P2R Billet Intake Manifold Plenums

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 06:59 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
P2R Billet Intake Manifold Plenums

Some of you have heard of P2R. We have a 1991 Civic with a 2005 J30 engine from an accord Turbo. Here is a picture of the car.

Well we do a lot of research on the J series engines now, as we are also building an All Motor Accord for NHRA Street Stock., and my personal everyday driver is a 2003 CL-S 6 speed. We recently developed an intake plenum for the CL-S intake manifold, as we are going to be running CL-S heads on our Accord. We have been testing them out on my personal Acura CL. We do not currently sell this product, but eventually might release it as a commercial product if there is enough interest in the product.
Here are 2 pictures of how they look.

We are not sure how famaliar all of you are with NHRA Street Stock rules, but in order to race in the class, we are not allowed to exceed 3.0 liters in displacment, that is why we are using the 3.0 engine. The engine we will be racing with will feature 13:1 compression, and a set of custom camshafts that we had developed. I will post up some videos in the near future for some of you to see. But our main goal is to take the NHRA Street Stock east coast title. K24 Civic & CFT B Series Civic basically are the fastest two people in that class right now.

Also here is a really quick and short video of our V6 civic. We have not finished tuning the car yet. Rev limiter was setup at 3300 rpms in this video.

Here is direct link just incase that tag does not work
http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...rrent=dyn1.flv

Also we have alot of J series products in development. Most of them are just parts we make for our own race cars, but we are always intersted in releasin some commercial products for J engines, as we are huge fans of them.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^hey man i dont know if you remember me but i talked to you on honda tech a while back about making more j series parts... but yah man mad propz on your guys' work! you guys should hurry and commercially make these parts for the j series. i'm sure me and a crap load of cl/tl guys would be really interested in new parts, for example your plenums. btw, what kind of gains are you getting with those plenums??
Old 10-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
show me the gains and i'll show you the money.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:31 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CleanCL

I hope this becomes a new successful mod! More info on the proposed idea would be nice too.

Edit: I just noticed you guys are in S. FL, awesome.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:02 PM
i heart latin chicks

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts
I second that notion.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:29 PM
B A N N E D

Where in Miami is this shop ? I wanna pass by and check it out
Old 10-08-2007, 09:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
sounds like a variation of the mystery mod ...howabout some details about what this plenum does ?
Old 10-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Well...it's kinda fast...

Hmmm...similar to the old "mystery mod" but with a "real" team behind it. I know these work wonders on Nissan Q-series engines so I'm definitely interested.

edit: Ahh, typeR beat me to it.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
I would buy it with it has somewhat gain to it,
Old 10-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Turbo 6 Speed

Im in if these are produced. We need more performance parts made for our j series so anything that can be done is all good.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:59 PM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Hell yeah, we need more perfomance parts for the J motors, because really there is nothing. What kind of gains did you see with those plenums? I will assume the factory covers do not fit back over them, correct? Thats awesome you put a J30 in a civic, there is a pic floating around here of an EK civic with a J32 in it. Keep up with the good work, and keep us posted for sure!
Old 10-08-2007, 10:27 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 02type-s
Hell yeah, we need more perfomance parts for the J motors, because really there is nothing. What kind of gains did you see with those plenums? I will assume the factory covers do not fit back over them, correct? Thats awesome you put a J30 in a civic, there is a pic floating around here of an EK civic with a J32 in it. Keep up with the good work, and keep us posted for sure!

I wonder what sort of plenum work could be done with the TypeS? Something along the lines of a resonance chamber mod, ops. Sorry, I don't really want to RESurect the dead.

Damn, I get sloppy 3rds. TypeR and 2CLean jumped on this already.

Ruf
Old 10-08-2007, 10:28 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 10-08-2007, 11:11 PM
Suzuka Master

so i took a closer look at this...

it appears the mid section w/ the velocity stack funnels remains stock. it apears you enlarged the outer plenum and boxed it out versus the rounded stock. so by that you are:
1) increased intake plenum capacity
2) more equal distribution of air to each cylinder

one thing i note on this, you can only intake as much as the throttle body allows. the higher capacity does not necessarily mean more flow, it just means more air in a given space. typically the larger the area, the slower air moves.

while this has potential, we need to see direct before/after gains on something a bit more streetable. i.e. not a turbo 6speed civic hybrid. so i think you should make me a set ( i will pay of course ) and i will do before/after dynos in the same day since those pieces are easily swappable.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:44 PM
OG 3.x^7 rawr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wonder if boring out my TB might pay off even better
Old 10-09-2007, 12:16 AM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Lets see some more info! You making a larger Throttle body to go with these?
Old 10-09-2007, 01:09 AM
Advance

x10 some cams would be great also
Old 10-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by SPoolinspOON
I wonder if boring out my TB might pay off even better

Yes, a larger TB would help. You can DIY by taking it to a machine shop or go here.

http://www.kingmotorsports.com/category.aspx?cat=61

Ruf
Old 10-09-2007, 08:21 AM
Instructor

Clean CL
These are being tested on my stock 2003 CL-S 6 speed. Not on my V6 turbo civic. And my Cl is my everyday driver, so its not being tested on a crazy setup . I want to make sure gains can be made on a stock engine.
And Yes TB size would need to be increased to make more HP. As of right now, by bolting up these plenums we have seen 5.7 HP & 1.2 Ft lb gain; however, this is just by bolting them up. Gains will be bigger if TB was bored.

