Scott Speed cut by Toro Rosso

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 08:27 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,078 Likes on 774 Posts
Scott Speed cut by Toro Rosso

Two weeks after it was announced Formula One was leaving the United States, the lone American in the series is now gone.

SPEEDtv.com has learned that Scott Speed will be replaced -- immediately -- on the Scuderia Toro Rosso Formula One team following a stormy weekend at the Nurburgring.

A source inside the Red Bull-sponsored team confirmed that Speed got his walking papers Monday after a physical confrontation with team manager Franz Tost. German Sebastian Vettel is the likely choice to replace the young American.

"As far as I know, Scott has not been released and he's planning to go to the test this week in Italy," said Mike Speed, father of the former go-kart star, from his California home on Monday night.

"But, obviously, there's been a lot of things going on."

After spinning out of last Sunday's German Grand Prix, along with six other drivers during a sudden downpour at the 'Ring, Speed and Tost got into a shouting, then shoving match.

And this came on the heels of the 24-year-old's first public statements about his treatment since becoming a full-time F1 regular in 2006.

“It’s clear that from my bosses, that me and Tonio (Liuzzi) both have very little support," Speed told RACER magazine's Adam Cooper last weekend. "It’s been that way for the last two years, and it’s a lot more now. At some point I said I don’t care, if I’m not in F1 next year, if I’m with a different team, it’s OK for me. It’s actually made me lot more relaxed and a lot more calm, and I think I’m producing better results now actually.

"It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to read the press and know that Franz and Gerhard (Berger) are pushing like hell to get rid of me and Tonio."

Even though Speed has out-performed his teammate this year, neither has scored a point and Scott's best showing was ninth at the Canadian Grand Prix. The Toro Rosso team is under-funded, by F1 standards, and half of Speed's eight DNFs in 2007 have been mechanical failures.

SPEEDtv.com speculated several weeks ago that three-time Champ Car king Sebastien Bourdais and Bruno Senna would replace Speed and Liuzzi in 2008 but, if Vettel is released from his contract with BMW, it appears he will join Bourdais.

"Nothing is official, they (Toro Rosso) have an option on me that expires at the end of this month so if something is going to happen it will have to be soon," said Bourdais, who tested for the third time with Toro Rosso earlier this month.

Speed was first chosen by the energy drinks company as part of its U.S.-based Red Bull Driver Search program, which funded the Californian's climb through Europe's junior formulae ranks all the way to F1. It's logical he might be able to use that connection to come to Champ Car since that series needs young American drivers. Co-owners Gerald Forsythe and Kevin Kalkhoven currently sport Red Bull sponsorship.

"We haven't discussed anything like that," said Mike Speed. "Scott never wanted to do anything but F1 and I don't think that's changed."
It was inevitable. Sebastian Bourdais should get the seat, but I doubt that N/H/L would release him in the middle of the season.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:05 AM
~HondaF1~

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Still awaiting confirmation though .....

This really sux b/c either way he's out next year.......
Old 07-24-2007, 03:33 PM
aka davo-tsx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
28 races, 12 retirements, 0 points, an average finish of 12, and 19th in the WDC....who didn't see this coming????
Old 07-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by davo-cls
28 races, 12 retirements, 0 points, an average finish of 12, and 19th in the WDC....who didn't see this coming????
Being with that team did little to help those stats
Old 07-24-2007, 04:26 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,141 Likes on 816 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Being with that team did little to help those stats
Exactly, even Michael Shumucher wouldn't fare better if he were to race in that shitty car.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:16 PM
~HondaF1~

Still not confirmed.....
Old 07-25-2007, 11:46 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Speed tested with the team today, so it looks like SpeedTV was a little premature on the sacking.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,919 Likes on 3,511 Posts
Well, maybe not too premature as it surely is coming F-C. When you say things like "I can never drive for that guy again (Tost) and they (Berger/Tost) are trying to push me out" you are a goner. On Autosport.com they're reporting what really happened in that confrontation and it goes like this basically: Speed/Tost argue on the pitwall after he crashes out (5th of 6 cars to do so); Speed walks away; Tost catches up; Tost punches or pushes him w/ a fist in the back; the two of them continue yelling at each other; Tost grabs Speed's nomex under his neck and rips it. Later Tost/Berger appear at Speed's room and the former apologizes for "15 minutes" to Speed. No matter how you cut it, Speed
Old 07-26-2007, 11:21 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I wonder what the org chart of Red Bull and Toro Rosso looks like. If Tost is an employee of Red Bull, he should be sacked, as I'm sure Red Bull is like any other proper company, and has an employee manual that would clearly site actions which would lead to dismissals. My guess is that Toro Rosso is set up independently from Red Bull, and Tost is probably at least a shareholder of the team, which would make his firing more difficult.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:13 PM
Senior Moderator

I'd guess he is an employee (Tost) as he is listed as "team mgr" on the website while Berger is listed as "co-owner." Yes, he should be reprimanded hard. Speed is testing today tho so time will tell.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:10 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Wonder will Speed will land if he does depart the Torro Rosso team? GP2? F1 tester? CC? ICS?

