Clunking from rear

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
I wouldn't mind buying my own quality shocks. So far, I can't find one after market shock company that makes one for the '13 RDX. The one for the '12 RDX sounds like a "maybe" deal. Most know...but, maybe not all, that the suspension on the Gen 1 RDX's was a lot stiffer and made for carving canyon roads. So, I can see where these would ride "harder" than they should for our suspension systems.

It would be good to hear feedback after you do some winter weather driving. I'm hoping that a shock company comes out with quality replacements soon. KYB is a good shock. And affordable.

The factory shocks were a good idea on paper...and maybe still are..but, the construction by Sachs is apparently not up to what the drawing board "said."

Their "2 piston valves" shock seems to have the #2 valve set too "harsh" and thus causing our noise problems. The idea was to have that valve help stabilize larger suspension motion for increased stability. Valve #1 is designed to handle "softer" type of road vibration and bumps.

High quality after market shocks use a different system to do the same thing. Their shocks just stiffen the more they are compressed by use of their oil system and bypass methods.
The KYB's are firmer but not objectionably so. I'll definitely report back after the weather gets colder.
I would have preferred to go with Bilststein shocks but KYB is the only manufacturer of replacements for the 2012 and older RDX at this point in time. Could be another year or two before we see anything for the 2013 and newer models.
Aside from the shocks there's a lot to like about this vehicle.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by hand-filer
The KYB's are firmer but not objectionably so. I'll definitely report back after the weather gets colder.
I would have preferred to go with Bilststein shocks but KYB is the only manufacturer of replacements for the 2012 and older RDX at this point in time. Could be another year or two before we see anything for the 2013 and newer models.
Thanks...and I totally agree....there is MUCH to like about the RDX, 2nd Gen. The more I drive it, own it, appreciate it...the more I know I made the right choice. IF the perfect car/truck/SUV were made they couldn't make enough of them....but, pay more, pay less....there is no perfect vehicle. It just so happens that Acura's....overall....seem to do it better more consistently than others. Can't wait to get an MDX...for my retirement/travel SUV.

Stupid Motor Trend...just came out with their testing for SUV of the year. Didn't have the MDX as a "finalist." Why?? Pretty much they didn't like the "busy" center stack, etc. They praised how quiet it was..more than the others....how it rode.. great performance..on and on. But, it's not a finalist?? Give me a break! It's a much better vehicle than some of their finalists. They must be Democrats!
Old 11-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I agree with both of you....the RDX does more "+" than "-" but teh problem is that it is such an unacceptable noise problem and something so simply that I think this is what is causing my biggest grief. I wish we could all call Sachs and voice our disgust in their dampers....
Old 11-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Spirited Driver
This is exactly what it is (on the ILX as well). The Sachs dampers are complete GARBAGE. YOU HEAR THAT ACURA?!
I'd like to think Acura cares but we're 2 years into this and they have no solution? There are 2 possibilities... either they don't care to fix it, or they can't fix it. They seem to have done some ineffective change in the part but that hasn't worked. So the conclusion so far is that they cannot fix it. If it were my car and I were having these problems I would have gone after market. The cost is too little to suffer the aggravation.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I'd like to think Acura cares but we're 2 years into this and they have no solution? There are 2 possibilities... either they don't care to fix it, or they can't fix it. They seem to have done some ineffective change in the part but that hasn't worked. So the conclusion so far is that they cannot fix it. If it were my car and I were having these problems I would have gone after market. The cost is too little to suffer the aggravation.
Even if you were in a lease, am I am?
Old 11-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

I'll repeat what I've talked about before on here...yes, the shocks could be better. But, this is not a deal breaker....for most owners I see here. Jumping ship for this is not an option for me and many others. Why?.....because the long list of "good" outweighs the "bad" with the RDX. Compared to other vehicles...price for price what you get...etc, this is one fine SUV. There's not a vehicle out there that doesn't have "some kind of issue" the keeps it from being perfect. And perfect will never happen.