Gains will even be better if the car even had a Header or Exhaust , but dont be fooled, the gains of 5.7 hp is huge, as it actually creates power throughout the complete power ban. The air/fuel ratio on the car currently with the plenums on are around 12:1. Which is very rich. I am going to Install a VAFC 2 tommrrow, and lean it up some closer to 13:1 and I am sure we can see another 6 hp or so out of the plenums.

If you guys can tell from the picture, I am also running one of my Thermal intake gaskets. These help huge on these engines, as it keeps the intake manifold alot cooler. I installed the thermal gasket will still retaining stock plenums, to make sure that plenum HP was Plenum Hp and not helped along with the gasket.

Also if you guys notice, we also have a TB spacer installed. This mod was actually good for 4 HP throughout the rpm band, but TQ stayed the same. When I go to the shop, I will upload some of the dyno graphs.

SPoolinspOON
Boring out your TB will surly help make some gains. What I noticed when I bored out the TB on my ACCORD (not the CL). I didnt see any gains, without adjusting the air/fuel a bit. My HP & TQ on dyno with bigger TB was the exact same, but after adjusting the air/fuel to match, I picked up about 3 hp.

datzdaboi
The shop is actually in Ft.Lauderdale.

On a side note. I hear some of you guys talking about mystery mod, but Team Honda Research & Development runs our products on there 2007 TL-S race car.
This shows that gains/ quality of our J series products is good.
Notice the small sticker on the front splitter
Old 10-09-2007, 08:32 AM
Lead Footed

deletions

Originally Posted by PowerRev
Clean CL
SPoolinspOON

On a side note. I hear some of you guys talking about mystery mod, but Team Honda Research & Development runs our products on there 2007 TL-S race car.
This shows that gains/ quality of our J series products is good.
Notice the small sticker on the front splitter
The Mystery Mod as it was first called was developed by a guy on the forum called SynCivic. He was a tech at a Florida shop as I recall. The official name was RES, for Resonance Chamber. There were some pics of it and it was taken to SEMA years ago. As I recall the project fell apart for 2 reasons. One was because he couldn't get enough upfront buyers to pay for the 1st round of production. Second was because he was having trouble finding a shop that could reproduce it they way he wanted it done. One of the key design features was the use of some reed valves. The dyno results where something like 12-15HP and 10-12ft across the power band. Many of us still deam about a mod like this.

Anyway, serveral have tried to recreate it, but most were really just plenum spacer that was slightly thicker than the Thermoblock spacer. Others have tried to get him to provide us the design and let someone else have it reproduced. All have failed to date.

Ruf
Old 10-09-2007, 09:11 AM
Suzuka Master

i'm interested in what it gives my setup... intake... bored TB... ported/polished IMs... thermal gaskets... exhaust... oh and 3.5L
Old 10-09-2007, 09:47 AM
EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE!

If the gains are real then start up the production process. I think everyone is gonna want a taste.

And I just happened to recieve 2 intake manifold spacers and tb spacers, IACV and new map sensor for those people that are getting system to rich codes. That fixed it for me. So there should be juust a little more kick to it. And quite honestly, ive never felt my car this powerful since they have been installed. This is not just in my head thinking it is, there is a huge differance then when I just had 1 installed. But the temp outside also did go down to 45 degrees here. So maybe thats why but damn Im lovin how it feels.

Clearance is no issue. I would suggest this to everyone as well.

One:

Two:

Old 10-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm interested in what it gives my setup... intake... bored TB... ported/polished IMs... thermal gaskets... exhaust... oh and 3.5L
+1 for letting CleanCL test out the intake manifold plenums. He is the forum guinea pig.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:27 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the gains are real and somewhat significant ~10hp, you can count me in for a set, no question about it. I've been looking and waiting for these for quite some time...so has my money.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:29 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally Posted by RUF87
Yes, a larger TB would help. You can DIY by taking it to a machine shop or go here.

