-01-2013, 06:43 PM
Burning Brakes

I did a little more research on this and ended up ordering a pair of KYB replacement shocks for a 2012 RDX. They are the same length and have the identical attachment configuration.
They arrived from Rock Auto this afternoon and I installed them immediately.

Damping characteristics are close, perhaps a tad firmer over small bumps but about the same on medium to larger bumps.
The big test was driving it down the stretch of road with the multiple staggered sunken man holes that I use to gauge the banging/clunking issues. The noises are gone and hopefully for good.

This vehicle from new had an annoying drumming resonance on certain roads. I attribute that to the hockey puck hardness of the stock shock bushings. They are a great conductor of road noise and the box shape of the car amplifies it like crazy.
One thing I did notice on the KYB's is that the rubber mounting bushings are of a much lower durometer in other words they are softer.
The drumming noise is gone.
Two new shocks - $154 US
No more impact noise and boombox resonances - priceless!
I'll provide more feedback as the weather gets colder.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
hand-filer...I so wished I lived closer to Winnipeg and could go get a test drive and see the work you have done. No question in my mind that you have posted such valuable information for us RDX owners....I'll keeping monitoring this thread and see what your work has done for eliminating the noise in the rear suspension.

Imagine....A Canadian can figure out a way to reduce the noise but Acura can't?! Its a disgrace for Acura....they just don't stand behind their quality/reliability/reputation anymore it seems.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:02 AM
Summer is Coming

Well this is truly disappointing. First I was annoyed at how Acura just denied the whole problem existed. Then finally after what a year or so they began to replace the shocks with new ones, often reluctantly, but at least they did it. Now even that fix isn't a fix? How hard are shocks? If the aftermarket community can make a decent shock why can't Acura? This is not the mark of a luxury brand. The RDX is the only Acura car left on my list. At least I know I can fix this problem myself. A more serious problem like a bad transmission I'd be screwed.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Intermediate

I think these new "amplitude reactive dampers" may be a little too complex. They are also found in the RLX and newest MDX. I am still waiting to lodge my complaint to make sure I get a real fix and not just an equivalent replacement.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fricart
I think these new "amplitude reactive dampers" may be a little too complex. They are also found in the RLX and newest MDX. I am still waiting to lodge my complaint to make sure I get a real fix and not just an equivalent replacement.
And found in the ILX, hence why we are experiencing the same.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fricart
Go ahead and lodge a complaint. Honda will not acknowledge this if we don't complain formally and in significant numbers.
Three sets of shocks later I still had the problem. The last set supposedly the latest iteration that would take care of the noise didn't.
The dampers are not too complex, just poorly executed. They are manufactured by Sachs and assembled in Mexico. They are f'ing junk!
My KYB replacements which are for the 2012 and older RDX's are noise free.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:10 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

I did a little more research on this and ended up ordering a pair of KYB replacement shocks for a 2012 RDX. They are the same length and have the identical attachment configuration.
They arrived from Rock Auto this afternoon and I installed them immediately.

Damping characteristics are close, perhaps a tad firmer over small bumps but about the same on medium to larger bumps.
The big test was driving it down the stretch of road with the multiple staggered sunken man holes that I use to gauge the banging/clunking issues. The noises are gone and hopefully for good.

This vehicle from new had an annoying drumming resonance on certain roads. I attribute that to the hockey puck hardness of the stock shock bushings. They are a great conductor of road noise and the box shape of the car amplifies it like crazy.
One thing I did notice on the KYB's is that the rubber mounting bushings are of a much lower durometer in other words they are softer.
The drumming noise is gone.
Two new shocks - $154 US
No more impact noise and boombox resonances - priceless!
I'll provide more feedback as the weather gets colder.
I wouldn't mind buying my own quality shocks. So far, I can't find one after market shock company that makes one for the '13 RDX. The one for the '12 RDX sounds like a "maybe" deal. Most know...but, maybe not all, that the suspension on the Gen 1 RDX's was a lot stiffer and made for carving canyon roads. So, I can see where these would ride "harder" than they should for our suspension systems.

It would be good to hear feedback after you do some winter weather driving. I'm hoping that a shock company comes out with quality replacements soon. KYB is a good shock. And affordable.

The factory shocks were a good idea on paper...and maybe still are..but, the construction by Sachs is apparently not up to what the drawing board "said."

Their "2 piston valves" shock seems to have the #2 valve set too "harsh" and thus causing our noise problems. The idea was to have that valve help stabilize larger suspension motion for increased stability. Valve #1 is designed to handle "softer" type of road vibration and bumps.

High quality after market shocks use a different system to do the same thing. Their shocks just stiffen the more they are compressed by use of their oil system and bypass methods.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:26 AM
Racer

Go ahead and lodge a complaint. Honda will not acknowledge this if we don't complain formally and in significant numbers.
Three sets of shocks later I still had the problem. The last set supposedly the latest iteration that would take care of the noise didn't.
The dampers are not too complex, just poorly executed. They are manufactured by Sachs and assembled in Mexico. They are f'ing junk!
My KYB replacements which are for the 2012 and older RDX's are noise free.
This is exactly what it is (on the ILX as well). The Sachs dampers are complete GARBAGE. YOU HEAR THAT ACURA?!

Quick Reply: Clunking from rear