Personally, I would like to see Speed join Buddy Rice at Dreyer Reinbold in the ICS, but that's only going to happen if Red Bull steps up ponies up some more cash.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:11 AM
~HondaF1~

Bourdais will (probably) race 4 STR next year ......

After realizing that the whole world knows about the 'scuffle', they're probably just gonna let him finish the year.....
Old 07-27-2007, 07:11 AM
~HondaF1~

Originally Posted by Tripp11
Wonder will Speed will land if he does depart the Torro Rosso team? GP2? F1 tester? CC? ICS?
Out of those choices I think he'll go to Champ Car......
Old 07-27-2007, 07:12 AM
Newbie for Life

Originally Posted by R J Poseidon 6
Out of those choices I think he'll go to Champ Car......
As do I, and I hope he does well.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:16 AM
~HondaF1~

Yeah, me 2....

It would be nice to have a couple more cars on that grid anyway.....
Old 07-27-2007, 10:16 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I can see Speed joining Jani at Red Bull/PKV Racing next year. Or he might do a straight swap with Bourdais.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Newbie for Life

Originally Posted by R J Poseidon 6
Yeah, me 2....

It would be nice to have a couple more cars on that grid anyway.....
Actually both major AOW groups need more cars on the grid, and not cars funded primarily by the owners of those cars. We need full sponsored cars with quality shoes filling those rides.....

Seems like only yesterday when I was watching AOW racing in the early 90's...
Old 07-31-2007, 07:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Speed OUT, Vettel IN

UPDATE

Vettel got released from his BMW contract allowing him to pursue his desire to drive and replaces Speed. More here:

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=40208

With language like "I've lost all faith" and "I cannot drive for this man ever again" is it any wonder Speed is out!? What an idiot.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:24 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
UPDATE

Vettel got released from his BMW contract allowing him to pursue his desire to drive and replaces Speed. More here:

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=40208

With language like "I've lost all faith" and "I cannot drive for this man ever again" is it any wonder Speed is out!? What an idiot.

Principle vs. job?

I wonder what Speed's options are now? Is he still on Red Bull's payroll?
Old 08-01-2007, 02:59 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

It may be an exercise in futility now that America has lost its sole Formula 1 driver, but Toro Rosso team principal Franz Tost added more fuel to the fire of the controversy of his altercation with Scott Speed by denying to have grabbed the Californian by the neck – something he was accused of doing by the driver – during their argument at the European Grand Prix.

“There were a couple of people who saw. He grabbed me right below the neck, on my fireproof T-shirt, and jerked me back and forth, let go, and then pushed me into the wall behind where the cars are,” Speed told SpeedTV.com’s Adam Cooper last week.

Tost says he did not grab Speed by the neck, adding that the incident was provoked when Speed was very critical of the team after his pit stop was delayed following torrential rain at the Nurburgring. Speed retired from the race after spinning out when the downpour hit the track.

"When Scott came to the pit wall after going off the track, he complained about the very bad performance of the team because of the delay he suffered during the pit stop," Tost told Italy’s Autosprint.

"By contrast, I firstly asked him why he went off, then I tried to explain to him that he was the one who actually caused the chaos, but he didn't listen to me. He carried on wanting to know why the team took so long to change his tires when he came into the pits. It seemed like that was his only worry, while mine is, most of all, that the team are not put in doubt and their job not denigrated.

"There was a reason why the pit stop lasted that long: in his in lap Scott overtook our other car - that of Vitantonio Liuzzi - in the last sector. The GPS fit on our cars did not show that Scott had overtaken Tonio, cutting through the chicane, just before entering the pitlane. [The GPS] maybe didn't have enough time to catch the move. The team there, who were expecting to see Tonio coming, were left dumbfounded and were unprepared. Scott overtook his teammate by avoiding the chicane and I think he would have had to give back the position to avoid a penalty, if he stayed in the race.

"That's why I got upset: I was annoyed by his attitude, by the fact that his only worry seemed to blame the team. I mean, he went off the track, he made a mistake: I make mistakes every day as well, that's not the problem. But I can't tolerate that he casts a cloud over the work of the team.

"That's why, when he turned around to leave, I followed him and grabbed him by the shoulder. 'While I'm talking to you,' I said, 'you can't leave like this.' I deny having grabbed him by the neck, while it's true that, once I had calmed down, I apologized to him."

Yesterday it was confirmed that Speed has been given his walking papers by the team. German rookie Sebastien Vettel will replace him alongside Tonio Liuzzi.
Tost's version.

IMO, both Speed and Tost should be off the team.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:14 AM
~HondaF1~

Originally Posted by davo-cls
He outperformed Liuzzi in every way all year ( & last year! ), qualy, passing, posistion in championship & end of races, etc. etc.....

It's political bullshit.....
Old 08-06-2007, 08:16 AM
~HondaF1~

Originally Posted by F-C
I wonder what Speed's options are now? Is he still on Red Bull's payroll?
They are supposed to announce that this week his his contract is still good......

He should go to Champ Car.