http://www.kingmotorsports.com/category.aspx?cat=61

Ruf

I have a better deal than most since King Motorsports is 5 minutes from my house
Old 10-09-2007, 10:30 AM
140,000 miles young

ha this was like christmas stumbling upon this thread today. It's great to see the potential for new mods coming out for our engines. Like others have said if somebody (CleanCL?) tests these out and they show some gains - maybe also see how they pair with other mods - then I'm interested. They'd look badass under the hood too
Old 10-09-2007, 11:04 AM
OG 3.x^7 rawr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I really want to see what the gains will add for me. My wording was a bit weird, but what I ment to say was slapping in the Plenums with my bored throttle body would make a big differnace then stock size TB with the plenums. My car at the mustang dyno pulled 233whp/209tq with K&N w resonator removed, XS headers, bored TB, TB spacer. This and a mild cam would be awsome!
Old 10-09-2007, 11:15 AM
666 Speed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll try them too... I want to see what it would be like with the bored and polished IM bored TB I have..

I'll dyno also if you decide to produce.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Instructor

Ok, just to keep everyone on the same page. The plenums will not make a 10 hp increase on a totally stock motor by just bolting them on. We gained just about 6hp on my CL-S, by just bolting them on. We are going to install the VAFC on it and see how much more we can pull out of it. I just dont want people to come to the conclusion that the product is something you buy, put on, and boom see 12 Hp.

Don't get me wrong though. This is probably one of the easiest mods to install. it bolts right up and plugs right back in to the vactory vacuum lines, and intake air temp sensor. My engine that i am testing it on, has factory header, and exhaust. I am sure a car with more mods will see a few more hp. Espically with someone who is 3.5 liter.

All in all, this is going to be a product that makes decent gains, and will help more and more with the more thats done to the engine, and it also looks really cool lol

RUF87
I actually had a set of hollow stem valves made for my Accord. Will not be able to tell you what kind of gains were seen from them, as motor is going back together with the high compression pistons and custom camshafts all at once.

2003TL-S

If you are interested in starting to make some real hp out of your car, I would sugguest you look into some kind of piggy back ecu (vafc, emanage, etc) , so that you will be able to maximize the gains with any mods you purchase. Trust me, tuning makes so much more HP.

We are actually running a 80mm tb on our Civic
Old 10-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by PowerRev

where can i get this?
Old 10-09-2007, 12:02 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~

2003TL-S

If you are interested in starting to make some real hp out of your car, I would sugguest you look into some kind of piggy back ecu (vafc, emanage, etc) , so that you will be able to maximize the gains with any mods you purchase. Trust me, tuning makes so much more HP.

[/QUOTE]

Well maybe I am doing it backwards, but I would rather get all the parts I can on it then get vacf and have it tuned with everything there. Did you make that 80mm TB???
Old 10-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Banned

so uhh...... when or can we expect some of these p2r parts to be sold?
Old 10-09-2007, 01:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 193 Likes on 150 Posts
im def interested...i would buy today!
Old 10-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by sinfulj32
so uhh...... when or can we expect some of these p2r parts to be sold?
Through us. We are P2R's only distributor in the US right now. There are some other dealers but we have begun distribution of their product in the past few months.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by 2003TL-S
I have a better deal than most since King Motorsports is 5 minutes from my house
You lucky dog you.

Ruf
Old 10-09-2007, 03:20 PM
666 Speed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by artbran
I'll try them too... I want to see what it would be like with the bored and polished IM bored TB I have..

I'll dyno also if you decide to produce.

I know I'm quoting myself, but with everything said, I wonder how it would work with my car being the way that it is right now with no cat and a completely free flowing exhaust...

either way, let us all know when these go for sale...
Old 10-09-2007, 03:28 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
Through us. We are P2R's only distributor in the US right now. There are some other dealers but we have begun distribution of their product in the past few months.
any word on whether or not P2R products for the J-series motor will be available to the public?
Old 10-09-2007, 05:42 PM
EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE!

^^^ What he said

And is there before/after pictures of the TB bore. I tried finding some but just found after pics.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Pro

Let's see... I/H/E TB spacers, 3.5 build up, cams, bored throttle body, VSA delete, and new plenums and VAFC. This engine is shaping up to be a nice NA set up alone. This might end up being nastier than any SC'ed set up.

A turbo set up with all this would probably see 500+ HP easily, but everything being FWD tire shredding and slippage would be your eventual doom.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by CLsuperhero
Let's see... I/H/E TB spacers, 3.5 build up, cams, bored throttle body, VSA delete, and new plenums and VAFC. This engine is shaping up to be a nice NA set up alone. This might end up being nastier than any SC'ed set up.

A turbo set up with all this would probably see 500+ HP easily, but everything being FWD tire shredding and slippage would be your eventual doom.

Slap a S/C on top of that N/A set up and It'll make even more power. So I don't know about being nastier than any SC'ed set up.

And ThinJim's turbo was making well over 500bhp.

Quick Reply: P2R Billet Intake Manifold Plenums