The noise from these harsher shocks....seems to be from the cover of the spare...and some fenderwell panels that meet up with the metal body.

The "love" for this RDX far overcomes the shock issue. It's not like the trans is falling out, etc. Is it "right?" No...we need a better shock. But, until that happens I can certainly live with it...not so terrible....until new ones come around. They are not leaking...I've checked twice. If they were I'd have my dealer replace them.

It always amazes me how some folks can almost seem to go ballistic over something that is not a major issue. It's an "issue" that needs correcting...but, it's not the end of the world. I don't lose any sleep over it. Some on here LOVE to extort the issue to the highest degree....then others get all worked up and want to immediately trade their RDX for a "better SUV." Pretty silly. Yes, each to their own...I get it....but, common sense has to come into play...and unfortunately that is something very few people have. This is all IMHO of course. If the shoe fits...as the old saying goes....wear it and be happy.....or not!
The following users liked this post:
5 Acuras (04-04-2014)
Old 11-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Burning Brakes

The noise from these harsher shocks....seems to be from the cover of the spare...and some fenderwell panels that meet up with the metal body.
I too thought this was the case and spent the first 2-3 months of ownership checking every panel, screw nut and bolt etc to try and locate the source of the noise, only to confirm the noise eminates from the shocks.
I drove around with the back half of the car disassembled and still the noise. It wasn't until I replaced the shocks that the noise went away completely. I hate rattles and noises that sound like something calamitous is about to occur be it imagined or otherwise.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Racer

I too thought this was the case and spent the first 2-3 months of ownership checking every panel, screw nut and bolt etc to try and locate the source of the noise, only to confirm the noise eminates from the shocks.
I drove around with the back half of the car disassembled and still the noise. It wasn't until I replaced the shocks that the noise went away completely. I hate rattles and noises that sound like something calamitous is about to occur be it imagined or otherwise.
Did the same with my ILX, and of course the noise is still present. Car sounds like it's going to fall apart. That's how disgusting the suspension/dampers sound. Totally disgusted with my entire experience since getting the ILX.

What's even more disturbing, Acura is claiming that this is a "NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC" of the car.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:20 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

With all due respect...shocks don't make the banging sound like a loose sheet of plywood. Their lack of ability to soften certain road conditions causes the body components and whatever is "loose" to make the sounds we here. I have easily found noisy inner liners loose enough to bang against the sheet metal. The sound of a totally "blown out shock" is distinctive...and the sound we all are hearing is caused by the shock...not the shock itself.

That's my take and I'm sticking to it! LOL! Derived from way too many vehicles owned and my auto and technical background.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:08 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll repeat what I've talked about before on here...yes, the shocks could be better. But, this is not a deal breaker....for most owners I see here. Jumping ship for this is not an option for me and many others. Why?.....because the long list of "good" outweighs the "bad" with the RDX. Compared to other vehicles...price for price what you get...etc, this is one fine SUV. There's not a vehicle out there that doesn't have "some kind of issue" the keeps it from being perfect. And perfect will never happen.

The "love" for this RDX far overcomes the shock issue. It's not like the trans is falling out, etc. Is it "right?" No...we need a better shock. But, until that happens I can certainly live with it...not so terrible....until new ones come around. They are not leaking...I've checked twice. If they were I'd have my dealer replace them.

It always amazes me how some folks can almost seem to go ballistic over something that is not a major issue. It's an "issue" that needs correcting...but, it's not the end of the world. I don't lose any sleep over it. Some on here LOVE to extort the issue to the highest degree....then others get all worked up and want to immediately trade their RDX for a "better SUV." Pretty silly. Yes, each to their own...I get it....but, common sense has to come into play...and unfortunately that is something very few people have. This is all IMHO of course. If the shoe fits...as the old saying goes....wear it and be happy.....or not!
I agree with you, it's just a little disappointing, that's all -- especially from a brand that we all bought in large part because of its reputation for quality.

