NY/NJ New Jersey & New York

Bad experience with a wheel repair shop

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 12:59 PM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Bad experience with a wheel repair shop

A local tire shop made the mistake of spraying brake cleaner on my new M-Classics and it ate the clear coat off of the lip on two wheels. The wheels are discontinued and hard to find so they pointed me to a mobile wheel repair company in NJ. The wheel shop is paying for the repair, and pointed me to this company called NJ Wheel Repair in Holmdel (central) NJ. In the interest of being fair, I will leave out any conjecture, and only state the facts.
  1. It took 3 weeks to get the first appointment. The appointment was for 10:00am. They did not show up and did not call until several hours later to inform me that they couldn't do it until another week later.
  2. The following Monday I called them to confirm the appointment. The call was met with antagonism for bothering them.
  3. They arrived on time at the right place.
  4. The finished product was well below my standards for the following reasons:
  • The lip looks as though it was painted silver and not clear coated as it was originally.
  • Every lug hole was gouged out from their sockets.
  • There was a 5" long by 2 1/2" set of scratches left directly above and behind the wheel well they were working at. (please note: I cannot PROVE that this was done by their company as was pointed out very clearly by the owner/employee that did the work. However, I know every nick and scratch on the car and there were none prior to the work performed. The car was parked on a street that it is parked on several times a week, so it is possible that someone came along and did this) My wife saw it when she left to come home, so it happened sometime while it was there.
I went back to the original wheel shop and showed them everything that was done. They apologized and urged me to try to find a replacement set of wheels. I found them and they are paying in full for the new set, as well as having the body work repaired and paying the bill. I'm happy the original tire shop made good, because I would have been out of luck. The pictures below show what the lips look like with and without their "repair". I also have a picture of the scratches. I personally would not use this company again. In my opinion, there is a complete lack of professionalism. But please note, these are my opinions.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

SCRATCHES:

Old 06-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
damn that sux dude...scratches look like they will buff out......but it def looks like they painted the lip silver....but for sure i will stay away from that place.....
Old 06-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
als hub caps is the shit