Indy Car Racing Unified

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 07:04 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,119 Likes on 803 Posts
Indy Car Racing Unified

To anyone that still cares, the 11 year debacle is over...

Tony George, Kevin Kalkhoven and Gerry Forsythe officially agreed Friday to bury the hatchet instead of each other.

The long-awaited unification of open-wheel racing got the signatures of the three principals and the stamp of approval from drivers, mechanics and owners on both sides of this costly 12-year war. A press conference will be held at Homestead, Fla. during next week’s IRL open test, probably on Wednesday.

Champ Car ceased operation at mid-afternoon and a press release was issued as George was flying back from Chicago where he visited Forsythe, who has owned Champ Car with Kalkhoven since 2004.

Kalkhoven had reportedly signed off early Friday morning on the agreement to put open-wheel under the Indy Racing League umbrella.

“I’m happy for open-wheel racing, its fans, sponsors and teams,” said George late Friday afternoon. “Everyone has wanted this for a long time and they deserve it. I had about 100 emails when I landed, so obviously a lot of people are excited.

“There’s no reason for anybody to gloat or to feel down because, in the end, we’ve all come together.”

Tony Kanaan, who competed in CART from 1998-2001 before moving to the IRL with Andretti Green Racing, has long been an advocate of one series.

“It’s great, I’m very excited to race against some old friends and get everything back together,” said the 2004 IRL champion. “To get some of their good teams and venues is all good.

”Now the people who claim they only watch IRL or Champ Car have no more excuses not to watch us because we’re are one. It’s not gonna fix all the problems but at least it’s back together.”

After the Champ Car teams were told earlier in the week to stop working on their Panoz cars because they would be receiving Dallara chassis to get ready for 2008, the negotiations seemed to bog down when, in fact, it was more a fact of attorneys on both sides trying to sort out the myriad of details.

”It’s been tough, but now the real work starts,” said George, who is expected to add Long Beach, Edmonton and Australia to the ’08 schedule, although Long Beach will likely have only the former Champ Car teams competing since Motegi, Japan is also being run.

It’s believed Newman/Haas/Lanigan (Graham Rahal and Justin Wilson), PKV Racing (Oriol Servia). Walker Racing (Will Power) and Conquest Racing (Franck Berera) are definites to join the IRL, with PKV and Conquest expected to field two cars.

Minardi Team USA, Forsythe, RocketSports, Dale Coyne and Pacific Coast Motorsports remain question marks.

None of the Champ Car teams will be ready for the oval-track test next Wednesday-Thursday and will have to scramble to make Sebring on March 3-6. But the IRL will give the Champ Car teams their own oval track testing next month prior to the March 29th opener.

Because Long Beach is operated by Kalkhoven and Forsythe, a skeleton crew of a half-dozen Champ Car employees will be retained through the annual street race fest. The remaining CC staff received four weeks severance pay plus an additional week for every year of service since 2004.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,101 Likes on 3,608 Posts
It's about damn time. I was so sick of George and his "It's my baseball and the game is over" attitude (if you don't race in my league, you don't race at my track). Let's get it on as Willy T. Ribbs used to say
Old 02-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Teh McLovin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its 'bout time. I will admit that I will start watching American open-wheel racing again. Hopefully, over time, it will rise to the prominence that it once had in the US.

I think I'll be going to the Infineon race this season.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:13 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
I don't know.

I never thought Baseball was the same after the infamous strike shortened season several years ago, and to this day, I don't have the passion for it that I once did.

Back in the day when USAC ran the open wheel series and CART split off and "won", they made it work. But this split, CART/ChampCar vs IRL never worked out. In the aftermath, I wonder if they can regain their former glory.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:25 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
I don't know.

I never thought Baseball was the same after the infamous strike shortened season several years ago, and to this day, I don't have the passion for it that I once did.

Back in the day when USAC ran the open wheel series and CART split off and "won", they made it work. But this split, CART/ChampCar vs IRL never worked out. In the aftermath, I wonder if they can regain their former glory.
True. Champ Car and IRL merging is like two drunks trying to help each other cross the street. It will take years, if ever, for the new series to regain what CART used to have.

I'm just going to stick to F1.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:40 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,144 Likes on 817 Posts
Champ Car (CC) has no choice but to do so. All top CC drivers have moved to IRL. CC event attendances have been dangling. CC don't get to run in the prestige Indy 500. The only foreseeable future for CC is bankrupcy.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:43 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
It's about damn time. I was so sick of George and his "It's my baseball and the game is over" attitude (if you don't race in my league, you don't race at my track). Let's get it on as Willy T. Ribbs used to say

But that's what happened in the end. They're all playing with his ball now.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:45 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Champ Car (CC) has no choice but to do so. All top CC drivers have moved to IRL. CC event attendances have been dangling. CC don't get to run in the prestige Indy 500. The only foreseeable future for CC is bankrupcy.
Not to mention that Champ Car didn't even have a realistic televison schedule for 2008.

The first step the new IndyCar has to take is to reformat their 2009 schedule to make it reflect what CART used to have, a mix of road courses, street courses, short ovals, and superspeedways. Then they have to come up for a new formula for the cars, because the current cars sux. Maybe then the fans will come back, followed by sponsors and manufacturer support.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by F-C
The first step the new IndyCar has to take is to reformat their 2009 schedule to make it reflect what CART used to have, a mix of road courses, street courses, short ovals, and superspeedways. Then they have to come up for a new formula for the cars, because the current cars sux. Maybe then the fans will come back, followed by sponsors and manufacturer support.
Actually, that is EXACTLY what TG and KK said on WindTunnel last night, and I wholeheartedly agree. The new ICS needs to have diversity between the various driving disciplines. 2009 will allow them to work the schedule and start sliding some of the premier races from both series.

As for the car specs, I believe 2010 the ICS has the new specs being instituted. TG indicated last night on WindTunnel that everything is on the table and he hopes to have engine and chassis competition in 2010.

Frankly, this was the ONLY way AOW was going to survive. Now I only wish the diehards on both sides of the aisle would extend/accept the olive branch and go racing. This stupid "Hatfield v. McCoy" shit is getting old.