Put it this way, if this noise were happening on a brand new Chevy, we'd be killing them for it.

I'm not saying this is a watershed event in Acura's history, but ultimately they can't just trade on their reputation for quality, they have to earn it.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Burning Brakes

With all due respect...shocks don't make the banging sound like a loose sheet of plywood. Their lack of ability to soften certain road conditions causes the body components and whatever is "loose" to make the sounds we here. I have easily found noisy inner liners loose enough to bang against the sheet metal. The sound of a totally "blown out shock" is distinctive...and the sound we all are hearing is caused by the shock...not the shock itself.

That's my take and I'm sticking to it! LOL! Derived from way too many vehicles owned and my auto and technical background.
We're all entitled to our opinions. Mine are based on actual testing and experimentation with this vehicle. No hyperbole
involved, just the truth.
The attached document does a good job of explaining what it is we are hearing and what causes it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SAE 2009-01-2091.pdf (505.3 KB, 1092 views)

Last edited by hand-filer; 11-07-2013 at 10:40 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by hand-filer:
5 Acuras (04-04-2014), rbreeze (05-23-2015), Rocket_man (11-07-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Spirited Driver
Even if you were in a lease, am I am?
I can only speculate on what I'd do. If it is a lease you could still replace the dampers and then put the OEMs back on when you return it at the end of the lease.

OR...

Wait for Acura to figure this out. I can't say they are exactly impressing anyone with their mastery of dampers. However they have certainly mastered the art of shining on their customers.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just came back from the Acura dealership today. Had all the shock absorbers/dampers replaced on vehicle with brand new ones under warranty. Clunking noise has gone away completely and the car drivers very smoothly again. I guess I'll wait and see how it holds up especially during the winter months. Will keep you posted.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Jemini84
Just came back from the Acura dealership today. Had all the shock absorbers/dampers replaced on vehicle with brand new ones under warranty. Clunking noise has gone away completely and the car drivers very smoothly again. I guess I'll wait and see how it holds up especially during the winter months. Will keep you posted.
You were able to reproduce the noise from all 4 ends while you/they took it for a test ride?

How were you able to "duplicate" the noise?

Did you ask what was wrong with the ones they replaced? Were they leaking...?
Old 11-21-2013, 08:16 PM
Intermediate

I didn't go with them for a test ride but they did determine that the shocks were "faulty". They didn't say which ones exactly but they did hear noises from both front suspension and the rear. So they ended up replacing all 4 shocks/dampers. Crazy if you ask me that Acura couldn't get it right the first time. Anyhow, hopefully these ones will hold...this is the second time going into them for this issue.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Burning Brakes

One Month Update

It's been a month and we are into day 1 of our first deep freeze so it's time to provide an update and some final thoughts.
-22C this morning and -18C at present. The car is still noise free.
With the colder weather and subsequent higher viscosity of the shock fluid I am experiencing a siffer ride as is to be expected.
Overall I'm satisfied with these shocks and can live with the slightly firmer ride. I feel it is a fair trade off compared to the "sounds like it's falling apart" noises produced by the OEM shocks.
And so it will remain until Honda acknowledges there is an actual problem and issues a recall. I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.
Cheers!
hf
weather (12-07-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 05:41 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My 2014 RDX with 2600km on it has clunked in the rear from day one. It's only during sharp, short hits, and not a bottoming out issue, rather when a quick transition is required.

It actually annoys the heck out of me and makes what should be solid tight ride feel like an econo box ride...

