INDY!!! Bridgestone tiretest....

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005 | 08:43 PM
Senior Moderator

My dad and I were joking on the way home 1/2 way through the race btw, when he said "Maybe if we're lucky, Rubens and Schumi will take each other out." Now that would have been hysterical and little did I know it almost happened till my wife called me on the road and told us that!
Old 06-20-2005 | 09:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gsclifton
True, at $6 per Fosters, they made some coin on that alone .... but I am not sure there was enough beer on hand to prepare the fans (me included) for the ensuing fiasco.
oh yea... amount of $$ I spent on Foster's: $0.

and no, I didn't steal any, lol.
Old 06-20-2005 | 09:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
My dad and I were joking on the way home 1/2 way through the race btw, when he said "Maybe if we're lucky, Rubens and Schumi will take each other out." Now that would have been hysterical and little did I know it almost happened till my wife called me on the road and told us that!
Yeah how stupid was that... I mean seriously. They are so lucky they didn't actually collide, that would have been quite the funny F1 story....

How about the Indian dude at the start??? He almost took out like 2 cars!!!! And that is out of a field of 5!!! (not counting him) - WHAT was that all about??? Honestly I hope he is not racing in F1 next year... I really don't think he has the skill. The start he made at Indy should be reason enough.

No hate but damn, enough is enough.....
Old 06-20-2005 | 09:16 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by srika
oh yea... amount of $$ I spent on Foster's: $0.

and no, I didn't steal any, lol.
Foster's is like water... I would die drowning before dying of alcool poisoning.

Man I'm happy I didn't go this week end....
Old 06-20-2005 | 09:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by YBA
Foster's is like water... I would die drowning before dying of alcool poisoning.
umm.. people react to different alcohol in different ways...

hard drinks do (almost) nothing to me.... shots, mixed drinks are like water to me - with two exceptions - rum runners and long island's LOL..... but they sometimes make me feel sick too. But beer... beer hits me pretty damn hard.

srika @ F1:
Old 06-20-2005 | 11:35 PM
Suzuka Master

all tire manufactures can send two set of tires. 1 for full racing, and 1 for backup safety ones. michlen failed to send any of the backup saftey tires that would of finshed the race but would have ran the cars slowers.... bridgestone was penilized earliar in the season w/ blowouts and stuff and sucked it up.... bending the rules just to make the majority of the teams happy would of been worse IMO
Old 06-21-2005 | 12:15 AM
Senior Moderator

if the Michelin teams decided to run anyway and just "go slower" in the last turn, you know what would have happened right..... Ferrari would have just been lapping them like no tomorrow.... I think that is something the teams did not want to see.... among other factors. So perhaps pride was also at stake here...
Old 06-21-2005 | 12:04 PM
_____ like a rabbit

FIA reveal Michelin team charges

The seven Michelin teams who pulled out of Sunday’s race at Indianapolis are to face charges of breaching the International Sporting Code by committing "one or more acts prejudicial to the interests of a competition, namely the 2005 United States Grand Prix, and/or to the interests of motor sport generally."

In identical letters to the seven team bosses published by the FIA on Tuesday, Formula One’s governing body, who has summoned the teams to appear before the World Motor Sport Council next Wednesday, listed a number of charges.

The charges given are that, according to the FIA, each team:

• failed to ensure that they had a supply of suitable tyres for the race
• wrongfully refused to allow their cars to start the race
• wrongfully refused to allow their cars to race, subject to a speed restriction in one corner which was safe for such tyres as they had available
• combined with other teams to make a demonstration damaging to the image of Formula One by pulling into the pits immediately before the start of the race
• failed to notify the stewards of their intention not to race, in breach of Article 131 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations.

Article 131 states: "The starting grid will be published four hours before the race. Any competitor whose car(s) is (are) unable to start for any reason whatsoever (or who has good reason to believe that their car(s) will not be ready to start) must inform the stewards accordingly at the earliest opportunity and, in any event, no later than 45 minutes before the start of the race.”

The FIA told the teams they will be sent a full dossier of the charges within the next 24 hours and invited them to send any comments they should have in writing prior to their meeting with the Council in Paris on June 29.
source: F1.com
Old 06-21-2005 | 10:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
bending the rules just to make the majority of the teams happy would of been worse IMO
True. But from a competition standpoint only. Since F1 lives on revenue directly and indirectly generated through sponsorship, broadcast audiences and other fan-related by-products, it isn't black and white anymore. One must respect what the public brings to F1, and that is the big money. So bending the rules as a compromise suddenly doesn't seem so unappropriate. Who would want to race, but with no revenue, because a set of rules so rigid would prohibit any public interest?
Old 07-07-2005 | 11:58 AM
Instructor

Long rant about the FIA..

The F1 regulations reguarding tires is just plain retarded. One set of tires for qualifying and the race, and the only time that you can change a tire is if it gets a puncture? I understand that they are wanting to have a tire to last the entire race and to lower the speeds, but give me a break, is that really racing? Isn't racing all about seeing who can go around the track in the least time? F1 is the top ranks of racing, open the rules and say, go as fast as you can safely with a v12 or v10 engine (V8 or Rev-limited V10 next year). I do understand the need to make it so that there is competition by limiting the engine so that everyone in the class has a shot. But isn't part of racing what happens in the pits too? like with tire changes, when those changes are made? I don't even like NASCAR but at least they let the tires be changed. Max and Bernie need to go.... or the teams need to split off and form another series.

Michellin screwed up... that is a given and they have acknowleged that, they didn't do the testing that they should have and didn't send the right tires. and they at least appear poised to do the right thing by the fans.

The teams were just looking out for the safety of the drivers and the fans, can't fault them for that.

The track at IMS has a 21 second foot flat on the floor section (the longest in F1), which is great for us U.S. fans that are used to flat out racing, but honestly, what would it have hurt the FIA to allow the chiccane? Every team would have had to deal with it, it would have made the race safe for ALL the teams to run and it would have given the fans what they paid for, a race, not a Bridgestone test session.

What it turned into was a pissing contest between the FIA and Michellin, with the fans caught in the middle. But from my point of view, Michellin was not able to compete and the FIA pissed all over the fans.

F1 changed the qualifying rules mid-stream this year, they need to change that stupid tire rule too. If you can't afford tires for your F1 car, you need to get out of F1 and race in a lower form, like NASCAR. (NASCAR = go fast, turn left, dont pass the guy cleanly, just bang him out of your way!!)