Generally the ride is smooth overall, but its has these moments when....
Old 12-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Suzuka Master

hand-filer....I may follow your direction and install the rear shock of the 2012 RDX and get rid of these. I will talk to my dealership and what they will do for me....Thanks for experimenting and providing us with an option. I am not sure why Acura doesn't recommend their dealers to install a different type of rear shock over trying to solve what is wrong with their OEM rear suspension.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
hand-filer....I may follow your direction and install the rear shock of the 2012 RDX and get rid of these. I will talk to my dealership and what they will do for me....Thanks for experimenting and providing us with an option. I am not sure why Acura doesn't recommend their dealers to install a different type of rear shock over trying to solve what is wrong with their OEM rear suspension.
Not to be alarmist or anything but since I know nothing about how traction control etc is implemented, is it possible this could have any impact? Probably not but just wondering. Also hand-filer can you quantify how much stiffer you think the ride is?
Old 12-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mdfree
Not to be alarmist or anything but since I know nothing about how traction control etc is implemented, is it possible this could have any impact? Probably not but just wondering. Also hand-filer can you quantify how much stiffer you think the ride is?
mdfree,
The shocks will not alter or interfere with the way the traction and stability control systems function. The valving is not that different from the factory shocks.
The KYB's are a single stage mono-tube design and provide a nice controlled ride. They are firmer on smaller impacts and similar on larger impacts.
My impressions are subjective so I can't provide you with measurements or percentages.
I like the noise free ride. The vehicle handles great.
In comparison my brothers 2011 Chevy Equinox rides like a tank and he would be the first to agree.
h-f
Old 12-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Burning Brakes

No problem weather. Acura just doesn't want to admit that these shocks are a flawed design. On the other hand, the service manager at my dealership doesn't have a problem admitting this at all. He has to put up with the stream of customer complaints.
And the sad thing is his hands are tied because he's dealing with cars under warranty so he doesn't have the option of experimenting with aftermarket parts. He did request the part number of the KYB's from me so who knows for sure. I'll quiz him for more information when I'm in for my next service.
Cheers! h-f
Old 12-15-2013, 07:50 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ours have been fine since they were replaced, even in the really cold weather we have now in CT.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:42 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Last winter I had the clunking which was driving me crazy. With the warm weather over the summer the noises dissipated, but I expected them to return this winter. Fortunately, they have appeared. The suspension isn't as quiet as I would like, but the clunking seems to have worked itself out. Perhaps they are broken in now.

I also test drove an MDX tonight. I listened for the clunking and it is there too, but to a lesser extent than the RDX was new. Acura is likely using the same parts manufacturer and this issues is found with the ILX, RDX, and MDX.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife took the RDX to the dealer Thursday. They were able to reproduce the noise. They tried tightening things down to no avail. They refused to replace the dampers because Acura does not recognize the dampers as a problem and will not reimburse them for the repair under warranty. Looks like my first Acura will be my last. I will visit the dealer tomorrow.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:51 AM
1st Gear

My 09 RDX with tech and 92000 miles has been making left rear wheel clunk on rough roads for some time and it's getting worse.

Now that i've read thru most--but not all--of the pages on this topic i have two questions:

1. Do both rear struts need to be replaced at the same time, or will only the noisy one suffice?
2. Anyone have a cost guess for dealership repair?

Thanx and happy new year.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:24 PM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by rafitz
My 09 RDX with tech and 92000 miles has been making left rear wheel clunk on rough roads for some time and it's getting worse.

Now that i've read thru most--but not all--of the pages on this topic i have two questions:

1. Do both rear struts need to be replaced at the same time, or will only the noisy one suffice?
2. Anyone have a cost guess for dealership repair?

Thanx and happy new year.
Your issue is of a different nature, likely wear. Your first gen RDX had single stage shocks that didn't suffer from the same issue the new Rdx experiences. At any rate, you should take it to a shop you trust. Given the age the issue could be shocks, but it also could be bushings, or a broken exhaust hanger...get it checked out by a pro.
rafitz (01-08-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 02:32 PM
Burning Brakes

After 2 weeks of driving in this Arctic Vortex and -30 weather I am still driving a noise free car. All 4 shocks feel like they are filled with grease rather than hydraulic oil though.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:36 PM
Suzuka Master

hand-filer....Thanks for the update. Now you really have me wanting those 2012 RDX shocks on my RDX!!

Arctic Vortex...(lol) I love how the media eat this stuff up and really like to hype things. As a meteorologist, nothing worst than seeing these "wanna-be's" through all this technical terms all over the tv....
Old 01-08-2014, 11:27 PM
Intermediate

Took the RDX to the dealer to listen to the rear chatter last Thursday. The temperature dropped to the low 20s (Atlanta) and the rear became dead silent. Drove to Charlotte NC that afternoon and by the time we got to Charlotte the temperature was back in the 30s and the rear sounded like a bag of bolts again. Totally frustrating.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:39 PM
Burning Brakes

hand-filer....Thanks for the update. Now you really have me wanting those 2012 RDX shocks on my RDX!!

Arctic Vortex...(lol) I love how the media eat this stuff up and really like to hype things. As a meteorologist, nothing worst than seeing these "wanna-be's" through all this technical terms all over the tv....
We laymen just repeat what we hear lol. Speaking of the weather it reached -6C today and it felt like a I was in the tropics, well not really but hey much better.
Shocks are once again functioning like they are supposed to.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:40 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
So my RSX is in the shop for some repairs (the rear hatch struts need replacing) so they gave me a 2014 RDX loaner for a few days. Kona color AWD w/Tech! Having been a member of this forum since summer 2012, the FIRST thing I did when driving was turn off the radio and start listening for clunking in the rear. I heard nothing? I even found myself trying to hit potholes in order to create the clunking everyone complains about. However, I hear nothing.

Maybe driving an RSX (which you hear and feel EVERYTHING) has numbed me to noises? But I feel the vehicle is incredibly quiet and soaks up bumps just fine. So am I numb to these things?

On another note, I had removed the RDX from my list of vehicles to purchase in the Spring... but after having this loaner, it's back on the list. Very nice ride, but the GPS is terrible and a waste of money. Wish I could get the HID's and power liftgate as separate options.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:02 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Napoleon
So my RSX is in the shop for some repairs (the rear hatch struts need replacing) so they gave me a 2014 RDX loaner for a few days. Kona color AWD w/Tech! Having been a member of this forum since summer 2012, the FIRST thing I did when driving was turn off the radio and start listening for clunking in the rear. I heard nothing? I even found myself trying to hit potholes in order to create the clunking everyone complains about. However, I hear nothing.

Maybe driving an RSX (which you hear and feel EVERYTHING) has numbed me to noises? But I feel the vehicle is incredibly quiet and soaks up bumps just fine. So am I numb to these things?

On another note, I had removed the RDX from my list of vehicles to purchase in the Spring... but after having this loaner, it's back on the list. Very nice ride, but the GPS is terrible and a waste of money. Wish I could get the HID's and power liftgate as separate options.
Not all RDXs have the noise. Others in our dealer's lot are very quiet. I can only suspect they may have had a bad batch of dampers. There is no reason that a good one would not be a very satisfying vehicle. We love ours otherwise. It is just frustrating when yours is one of the problem ones.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:36 PM
Intermediate

Hey Guys,

Still using OEM replacement shocks and still no noise/clunking sounds. They were replaced since November 2013 and I've dealt with minus 30 degrees Celsius temperatures. So far so good...will keep you posted.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:10 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We just got our 2014 RDX back from service for this issue. There was also another RDX in for the same service. Bad part number 52610-TX4-A02.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dosa
We just got our 2014 RDX back from service for this issue. There was also another RDX in for the same service. Bad part number 52610-TX4-A02.
What do you mean by bad part number?
Old 01-23-2014, 01:03 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, part that was replace.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dosa
Sorry, part that was replace.
OK, thanks clarifying.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:55 PM
2nd Gear

Greetings all! New to these forums, (as we just purchased a new 2014 RDX in January). Thankfully this tread exists, as we've been going nuts over the clunking noises coming from the rear suspension. I would especially like to thank 'hand-filer' for his methodical approach and persistence in documenting and fixing this issue. I can confirm several things from what I've experienced and read in this thread so far:
- Yes, 2014 RDX's are just as prone to the rear-clunking sounds from the rear suspension
- The dealership, (Erin Mills Acura, Ontario), is not aware of any "new" or "revised" rear strut assembly
- We had both rear struts replaced already which didn't solve anything
- I have Acura Canada involved and filed a formal complaint; they've been polite, but we haven't gotten that serious yet, (they want me to bring the RDX back to the dealer to further "diagnose" the issue).

I plan on bringing some of the material listed here in this thread to the Dealership, more to assist, not to "prove them wrong". (Trying to be diplomatic). I'm sure there hands are tied as there is no formal recall or anything yet.

Hand-filer, (or anyone else who has dealt with this issue), do you think the dealership would be open to the suggestion of replacing the rear suspension to the 2012 RDX OEM struts? Or at the very least 2012 RDX OEM bushings? Was this a direct replacement, or were modifications required to equip the 2012 parts?

I'm sure there just going to auto-replace the rear suspension again with 2014 OEM parts, any suggestions?

Old 02-03-2014, 06:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dark_Chrono
Greetings all! New to these forums, (as we just purchased a new 2014 RDX in January). Thankfully this tread exists, as we've been going nuts over the clunking noises coming from the rear suspension. I would especially like to thank 'hand-filer' for his methodical approach and persistence in documenting and fixing this issue. I can confirm several things from what I've experienced and read in this thread so far:
- Yes, 2014 RDX's are just as prone to the rear-clunking sounds from the rear suspension
- The dealership, (Erin Mills Acura, Ontario), is not aware of any "new" or "revised" rear strut assembly
- We had both rear struts replaced already which didn't solve anything
- I have Acura Canada involved and filed a formal complaint; they've been polite, but we haven't gotten that serious yet, (they want me to bring the RDX back to the dealer to further "diagnose" the issue).

I plan on bringing some of the material listed here in this thread to the Dealership, more to assist, not to "prove them wrong". (Trying to be diplomatic). I'm sure there hands are tied as there is no formal recall or anything yet.

Hand-filer, (or anyone else who has dealt with this issue), do you think the dealership would be open to the suggestion of replacing the rear suspension to the 2012 RDX OEM struts? Or at the very least 2012 RDX OEM bushings? Was this a direct replacement, or were modifications required to equip the 2012 parts?

I'm sure there just going to auto-replace the rear suspension again with 2014 OEM parts, any suggestions?

Hey Dark Chrono,

I would think that a sympathetic dealership would install the 2012 shocks on your vehicle. Unfortunately it would be an out of pocket expense for you because they couldn't do this under warranty.
The 2012 shocks are a direct replacement (I used KYB Part # 349095 More Info ). The top rubber bushing from the 2012 shock will not eliminate the clunking or loose load of lumber sound but possibly might reduce the thumping resonances.
My recommendation would be to replace the entire assembly.
Kudos to you for contacting Acura Corporate. I wish everyone with this issue would do likewise.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:08 PM
2nd Gear

Hey Dark Chrono,

I would think that a sympathetic dealership would install the 2012 shocks on your vehicle. Unfortunately it would be an out of pocket expense for you because they couldn't do this under warranty.
The 2012 shocks are a direct replacement (I used KYB Part # 349095 More Info ). The top rubber bushing from the 2012 shock will not eliminate the clunking or loose load of lumber sound but possibly might reduce the thumping resonances.
My recommendation would be to replace the entire assembly.
Kudos to you for contacting Acura Corporate. I wish everyone with this issue would do likewise.
Many thanks for the direct link. We have the service scheduled for Friday, I'll be happy to provide a full report/findings when we get the vehicle back.

Not sure if I'll have enough time to order the KYB's (yet), so I'm going to start with the 2012 OEM shocks for now, depending on how they react to the suggestion.

At this point, spending the extra $$$ to prevent repeat visits seems more practical. Who knows if Acura will formally address this issue...

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Clunking from rear